ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo skipping NBA combine

Gotta leave it for Tipton to create something from nothing with this “suggestion”. Where the hell does this guy come up with this crap, and how does he still have a job?
It's like Umm or witnessgreat. Posters eat those guys. But, believe Tipton and start bashing a player.
Tipton 1
RR. 0

Reactions: shutzhund
I
He isn't saying it's someone else's fault that he shot poorly or went through a slump, he's saying he can do more than he showed here because that wasn't his role. I think you could say that of nearly all of our guys, but it's necessary to build a cohesive team. It's why a lot of guys go elsewhere to be the entire show.

What specifically can he show more than his chance at UK?

1. Simply put...Hami isn't just a below par shooter...he's got awful handles. Probably worse handles than his shot at this point in time.
2. Hami got plenty of minutes...he simply never did much of anything with it.
3. Hami would get the ball plenty on the secondary break as well as entire side of floor cleared out. After dribbling it once to see if he could just blow past defender in straight line only fashion...he always picked up his dribble and fan it back out to SGA/Quade. He literally couldn't do anything laterally and/or dribble thru contact.

What else at UK was holding Hami back? I'm lost on this stuff.

I guess his camp is thinking "Don't give them enough rope to hang you"? I guess it *could* work. There's a ton of upside with him.. Is he hoping a team will look at the tape they do have and draft him anyways?

What specifically can he show more than his chance at UK?

1. Simply put...Hami isn't just a below par shooter...he's got awful handles. Probably worse handles than his shot at this point in time.
2. Hami got plenty of minutes...he simply never did much of anything with it.
3. Hami would get the ball plenty on the secondary break as well as entire side of floor cleared out. After dribbling it once to see if he could just blow past defender in straight line only fashion...he always picked up his dribble and fan it back out to SGA/Quade. He literally couldn't do anything laterally and/or dribble thru contact.

What else at UK was holding Hami back? I'm lost on this stuff.

Well part of the answer is that we don't know. If we didn't see him do it, I can't tell you for sure that he can do it.

But there are lots of things we didn't see him attempt, or at least not with any kind of consistency or sustained focus. We didn't post him, we didn't put him as the ballhandler in the pick and roll, we didn't run him off screens to the middle or baseline for lobs, we didn't put him at the point of the press.

Now maybe that's because he isn't good at them or comfortable with them and Cal knew that wouldn't work. Maybe it's because for some of those things, another focus to another guy was a better option. If Hami's effectiveness at it is a 7 but SGA does it as a 9, you can't really run it for Hami. You can't run sets for all five guys at once unless you have the most perfect team ever assembled. Something has to give.

So if (according to Jerry Tipton's interpretation) Diallo feels like there are parts of his game he didn't show here, that's understandable.

We see it every year. Davis and Towns were better perimeter shooters than we let them be. Bam is better off the bounce and blocking shots than his role here displayed. Devin Booker has a better handle and is a better passer than we knew. Jamal Murray is basically a point guard.

But instead, it's eye rolls and sarcasm that maybe we haven't seen the full arsenal or best performance from a bunch of 19 year olds trying to figure it out in 6 months. It's no wonder our fans are horrified when guys go pro.

Hami didn't want to show his true abilities all season in passing, shooting, defense, and decision-making for the good of the team. He especially didn't want to hurt his teammates against K-State by showing them up with his superior abilities in these areas. He also doesn't want to hurt other players at the combine by showing all his skills and making them appear poorly in all those areas in comparison. Seems very decent of him.

Don’t wanna blast the kid, but I don’t think he ever dunked on anybody in a UK uniform. Dude had like a 46” vertical, and didn’t even know how to use it. Apparently he didn’t use any skills at UK. Was better for the team if he acted like he was completely lost at all times.

9KaKDdwDzC0

24 seconds in.

I’m pretty sure Tipton took his comments completely out of context ... why is this even a discussion? Lol do we really think even Diallo was like “yeah, I played awful on purpose at times for the betterment of the team”

Cmon ...

That being said , I wish him the best of luck! I still think he could have secured himself in the 1st round by coming back for another year but what do I know?

Reactions: KyFaninNC
per the Twitter tweets.

Awful decision for a dude who way underperformed this year. He has the wrong people advising him on this.
He might be trying to skip the requirement to play 5 on 5. His numbers from last year are already well established. Best he can do is duplicate them. To do so he would probably have to scrimmage which will be what hurts him the most.

By not playing, Hami is relying TOTALLY on his measurables and potential rather than his current abilities. He's also saying that he can't improve his draft stock any further at UK by hiring an agent.

He is truly rolling the dice on his basketball career with the way he's went about this.

He’ll do individual work outs for teams and get better chance of sneaking in the late first round.

Because that's not what it says.

Every one of our guys is capable of more than they show here. With the talent we assemble, everyone has to sacrifice for the good of the team.

Hami accepted every role given to him and remained a great teammate even when he struggled on the court.
Lol, so Hami had to sacrifice? Man I bet SGA was wishing he didn't seeing he was our only offensive option a lot of the time. I'd say the only thing Hami sacrificed was his Defense bc he was pretty awful at that. I think you're confusing the word sacrifice with lack of skill/effort. Kid simply doesn't have skills for the NBA(or to be an elite college player) besides jumping really high.

Just because players play with other good players doesn't mean they sacrifice their talents. I'm pretty sure Wall Bledsoe Cousins Patterson all played to the best of their abilities and didn't have to sacrifice. Unless your point is that if you play with other great players then ultimately you have to sacrifice your talent, and if thats the case Trae Young and Ben Simmons are geniuses.

Like the rest of you I hope it all works out for the young man. I realize I’m decades from being a teenager, but I wish he’d come back to UK and gotten his degree. I love the place, but I am souring on the big money game college basketball has become. In that sense I can’t blame him for moving on and wanting some of it.

Well part of the answer is that we don't know. If we didn't see him do it, I can't tell you for sure that he can do it.

But there are lots of things we didn't see him attempt, or at least not with any kind of consistency or sustained focus. We didn't post him, we didn't put him as the ballhandler in the pick and roll, we didn't run him off screens to the middle or baseline for lobs, we didn't put him at the point of the press.

Now maybe that's because he isn't good at them or comfortable with them and Cal knew that wouldn't work. Maybe it's because for some of those things, another focus to another guy was a better option. If Hami's effectiveness at it is a 7 but SGA does it as a 9, you can't really run it for Hami. You can't run sets for all five guys at once unless you have the most perfect team ever assembled. Something has to give.

So if (according to Jerry Tipton's interpretation) Diallo feels like there are parts of his game he didn't show here, that's understandable.

We see it every year. Davis and Towns were better perimeter shooters than we let them be. Bam is better off the bounce and blocking shots than his role here displayed. Devin Booker has a better handle and is a better passer than we knew. Jamal Murray is basically a point guard.

But instead, it's eye rolls and sarcasm that maybe we haven't seen the full arsenal or best performance from a bunch of 19 year olds trying to figure it out in 6 months. It's no wonder our fans are horrified when guys go pro.
My God. You can not see the forest for the trees. Give you credit for your blind homerism tho.

My God. You can not see the forest for the trees. Give you credit for your blind homerism tho.

The same blind homerism that said we were probably a Sweet 16 team last offseason? Or the one that says Jarred Vanderbilt should go pro even if it's in the second round because he can't stay healthy or the one who doesn't blame SKJ for transferring?

Maybe I'm just not an overly negative person who takes zero pleasure from their biggest hobby. Maybe I use precedent and context to establish opinions and predict future outcomes, and maybe that general optimism is warranted as we've won as many games and tournament games as any program in the last decade.

If you have to be unhappy about that to be a "realist," you guys can go back to your NIT party threads and avoid me.

How about 45 seconds in with a nice missed open layup or 57 seconds in with a silly and early in the shot clock jump shot going away from the basket? Guess he was trying to make his teammates look good if they grabbed rebounds..........

Agreed but the original question was about his vertical and not dunking on people.

Clearly I’m in the minority but I think it’s smart of him to skip the combine. He posted eye popping results last year and it didn’t get him a 1st round guarantee. At best you match the results of last year and what does that prove. At worst you do poorly and then you have another notch against you after already posting an inconsistent season at UK. It wouldn’t surprise me to see someone take a flier on him in the first round because of the athleticism. Playing in the combine would only risk hindering that.

Diallo is what he is(whatever that is) he did what he did here(he made some contributions to the team/program) he has moved on and what happens next is anybody's guess.He made the right choice for himself and probably UK as well.

“Blind homerism” > blind idiocy and being dumbfoundingly negative ALL the time.

I’m not a blind homer, nor is Gonzo... very few on here are “blind homers” I fully expected a rd of 32/S16 finish the entire season last year.

You seem like the type who could win $2.5 million in the Kentucky lottery and bitch and moan that it wasn’t $3 million...

With all due respect of course :)

Reactions: bookerfan66
Clearly I’m in the minority but I think it’s smart of him to skip the combine. He posted eye popping results last year and it didn’t get him a 1st round guarantee. At best you match the results of last year and what does that prove. At worst you do poorly and then you have another notch against you after already posting an inconsistent season at UK. It wouldn’t surprise me to see someone take a flier on him in the first round because of the athleticism. Playing in the combine would only risk hindering that.
You're probably in the minority. That's clearly what he's trying to do but it still very bad advice he is taking. He clearly doesn't want to get exposed but for some reason these kids think that NBA teams can't figure that out. He was never going in the first round no matter what. Now he is jeopardizing where he can go in the 2nd round.

You have to show that you can play the game to get drafted. The notion that you can jump as high as you can a year ago and then sit back and coast on that is not realistic career planning. Even in the NBA there is only so much stock invested in vertical leap. If you can't shoot, defend, dribble, pass or make basic decisions on the court then you can't play in the NBA. At some point Hami will have to prove that he can do those things.

Reactions: catben
Actually a great decision. Combine can only hurt him at this point. This is why people get paid to do what they do and we are on here

per the Twitter tweets.

Awful decision for a dude who way underperformed this year. He has the wrong people advising him on this.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
The same blind homerism that said we were probably a Sweet 16 team last offseason? Or the one that says Jarred Vanderbilt should go pro even if it's in the second round because he can't stay healthy or the one who doesn't blame SKJ for transferring?

Maybe I'm just not an overly negative person who takes zero pleasure from their biggest hobby. Maybe I use precedent and context to establish opinions and predict future outcomes, and maybe that general optimism is warranted as we've won as many games and tournament games as any program in the last decade.

If you have to be unhappy about that to be a "realist," you guys can go back to your NIT party threads and avoid me.
If you can’t see that Hami is severely lacking basketball skills, that is on you. There was a reason he refused to play when he first here and refused to do the 5-5 in the combine last year. He was hiding something and most of us saw what it was a few games into the year.

“Blind homerism” > blind idiocy and being dumbfoundingly negative ALL the time.

I’m not a blind homer, nor is Gonzo... very few on here are “blind homers” I fully expected a rd of 32/S16 finish the entire season last year.

You seem like the type who could win $2.5 million in the Kentucky lottery and bitch and moan that it wasn’t $3 million...

With all due respect of course :)
Nothing about you is respectful. We all see it in your personal insults.

You and gonzo are pure “sunshine pumpers” and refuse to live in realville. You both seem to think Hami has basketball skills. Other than one game, when did you see them?

I am trying to debate basketball here, and all you can do is hurl insults. I doubt you know much about the game and how it is suppose to be played.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Actually a great decision. Combine can only hurt him at this point. This is why people get paid to do what they do and we are on here

I don’t understand this (not being combative)

If simply going to a combine will “hurt” his chances then how TF does he belong in the NBA?
GM’s aren’t stupid ?

NBA -GM—> Yo, Hami won’t be going to the combine and we know it’s because he thinks he won’t be able to show out and doesn’t have the skills to impress but let’s just draft him anyways”

Reactions: catben
You're probably in the minority. That's clearly what he's trying to do but it still very bad advice he is taking. He clearly doesn't want to get exposed but for some reason these kids think that NBA teams can't figure that out. He was never going in the first round no matter what. Now he is jeopardizing where he can go in the 2nd round.

You have to show that you can play the game to get drafted. The notion that you can jump as high as you can a year ago and then sit back and coast on that is not realistic career planning. Even in the NBA there is only so much stock invested in vertical leap. If you can't shoot, defend, dribble, pass or make basic decisions on the court then you can't play in the NBA. At some point Hami will have to prove that he can do those things.

I get what you’re saying but if he falls out of the first round, it doesn’t matter where he goes in the 2nd. He will be fighting for a roster spot no matter what even if he wasn’t drafted at all. There is no guaranteed money in the 2nd round like in the first round. With the small chance some team will take you in the first round, I think you take the gamble of not going to the combine then go and have a bad workout and cost yourself a first round spot. I don’t think he could play his way into the first round even with a good combine for the reasons you mentioned. He’s been seen all year at UK and teams know what they are getting. If there is even a hint the athleticism has slipped from last year, any chance he has at a first round spot would be gone

You and gonzo are pure “sunshine pumpers” and refuse to live in realville. You both seem to think Hami has basketball skills. Other than one game, when did you see them?

I am trying to debate basketball here, and all you can do is hurl insults. I doubt you know much about the game and how it is suppose to be played.

Sorry if I struck a nerve or if we made you feel inferior in any way. Genuinely, was not my intention

Stick to be constantly negative though... it’s your shtick at this point. Enjoying a hobby (UK basketball ) and being constantly miserable doesn’t sound to fun to me, but maybe it is for you? If so... that’s perfectly fine but you can’t throw tantrums when people question/ call you out on your constant negative and Eeyore-esque takes.

A) why would you pick and roll with Hami if he's not able to pass? And if he's the pick he won't be able to slip and shoot. Hami is just very offensively challenged player
B) We didn't press most season due to lack of depth that would've tired our team.
C)Davis and Towns shouldn't be taking perimeter shots in college. Bam was our only post player why would you put the ball in his hands and sacrifice rebounds and put backs when he's the worst ball handler. Devin Booker played on a platoon team and had every opportunity to show his skill, was a shooter in college and took the role happily. Jamal Murray was one of the best shooters in college and we had Ulis why would he run point? Maybe the answer you're looking for is players grow and develop in the NBA and accept different positions they did here because of the rise in talent. Cal didn't hold players back, they simply developed more in the NBA. Karl towns game in the NBA should actually take less 3's.
D) Some players like Diallo JV PJ WG would do better with another year of college to develop and go in the draft next year in a weak class and pretty much be guranteed 1st rd

/rantover

He’s a 6’5 kid who can’t throw it in the ocean standing on a boat. If you are a guard you have got to be able to hit consistently from outside.
Good luck to him but I’m thinking we’re hearing the last of Hami.

Wrong. I’ve said all year Hami should return to UK as I don’t believe he will be selected in the 1st round.

I think it’s silly of him to skip the combine just in attempts to sneak into the draft... but it’s his decision at the end of the day, and his decision doesn’t make me angry like it seems to make you...

A) why would you pick and roll with Hami if he's not able to pass? And if he's the pick he won't be able to slip and shoot. Hami is just very offensively challenged player
B) We didn't press most season due to lack of depth that would've tired our team.
C)Davis and Towns shouldn't be taking perimeter shots in college. Bam was our only post player why would you put the ball in his hands and sacrifice rebounds and put backs when he's the worst ball handler. Devin Booker played on a platoon team and had every opportunity to show his skill, was a shooter in college and took the role happily. Jamal Murray was one of the best shooters in college and we had Ulis why would he run point? Maybe the answer you're looking for is players grow and develop in the NBA and accept different positions they did here because of the rise in talent. Cal didn't hold players back, they simply developed more in the NBA. Karl towns game in the NBA should actually take less 3's.
D) Some players like Diallo JV PJ WG would do better with another year of college to develop and go in the draft next year in a weak class and pretty much be guranteed 1st rd

/rantover

Agreed with D. PJ especially could solidify himself in the 1st round by simply coming back for 1 more year

It is legitimately the difference between (possibly?) 35k and $5-$9 million dollars.

At the end of the day I think PJ will make the best decision , but if he goes? He goes... nothing we can do about it unfortunately

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
Agreed with D. PJ especially could solidify himself in the 1st round by simply coming back for 1 more year

It is legitimately the difference between (possibly?) 35k and $5-$9 million dollars.

At the end of the day I think PJ will make the best decision , but if he goes? He goes... nothing we can do about it unfortunately
I hope PJ comes back. I won't be "mad" if he doesn't but assuming JV will be out for an extended period of time next year our post could be thin. Also my rant was mostly geared towards people acting like Diallo was somehow held back when he simply lacked the skills/effort(ppl seem to forget he was jawing at Cal a lot throughout the season) to play efficiently on O or D. Except in the Kstate game where he actually seemed to give full effort.

ADVERTISEMENT