ADVERTISEMENT

Did Offensive System and Struggles Cost Us?

1_Cool_CAT

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2008
London, KY
As great of a season it has been and the accomplishments that we did exceed this year, did the UK offense system that we use and the struggles on offense from mid season on and in previous years make us a lose a talented in state playmaker?

Can Coach Stoops and Coach Gran system that they run offensively ever get MULTIPLE talented players on the side of the ball, especially at the WR positions?

I give them credit for getting Bowden, but there sure hasn’t been many more highly rated players come on board on the offensive side.

Is it a legitimate question and concern going forward on that side of the balll?

I think it was used against us, but I think it could be readily explained that it's not the long-term plan - which I believe it isn't. Not air raid either, just more balanced & open as the talent allows/dictate.

Can Coach Stoops and Coach Gran system that they run offensively ever get MULTIPLE talented players on the side of the ball, especially at the WR positions?

How do you know they don't now?

Gran's playbook sucks as does his play calling over the course of the game. Throw in the fact that they won't develop a pro style QB under their wing and it is very easy to decipher.

Reactions: IFerg1969
I think it was used against us, but I think it could be readily explained that it's not the long-term plan - which I believe it isn't. Not air raid either, just more balanced & open as the talent allows/dictate.

I certainly hope you're right. I'd like to see more of what we saw against U6. I don't expect 600yds and 56pts every game. Lord knows UK will play better defenses. If their offense had just been more balanced, I think they win against A&M and UT and we're looking at 11-1. What I don't want to see is it take UK until game 12 next season to finally show something on offense.

I don't think there is any question it probably played 90% into the decision and will continue to be used against us until things change...it's not really a head scratcher if you watch our offense.

Reactions: ekywildcat
It didn't help. Having a good offense will make the program more attractive. Still this kid was a non-commit commitment from day one. Not even an hour after committing he's telling people he would consider following Brohm to UL. Some of these decommittments you can smell coming. And they interesting thing about them is that they almost always end up floundering. The guys we lose like Damien Harris usually still end up being good but the "commit-not committed, decommitted, recommitted, unrecommitted and finally the decommitt-recommitt-unrecommit-doublycommited-not committed and 100% done types. Well those guys don't seem to have any better luck in college than they do in staying committed.

I think this is an honest question to be asked. Our Coaching staff has been here for 6 years. We have yet been able to land a TRUE SEC Quarterback. We have shown every year that we are a RUN first team. We have also shown that our offense is very Vanilla with little imagination. Take highly recruited very talented CJ Conrad. An offensive weapon that wasn’t used to his Potential. I think our lack of an open offense completely BIT the Coaching Staff in Robinson’s recruiting. Many on here will deny this. But it is what it is.

Missing the point of recruiting. Recruiting is done to at least maintain what you do well but enhance what you do poorly. UK's WR corps, minus Bowden, lacks speed. That's glaring and can seriously effect the O. A goal was to upgrade WRs and that's what they're in the process of doing. The "don't go to UK if you're a WR" is simplistic and ridiculous.

Promises made by Nebraska probably hurt UK more than anything.This recruitment reminds me a lot of the Harris recruitment several years ago when Bama got him.
Was hoping another Kentucky kid would chose the Cats especially those who are capable of playing SEC level football.
Oh well,stuff happens.

I think this is an honest question to be asked. Our Coaching staff has been here for 6 years. We have yet been able to land a TRUE SEC Quarterback. We have shown every year that we are a RUN first team. We have also shown that our offense is very Vanilla with little imagination. Take highly recruited very talented CJ Conrad. An offensive weapon that wasn’t used to his Potential. I think our lack of an open offense completely BIT the Coaching Staff in Robinson’s recruiting. Many on here will deny this. But it is what it is.

To be fair, it took Saban a long time to land a QB that wasn't basically a game manager.

