ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Mullen

BLUEDOUG46

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 4, 2012
A buddy of mine threw a name up as an Offensive Coordinator IF Coach Scang is let go. Dan Mullen. What are your all's thoughts on that. This guy can move the football on anybody. He failed at Florida but it was off field and recruiting that he failed in more than it was his coaching. I would think after a couple years in the announcer booth he would be itching to get back in the game again. He is fairly young and probably waiting to get another D1 JOB. The perfect way to start is running a successful SEC Offense again. Personally I think he is an arrogant, smug human.. BUT we dont have to eat lunch with him just cheer on his teams. His name is still well known enough that he would be able to attract a good QB in the portal. I think this would be a very good hire if not a home run.. thoughts?

A buddy of mine threw a name up as an Offensive Coordinator IF Coach Scang is let go. Dan Mullen. What are your all's thoughts on that. This guy can move the football on anybody. He failed at Florida but it was off field and recruiting that he failed in more than it was his coaching. I would think after a couple years in the announcer booth he would be itching to get back in the game again. He is fairly young and probably waiting to get another D1 JOB. The perfect way to start is running a successful SEC Offense again. Personally I think he is an arrogant, smug human.. BUT we dont have to eat lunch with him just cheer on his teams. His name is still well known enough that he would be able to attract a good QB in the portal. I think this would be a very good hire if not a home run.. thoughts?
No

Reactions: catben
Hard to get along with, not a players coach like most of the asst’s Stoops likes, horrible recruiter which to me is his biggest negative.

It would be better than where we are now if he's here for a few years. I don't care if he's smug. I would like to have a better recruiter, but I think a better offense recruits for you at this point.

It would be better than where we are now if he's here for a few years. I don't care if he's smug. I would like to have a better recruiter, but I think a better offense recruits for you at this point.
The OC needs to be a stud play caller. Recruiting is 2nd tier there. We need to part with Settle and Stewart and replace them with stud recruiters.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
His last year at Florida. 49th ranked offense overall. 30.7 pts a game average. 254 passing, 209 rushing, and 464 average yards per game. Pair that with our defense and let's win a lot of games.

He isn't my favorite choice for OC, but we could do a lot worse for sure.

Don't see how he'd be a good fit. Big ego and having to take a back seat to Stoops? Don't see it. Add in his lack of recruiting and his system is not really a 'pro' system like Stoops wants to run - too much designed QB run. He's been effective, of course, but I don't think he's the right guy for the job if Scang is moving on.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
How has Settle failed in recruiting? I don't see it.
Reality is what it is....
1. He coaches a spot at RB that isn't exactly the most pressing technical spot on the team...so not a huge teacher is needed at RB compared to Oline, WR coaches.
2. Most schools have a stud recruiter at RB coach....and Settle apparently does little no recruiting. He walked into CROd for 2 years and hasn't exactly recruited a replacement or groomed a young kid for the next 2 years.

So I think he is almost as obvious to be replaced as Yenser should be. And the guy who took the job before Settle (nad left in like 2 weeks) was going to be a RB adn special teams coach. So I think this is a spot Stoops is going to make a change to help the team.

As OC--I would give him a hard look. . He can be our "QB whisperer" a la Dak Prescott to attract top shelf signal callers, plus he calls a good offensive game. We would definitely be more dynamic if he is calling plays.

As HC--no way. Did some super clown activity as UF coach. Wife kissed all the players on the lips as they get off the bus (on video)....darth Vader mask at a press conference after a fight on the field at Mizzou.....really odd at handling press and donors.

GBB!

Reactions: Girthang
As OC--I would give him a hard look. . He can be our "QB whisperer" a la Dak Prescott to attract top shelf signal callers, plus he calls a good offensive game. We would definitely be more dynamic if he is calling plays.

As HC--no way. Did some super clown activity as UF coach. Wife kissed all the players on the lips as they get off the bus (on video)....darth Vader mask at a press conference after a fight on the field at Mizzou.....really odd at handling press and donors.

GBB!
He is an odd nut for sure... but the guy can call offensive plays and we just need him for a year or two..

He would never settle for second fiddle under Stoops. He’s probably still thinking “How did I ever lose to that guy?”

Don't see how he'd be a good fit. Big ego and having to take a back seat to Stoops? Don't see it. Add in his lack of recruiting and his system is not really a 'pro' system like Stoops wants to run - too much designed QB run. He's been effective, of course, but I don't think he's the right guy for the job if Scang is moving on.
He has Marty Feldman eyes.

He would never settle for second fiddle under Stoops. He’s probably still thinking “How did I ever lose to that guy?”

I don't think he'd let Stoops dictate tempo and aggressiveness, which is what I want my OC to fight for. He's got enough clout that Stoops wouldn't have as much control of that side, but that also may be why he wouldn't hire him....

I think he appreciates what DM brings to the table though. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'd want him as OC. Problem is that Stoops doesn't change direction quickly enough sometimes and this may be one of those times he doesn't get a new OC.

I don't think he'd let Stoops dictate tempo and aggressiveness, which is what I want my OC to fight for. He's got enough clout that Stoops wouldn't have as much control of that side, but that also may be why he wouldn't hire him....

I think he appreciates what DM brings to the table though. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that he'd want him as OC. Problem is that Stoops doesn't change direction quickly enough sometimes and this may be one of those times he doesn't get a new OC.
I would like him as OC but I don’t think he would ever be under Stoops

Can't have two roosters in the same henhouse!

Mullen's $12 million buyout will be spread over seven installments, with a $6 million payout coming within 30 days. Mullen will then get $1 million every July 15 through 2027.

Talk about Christmas 2x/year in the Mullen household.

I don't think he'll be in any hurry to become a coordinator unless Bama shows a need of course. That's where all former HCs go to re-ignite their resume.

He wouldn't come here to serve under Stoops.

I am still not sure what happened at Florida. He is a good coach. Maybe he is just better suited at a smaller school with less pressure like MSU

ADVERTISEMENT