ADVERTISEMENT

Direct TV vs Spectrum

drxman1

All-American
Nov 5, 2008
Currently with Spectrum, considering switching to Direct Tv.

What are some of the pros and cons?

TIA

I guess that weather issues have not been improved?

Any pros to directv other than being cheaper?

I don’t have direct tv but have had dish for about 7 years. Easy to talk to to get the price down, huge DVR, dish anywhere app (I’m sure directtv has something similar), overall I’ve been very happy. As far as cutting out in rain first 3 years I had it I was in a 2nd floor apartment and had it mounted on balcony and it cut out one time in 3 years when we had a crazy wind storm. When we moved to my house we mounted in my backyard because I didn’t want it on my roof and it cuts out about 3-5 times a year, for about 5 mins each time, so hasn’t been a huge issue, but I live in beautiful and sunny central Ohio.

Reactions: drxman1
Dish/DirectTV people always say it's not a problem, but anytime I'm at a restaurant and the weather is bad, signal is gone. Pay a little extra for consistent service, I say.

Also, MetroNet should be in your neck of the woods fairly soon.

Yup, they are putting it in now. Giga fiber in the near future.

The picture quality is better with Directv, as the signal isn't nearly as compressed. DVR size is probably bigger as well. If you have ATT for your cell you get free HBO and I think another discount with Direct.

If you have access to YouTubeTV and a fast connection I would at least look into that.

The picture quality is better with Directv, as the signal isn't nearly as compressed. DVR size is probably bigger as well. If you have ATT for your cell you get free HBO and I think another discount with Direct.

If you have access to YouTubeTV and a fast connection I would at least look into that.
Yeah, when I got new iPhone, ATT was putting the hard sell on it.

Every time I go into the AT&T store, which is maybe once or twice a year if even that much, they ask me about switching to Direct TV. It's kind of annoying.

You get a free $200 gift card, free sunday ticket for the year for new customers to Direct. Picture is so much clearer, Spectrum DVR sucks. If you are recording 2 shows, you can not change the channel. Direct you can record 6 at once. Also, go wireless, you can simply take your mini box and a hdmi cord and take your tv anywhere around you house.

On Sundays, i take the mini box from the kitchen and take it out on the deck. Wireless is definitely the way to go. Will never go back to Spectrum.

Switched about a year ago. Direct is cheaper, but that’s about all I like about it. Hate the lag with the boxes, the genie mini boxes all freeze way too often, and it goes out nearly every time there’s heavy rain. 99% reliability! ...but those 1% of times are always because of rain. After I missed watching the end of the Florida game because of rain I swore we’d switch back to spectrum as soon as the initial contract is up. May do it sooner. And don’t let them sell you on the dishes being tiny now... they’re not, that’s a flat out lie.

Signal here is exactly the same quality. That may vary by customer depending on the cable installation.

You’ve got enough cash, spend a little extra for a better product.

Switched about a year ago. Direct is cheaper, but that’s about all I like about it. Hate the lag with the boxes, the genie mini boxes all freeze way too often, and it goes out nearly every time there’s heavy rain. 99% reliability! ...but those 1% of times are always because of rain. After I missed watching the end of the Florida game because of rain I swore we’d switch back to spectrum as soon as the initial contract is up. May do it sooner. And don’t let them sell you on the dishes being tiny now... they’re not, that’s a flat out lie.

Signal here is exactly the same quality. That may vary by customer depending on the cable installation.

You’ve got enough cash, spend a little extra for a better product.
Try Att Uverse if you can get it. Reliable as spectrum and picture seems as good as DirecTV to me. They will bargain to keep you.

I don't know why anyone would only consider Directv and their local cable option. I cut a few months ago and don't miss a thing, and save ~$100/month. I would recommend looking at Vue, Hulu, Youtube TV, Sling, etc.

Reactions: bbonds and JDHoss
DirecTV would not offer good discounts after AT&T bought the company. Plus they charged my CC before the bill was due when I was talking to them about discounts. That's when I left. I would only go back for the new customer prices then leave again after 2 years.

Currently with Spectrum, considering switching to Direct Tv.

What are some of the pros and cons?

TIA
I have been with Direct for a couple of years. On their newest equipment the service doesn't really ever cut out (at least in Hamburg). My bill was set to lose the promotional rate and go to $130. I called to cancel and they offered $60/month off for a year ...no commitment. We renewed. It's a good service and reliable.

Reactions: NewEraCATS
Decent internet + YouTube TV. Profit.

I also have Netflix & Hulu (Free with cell)

Have 2 Roku streaming sticks now as well. Have AppleTV which is great but the remote is so damn sensitive its a pain for everyday use.

Reactions: bbonds
Here in BG I do not get local. I got a $20 little hd antenna thing, I pick them all up.
One thing to consider, the guy when installing my Direct TV said soon, real soon, it will all be wireless. Like a box in your yard wireless. All streaming. They will just roll up, hook up your service thru the box outside and boom, you will never know they where there. No dishes at all.

He said they took the budget of Miami, Fl and spent it on Bowling Green to get it done. Said they have workers from 4 states here working on the project.

So what’s the deal with local channels on direct tv?

All the Lexington locals are on DTVN but I prefer the antenna. I've had DTVN since it launched and it's slowly went down hill but not worth giving up the $70+ a month I've saved.

I do not get the complaints about Direct TV, my boxes never freeze, i have the super Genie thing, it is really like a processor (computer tower) that sits behind my couch, never has problems. The little mini Genies never freeze, maybe the one poster just lives in BFE.

I have Dish and am fairly well satisfied. I do loose signal from time to time as other have said. The picture does seem to be slightly better than Spectrum in my area. I have the Hopper with sling & a wireless joey. There are some issues with Dish in recording OTA signals on the dvr, & it does freeze once in a great while, but my main issue with Dish is the constant channel disputes. If I had fast internet service, I would try streaming, but the speed with the phone company is only 12, even though they claim my area can be as fast as 25

I had Direct in 2012 and missed the first quarter of the UK/IU game in the NCAA tourney because of rain. Left to go back to Spectrum and never wanted to leave again. It’s important to me to not be at the mercy of the elements watching live sporting events. I know I could do the same by streaming but I would still need Spectrum internet as AT&T doesn’t offer really fast where I live.

Had cable for long time and then switched to dish, cable won that battle. Went to dtv and it beat out cable but we went back to cable because of a bundle package that was a much better deal than dtv. Noticed that cable wasn’t as good on multiple fronts as dtv, so we switched back for the last time.

Dtv has a better dvr, picture, guide and controller. On the bad side it absolutely does go out in the rain but there’s truth in how good it was installed and location of the dish. First house it went signal 771 anytime it rained, satellite was on pole in yard. Current house it has to rain hard to lose signal, satellite is mounted on roof well above tree line.

Cable doesn’t go out until a drunk crashes into the telephone pole

There are no other advantages to cable

Yeah so I called to cancel cable. They shaved off my bill and upgraded me to 400mbs service with a new modem...so yeah I’m gonna try it out.

Reactions: funKYcat75
Even when it's raining, I press the button on the remote and TV shows come on. Advantage, Spectrum.
This times a 1000. I finally left DirecTV and their over inflated prices and I couldn't be happier. Spectrum has impressed me and I am a snob when it comes to TV reception, service, etc. Spectrum gets a huge thumbs up from me.

Rain definitely can cause you to use signal with Direct, but if you have a wifi connection you can still stream games broadcast on ESPN and some NFL games with a Roku box or other streaming device. That's my backup on bad weather game days. You just use your Direct TV account info to log into those other services.

I've been patiently waiting for YouTubeTV since it came out. Unfortunately, it probably won't be available for me until 95% of the country has it.
Damn really? My town only has like 10K population, including the college students, and even we have it here.

Rain definitely can cause you to use signal with Direct, but if you have a wifi connection you can still stream games broadcast on ESPN and some NFL games with a Roku box or other streaming device. That's my backup on bad weather game days. You just use your Direct TV account info to log into those other services.
This is what I have done when visiting my parents and they have Dish. Except I use their Dish login. It lags behind the satellite signal but beats the alternative.

ADVERTISEMENT