ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo skipping NBA combine

This article is a prime example of the evil genius of Tipton.

IMO this is probably Hami's best move. I wish he would've stayed but he didn't.

His current best attributes are his athletic attributes, not his skills. If he can get drafted on that (via private workouts) and make a roster, devote his full-time energy to developing his skills, he might stick on a roster.

If he'd come back to school another year he could've worked on those skills also, but then he's a year older and one year shaved off his finite career.

It's a calculated risk and I wish him the best.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
There are two mentalities. One is if you hope to hide and maybe game the system and steal a million from the NBA before they realize you can't ball. The other is if you want to be the best and compete at everything to the best of your abilities and take a shot at a career. I think he should go to the combine and give it everything. There are worse things than being really athletic and willing to go to war for your team. Someone will pick that up.

There are two mentalities. One is if you hope to hide and maybe game the system and steal a million from the NBA before they realize you can't ball. The other is if you want to be the best and compete at everything to the best of your abilities and take a shot at a career. I think he should go to the combine and give it everything. There are worse things than being really athletic and willing to go to war for your team. Someone will pick that up.
Diallo has tried every way possible to sneak into the NBA(apparently without the skills to do so) he may yet make it.You can't fault him for that and I hope he succeeds in doing so. One has to admit his journey thru the UK program was one of the most unique ever.

per the Twitter tweets.

Awful decision for a dude who way underperformed this year. He has the wrong people advising him on this.

He couldn't outperform his numbers from last year at the draft. What do you think he's gonna get drafted on? Another awful take by you

It doesn't make sense, but neither does most of Hami's stuff.

Supposedly teams wanted to take him in the 20's last year and he didn't take it.
Now he's probably a 2nd rounder and going. And now he won't go to the combine to elevate himself.

I hope he succeeds, and I think he could be one of those guys who finds his ways and excels due to his absurd athleticism.

However he looked lost at times and could be in the G league for a long time.

I get what you’re saying but if he falls out of the first round, it doesn’t matter where he goes in the 2nd. He will be fighting for a roster spot no matter what even if he wasn’t drafted at all. There is no guaranteed money in the 2nd round like in the first round. With the small chance some team will take you in the first round, I think you take the gamble of not going to the combine then go and have a bad workout and cost yourself a first round spot. I don’t think he could play his way into the first round even with a good combine for the reasons you mentioned. He’s been seen all year at UK and teams know what they are getting. If there is even a hint the athleticism has slipped from last year, any chance he has at a first round spot would be gone

While I support this decision (he’s just trying to get paid) this legitimately doesn’t make sense to me?

If he’s not good enough to impress in a scrimmage/ workouts then how the hell is he good enough to garner a multi million dollar contract to play in the NBA? Maybe I don’t understand how the draft works... ?

It’s like if I were majoring in engineering and the requirement to be hired at said company was a 1500 SAT score , but my previous SAT score was 950 and I won’t take it again because I will either do worse or stay the same, yet I hope this company overlooks that and just hires me anyway?

It doesn't make sense, but neither does most of Hami's stuff.

Supposedly teams wanted to take him in the 20's last year and he didn't take it.
Now he's probably a 2nd rounder and going. And now he won't go to the combine to elevate himself.

I hope he succeeds, and I think he could be one of those guys who finds his ways and excels due to his absurd athleticism.

However he looked lost at times and could be in the G league for a long time.

I think one team** told him they would potentially take him somewhere in the 20’s correct? But definitely wasn’t a guarantee? I could be wrong

Why is this a "bad fanbase" stuff again?

1. Hami comes in his first year and doesn't play....then does this NBA decision only to stay at UK
2. Hami has a less than spectacular Fr year. Uneven shooting, poor ball handler, had a stretch of games at end of season he scored less than 5 points that was eye opening. But he did stick with it.
3. Another head scratcher under Cal to then go NBA
4. Now this odd decision.

