ADVERTISEMENT

Did Offensive System and Struggles Cost Us?

So now we are going to have multiple threads daily about losing W Robinson. Look at it this way, we will have J Richardson , D Crumes, and D Harris coming in to go with L Bowden, J Ali, T Richardson, I Epps, and some solid TE's, not to mention A Rose, and T Tisdale can catch the ball also, we will be fine !

Question.. does it hurt Kirby at Georgia and they run it as much if not more than us. The system or Stoops/Gran IMO didn’t lose this kid.

UGA had five receivers with over 300 yards and we had one. UGA was #7 of 14 in passing yards and we were #14 of 14. We were dead last in the league in attempts too. For whatever reason we are pretty bad in the passing game. I'm sure it was used against us and has been for years.

Not enough touches throughout the year in games and practices to sharpen or keep their skills sharp? Who knows. Perhaps that is why we did not throw as much as well. Next year should answer questions like that because without Benny (unless someone else emerge's) Terry will probably have to throw more. We know he can run but, so does everyone else and Rose is more a straight line speed runner that does not have Benny's yards after hit capability or recognition to wait for a hole to open..
RB rotation will be better next season...AJ is going to be a star and will probably be 225 next year with speed. Rodriguez, Smoke will give us a three headed monster. We'll still be a 70% run first team . I'm just hoping we do something to get to that 30 ppg plateau.

So now we are going to have multiple threads daily about losing W Robinson. Look at it this way, we will have J Richardson , D Crumes, and D Harris coming in to go with L Bowden, J Ali, T Richardson, I Epps, and some solid TE's, not to mention A Rose, and T Tisdale can catch the ball also, we will be fine !
In all due respect outside of Bowden and Crumes that's not an impressive list. Rose and Tisdale will be impressive at running the ball but not a receiving. We almost never use our RBs in the passing game. Rose and Tisdale probably won't have 20 catches on the year between the two of them. With that list you still don't have a reliable big receiver. You don't have a deep threat. And you have very little productivity outside of Bowden. I do believe Crumes will be much better than his ranking but again how often will he see the ball. To be effective throwing the ball you need at least 1 deep threat, couple of short pass guys and a game breaking big play guy. Bowden is the big play guy and Crumes could be one of the short pass guys but we still have more holes than anything else.

RB rotation will be better next season...AJ is going to be a star and will probably be 225 next year with speed. Rodriguez, Smoke will give us a three headed monster. We'll still be a 70% run first team . I'm just hoping we do something to get to that 30 ppg plateau.
No argument there, I am just hoping Terry can develop more in the passing game in the off season. It may not be all him though, I can't be sure. If the coaching staff is not confident with the hands of our receivers (as some one else eluded to), we need to work on that a lot more too.

All of that being said, and even though we have been disappointed before, I am cautiously optimistic and a little giddy about our program for the next few years. Being 61 I have been there before only to be let down time and again. Hope is a powerful thing. I like where we are at this point.

Reactions: cat888 and jauk11
In all due respect outside of Bowden and Crumes that's not an impressive list. Rose and Tisdale will be impressive at running the ball but not a receiving. We almost never use our RBs in the passing game. Rose and Tisdale probably won't have 20 catches on the year between the two of them. With that list you still don't have a reliable big receiver. You don't have a deep threat. And you have very little productivity outside of Bowden. I do believe Crumes will be much better than his ranking but again how often will he see the ball. To be effective throwing the ball you need at least 1 deep threat, couple of short pass guys and a game breaking big play guy. Bowden is the big play guy and Crumes could be one of the short pass guys but we still have more holes than anything else.
Wished we would have used Conrad more this year. That seemd to work well for Terry. Not really sure if one of the other tight ends Rigg, Henschen, or two of this years freshman can step in and play as well.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
As great of a season it has been and the accomplishments that we did exceed this year, did the UK offense system that we use and the struggles on offense from mid season on and in previous years make us a lose a talented in state playmaker?

Can Coach Stoops and Coach Gran system that they run offensively ever get MULTIPLE talented players on the side of the ball, especially at the WR positions?

I give them credit for getting Bowden, but there sure hasn’t been many more highly rated players come on board on the offensive side.

Is it a legitimate question and concern going forward on that side of the balll?
Still looking to bash Coach Stoops. Some people are just never going to comprehend that our football team gets better every year.

As great of a season it has been and the accomplishments that we did exceed this year, did the UK offense system that we use and the struggles on offense from mid season on and in previous years make us a lose a talented in state playmaker?

Can Coach Stoops and Coach Gran system that they run offensively ever get MULTIPLE talented players on the side of the ball, especially at the WR positions?

I give them credit for getting Bowden, but there sure hasn’t been many more highly rated players come on board on the offensive side.

Is it a legitimate question and concern going forward on that side of the balll?
We lost D Harris, but we got Benny If you recruit with the big boys this will happen. I see your point about our struggles. But you know he picked Nebraska, you think they didn't struggle this year? We will be fine

How do you know they don't now?

Gran's playbook sucks as does his play calling over the course of the game. Throw in the fact that they won't develop a pro style QB under their wing and it is very easy to decipher.
If we could ever get on Nebraska's level...

Reactions: fabcat
Until this year, Alabama didn't have a slinger at QB. Georgia won with the run.

Strong run, strong defense. It wins.
Does a good pass game help? Absolutely.

But I remember a whole lot of us screaming what the hell when Snell didn't get more carries against aTm.

Whatever works, you use. 9-3 is pretty impressive.
The weird thing is that you can't seem to use winning FB as a selling point to skill positions. Top skills guys will still go where they can get touches, regardless of wins... just like this kid did.

We have a hard product to sell to WR in particular. I think that's the point.

The weird thing is that you can't seem to use winning FB as a selling point to skill positions. Top skills guys will still go where they can get touches, regardless of wins... just like this kid did.

JaVonte, Lynn Bowden, we will be fine. 5 star kid is looking probably won't come but hey

Reactions: FusterCluck
I don't think there is any question it probably played 90% into the decision and will continue to be used against us until things change...it's not really a head scratcher if you watch our offense.
That it may have been used against us doesn't lead me to conclude it was a major reason for the decision. People take two events & claim one caused the other incorrectly ALL the time. E.g., I have an upset stomach. I think it's because I ate__________.

Rose will be in his 4th year here next season & weighed 210 this one. No way I see him adding more than another 5# now. But Smoke & C Rod both could weigh 225.

Rose will be in his 4th year here next season & weighed 210 this one. No way I see him adding more than another 5# now. But Smoke & C Rod both could weigh 225.
Next year can be AJ's "money" year...time to kick it into another gear!

Last edited:
Next year can be AJ's "money" year...time to pick it into another gear!

AJ averaged more YPC than our best RB in decades, at least, but the two redshirts averaged twice and four times as much as Snell's 5 YPC, Rose missed his chance.'

I kid, I kid, but I am excited about both of them.

There are a long list of first's or long-awaited accomplishments that occurred for the first time in a LOOOOOONG time for UK football because of this season and you worry about not getting ONE kid? Seriously?!

I think it's not a legit question but you can certainly waste your time worrying about this. Knock yourself out. I'm going to enjoy what this team has done and leave the worry going forward to those that can actually do something to address them.

In poker the way you play your hand depends on the cards you were dealt, similar the offensive coaching staff had to construct an offense that put the team in the best chance of winning based on the players they had and their experience and skill set.

Just because we have a heavy run oriented offense one year doesn't mean it will be the same next year or the year after that. The composition of offensive talent will determine what offense they install and coach.

The overall objective is balance 50/50. That means there are opportunities for offensive skill players, including those we already have and those we are recruiting.

