HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
This might happen...

DeCourcy: Calipari might use three point guards to close out games

Ashton-Hagans-2-300x208.jpg

Ashton Hagans (Chet White/UK Athletics Photo)
By LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky freshman guard Ashton Hagans is an intriguing prospect for coach John Calipari this season because he reclassified to get into the 2018 recruiting class and he also has plenty of competition from Quade Green and Immanuel Quickley for playing time.

“Ashton did not rush to get to college to sit on the bench,” said Sporting News college basketball columnist Mike DeCourcy. “He gives them a big presence in the backcourt. Immanuel is tall and lean and is very quick. He’s listed at 6-3 and is close to that. You just don’t see him as being 6-3 because he moves so quickly and darts around the court.

“But how many teams are going to have three high level, five-star point guards on the team. With the way basketball is now, the more guys you have that can attack the better off you are.”

DeCourcy could envision Calipari playing all three together to close out games.

“If they can all make free throws under pressure like I think they can and John (Calipari) feels really good about that, having those three and the versatility it brings is really going to be a huge asset late in games,” DeCourcy said

AlohaCat

Reactions: JC43
IMHO, I think it all depends upon the type of closeout needed:
1) high scoring running game you need Herro, Quade and Quickley with PJ and KJ
2) defensive struggle you want Ashton, Quade, KJ, Richards and PJ
3) brute force you want Ashton, Quickley, Travis, PJ and KJ
4) small ball you want Ashton, Quade, KJ, Herro and PJ

(these are all purely subjective and will change throughout the season)

I haven't even included EJM yet as he may factor in at least #1 & 2.

I believe Herro is 100% from the stripe during the trip. Dude will obviously be on the floor late.
Richards performance from the stripe is comforting to say the least, Travis is reasonably good and all the guards plus Johnson seem better than 75% shooters. Herro looks like Macy. Did you notice that when KY got technicals the other players didn't even blink about going to the line. They watched as Herro sank every single one. It was like the GSW when they get a technical. Curry immediately heads for the stripe. The players know who is the best shooter.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
I would think

Two PG, SG, SF, and which ever big is playing well.

Put Hagan in on defensive side.

ADVERTISEMENT