ADVERTISEMENT

DJ JeffrieS Decommits from UK....

wonder if Cal knew this earlier & that is why he went so hard after the kid from Illinois?

I have info on this...

If you go back to my post in late March I got blasted for saying he probably would end up a Cat.

Posting later this evening...

I remember when you posted this, and knew you were right at the time. It wasn't a sure thing, but was certainly trending that way.
I disagreed with a couple opinions on that post -- but not this one. I forget what else you said - perhaps that knox was returning??

Your post from march is a perfect example for a discussion I was having earlier. No one will be correct all the time, and some posters like to bang on people when they whiff, and suggest that any miss indicates the person is bogus. The reality is, this stuff is so fluid.

Your information - what you post and when you post it - assures me that you have information access at some level.

Keep posting.

Bye. Enjoy losing in the first round of the ncaa tournament (if that)

On to the next guy

Hate to hear this but I am not going to bash the kid because he could change his mind like most kids his age does. We will be fine because Cal is THE coach at UK. He will fine someone that wants to play at UK. Everyone just needs to relax.

This is how I see his decommitment:

Sometimes-in-life-when-one-door-closes-a-better-on

All good. I don't like the optics of it but whatever.

Go get:
Carey (who I wanted first anyways)
Cockburn
McDaniels
Whitney
Allen
Maxey

Return a couple (2-3) of:
Baker
Herro
IQ
Green
Richards

And another guard (and maybe Hurt runs from Kansas drama and isn't scared of competition here)

Last edited:
Terrible decision. He's a perfect Cal player and the type of kid who is far from a sure thing and that actually needs what Cal can offer.

Instead he gets to go waste away in Memphis. But if that's your mindset, that city and school is the perfect place for him.

I'd keep recruiting Wiseman. Don't make it easy on Penny. It's not costing us the ability to recruit anyone else. Maybe he's smarter than Jeffries.

Can't believe no one has pointed out to this kid that the coach he just loves and wants to play for didn't even let him know he'd likely be taking the Memphis job and let him go ahead and commit.

Or maybe that was the plan all along. Good way to make a splash and get Wiseman's attention.

Do what? No way we quit on James. He knows where his bread is buttered. He will look at the wall of UK NBA big men and make the right decision to attend UK.
I agree with Mike on this one, Wiseman to Memphis seems done now. I think we land Carey. Wiseman's bread will be buttered if he goes to Southern Illinois so no worries about that.

The whole premise is missed. Jeffries prayer should be; "Please let me be as good as Penny tells me I am, and let me get in the knowledge that Cal bestow's on his recruits and players so I can make what I could have made being a UK and Cal disciple..."......please don't let Penny let me down... Elvis is gone...it is Wiseman's town now....please let it be so...

How stupid can you be...Penny's about to find out...

I've been a little critical of Cals coaching decisions from time to time here. I've never once worried about recruiting. It will be just fine. Frankly, I think there are better options at his position in the class anyway. I feel the same about Wiseman.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Better prospects out there. Always felt like he was more recruited for the purposes of landing Wiseman versus a guy talented enough to come in here and have an impact right away.

Good luck to him, though no matter what he decides.

No tampering since he never signed papers. This is part of the recruiting game, Cal has gotten players after they announced to another school, this is the first time it has happened to him though. Surprised but not too surprised since Penny got the job after DJ committed. This does open the door for K. Whitney though. I just hope some fans don’t do what they did with Zion and all of a sudden doubt his ability just because he didn’t pick UK

Tampering.

Reactions: mrbud
Honestly not particularly concerned about this
Not surprised at all given the circumstances....only surprised that it hasn’t happened sooner with the negative recruiting that goes on

It’s July of 2018: Cal has other targets he’s going after. Yes we probably won’t get Wiseman now; it will be a surprise if we do IMO. At any rate there is more than enough time to worry about the 2019 class
We have what looks like a pretty good team to watch this year

I'm getting a weird vibe from the recruiting trail this summer. This isn't shaping up to be the UK and Duke dominated class like the last couple of years.

I'm not bummed at all. I didn't like him from the beginning and hated his OAD comments. He's not a pro, but he thinks he's one now. Memphis will continue to have issues just like they've had under Pastner. Penny can say whatever he wants right now, he has no record. He will mishandle the situation like they all do.

Jefferies is scared, he doesn't want to compete. Penny is promising everything out of the gate. Cal won't do that.

I just hate this is another top 5 recruit (Wiseman) who was ticketed as a Uk lock and it’s looking like it’s not gonna happen now

Terrible decision. He's a perfect Cal player and the type of kid who is far from a sure thing and that actually needs what Cal can offer.

Instead he gets to go waste away in Memphis. But if that's your mindset, that city and school is the perfect place for him.

I'd keep recruiting Wiseman. Don't make it easy on Penny. It's not costing us the ability to recruit anyone else. Maybe he's smarter than Jeffries.

Can't believe no one has pointed out to this kid that the coach he just loves and wants to play for didn't even let him know he'd likely be taking the Memphis job and let him go ahead and commit.

Or maybe that was the plan all along. Good way to make a splash and get Wiseman's attention.

I think this was set up from the beginning. They knew Penny was headed to Memphis. Recruiting momentum is valuable.

It doesn't matter. Jefferies isn't a sure fire guy and will take time to develop but he wants to be a OAD. He won't amount to much and will probably leave after a year or two without a pick.

ADVERTISEMENT