IMO the fact that the coaches wound up in a somewhat disadvantageous situation at the QB position, and were still able to win 9 games and challenge seriously for the East is perhaps one of the reason Coach Stoops was named SEC Coach of the year.

In poker the way you play your hand depends on the cards you were dealt, similar the offensive coaching staff had to construct an offense that put the team in the best chance of winning based on the players they had and their experience and skill set.

Just because we have a heavy run oriented offense one year doesn't mean it will be the same next year or the year after that. The composition of offensive talent will determine what offense they install and coach.

The overall objective is balance 50/50. That means there are opportunities for offensive skill players, including those we already have and those we are recruiting.

IMO the fact that the coaches wound up in a somewhat disadvantageous situation at the QB position, and were still able to win 9 games and challenge seriously for the East is perhaps one of the reason Coach Stoops was named SEC Coach of the year.

Agree. There seem to be two types of offensive coaches/programs. One that has a system and recruits to it. The other recruits to their best ability and then molds their offense to the talent at hand. We have the latter type.

and were still able to win 9 games and challenge seriously for the East.
The challenge wasn't all that serious to me. Strongly defeated by winner, lost to a below 500 team, finished 2 games behind, & tied for 2nd, not 2nd alone. Yes, we were in the race for a good while, but it was a mirage by the end.

The challenge wasn't all that serious to me. Strongly defeated by winner, lost to a below 500 team, finished 2 games behind, & tied for 2nd, not 2nd alone. Yes, we were in the race for a good while, but it was a mirage by the end.

Were expected to struggle for a bowl game by some, beat three ranked teams, went to OT with another on their field, played six bowl teams, ended up winning nine games AND developing several NFL draft choice.

Not a bad season-------for UK, of course.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Were expected to struggle for a bowl game by some, beat three ranked teams, went to OT with another on their field, played six bowl teams, ended up winning nine games AND developing several NFL draft choice.

Not a bad season-------for UK, of course.
Not a bad season at all for us, you have to admit the later part of the season left a lot to be desired.

The tenn game had zero effect on sec race. We was in a one game playoff at home to win the east. That is not a mirage. You can’t be any closer and not win it

We beat Florida (did you notice) on their home field, lost in OT to another ranked team on their field, and won the tiebreaker for second by beating Florida. And Georgia beat Florida worse than they beat us.

Nobody came close to challenging Bama either-------except Georgia.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKCatnNC

It’s not like we don’t throw the ball. Megatron Johnson and Demerus Thomas both went to Georgia Tech. They throw it about 5 times a year. It’s more than just how much someone throws the ball to get receivers to your school. It helps also to have a solid QB that can throw. We have that going forward in Wilson. Bowden didn’t have a problem getting touched. But he also got his ass open and made himself available.

It’s not like we don’t throw the ball. Megatron Johnson and Demerus Thomas both went to Georgia Tech. They throw it about 5 times a year. It’s more than just how much someone throws the ball to get receivers to your school. It helps also to have a solid QB that can throw. We have that going forward in Wilson. Bowden didn’t have a problem getting touched. But he also got his ass open and made himself available.

Dude, both those guys were in-state recruits from talent-rich Georgia. You're saying GT has some in-state recruiting pull? Go Figure. [eyeroll]

So, your point is that b/c our other WR's don't get themselves open, we're not as hard a sell to a WR as I say we are? Well, I welcome the coming glut.

Last edited:
Even with a number of dropped passes, TW had a good completion percentage. Where does it rank in the SEC for the year and for UK in overall history ?? I do not know where to find such statistics, but I suspect he ranks favorably.

Call them as I see them. Try honesty.
"Honesty" sure looks like see the worst in everything to me. I bet you had the same opinion of a defense that you claimed would never see significant improvement prior to this year. What is so wrong with getting behind your team and coach and having a little belief in the future?

Reactions: jauk11
ADVERTISEMENT