ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo scores 11; Fox continues his hot start.

I'm stoked because most of UK's NBA guys appear to have a long staying potential in the league. Got to imagine that Johnson, Montgomery, Maxey, and Whitney will be around for a while as well, not to mention a handful of the other guys who wil invariably develop and find an NBA niche somewhere.

Fox: 22 points, 10 assists
WCS 13 points, 7 rebounds
Diallo 11 points, 2 assists
Noel 6 points, 5 rebounds
Patterson 4 points, 2 rebounds
Poythress 3 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists
Murray, Lyles, SGA, Knight all still in action

"I'm so glad Diallo isn't at UK anymore. If he can only score 11 for the Thunder in a random game in his rookie season we don't need him at UK"

Sincerely,
Most the idiots on Rafters

"I'm so glad Diallo isn't at UK anymore. If he can only score 11 for the Thunder in a random game in his rookie season we don't need him at UK"

Sincerely,

I still remember some UK fans here being happy when Joe Crawford almost transferred with cries of "we don't need him." Others were elated at the thought of Calipari possibly cutting Liggins when he first came here.

Jesus said the poor with be with you always. Well, I say "some idiots will always be with you on this message board."

I still remember some UK fans here being happy when Joe Crawford almost transferred with cries of "we don't need him." Others were elated at the thought of Calipari possibly cutting Liggins when he first came here.

Jesus said the poor with be with you always. Well, I say "some idiots will always be with you on this message board."

Half the board gave up on NR after his freshman season....

I can't even count how many times I defended him here .which is weird considering this is UK board.

Scoring in the NBA is waaay up so far this year. Maybe it's just an early season thing, with teams not expending as much energy getting back on defense, but it really looks like there's A LOT more emphasis on the transition game.

For a quarter century, the NBA has been playing at what would have been, by the norms of the 60's through early 90's, a very slow pace. If you look back at 1988, the average team scored 108.2, despite only averaging 1.6 made 3 pointers a game. Last year was the highest scoring season since 1991, but a lot of that increase is due to made 3's (which hit 10.5 per game). The next trend appears to be to combine the 3 point bombing with an emphasis on getting out and running (the Golden State model, as opposed to Houston).

If that's the way the game keeps going, Diallo has a bright future in the league. He'll probably never be a knockdown shooter, and his overall skills are dicey for a pro, but he is an absolute beast running the floor, and has all the physical tools to defend 3-4 different positions.

Sincerely,

I am very glad he’s not at UK this year. Wouldn’t want the clutter. Even though I do think he turned a corner late, this team has heart last years team never had.

It’s perfect the way it is with Herro and Baker + our other guards / Johnson. Diallo makes us too deep and regardless of people realize this or not, Cal is better with a shorter unit of guys.

Fox: 22 points, 10 assists
WCS 13 points, 7 rebounds
Diallo 11 points, 2 assists
Noel 6 points, 5 rebounds
Patterson 4 points, 2 rebounds
Poythress 3 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists
Murray, Lyles, SGA, Knight all still in action
you’ll really feel the scope of things when you realize to keep track of everyone is almost impossible. but keep up the good work.

I am very glad he’s not at UK this year. Wouldn’t want the clutter. Even though I do think he turned a corner late, this team has heart last years team never had.

It’s perfect the way it is with Herro and Baker + our other guards / Johnson. Diallo makes us too deep and regardless of people realize this or not, Cal is better with a shorter unit of guys.

We know zero about Baker so its not perfect. I hope the kid scorches the Earth with his shooting but we don't know what he is going to be able to do so again, its not perfect or too deep. I'd like to have Diallo's athleticism on the wing this year. Could have helped us defensively, but I'm very happy for the guy and the Thunder

We have one small forward on the roster and one of our guards is coming off a major knee injury and is yet to play a division one minute.

I think I'd take a wing that is proving he can play at an NBA level. This team has skill. If it's lacking anything, it's athleticism, and he might be one of the best athletes at Kentucky in my lifetime.

We also nearly went undefeated with the deepest team in history. Its major flaw, and ultimate demise, was when its best athlete/versatile defender was lost for the year due to injury. That team was "too deep" too, especially in the front court. Until they weren't because they lost a guy who provided a different skillset than the others.

Reactions: floatingyou
We have one small forward on the roster and one of our guards is coming off a major knee injury and is yet to play a division one minute.

I think I'd take a wing that is proving he can play at an NBA level. This team has skill. If it's lacking anything, it's athleticism, and he might be one of the best athletes at Kentucky in my lifetime.

We also nearly went undefeated with the deepest team in history. Its major flaw, and ultimate demise, was when its best athlete/versatile defender was lost for the year due to injury. That team was "too deep" too, especially in the front court. Until they weren't because they lost a guy who provided a different skillset than the others.
I don’t see this team lacking athleticism? Herro, Johnson, Hagans, and pj are pretty athletic. I also don’t believe athleticism is that important, unless it coincides with other skill sets the player has. It’s nice to have, but not the end all.

Reactions: Cindog28

I do not watch this team and think golly we lack athleticism lol.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Scoring in the NBA is waaay up so far this year. Maybe it's just an early season thing, with teams not expending as much energy getting back on defense, but it really looks like there's A LOT more emphasis on the transition game.

For a quarter century, the NBA has been playing at what would have been, by the norms of the 60's through early 90's, a very slow pace. If you look back at 1988, the average team scored 108.2, despite only averaging 1.6 made 3 pointers a game. Last year was the highest scoring season since 1991, but a lot of that increase is due to made 3's (which hit 10.5 per game). The next trend appears to be to combine the 3 point bombing with an emphasis on getting out and running (the Golden State model, as opposed to Houston).

If that's the way the game keeps going, Diallo has a bright future in the league. He'll probably never be a knockdown shooter, and his overall skills are dicey for a pro, but he is an absolute beast running the floor, and has all the physical tools to defend 3-4 different positions.

If you’ve watched any games, you’ve probably noticed that they’ve taken the freedom of movement initiative up another notch. Can’t touch anybody, at least so far this year.

Reactions: floatingyou

oh what one blue-white scrimmage can do.

I don’t see this team lacking athleticism? Herro, Johnson, Hagans, and pj are pretty athletic. I also don’t believe athleticism is that important, unless it coincides with other skill sets the player has. It’s nice to have, but not the end all.

Herro is a pretty average athlete by elite wing standards. The other three are above average but not elite athletes. IQ is a solid athlete, Montgomery is fluid, we're solid. It's a relative discussion compared to what we usually have and compared to the team we're really competing against for greatness.

There's no Wall, Fox, Monk, Bam, Willie, Poythress, etc level athlete on this team. You occasionally need guys like that to make a play no one else can make. Diallo would give us one at a level we don't have.

Herro is a pretty average athlete by elite wing standards. The other three are above average but not elite athletes. IQ is a solid athlete, Montgomery is fluid, we're solid. It's a relative discussion compared to what we usually have and compared to the team we're really competing against for greatness.

There's no Wall, Fox, Monk, Bam, Willie, Poythress, etc level athlete on this team. You occasionally need guys like that to make a play no one else can make. Diallo would give us one at a level we don't have.

Nick Richards may be the athlete who makes those “out of nowhere” plays from time to time.

Nick Richards may be the athlete who makes those “out of nowhere” plays from time to time.

Absolutely. I think he's the best athlete on the team. But I'm also not sure that our best five on the floor includes him, and we've seen him be sporadic. Hopefully the sophomore leap fixes that.

But even if we're accounting for no improvement, I'd take the Hamidou Diallo we had to end the season all year last year on this or pretty much any team we've ever had.

To say we wouldn't be better with him, or that you're glad he's gone is foolish. Think he wouldn't be nice to have against RJ Barrett or Nassir Little or in the pressing/transition fest that Pearl will try at Auburn or to switch onto Florida's small ball three point shooting? Think a second unit of Quade, Herro/Baker, Travis, Mongtomery couldn't use his dynamic gifts alongside all that skill?

It's just pure frustration and hurt feelings. Folks made their mind up about the kid before he ever took a shot.

Reactions: JC43

I just dont think we need him. And even though injuries are a concern, Cal does like a shorter rotation and I think he's more effective that way. I mean I guess if Hami would come off the bench in a defender role it would be nice, but I really wouldn't want him killing the offense or soaking up Johnson / Herro minutes. Also Cal would definitely be giving him loads of minutes if he came back. Just wouldn't want it.

Reactions: STL_Cat and KFuqua
Absolutely. I think he's the best athlete on the team. But I'm also not sure that our best five on the floor includes him, and we've seen him be sporadic. Hopefully the sophomore leap fixes that.

But even if we're accounting for no improvement, I'd take the Hamidou Diallo we had to end the season all year last year on this or pretty much any team we've ever had.

To say we wouldn't be better with him, or that you're glad he's gone is foolish. Think he wouldn't be nice to have against RJ Barrett or Nassir Little or in the pressing/transition fest that Pearl will try at Auburn or to switch onto Florida's small ball three point shooting? Think a second unit of Quade, Herro/Baker, Travis, Mongtomery couldn't use his dynamic gifts alongside all that skill?

It's just pure frustration and hurt feelings. Folks made their mind up about the kid before he ever took a shot.

You’re preaching to the choir, I would never not want a talent like that on the roster, unless he was a massive locker room disruption/chemistry killer. And I trust Cal to handle that stuff anyway.

Now if the situation becomes choose between Diallo and Herro, for instance, maybe that requires more thought.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
You’re preaching to the choir, I would never not want a talent like that on the roster, unless he was a massive locker room disruption/chemistry killer. And I trust Cal to handle that stuff anyway.

Now if the situation becomes choose between Diallo and Herro, for instance, maybe that requires more thought.

Sorry man if someone would actually prefer Diallo to Herro, there's nothing you can do at this point but shake the head. One is a basketball player with skills and the ability to really produce on offense / high on court IQ and the other left me scratching my head 80% of the time with no offensive ability at all. This is college basketball.

No way on any planet in the solar system.

I just dont think we need him. And even though injuries are a concern, Cal does like a shorter rotation and I think he's more effective that way. I mean I guess if Hami would come off the bench in a defender role it would be nice, but I really wouldn't want him killing the offense or soaking up Johnson / Herro minutes. Also Cal would definitely be giving him loads of minutes if he came back. Just wouldn't want it.

We don't "need" him, I agree. We're as loaded as anyone. All of our discussions have to happen within the context of what we're really chasing here. We also don't "need" Tyrese Maxey, but I'd love to have had him or Carey or someone reclassify and join this team.

We've seen injuries and foul trouble and fatigue and freshmen jitters all pop up from time to time. It'd be great to have a sophomore-and-a-half wing that's one of the best athletes on the planet.

I also think a lot of the frustrating parts of his game would be gone with the increased skill around him. Spacing and balance solves a lot of issues.

Reactions: JC43

I don’t think you can know how many minutes he would get.

Wenyen came back, and had 13 games where he played minutes in the teens. Maybe interesting...none of those games were in the last 8.

You could say that things started to click a little more for Wenyen at the end of his Sophomore year. Maybe Diallo would have done the same?

Anyway, we’re fine without him, but I would never turn down a guy like that on the roster. You make it work.

Sorry man if someone would actually prefer Diallo to Herro, there's nothing you can do at this point but shake the head. One is a basketball player with skills and the ability to really produce on offense / high on court IQ and the other left me scratching my head 80% of the time with no offensive ability at all. This is college basketball.

No way on any planet in the solar system.

That’s kind of what I was saying...if you know Herro won’t come if Diallo stays, maybe you pick Herro.

Also, I “think” I agree with you, but let me watch a few games when the lights come on. If Herro plays like he did in the Bahamas, it isn’t a tough choice. Especially when Keldon Johnson duplicates some of what you get from Diallo.

Reactions: morgousky
based off of what? big blue madness?

Based on watching Diallo and Knox go through walk throughs all year and seeing this team play with much more tenacity through THREE scrimmage games. If last years team doesn't make you think that some guys aren't 100% then there's no point in me arguing your agenda. You literally take up for any player through any situation. You have no credibility and diversity of thought on the topic.

In my opinion of course

Last edited:
We don't "need" him, I agree. We're as loaded as anyone. All of our discussions have to happen within the context of what we're really chasing here. We also don't "need" Tyrese Maxey, but I'd love to have had him or Carey or someone reclassify and join this team.

We've seen injuries and foul trouble and fatigue and freshmen jitters all pop up from time to time. It'd be great to have a sophomore-and-a-half wing that's one of the best athletes on the planet.

I also think a lot of the frustrating parts of his game would be gone with the increased skill around him. Spacing and balance solves a lot of issues.

It might, I guess if I had the option today of adding Diallo to the roster It would be tough to turn down obviously. But a part of me wouldn't want to do it. In my opinion it wasn't an accident that Diallo suddenly turned it up and became a totally different player in the tournament. He's not having the same trouble transitioning into the NBA. I believe last years team had some guys that were willing to take plays and games off. Was it mental? Was it one foot in, one foot out? Scared of injury? Weaker mindset at 18? I don't know. But I know what it looks like when players aren't giving 110. And I can guarantee you Cal knows when they're not going 110 too. Even last year he stepped out of character and ran some players through the media.

You can look at a guy like Randle, a guy like Knight, even a guy like Green and see that they dont intentionally take plays off. They will hurt you going 110 before they'll take a play. Knox, Diallo, Vanderbilt are not those guys. So I really wouldn't want to throw off what we seem to have with a guy that is questionable. I agree about spacing and depth, but (not to change the subject) I would like to see a core of 6 guys that Cal molds together over a season. I know that's not happening, but I wish. It really can't happen today because Cal is able to recruit too many guys out of each class. Can't turn away a 17th ranked player that's a guarantee....

I know you probably wouldn't admit any of those guys could have taken plays off even if you thought it was happening. I get it, lift the ones that are scrutinized the most. Sometimes I feel that way as well. But we're good and Diallo is where he wants to be. So because I can't change anything I'll take it this way.

Eh, and after all that if you handed me a Diallo button I'd push it for sure. Playing him behind Johnson would be impossible to turn away.

Aike wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: GonzoCat90

Holy ish. I hope Diallo's mom hacked your account.

Reactions: morgousky
Holy ish. I hope Diallo's mom hacked your account.

Yea not sure about that last statement. I'm sure hes going off of combine numbers or something but Diallo had an inexplicable ability to play extremely small. I'll take Walls athleticism anyday.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Diallo is making 3.8 million over 4 yrs, not bad for a kid from NYC w no father. I never understood the negativity surrounding him. I always felt that he played with maximum effort. Las years team seemed to be split. They played more as individuals than as a team. This year's team is already there for each other. I don't see individuals I see a team already

Reactions: mdlUK.1
based off of what? big blue madness?

You obviously didn't pay attention to the Bahamas trip, or haven't been keeping up with Calipari's own comments about this team's work ethic in practice being a joy to coach.

Ultimately, I think last year's team was a Sweet 16 caliber team, so I was cool with how they improved and closed out the year in the SEC Tournament and NCAA Tournament.

That said, they certainly had a few guys who sort of went through the motions and just didn't have that dog mentality Cal talks about. This team obviously has it.

ADVERTISEMENT