Reactions: zannmann
The offense cost us a lot this year. Cost us a couple of games and also cost us a national perception. If we show any heartbeat of an offense we are probably ranked higher than Florida and in a NY6 bowl, but without any offense it is perceived as more luck that we win rather than by playing as well as we often do.

Fffaaarrr stoops

I don't think it was the offense or anything about Kentucky that swung Wandale. He wanted to go to Nebraska for, whatever reason, all along. He was talked out of it for a while, but never was firm in his decision to go elsewhere. It may be a simple as him wanting to get a good ways away from home. A lot of college students, not just athletes, want to do that. The success that Bowden has had as a wide receiver is proof that if you can run routes and catch the ball, you will get receptions at Kentucky. He may rationalize that away, as do some of our fans, but the truth is he just wanted to go elsewhere.

No, it wasn't our offense. We were just punked by a no class bum.

Probably hurt the receivers.
Didnt hurt Bennie Snell.
Didnt hurt Bunchie Stallings.
Oh, wait.....Bowden second team all sec????

Maybe the receivers hurt themselves not catching the ball when they got the shot.

It had to play a part. There was some drops but we have not had a good offense in the six years Stoops has been here. Bowden was something like #13 in SEC in yards and we didn't have another player in the top 40. In the SEC only UK and LSU had only one receiver over 300 yards. We were dead last in the SEC in passing.

If the kid wasn't just up the road from Lexington this probably doesn't even happen. Being close was the only thing keeping us in the recruitment I would assume. Still don't like the timing of what he did.

Terry Wilson says hello.
He definitely improved over the course of the year. UK QBR was #100 (116.2) after 6 games and finished the year #76 with a 129.2 rating. Those ratings are for all UK passers not just Terry. (Can't break individuals down week to week; just their final rank.) But he threw 253 of the 281 passes attempted that produced those numbers.

Peace

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Just said the same thing in another thread about the recent event.

Something must not have jived with Wandale in terms of offense, and for that I really can't argue with or blame him.

As great of a season it has been and the accomplishments that we did exceed this year, did the UK offense system that we use and the struggles on offense from mid season on and in previous years make us a lose a talented in state playmaker?

I give them credit for getting Bowden, but there sure hasn’t been many more highly rated players come on board on the offensive side.

Is it a legitimate question and concern going forward on that side of the balll?
It may be a legit question with regard to recruiting but Robinson wasn’t coming here from day one.

Didnt hurt Bennie Snell.

Maybe the receivers hurt themselves not catching the ball when they got the shot.
Not enough touches throughout the year in games and practices to sharpen or keep their skills sharp? Who knows. Perhaps that is why we did not throw as much as well. Next year should answer questions like that because without Benny (unless someone else emerge's) Terry will probably have to throw more. We know he can run but, so does everyone else and Rose is more a straight line speed runner that does not have Benny's yards after hit capability or recognition to wait for a hole to open..

It may be a legit question with regard to recruiting but Robinson wasn’t coming here from day one.
I had my suspicions as soon as he suggested that he would consider U6 if Brohm went there. What kind of UK commit would even say that, if his heart was truly with UK? And not just to any random school that Brohm might have gone to, but U6?

Didnt hurt Bennie Snell.

Post of the post season! Which also stopped some huge drives in big games and made Terry’s numbers at times look worse than they were.

How do you know they don't now?

Gran's playbook sucks as does his play calling over the course of the game. Throw in the fact that they won't develop a pro style QB under their wing and it is very easy to decipher.
One more boring time...this is not on Gran!! He is running what Stoops wants and after six years it should be obvious.

Last edited:
I think it should have been sold instead of explained in recruiting, look at us we need you should have been the pitch to any receiver. We didn’t do it because we wanted to, it was because we had to and If you sign then we won’t need to.

Question.. does it hurt Kirby at Georgia and they run it as much if not more than us. The system or Stoops/Gran IMO didn’t lose this kid.

Reactions: JC CATS
ADVERTISEMENT