ADVERTISEMENT

Decourcy(TSN) ranks Cats #1; Can be great w/ Oscar & no Sharpe

The Sporting News’ Mike DeCourcy has Kentucky in the No. 1 spot. ESPN has Arkansas No. 1 in its early rankings with Kentucky at No. 7. The 247Sports rankings have Arkansas No. 1 with Kentucky No. 2 — the same prediction that Sports Illustrated has. CBS Sports has John Calipari’s team No. 3 behind UCLA and North Carolina.

“Having Oscar is the difference between Kentucky being preseason No. 1 and a team that will still be very, very good,” DeCourcy said. “With Oscar in the lineup, Kentucky is as good a pick as anyone to win the national championship with what we know about rosters now.”

“There are a lot of unknowns,” DeCourcy said. “If you put Oscar with Sahvir, you have your point guard-post intact for next season. You have young wings (Cason Wallace, Chris Livingston) coming in. Daimion Collins says he is coming back. There is a lot of opportunity there to field a terrific team.”

“What was missing last year for Kentucky were great wings, guys who can guard on the perimeter and also shoot and make shots. (National champion) Kansas has two NBA wings. Kentucky had no one like they did. Next year’s group is supposed to be better and add Oscar to that and Kentucky will not miss a beat. I think they will be good next year even if Oscar is not back, but Kentucky has a chance to be great if Oscar is in the middle.”
He spends a lot of time writing about elite wing players being the difference last year.

We had one. Cal and the kid thought it would be in his best interest to never play even a second of game time. That cost us a real shot at the title.

It was an unforgivable move if he ends up leaving this summer.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
The same Cal who is in the hall of Fame? What have you accomplished in basketball again? I mean are we ever going to be able to discuss basketball again without asses highjacking the conversation. Yes I'm talking about you
Asses hijacking the conversation?Apparently you are in denial. It is a valid point. I have zero faith in Cal going forward and will not hesitate to emphasize it. Past success is not necessarily an indication of future success. If you can't see the writing on the wall you need help.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Asses hijacking the conversation?Apparently you are in denial. It is a valid point. I have zero faith in Cal going forward and will not hesitate to emphasize it. Past success is not necessarily an indication of future success. If you can't see the writing on the wall you need help.
I didn't say one way or the other. I have said that he needs a good season and deep run coming up. That's now what I was talking about. Every, single, solitary, conversation turns to a Cal whine fest. I know, we aren't happy, things need to change. can we talk about recruiting, the portal. anything without having to hear, it doesn't matter if Anthony Davis comes here, Cal is still the coach. We may as well close the program down. Just let there be conversations without hijacking. We know, you aren't happy with Ca, I am not happy, but my goodness can we not have a discussion without that

Reactions: jauk11 and kl40504
You need more help.

Depends on what he means by wings. I highly doubt Wallace & Livingston will be a better 2-3 combo than TyTy & Grady. At least, offensively. Wallace might be solid on the perimeter but Livingston is a work in progress. He’s more of a MKG type of 3 who will look to attack the basket, but, probably wont be a huge help from 3. If SW is starting at PG, we’re gonna need 3 reliable shooters on the floor most of the time or next year will end much like this season did. If he can stay healthy, Fredrick will be a ton of help. Assuming Cal will play him.

Personally, I’d love to see an upgrade at PG from the portal. A good shooting PG completely changes the dynamic & would make it easier to have 3 shooters on the floor while still playing Toppin, Collins or Livingston at the 4. I would also like to add a good shooting wing from the portal after Sharpe announces that he’s staying in the draft. If we don’t add a cpl more consistent shooters I just can’t see next season being much different than this one. Especially, if SW is getting 30+ mpg.
Hoe about a healthy Wallace and Livingston being better than an injured Tyty and Grady?

ADVERTISEMENT