ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Vitale

There's no doubt that we all love and appreciate you and respect everything you've done for college basketball.

But it's time.

I throughly enjoyed being AT the game today. I could still experience the environment without listening to all the nonsense commentary. I went back and watched the game replay and the actual game was much more enjoyable.

I can't understand what he says anymore. I'm not sure if it's his mumbling or me evolving to shut him out. Either way it's a win win since I no longer have to mute my tv.

Last edited:
I can't understand what he says anymore. I'm not sure if it's him mumbling or me evolving to shut him out. Either way it's a win win since I no longer have to mute my tv.
exactly... i was thinking there must be something wrong with sound? but i could hear the announcer okay... DV's commentary sounded like it was coming from under a pillow... did he mention Rick Pitino, his BFF?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I can't understand what he says anymore. I'm not sure if it's him mumbling or me evolving to shut him out. Either way it's a win win since I no longer have to mute my tv.
Didn't he have some serious medical issues a few years ago with his throat? But you're right. I can barely hear him when he's talking and you know the engineers have done all they can to 'boost' his audio.

Edit..looked it up. He had throat surgery on '07. Probably a combination of that and age, hence a weaker voice.

Last edited:
"Toughness, Cal wants Toughness, not roughness, toughness, Cal wants toughness." Gabriel gets a rebound,"Now that is toughness, toughness, that is what Cal is looking for, toughness not roughness, that was toughness." I thought I was going to shoot my TV screen.." I have been stealing money for 39 years, I am having a blast doing this, a blast, I am stealing money." Take it to the house Vitale and please do us a favor and stay there..

"Toughness, Cal wants Toughness, not roughness, toughness, Cal wants toughness." Gabriel gets a rebound,"Now that is toughness, toughness, that is what Cal is looking for, toughness not roughness, that was toughness." I thought I was going to shoot my TV screen.." I have been stealing money for 39 years, I am having a blast doing this, a blast, I am stealing money." Take it to the house Vitale and please do us a favor and stay there..

You nailed it perfectly! That is ALL we hear...."He is winner. He has a winner's mentality. He knows how to win. He is a winner!" How anyone in the world can like that crap is beyond me!

exactly... i was thinking there must be something wrong with sound? but i could hear the announcer okay... DV's commentary sounded like it was coming from under a pillow... did he mention Rick Pitino, his BFF?
He didn't mention Pitino, but he's still batting 1000 on talking about Duke during every broadcast he does.
He must have lost a bet to K 30 years ago.

He didn't mention Pitino, but he's still batting 1000 on talking about Duke during every broadcast he does.
He mentioned Pitino once during the rambling about his favorite moments in college basketball, 1993 loss at Vanderbilt by the #1 team in the nation (UK) coached by then head coach Rick Pitino.

Reactions: BBUK and kyjeff1
I was thinking the same thing. There is an old saying "You can overstay your welcome" and that is what DV is doing. Time to retire.

I can't understand what he says anymore. I'm not sure if it's his mumbling or me evolving to shut him out. Either way it's a win win since I no longer have to mute my tv.
He couldn't do a women's lacrosse match without mentioning how great Duke is in basketball. It's almost like someone's obsession with an ex-girlfriend.

Reactions: brianpoe
I'd venture to say that Dick is now so out of touch with KY that he doesn't knows just how far ashley has fallen or how poorly the majority of the state now feels about pitino.
And when Tubby gets fired at Memphis I"m sure he'll chastise the fanbase and school.

Did he say, “Kentucky fans are so passionate about their Cats!”
Sometimes he says that in a positive spin and sometimes in a negative.

He also started talking about how ,if Dean Smith was coaching Vandy he would be able to pull the game game out cause he was the MICHAELANGELO of coaches . It just came out of the blue . Who else watching the game had one thought about Dean Smith ? What's the connection ? Besides , he had better athletes than almost anyone and ran the four corners !

Reactions: brianpoe
He has done and meant so much to college basketball. It is time for him to go to the studio and not do games anymore. I don't have the animosity toward him that a lot on here does. He does at times get on my nerves but overall the man has been great for the game and a great ambassador to the game. His work with children's cancer has been enormous. He can get off on tangents during games that have no bearing on the game at hand and that can get annoying.

He also started talking about how ,if Dean Smith was coaching Vandy he would be able to pull the game game out cause he was the MICHAELANGELO of coaches . It just came out of the blue . Who else watching the game had one thought about Dean Smith ? What's the connection ? Besides , he had better athletes than almost anyone and ran the four corners !
He’s also overrated. Coached 34 years with basically NBA talent most of those years and won two titles, and both of those had Lady Luck on his side.

He’s also overrated. Coached 34 years with basically NBA talent most of those years and won two titles, and both of those had Lady Luck on his side.
I've been saying this since the '80's. Did more to ruin College Basketball than anyone else with the ridiculous Four Corners Offense, which was quite frankly "Offensive". Had more talent than anyone and lucked out with both titles he won. Loved it when Al McGuire's Marquette team beat his in 1977 for the title.

There's no doubt that we all love and appreciate you and respect everything you've done for college basketball.

But it's time.
The only thing about your post that I share with you is that it is time for him to go. In truth, I felt it was time for him to go the first time I heard him.

His constant rambling and ignoring the game play is just an exasperating experience. His use of the words 'marvelous', 'amazing', and 'unbelievable' make me happy that I don't have good hearing. If he had been around in the 40's, the remote control would have been prematurely invented.

Last edited:
Reactions: martycat1
Didn't he have some serious medical issues a few years ago with his throat? But you're right. I can barely hear him when he's talking and you know the engineers have done all they can to 'boost' his audio.

Edit..looked it up. He had throat surgery on '07. Probably a combination of that and age, hence a weaker voice.
His hoarseness is becoming quite a problem. Even if you are a big Vitale fan, I'm not, it has to be bothersome trying to listen to him.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
What bothers me most about Vitale is not his verbosity, but that what he says is usually wrong. Yesterday it was odd for him to keep talking about how heavy of a favorite Kentucky (or how heavy of an underdog Vanderbilt) was, and that 'everyone' just assumed UK would walk in and win. The Cats were a 2 point favorite at gametime so it just shows how out of touch he is or if he knew, how much he wants to distort reality for the reason of trying to make something bigger than it is.

"Let me tell you something baby, that Marvin Bagley is a PTPer! Diaper dandy baby!! Duke may give up 97 points a game but K has them shooting the rock, slapping the floor, and Grayson Allen will leg sweep them to the title!"

"You heard it here first, Duke all the way. I had a talk with Higgins and he said he guaranteed they will play 8 on 5. 2018 National Championship in Durham baby!"

BDvnSQyCEAAqqXY

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT