ADVERTISEMENT

Diallo and Bamba (actually not about Hamidou)

Apr 17, 2010
All this talk about Diallo and Bamba brings to mind another player that UK missed on, Cheik Diallo. Remember him being the McD's MVP? He was supposed to be the man, just like Mo Bamba. Tall, long, shot blocking center with unreal athletic ability. I think I remember him going to Kansas and after finally getting to play he averaged 3.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in 7.5 minutes per game. Hope Bamba fares better than Cheik. I can't really think of many recruits that we missed out on that were as promised coming out of HS. Maybe Allen last year, but then names Selby and Shabazz Muhammad come to mind about guys that didn't want to play for UK and wanted to shine somewhere else. Their choices didn't work out for them either. I believe if Cal wants you, he will get you, if he believes there is a chance you may be a bust, he may lay off a little, but will still pursue you for that slight chance you aren't.

Reactions: Blueaz
Not sure if this isn't the typical we didn't want him, need him, he isn't really all that good post that happens after we get spurned by a top recruit. Bamba was most clearly the one missing piece to a top season potential immediately for our team. Every year we seem to have one position that if the recruit came it would be an over the top situation. Now, we have to hope that SKJ somehow is way better than last season and Richards can show better hands and rebounding skills than what he showed during the all star games. We don't have to depend upon him for offense thank goodness, but Cal's best defenses have always been when there is a guy in the middle who is a defensive stopper. That was Bamba and him going elsewhere can't be shrugged off easily. And, as far as I am concerned, he is a fool. Want to be part of the highest level elite or a star on a good team that won't challenge you? I never respect that second choice. The best players are those who seek the competition.

Not sure if this isn't the typical we didn't want him, need him, he isn't really all that good post that happens after we get spurned by a top recruit. Bamba was most clearly the one missing piece to a top season potential immediately for our team. Every year we seem to have one position that if the recruit came it would be an over the top situation. Now, we have to hope that SKJ somehow is way better than last season and Richards can show better hands and rebounding skills than what he showed during the all star games. We don't have to depend upon him for offense thank goodness, but Cal's best defenses have always been when there is a guy in the middle who is a defensive stopper. That was Bamba and him going elsewhere can't be shrugged off easily. And, as far as I am concerned, he is a fool. Want to be part of the highest level elite or a star on a good team that won't challenge you? I never respect that second choice. The best players are those who seek the competition.

I didn't say we didn't want him, need him, or he wasn't that good to begin with. You misunderstood me. I was just saying that big name recruits that go elsewhere usually aren't as advertised. As evidenced by the guys I named. Maybe Cal saw that. People are foolish to believe that they know more about these guys from the film they watch than our coaches. Also, why sell Richards short on being a defensive stopper in the middle? You're right that we didn't need him for offense, just as we weren't hoping for the offensive game of Bamba. I'm just saying that maybe it's a blessing that we missed out on him, only time will tell. He could be the next Selby, Shabazz, Bolden. I really don't think that this one kid's shot blocking ability sets this team over the edge from being great to elite. The reason I don't think it is that way is because I don't truly know, just as no one does. Remember, we thought our Julius Randle, Twin class was going to be undefeated, we didn't know then either.

I am sorry I disagree 78 as UK still will have the best front court in the country without Bamba IMO the missing peice right now is SG . To be hands down the preseason fav we need Diallo or Johnson .Without either one we will be co favorites with MSU which ain't bad either but I am greedy. LOL.

Reactions: LXA_chop
Bamba is probably the player I wanted most in this class. But that doesn't mean we needed him. Those two points can be mutually exclusive.

Bamba's ceiling is higher than maybe any post player we have had at UK. But the chances of him reaching that ceiling in one year at UK or Texas is very small. Richards absolutely has the ability to meet or exceed the impact of Bamba. I like our team.

Not sure if this isn't the typical we didn't want him, need him, he isn't really all that good post that happens after we get spurned by a top recruit. Bamba was most clearly the one missing piece to a top season potential immediately for our team... I never respect that second choice. The best players are those who seek the competition.
those two sentiments seem to contradict each other...now, that he has picked elsewhere...IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: LXA_chop
those two sentiments seem to counteract each other...now, that he has picked elsewhere...IMO

You choose not to underline my POTENTIAL IMMEDIATELY. I feel Bamba, from everything we saw, would have been an instant impact on defense that Richards and SKJ have not yet demonstrated. So, now we have to hope over next season either one or both grow in their observed to date skill level.

those two sentiments seem to counteract each other...now, that he has picked elsewhere...IMO

You choose not to underline my POTENTIAL IMMEDIATELY. I feel Bamba, from everything we saw, would have been an instant impact on defense that Richards and SKJ have not yet demonstrated. So, now we have to hope over next season either one or both grow in their observed to date skill level.
Your point was that he can be the difference maker. But he also is weak (non competitive) because he picked UT... its a little hard to have it both ways....
Just giving u some shit. No one is happy right now.

Guess your not looking to hard to see the reality as the gap isnt nearly as big as one would wish.
-Shows potential as a rim protector. Solid timing. Long arms. 3.4 blocks per 40 minutes. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nick-Richards-90071/ ©DraftExpress
Lifetime 4.1 blocks per 40 minutes. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mohamed-Bamba-91224/ ©DraftExpress

No, I don't mind when someone points out something I said wrong. But, not in this case. Both points as I said are true, Bamba obviously is very talented and is a difference maker. I am equally saying for his own growth and development, going to a program where he won't face the competition that Kentucky offers is not a good sign. To me, it is similar to Kyle Wiltjer. I know there are many here who love him. He transfers to Gonzaga and is a star, but against whom? If he had stayed at Kentucky and worked on his body, game development, learned to fight, etc. that would have made him way better. But, running away from competition is exactly why a talented kid like he is currently was tearing it up but in the D league after 5 years of college (yes the year he sat out he was still practicing. I just don't see it as a good sign for Bamba as well. MJ was the greatest because he was a beast competitively.
I do agree with you though......can't be happy.

Anarcho, Richards may turn out to be great. But, at the moment he looked more like a project. He was poor rebounding the ball against other talented players in those all-star games, would get beaten to the ball on those rebounds by much smaller players, showed pretty poor hands in catching the ball, and minimal offensive moves. Many here were comparing him to WCS when he first came out of High School until Bamba just went elsewhere. Now all of a sudden he is almost or as good as Bamba? I hope he proves that to be true. But, I am going on what has been observed at the moment and not what we hope. Same with SKJ. What we observed was........well not much since he couldn't even get onto the court including with clean-up. Still the weirdest thing last season, and let's hope there was some other story behind the scenes than that he didn't have the ability to beat anyone for minutes. I think he is the more likely player to start at center and I thought he looked good early in the year so again let's hope he was benched for other reasons.

C. Diallo was about

6'9" with shoes and 7'4" wingspan. Defensive guy, similar to Bamba. Also skinny dude, like Bamba.

But, Bamba is 7' with shoes and 7'9" enormous human being.

That physical difference alone makes a huge difference. If Bamba can gain weight and develop decent skill, he will contribute far more than Diallo can ever dream of.

ADVERTISEMENT