ADVERTISEMENT

Diagnosing Kentucky's passing problems

I get that there has been some turnover, that doesn't help. But, other schools do have that problem as well and don't have epically terrible passing offenses. I'm gonna take a wait-and-see approach to whether or not UK has been recruiting to change to a more pass friendly offense in the next year or two. It does appear that they are making that effort though. At some point, we need to start seeing it on the field.

It’s throw and catch. We don’t have the athletes to compete at high level in SEC play. Need more speed at receiver and need a quarterback who can throw it accurately down field. We don’t have either (when discussing TW). I like the kid, but he can’t do it. He lost his legs and that killed his options. Maybe Gatewood can do it. He has the strength for sure. Ali can’t catch stay focused.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Roush is an unabashed Wilson fan as are others on their staff. There was an article last week expressing glee when Clark and Houk didn't succeed in their brief try outs when Stoops benched Wilson at Mizzou two years ago. Yes there are many issues with the passing game but QB play is far and away the most critical.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
The passing game stinks because they refuse to use the middle of the field consistently, the RPO opens up slants (See TN Game), and TE seam routes, but they are scared to death to throw the ball betwixt the hashes.

Does gran attempt passes?

The throws are there. They're just not made. Which leads to receivers not giving max effort because they can tell when Terry's off. So it becomes circular.

Look at the routes and effort the week prior.

Reactions: THE_OAK
Does gran attempt passes?

The throws are there. They're just not made. Which leads to receivers not giving max effort because they can tell when Terry's off. So it becomes circular.

Look at the routes and effort the week prior.
This I completely agree with. If you're not involving receivers in a pass game, eventually they're gonna start taking plays off. Receivers didn't get started and don't love playing the position because they love to block. But they're a lot more likely to give maximum effort there if they are targeted more often.

Bottom line is there is no REAL 'will' to pass the ball....Not in Stoops' DNA
I'm willing to see in 2 to 3 years how things are when Allen and the young receivers UK has gotten are big parts of the offense. If it still looks like it does this year, I think we can all go ahead and accept that it's never going to happen under Stoops.

It seems to me Terrys been bad at making his reads. He doesnt trust the players to make a catch when theyre open because theyre drop so many and hes deathly afraid of throwing an INT, which also causes problems because he waits too damn long to throw the ball. I feel like the WRs and TEs had shown a consistent ability to catch hed have more trust and cut loose more.

Our QB's and team would be better served the rest of the year developing a good passing game so next year we are ready to be a more balanced team. A QB needs work passing the ball all over the field, ala Tim Couch, to get their confidence to the highest level. They will never be great until they have the freedom to work the whole field and in the meantime help develop numerous wide receivers and their confidence at a fast pace the rest of the season. This kind of attack would also help open up the running game more for the backs.

To me sacrificing a game or two, if need be, would be worth transcending our offense to a more balanced and more explosive team that would not only help us compete better in the SEC but would also help with recruiting better offensive players. The best teams play their best players regardless of their class. If we want to reach the next level that has to happen also.

This is it. He old school run ball, control clock and win with "D". He not going to change that philosophy.
Then he's going to lose with that philosophy. Nobody plays games to end in a 10 to 3 score these days. Those that do have short career expectations. We've been blessed over the fact that the past 5 years most of the SEC has had very poor offenses. That's starting to change. Going forward you shouldn't expect more than 2 SEC wins with out a good offense. The number of SEC teams that feature a Jarrett Garatano will be few. You simply can not ever have under 50 passing yards against an SEC opponent and expect to win. That number will going forward need to be over 250 and Stoops in his tenor has not produce more than 150 yard per game consistently. The offense for 8 years now has been so bad that to compare imagine you have a defense that consistently gives up 600 yards of offense. What are you odds of success? Basically zero.

Our QB's and team would be better served the rest of the year developing a good passing game so next year we are ready to be a more balanced team. A QB needs work passing the ball all over the field, ala Tim Couch, to get their confidence to the highest level. They will never be great until they have the freedom to work the whole field and in the meantime help develop numerous wide receivers and their confidence at a fast pace the rest of the season. This kind of attack would also help open up the running game more for the backs.

To me sacrificing a game or two, if need be, would be worth transcending our offense to a more balanced and more explosive team that would not only help us compete better in the SEC but would also help with recruiting better offensive players. The best teams play their best players regardless of their class. If we want to reach the next level that has to happen also.

This ~

The passing game stinks because they refuse to use the middle of the field consistently, the RPO opens up slants (See TN Game), and TE seam routes, but they are scared to death to throw the ball betwixt the hashes.

I think we should run some more TE tunnel screens against press coverage. They seem to work well. 😂🙁

And I’m afraid the circle reached to the O-line: our best and deepest in decades has failed miserably on at least two twists/stunts in Knoxville and Columbia.
Huh, are you saying the OL failed to pick up two individual pass protection plays? Unfortunate but hardly game defining. There are guys playing on the other side of the ball and sometimes they win.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT