ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive Unit Rankings

Sparkaces1

Senior
Sep 19, 2012
So I haven't looked at any preseason magazines yet and was wondering what most people are rating UK's Secondary, Linebackers and DLine both in the SEC and nationally?

So I haven't looked at any preseason magazines yet and was wondering what most people are rating UK's Secondary, Linebackers and DLine both in the SEC and nationally?
I glanced at Athlon while at Walmart. They gave us very little respect on either side of the ball.

I am still aggravated that the SEC media basically locked UK out. I understand the need to beat the big three(Ga,Tenn,UF) but 17 returning starters. But the biggest complaint is the total lack of respect for the O line.
Only P5 school with 2 I say two 1000 yard rushers and the entire 2 deep back except 1. And, and the leading Defensive returning SEC stopper did not even get a mention. Really! I know I am ranting in vain but it is hopeful after what I think is going to be a very fine season the deserving UK players will get the recognition they deserve! JC

Sounds like a question for Phil Steele! [laughing]

Every year he ranks his projected "top units". I have no idea what his selection process is but I guess it is safe to assume it is vested heavily in the same performance driven criteria that he uses for just about everything. Anyway...

Defensive Line: 54 ranked units; UK unranked (11 SEC teams in top 54)
Linebackers: 50 ranked units; UK #22 (4 SEC teams ranked higher)
Defensive Backs: 51 ranked units; UK #27 (6 SEC teams ranked higher)

Peace

Every year he ranks his projected "top units". I have no idea what his selection process is but I guess it is safe to assume it is vested heavily in the same performance driven criteria that he uses for just about everything. Anyway...

Peace
Thats about what I expected. I just really hope the Dline is at least in the middle of the pack in the SEC.

Reactions: EastLansingCat

Peace

Thanks for the info.

I think defensive stats can be a little misleading. For example when you see guys have a ton of tackles that tells me that they could not get off the field and are forced to rack up the tackles.

Reactions: Bank Cat
I think defensive stats can be a little misleading. For example when you see guys have a ton of tackles that tells me that they could not get off the field and are forced to rack up the tackles.
True on # of tackles. But yards per play & game are real to me.

Reactions: kritikalcat
All of us know that any ranking of UK is based upon our history. We have to show and prove what we are. There will not be an ounce of respect until we do.

Thats very accurate 2-3 years back when we had 3rd and Grantham as our DC we had the number 1 and 4 tacklers in the SEC, because they had about 150 more chances than anyone else. The majority of them 5-7 yards downfield.

I suspect that's one position higher than you have us. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Actually I've said on here lasts years class was a step in the right direction, you may have missed that. But yes I think there is a long way to go and apparently Steele agrees with me. I would note that I think Steele is way off on what he thinks of our OL though. So like all predictions, nothing to get bent out of shape about. Never tried to be the Picasso of whimsy---- just call it like I see it.

Reactions: The-Hack
Actually I've said on here lasts years class was a step in the right direction, you may have missed that. But yes I think there is a long way to go and apparently Steele agrees with me. I would note that I think Steele is way off on what he thinks of our OL though. So like all predictions, nothing to get bent out of shape about. Never tried to be the Picasso of whimsy---- just call it like I see it.

Just playin' witcha

200.gif

I am still aggravated that the SEC media basically locked UK out. I understand the need to beat the big three(Ga,Tenn,UF) but 17 returning starters. But the biggest complaint is the total lack of respect for the O line.
Only P5 school with 2 I say two 1000 yard rushers and the entire 2 deep back except 1. And, and the leading Defensive returning SEC stopper did not even get a mention. Really! I know I am ranting in vain but it is hopeful after what I think is going to be a very fine season the deserving UK players will get the recognition they deserve! JC
Keep in mind sports writers of today were very likely home and garden, restaurant reviewers or never heard of journalism school. Therefore, it is easier to make a safe conservative, inoffensive choice in rankings as a "sports writer." When the season is over and U.K. succeeds, they are the first ones to state they knew we would win and were for us all the way.

Is there a defensive ranking from last year that gives weight to a team's strength of schedule?
I don't believe I have ever seen anything that links "performance" to SOS.

UK was #19 in YPR and played (according to Steele) the #62 SOS. But, in looking at that stat, how good were the defenses UK faced (i.e., YPR allowed) and how did that affect their YPR? To that end, I tried to develop some simple algorithms that "corrected" a specific performance stat based upon your opponents "counter" stat.

I won't bore you with details but it took wayyy to much individual team data entry to the spreadsheet. And you really had to see the "corrected data" for ALL teams to understand what the corrected stat for your team actually meant. Nonetheless, the output would have been "competition adjusted statistics". Hell, I'm already making my head hurt! o_O

Peace

Last edited:
Is there a defensive ranking from last year that gives weight to a team's strength of schedule?
I don't believe I have ever seen anything that links "performance" to SOS.

UK was #19 in YPR and played (according to Steele) the #62 SOS. But, in looking at that stat, how good were the defenses UK faced (i.e., YPR allowed) and how did that affect their YPR? To that end, I tried to develop some simple algorithms that "corrected" a specific performance stat vs. your opponents "counter" stat.

I won't bore you with details but it took wayyy to much individual data entry to the spreadsheet, especially since you really had to see the "corrected data" for ALL teams to understand what the corrected stat for your team actually meant. Hell, I'm already making my head hurt! o_O

Peace
Perhaps we would all be better served to allow the defensive line (painfully young and inexperienced last year) who are now veterans (plus a hopefully leaner, meaner Matt Elam) to do their work. Our linebackers, corners and. safeties are among the best in the SEC. I think it's time to exhale...... We'll be fine on defense.

Keep in mind sports writers of today were very likely home and garden, restaurant reviewers or never heard of journalism school. Therefore, it is easier to make a safe conservative, inoffensive choice in rankings as a "sports writer." When the season is over and U.K. succeeds, they are the first ones to state they knew we would win and were for us all the way.
So to give props when props are due---Phil Steele predicted our OL last year to be the 6th best in the SEC --- who saw that coming? Like I said above nobody has any guarantees about the future but if our DL finishes midway in the SEC I would be ecstatic and think we would be very much in contention to win the east. In any case I'm certainly not going to change my opinion to please another fan and I come here to talk about Kentucky football.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
I expect pringle to keep improving,and have a solid year at NT.
Middleton,carter, IMO will both have above average (UK) seasons.
Looney and k daniel are the wildcard who could really suprise.

If our dline can be just solid, our LB will cause havoc for a lot of offenses.
Jones,Allen,Ware ect are the best lb core i remember going back to early 2000.

P.S. I remember woodyard, D.T.. But never the talented depth that i see now!
Its all on the Dline on how much our Def imoroves.
But i would rather be us then ul.
They lost a lot on there Def front 7!

So to give props when props are due---Phil Steele predicted our OL last year to be the 6th best in the SEC --- who saw that coming? Like I said above nobody has any guarantees about the future but if our DL finishes midway in the SEC I would be ecstatic and think we would be very much in contention to win the east. In any case I'm certainly not going to change my opinion to please another fan and I come here to talk about Kentucky football.
Phil Steele is a respected journalist.

So other than other than Pringle and Elam (wildcard), is there a Freshman or Juco that can make an impact? Hopefully there is a diamond in the rough that we have that is underrated like Jones and Allen were.

There was supposed to be in Hoskins, but he won't be ready until ~week 4, which means he isn't getting a lot better right now, which isn't typically a good sign for a D-lineman.

After watching most of the games from last year, I think that Alvonte Bell had some good plays and would have been a very nice piece to the depth chart. Losing him hurt.

Reactions: mattrudd
So other than other than Pringle and Elam (wildcard), is there a Freshman or Juco that can make an impact? Hopefully there is a diamond in the rough that we have that is underrated like Jones and Allen were.

RSFr DT Kordell Looney showed some flashes in the spring. Last Friday VM was talking up big RSSo Calvin Taylor but I have my reservations about him. Ja'quize Cross is another RSFr DT that has some size and ability. Any of the four true Frosh Bohannan, Paschal, Abule-Abadi and Whittaker could work their way into the rotation as well.

Our numbers are much better than the have been recently.

I'd forgotten Looney. He was a man in the Spring Game. He seemed so mobile (Ok, and agile and hostile, too). RV, how many DTs do we have, counting the youngsters?

RSFr DT Kordell Looney showed some flashes in the spring. Last Friday VM was talking up big RSSo Calvin Taylor but I have my reservations about him. Ja'quize Cross is another RSFr DT that has some size and ability. Any of the four true Frosh Bohannan, Paschal, Abule-Abadi and Whittaker could work their way into the rotation as well.

Our numbers are much better than the have been recently.

What is Taylor, 6' 9"? Could be useful in pass rushes if not full time, and if not there in blocking FGAs.

I doubt if Paschal redshirts.

Last edited:
I mean one thing that is being overlooked is we are very good at DE, Linebacker and Secondary. It's not like the D Line has to be great just average. Has there been any mention of Elam in the last couple of months by the coaches?

...RV, how many DTs do we have, counting the youngsters?

77 Naquez Pringle
69 Matt Elam
98 Tymere Dubose
36 Jacob Hyde
95 Quinton Bohanna
99 Adrian Middleton
59 Kordell Looney
92 Phil Hoskins
93 Ja'Quize Cross
90 T.J. Carter
60 Calvin Taylor
96 Abule Abadi-Fitzgerald
94 Chris Whittaker
20 Kengera Daniel

14 counting the incoming kids

Reactions: LeWiz and The-Hack

Well, the depth chart is always an outline but not the Bible.

All the Nose guys are DT's and play a 0 or 1 technique.
The DT and DE spot both play a 3 or 4 tech (sometimes 5) and many times they have replaced each other when depth got low.
In our 4-down look in the nickel we take our DE guys like Kengera now and like Miggins, Huegenin and others previously and place them in the 3-4 tech DT spot for pass rush and the actual DT moves in to nose so yes all the guys listed either will or can be called on to play DT.

Well, the depth chart is always an outline but not the Bible.

All the Nose guys are DT's and play a 0 or 1 technique.
The DT and DE spot both play a 3 or 4 tech (sometimes 5) and many times they have replaced each other when depth got low.
In our 4-down look in the nickel we take our DE guys like Kengera now and like Miggins, Huegenin and others previously and place them in the 3-4 tech DT spot for pass rush and the actual DT moves in to nose so yes all the guys listed either will or can be called on to play DT.
While not to the topic of the thread that is a damn good post. It makes 2 very good points about DL play that are often overlooked or misunderstood by many fans. I wanted to give you a shout out for succinctly making a point I have often made but not nearly as well.

ANY DL who lines up inside a 5 technique IS a de facto DT. So a 3 man front is most often a 3 DT defense and a 4 man front is most often a 2 DT defense. In the big picture 3 down teams "need" more DTs than 4 down teams.

And on sure fire passing downs, many teams substitute smaller quicker "DTs" (usually DEs or big LB types) at DT positions to quicken the pass rush.

Peace

Reactions: Deeeefense
All I know is that on the roster and on the depth chart they are listed as DE. The NT's and the DT's are listed as what they actually are also. I understand your gap talk but I still think telling someone we have 14 DT's on the roster is misleading to say the least. To me it sounds more like verbal camouflage. It's no different than calling Benny Snell and Jojo Kemp our QB's. Word salad!

LOL I've never lent credence to people's opinion when they try to use politics to make a point about football.

Thanks, RV. We have some bodies who might surprise.

There were many years in this program, when we had 6 to 8 bodies stretched across the defensive line, by whatever position name they were called.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT