ADVERTISEMENT

December 10 is the 40th Anniversary of Coach Rupp's Death

2Adulterers

Senior
Aug 11, 2015
He was hard to play for,he got under your skin,There was only one way HIS WAYHe was a genius and would have been successful in any field
Thanks for all you did for me. REST IN PEACE

Sounds like a good idea there is one of Joe B Hall
It is long over due and should have been done when he retired. Most great coaches have been honored in that manner but Kentucky seems to want to forget about Coach Rupp rather than honor him. Rupp Arena is not a UK structure. So what on the UK campus has UK done to honor the greatest coach in their history, a man who built the program. I think they may have a road marker at Memorial. Maybe. It is a disgrace and I know Herky Rupp died very disappointed in how they treated his father

It is long over due and should have been done when he retired. Most great coaches have been honored in that manner but Kentucky seems to want to forget about Coach Rupp rather than honor him. Rupp Arena is not a UK structure. So what on the UK campus has UK done to honor the greatest coach in their history, a man who built the program. I think they may have a road marker at Memorial. Maybe. It is a disgrace and I know Herky Rupp died very disappointed in how they treated his father
Agree 100%

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
It was a saturday, cold as hell, and joe b took the boys to lawrence to kick the gayhawks ass.
Bittersweet day for sure.
My first child born that day too.

Let’s not forget what today is also. gba and gbb.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

Absolutely, he should be honored for all he did for the university and the basketball program. He is the one who put UK on the college basketball map and there is very little to honor him on campus other than a little outdated plaque that stands outside Memorial Coliseum, that's it. Think of all the honors other coaches have received at other universities around the nation and Rupp has almost nothing to be honored by UK. It's a travesty. Bear Bryant has an entire museum on campus to honor him and the Bama program, UK could do something to honor our greatest coach and one of the greatest ever in college basketball.

Shit, the University of Kentucky couldn't be bothered to have any sort of simple ceremony recognizing Rupp's most famous and popular team so no way in hell would they put up a statue of the man.

He was hard to play for,he got under your skin,There was only one way HIS WAYHe was a genius and would have been successful in any field
Thanks for all you did for me. REST IN PEACE
What an honor....I have heard he was a real piece of work but the best at what he did. I am 63 and I loved hearing him on post game show with Cawood. He was never satisfied.

RIP Coach Rupp. BBN would not exist without you existing. Loved watching him coach. My first time to see the cats play in person was 1968. I can still remember how awe-struck I was the first time I seen the man. He was wearing that brown suit and looked like a giant to me. I was 12 years old at the time. The starting players in that game for Kentucky was Dan Issel, Mike Casey, Mike Pratt, Phil Argento and Larry Steel. Now if I could remember who they were playing... Oh well guess it doesn't matter.

Have great memories of going to Bluegrass airport to welcome the team back after NCAA wins. Saw Rupp and many great players during those times - Cotton Nash was the one I remember. I was a wee child at the time:sunglasses:....

As a long time fan I have always wondered why the university didn't do more to honor Coach Rupp.He did fight retirement and I'm sure there were ill feelings on both sides of that issue,however anyone who had a problem with that is long gone from the school. One would have to think it has to do with the media created perception of racial issues.Coach Rupp was likely less of a racist than most of his age in the time period of the late 50's to early 70's

I think Coach Rupp and UK have suffered unjustly because of the NCAA finals in 1966.The Southeastern Conference has much more reason to be ashamed than does Rupp or UK

How different the times were in Coach Rupp's final few years at UK,I remember them well.In some ways it would be good to relive those times but in many other ways no one would want to return to those times.

Rupp promised he would coach elsewhere if UK forced him out. His health was poor and not up to the task he had several offers Duke being one

Was living in California at the time. Remember standing out in the backyard in Rancho Palos Verdes trying to pick up WHAS. It was one of those rare nights I picked it up. They announced during the broadcast that Coach Rupp had passed. Sad news at the time.

Rupp promised he would coach elsewhere if UK forced him out. His health was poor and not up to the task he had several offers Duke being one
That was part of what I was referring to,but it is long past the time for that to matter to anyone,hell we old timers here are probably some of the very few who even know that and we are way to busy accepting mediocrity and holding the football team back to care about it.

Wasn't Rupp also offered a job with a professional ABA basketball franchise, the Memphis TAMS. General Manager or President, something like that?

As a long time fan I have always wondered why the university didn't do more to honor Coach Rupp.He did fight retirement and I'm sure there were ill feelings on both sides of that issue,however anyone who had a problem with that is long gone from the school. One would have to think it has to do with the media created perception of racial issues.Coach Rupp was likely less of a racist than most of his age in the time period of the late 50's to early 70's

I think Coach Rupp and UK have suffered unjustly because of the NCAA finals in 1966.The Southeastern Conference has much more reason to be ashamed than does Rupp or UK

How different the times were in Coach Rupp's final few years at UK,I remember them well.In some ways it would be good to relive those times but in many other ways no one would want to return to those times.
I can not understand nor can I accept that of all the schools in the SEC, Kentucky was singled out over racial issues. UK was the first university in the SEC to have black students. They were admitted prior to Brown v Education. Kentucky never refused to play an opponent because they had black players. They were welcome to play in Memorial Coliseum. We had the first black SEC football player. Tom Payne was recruited and signed by Rupp. Rupp had tried to sign black players before we even played Texas Western in 1966. Beard and Unseld may have been playing in that game if the they had agreed to accept a UK scholarship that was offered by Coach Rupp. Kentucky was actually the trail blazer for race relations in the SEC but for some reason we are looked at as the one school that drug their feet. Nothing could be further from the truth. But often untruths are repeated and repeated and become "facts".

I can not understand nor can I accept that of all the schools in the SEC, Kentucky was singled out over racial issues. UK was the first university in the SEC to have black students. They were admitted prior to Brown v Education. Kentucky never refused to play an opponent because they had black players. They were welcome to play in Memorial Coliseum. We had the first black SEC football player. Tom Payne was recruited and signed by Rupp. Rupp had tried to sign black players before we even played Texas Western in 1966. Beard and Unseld may have been playing in that game if the they had agreed to accept a UK scholarship that was offered by Coach Rupp. Kentucky was actually the trail blazer for race relations in the SEC but for some reason we are looked at as the one school that drug their feet. Nothing could be further from the truth. But often untruths are repeated and repeated and become "facts".
Those were my thoughts as well,I'm glad you put them in a post for everyone to read.I have no way to know but I think part of Coach Rupp's thought process was that when he signed a black player that player(s) would have to endure hardships and unreasonable treatment going to Mississippi, Alabama and other parts of the South for games. I believe there are references to this in various books about Rupp. The 1966 game served as an event that the media could focus on to draw attention to the racial issue of the time.(and revise history or their account of it) I remember watching the game and the racial make up of the teams didn't matter,it wasn't an issue I just wanted UK to win the game. since then I have wondered if it would have been better to lose the game to Duke in the semi finals but to this day I' m glad we didn't because we got a chance to play for the National Championship(if we had been a bit more healthy perhaps things would have turned out differently)Maybe history wouldn't have turned it into how it is perceived now if we had won.

ADVERTISEMENT