ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Clark

Do we now have a 3 way race? Sounds like Mr. Clark has decided to insert himself into the conversation. :raised_hands:
Even if against the 2s (and without knowing any details) a rather impressive QB "performance". QB is not like other positions. Actual game like repetitions are probably more important to this position than any other position. I do not mean to disparage anyone but I am not sure a "true and competitive" 3 man QB race in the spring actually helps the staff. JMO

Peace

Even if against the 2s (and without knowing any details) a rather impressive QB "performance". QB is not like other positions. Actual game like repetitions are probably more important to this position than any other position. I do not mean to disparage anyone but I am not sure a "true and competitive" 3 man QB race in the spring actually helps the staff. JMO

Peace

I understand your point, but with 3 QBs who have never taken a snap in the SEC, I don't think it's bad to have a "true and competitive" 3 man race at this point...

Now, if the coaches are still saying this after the spring game (and even moreso by August), I will agree 100% that is a problem.

Peace
I can agree with this. But it's different if the 3rd man has been included in the race just because he's doing the same as the others (lets say two TD's out of six kind of thing) but if a guy is suddenly putting up consistently better numbers than the others then it can be a good thing to have the 3rd option getting more reps.

Could he be in the mix for some wildcat/gimmick plays? I'd love to see that. Once or twice a game on second down, get the defense confused, make them prepare for it.

Reactions: Smashcat
if the past is an indicator.... performance during Fridays scrimmage isn't going to tell us much... someone gets the job based on their body of work and ability to execute, (per OC vision) the offense. i wouldn't expect to see much more than basic stuff and because of all that think the job is up for grabs till fall practice.... it's been UK's SOP.

Hinshaw said he scored 5 touchdowns in 6 drives....

Wow.

Not exactly. Hinshaw said "Clark has been getting better and better" and noted that he’s led 6 drives in scrimmages, scored points on 5 of them.

That "could' mean 5 TDs but it more likely means some combination of TDs and FGs, perhaps even all FGs.

Last edited:
It will come down ultimately to who gives UK the best chance to win, the only one I have seen play is Hoak and that was in the spring game last year, and to me he looked good. With the defense UK will put on the field this year and the rushing attack UK will have, I think the QB will be whoever they feel can take care of the ball best. My reasoning for this is UK should field one of the better defenses in the SEC and teams will have difficulty driving the length of the field against them consistently, reducing turnovers would mean consistently longer fields. Its a formula that has won lots of ballgames.

Peace
That's a pretty solid point, but it's really better than a couple years ago when it was one guy and a JC late sign named Johnson.

It will come down ultimately to who gives UK the best chance to win, the only one I have seen play is Hoak and that was in the spring game last year, and to me he looked good. With the defense UK will put on the field this year and the rushing attack UK will have, I think the QB will be whoever they feel can take care of the ball best. My reasoning for this is UK should field one of the better defenses in the SEC and teams will have difficulty driving the length of the field against them consistently, reducing turnovers would mean consistently longer fields. Its a formula that has won lots of ballgames.

Again - Hinshaw didn't say 5 TD's, he said 5 scores and the vid is on HOB. Now a score 'might' mean TD but it also 'might' mean FG. This is how rumors get started that turn into perceived reality.

Again - Hinshaw didn't say 5 TD's, he said 5 scores and the vid is on HOB. Now a score 'might' mean TD but it also 'might' mean FG. This is how rumors get started that turn into perceived reality.

Yup. But, Hinshaw made the comment for a reason. To encourage Danny? To send a message? And, it was clearly intended to demonstrate a good thing. Six trips, five scores. That is producing. It’s good news.

Agree with ya CC, politics never end :beer:

So, you have a law degree, when are you running for office? How about against the golden boy, I like your football knowledge better than his.

Don't get too high though, not sure how much of a compliment that is.

Yup. But, Hinshaw made the comment for a reason. To encourage Danny? To send a message? And, it was clearly intended to demonstrate a good thing. Six trips, five scores. That is producing. It’s good news.

The comment was made when specifically asked about Clark. Not my intention to downplay it/him with my previous comments.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
So, you have a law degree, when are you running for office? How about against the golden boy, I like your football knowledge better than his.

Don't get too high though, not sure how much of a compliment that is.

11 at this time, I have no comment regarding my intentions for public office. Any further questions need to be directed to 86 my campaign manager :cheers2:

Reactions: jauk11
Dude was a 4 star quarterback that was commited to Ohio State. I'd assume he has to be the front runner to start. I mean the guy came to Kentucky because he thought he could get minutes. Stoops better hold to his word.

Dude was a 4 star quarterback that was commited to Ohio State. I'd assume he has to be the front runner to start. I mean the guy came to Kentucky because he thought he could get minutes. Stoops better hold to his word.

What? Hold his word? Do you think he promised Clark snaps? You think every 4 star should be starting?

Well that is an interesting development. Against the 1s? That would be potentially game-changing.
It isn’t game changing. But it is progress. I am a big fan of Danny Clark’s skill set and upside. By inclination, Eddie Gran will probably want to go with an older, more experienced starting quarterback with the shorter learning curve. Gran wants to minimize the possibility of mistakes. Darin Hinshaw knows that Clark has more rough edges to iron out than Hoak. But Clark also has more upside, and he is a natural leader. If they were to commit to Clark and work with him, I think that could end up being a breakthrough decision. But it will take more than 1 good scrimmage.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
At one time in some rating services he was 4*...he was a steady high 3* in most ratings and where he ended up. (I'll bet he got an initial inflated rating due to just verbal with Ohio St).

Danny is a solid QB pickup in the year that Mac Jones bailed on us. I like the fact he can run with his feet better than many QBs and is a big kid to boot. I can see him being a first down chain mover in time. But he looked pretty rough throwing the ball in drills and hopefully some of that rust has knocked off this past year.

At one time in some rating services he was 4*...he was a steady high 3* in most ratings and where he ended up. (I'll bet he got an initial inflated rating due to just verbal with Ohio St).

Danny is a solid QB pickup in the year that Mac Jones bailed on us. I like the fact he can run with his feet better than many QBs and is a big kid to boot. I can see him being a first down chain mover in time. But he looked pretty rough throwing the ball in drills and hopefully some of that rust has knocked off this past year.
Remember former OSU QB Steve Bellisari? That's who Clark reminds me of. Bellisari was a lefty, good athlete with size and strength but who really struggled throwing. I hope UK can find a niche for Clark.

---
Every time I think I've read the dumbest thing possible on this forum, along comes a new contender.

Spica Orbit

ADVERTISEMENT