ADVERTISEMENT

DEVIN ASKEW - Spalding HoopHall Classic (Jan 2020)

UKPhilly

Junior
Jan 19, 2005
(Jan 2020) – DEVIN ASKEW – Mater Dei H. S. (Santa Ana, CA) – 2020 Spalding HoopHall Classic. 2021 class, but re-classified to 2020. 6’3”; 195 lbs; PG; Ranked #25, 5-star by 247Sports. Committed to UK. Lost 73-72 to Bishop O’Connell H. S. (Arlington, VA) which competes in the strong DC area with numerous competitive teams and is coached by Joe Wooten, son of Hall of Fame former coach of DeMatha Catholic H. S., Morgan Wooten. Calipari was in attendance at this game as Askew went at it with 6’0” sophomore Paul Lewis, who had a 30 point breakout game. (247Sports doesn’t even have Lewis listed in the top 18 2022 players.) Devin finished with 20 points, connecting on 6-15 FG’s, including 1-4 3’s, along with 7-8 FT, 7 Rebs, 3 TO’’s, 3 steals, and an impressive 9 assists. I have heard from some people close to the game that Devin is a pass-first PG, however he can, and will, shoot. He is definitely a facilitator, passes off the dribble, and really sees the court. That will really come to the front when he is surrounded with better athletes next year. Askew showed physical, slashing drives and a nice Euro step. His shooting was so-so, but since this is the only time I have seen him play, maybe he usually shoots better, or maybe that will be an area he can improve. One thing I saw that I did not like is that after the game, the HoopHall staff take team photos at center court of each team and then present an award for MOP of each team. Askew didn’t seem to want to stay for the photo, or maybe was not aware of it. After the photo, he started walking away even though they were announcing the MOP for his team (which he won). I just didn’t like the way he sulked after a close loss. He won’t have that opportunity next year in Lexington.

ADVERTISEMENT