ADVERTISEMENT

Devonta Smith, or Ja’marr Chase?

Smith looks like a spitting image of Marvin Harrison....who is in the Hall of Fame. Smith is just so fluid, cat quick, hands like vacuum cleaners, etc... We'll see how much of him is the system at Bama but he is eye opening good even if his body is not.

Reactions: UKat1
Speed kills. GD Smith has it in spades. Just a truly dominating performance. I mean with Waddle not 100%, they game planned for Smith. LOL, good effort. If he doesn't get injured, 300 yards not out of the question. By the way, Smith is not tiny by any means. He is not 200 lbs. but he is so elusive it doesn't really matter.
2018 Bama team :

Offense

Henry Ruggs WR Raiders
Jerry Juedy WR Broncos
Jaylen Waddle
Devonta Smith
Irv Smith Jr. TE Vikings

Jedrick Wills OL Browns
Jonah Williams

Tua QB Dolphins
Mack Jones
Jalen Hurts QB Eagles

Josh Jacobs RB Raiders
Damien Harris RB Patriots
Najee Harris

Defense

Raekwon Davis
Quinnen Williams
Anfernee Jennings
Dylon Moses
Trevon Diggs CB Cowboys
Patrick Surtain 11

I mean Saban is playing Chess while everybody else is playing checkers. That WR and RB group is unfair. Do not know about the QB group yet, but in college, they where the real deal. Can we just have 1 of each group ???? LOL. I would sacrifice A LOT for Jaylen Hurts / Ruggs / Smith Jr. / Josh Jacobs (Or any combo of skill positions)
3 NFL RB's, 3 NFL QB's and 5 (five) (Cinco) WR's, ON THE SAME DAMN TEAM.

Smith has the mental makeup to be a great receiver in the NFL and with the rules the way they are you don't have to be huge to hold up in the NFL.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Chase will be the better NFL WR because of his size. I just don't know if Smith has the body to hold up in the NFL.
Chase is really good but Smith being slender is not an issue. He is deceptively strong and runs perfect routes. If the corner can’t get there hands on him it won’t matter. He can have a Desean Jackson type impact with more route running ability.

Why of course, the recruiting is front and center, the #1 reason. I mean he is the best ever, but if he had the UK roster this year, he could only do so much, talent is king. Duh, but another thing is, he has the elite of the elite assistants. Lose a guy to the NFL or a head coaching gig in college, no problem, another is just waiting in the wings, dying for a chance to come aboard the starship. Same for players. Will be very interesting next year, he losses about what LSU did last year, even the hot shot OC. Lets see what the mastermind has in store for us. LSU failed to sustain the next year, lets see what Saban can do. You can't expect him to repeat, but IF he wins 10 games next year and gets back to the playoffs, or even a NY6 game, it will be a masterful job. He has studs waiting in the wings no doubt, BUT they are not seasoned YET, and have not been center stage.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
QB will be very important, the cupboard is not bare, but inexperienced, like a lot of positions.

Does he promote Major Applewhite to OC? He has another up and coming offensive coach, can't remember his name (an analyst).

Does he promote Major Applewhite to OC? He has another up and coming offensive coach, can't remember his name (an analyst).
Applewhite recently took the OC job at South Alabama.

Saban once again will be rebuilding his coaching staff, be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Why of course, the recruiting is front and center, the #1 reason. I mean he is the best ever, but if he had the UK roster this year, he could only do so much, talent is king. Duh, but another thing is, he has the elite of the elite assistants. Lose a guy to the NFL or a head coaching gig in college, no problem, another is just waiting in the wings, dying for a chance to come aboard the starship. Same for players. Will be very interesting next year, he losses about what LSU did last year, even the hot shot OC. Lets see what the mastermind has in store for us. LSU failed to sustain the next year, lets see what Saban can do. You can't expect him to repeat, but IF he wins 10 games next year and gets back to the playoffs, or even a NY6 game, it will be a masterful job. He has studs waiting in the wings no doubt, BUT they are not seasoned YET, and have not been center stage.
I don't expect much of a drop off, he roster builds as well as he recruits. I don't think they fall off anywhere close to the LSU situation. He's just better at building a team than anyone else out there.

NFL success depends on a lot of factors outside the players control but I'll start with saying it matters alot who is QB is and if the oline is worth anything. If the O-Line stinks and the QB is mobile (i.e. Deshaun Watson) then he will be great, if they stink and he has a pocket guy, he aint putting up pro bowl numbers. In the right system with above avg oline, qb, etc...then he'll be an elite guy.

But he is a different player than say a Randy Moss...who was a pure playmaker with elite, elite speed. Randy was just throw it downfield 30 yards and he'd catch it over anyone period.

Didn't realize that with Applewhite
I thought at one time Applewhite would be big time, and he still may be, but he was a huge flop at Houston.

Anyway, probably the worst kept secret was that Sark would move on somewhere to a HC job and one must think Applewhite knew that and if he had any chance at all at the Bama OC job he wouldn't have taken the South Alabama job. Don't know what Saban will do, imagine a NFL guy IMO, but wouldn't it be ironic if he hired Malzahn?

I thought at one time Applewhite would be big time, and he still may be, but he was a huge flop at Houston.

Anyway, probably the worst kept secret was that Sark would move on somewhere to a HC job and one must think Applewhite knew that and if he had any chance at all at the Bama OC job he wouldn't have taken the South Alabama job. Don't know what Saban will do, imagine a NFL guy IMO, but wouldn't it be ironic if he hired Malzahn?
Yes, that would be crazy. Salt in the gaping wound of Auburn. I'm sure there are a lot of OC out there that would jump at the chance to boost their resume at Bama, with all of those weapons.

I wish I knew how Smith was getting so dang open down the field. The TD plays were nifty but for the most part he was running wide open...How does that happen?

I read they were going after an ex-nfl head coach named O’brein ? Supposed to be interviewing this week.

I read they were going after an ex-nfl head coach named O’brein ? Supposed to be interviewing this week.
Bill O'Brien was the coach who replaced Paterno at Penn State and bailed to the NFL after 2-3 years, Texans maybe? Another Saban reclamation project...the guy's amazing.

Reactions: yoshukai
There is almost no comparison is LSU '20 and Bama '21. They both may lose alot of players but Bama has the best recruiting class almost every year. They have several really Good RBs. The top rated QB from the '20 class. They have the best class ever coming in this year to go with a ton other great players. They may not be as good but they won't drop like LSU did.

I wish I knew how Smith was getting so dang open down the field. The TD plays were nifty but for the most part he was running wide open...How does that happen?
Line him up in a 40 yd dash with any & all UK WR's & you'll see.

Line him up in a 40 yd dash with any & all UK WR's & you'll see.
I mean that's cool comparing him to UK's WRs but he's been doing that against future NFL talent all year. His route running and fakes are why I think he's going to be a star at the next level, and his speed.

ADVERTISEMENT