Nothing feels like a kid that is going to be making much of a living playing b-ball.
That guy posts alot of dumb shit

Sorry if I struck a nerve or if we made you feel inferior in any way. Genuinely, was not my intention

Stick to be constantly negative though... it’s your shtick at this point. Enjoying a hobby (UK basketball ) and being constantly miserable doesn’t sound to fun to me, but maybe it is for you? If so... that’s perfectly fine but you can’t throw tantrums when people question/ call you out on your constant negative and Eeyore-esque takes.
Nothing you or anyone else can do to me that I have not had before and worse can strike a nerve with me. But have faith that if you want to hurl personal insults at me or other posters I will call you out.

If you can’t see that Hami is severely lacking basketball skills, that is on you. There was a reason he refused to play when he first here and refused to do the 5-5 in the combine last year. He was hiding something and most of us saw what it was a few games into the year.

Clearly he has to improve.

I think he didn't play last year because joining a team at Christmas is an impossible transition for a contending team to make without disrupting everything and Hami wasn't ready or the caliber of player to be worth that disruption.

Some of us said that at the time and were told Hami was using UK and would never play a game even though Hami and Cal both told us that was the plan the entire time.

It's interesting how realists don't often see or know things that are clear like that.

Maybe he has some kind of injury that he doesn't want to let bring his numbers from last year down. Probably not, but just a thought.

While I support this decision (he’s just trying to get paid) this legitimately doesn’t make sense to me?

If he’s not good enough to impress in a scrimmage/ workouts then how the hell is he good enough to garner a multi million dollar contract to play in the NBA? Maybe I don’t understand how the draft works... ?

It’s like if I were majoring in engineering and the requirement to be hired at said company was a 1500 SAT score , but my previous SAT score was 950 and I won’t take it again because I will either do worse or stay the same, yet I hope this company overlooks that and just hires me anyway?

The way I see it, it works the same way in the NFL. So many QB’s basically refuse to throw because, esp in today’s world, there are so many eyeballs on the combine, not just scouts. They don’t want to be picked apart. So one bad day at the combine can all but guarantee Diallo a 2nd round pick or maybe worse undrafted. A great day maybe secures one but he had a great one last year and it didn’t secure him one. So if he doesn’t go, and goes in the 2nd round, he’s lost nothing. If he gets a team to take a flier, he cashes in on a guaranteed contract.

Remember when LeBron James hid from teams at the combine so they wouldn't find out he was bad?

The way I see it, it works the same way in the NFL. So many QB’s basically refuse to throw because, esp in today’s world, there are so many eyeballs on the combine, not just scouts. They don’t want to be picked apart. So one bad day at the combine can all but guarantee Diallo a 2nd round pick or maybe worse undrafted. A great day maybe secures one but he had a great one last year and it didn’t secure him one. So if he doesn’t go, and goes in the 2nd round, he’s lost nothing. If he gets a team to take a flier, he cashes in on a guaranteed contract.

But don’t the teams know that he’s literally not scrimmaging / working out/ participating because he’s afraid of not doing well?

We all know that , so I would think the GM’s/ Scouts would know as well?

Would a GM just be like “yeah I know he’s sitting out because he’s afraid he’s not good enough , but let’s go ahead and give him a couple million anyways ?”

Not being combative with you ... just thinking out loud

I mean it makes sense ... I guess

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Nothing about you is respectful. We all see it in your personal insults.

You and gonzo are pure “sunshine pumpers” and refuse to live in realville. You both seem to think Hami has basketball skills. Other than one game, when did you see them?

I am trying to debate basketball here, and all you can do is hurl insults. I doubt you know much about the game and how it is suppose to be played.

I always get a kick out of someone criticizing use of insults and then augmenting that critique with insults of their own. Thanks for the post.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
I always get a kick out of someone criticizing use of insults and then augmenting that critique with insults of their own. Thanks for the post.
Sunshine pumper is an insult? I would think those guys would welcome that label, no? If I thought Cal and everything he did, and supported a team full of guys declaring for the draft every year is a perfect world, I would gladly accept the term “sunshine pumper”. But that is just me.

Sunshine pumper is an insult? I would think those guys would welcome that label, no? If I thought Cal and everything he did, and supported a team full of guys declaring for the draft every year is a perfect world, I would gladly accept the term “sunshine pumper”. But that is just me.

No, “sunshine pumper” is more of a derogatory label than an insult. People use those labels when they need to sidestep a debate. They’re used as an attempt to marginalize the other person in the hopes that it also neutralizes their arguments. It’s a silly, irrational thing that people do when they struggle. Insult comment was not referring to that specifically.

Diallo has tried every way possible to sneak into the NBA(apparently without the skills to do so) he may yet make it.You can't fault him for that and I hope he succeeds in doing so. One has to admit his journey thru the UK program was one of the most unique ever.

The problem is, he's tried everything he can the easiest way possible. Nothing about what we've seen from Hami over the last two years screams "Work Ethic".

From trying to practice for a year and then jump to the NBA (We know now, that he at least tried to do this, but wasn't good enough), to being difficult to coach, to possibly sandbagging it the one year he played for Kentucky...

Life won't be easy for Hami... At some point, you have to put in work. He wasn't bad for Kentucky by any means, but he didn't really give it his all either. That won't fly in the NBA.

The problem is, he's tried everything he can the easiest way possible. Nothing about what we've seen from Hami over the last two years screams "Work Ethic".

From trying to practice for a year and then jump to the NBA (We know now, that he at least tried to do this, but wasn't good enough), to being difficult to coach, to possibly sandbagging it the one year he played for Kentucky...

Life won't be easy for Hami... At some point, you have to put in work. He wasn't bad for Kentucky by any means, but he didn't really give it his all either. That won't fly in the NBA.
Agree,the signs were always there dating from how he left high school to come to Kentucky and going forward.Things probably worked out (for UK) as well as they could have and because of that there should be no ill will from UK fans directed toward Diallo. He was what he was,I hope we don't go that route again because it could end worse the next time.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
No, “sunshine pumper” is more of a derogatory label than an insult. People use those labels when they need to sidestep a debate. They’re used as an attempt to marginalize the other person in the hopes that it also neutralizes their arguments. It’s a silly, irrational thing that people do when they struggle. Insult comment was not referring to that specifically.
Then what was my insult?

He had a tough year in his role no doubt, but he fits the NBA game much better than college. He tested through the roof last year so will get drafted on potential and upside alone not a combine grade. He’s got an agent with experience advising him so lay off the ‘dumb decision’ stuff as I am sure he has a little more insight than you into the reality of Hami’s draft situation. I get it, he didn’t live up to the hype, but I am sure your boss might say the same for you sometimes. Attack other teams and players, but try to show a little respect and decency for our guys even when it isn’t everything you want or expect. I doubt he missed any of those shots just too piss you guys off.

Go easy on him, after all I think he’s still a smidge embarrassed for making that epic “NIT is a legit option” thread whilst also clamoring that we should fire our coach ...

I know people give him shit but I actually think he's a pretty good poster even when we disagree because he's a smart guy who makes good arguments.

That's why I know he knows what I'm saying. or maybe I need to post better and am making no sense.

Go easy on him, after all I think he’s still a smidge embarrassed for making that epic “NIT is a legit option” thread whilst also clamoring that we should fire our coach ...
Good point. Although I am pretty sure the difference between guys that keep things in context and in control vs those who overreact and act like Aholes is about 2” of confidence.

Read the paragraph above. It mentions the players that turned down the invites and it didn’t mention Diallo.

I see that now. Very odd. I wonder if he's just not a big enough name for yahoo to know he's not participating whereas UK media is focused on our guys and knows that?

I’m pretty sure Tipton took his comments completely out of context ... why is this even a discussion? Lol do we really think even Diallo was like “yeah, I played awful on purpose at times for the betterment of the team”

Cmon ...

That being said , I wish him the best of luck! I still think he could have secured himself in the 1st round by coming back for another year but what do I know?
I think another year we would have seen a more efficient Dillao. But he gone now, so.

I think another year we would have seen a more efficient Dillao. But he gone now, so.

Absolutely. I mean I get leaving if your guaranteed 1st round, I really do... but I don’t understand the thought process that being a multi MILLIONAIRE should be achieved in 9-18 months.

Sometimes it takes a bit longer , ya know to earn millions and millions of $$$.

Idk

ADVERTISEMENT