ADVERTISEMENT

Dakari & Willie just THROW IT AT THE BASKET!

brian.mikeson

Sophomore
Aug 30, 2014
...and continue to miss 1-footers.

Has been the case all season. Hasn't gotten us beat YET, because so good everywhere else.

Just try and DUNK every time, Willie. Please.

Well, if the defense collapses, a missed lay up often time turns into an offensive put back or trip to the foul line for UK. Sure, you gotta finish more but it's not all bad.

I know. Been missing those bunnies all year. Can't understand it. Missing FT's as well tonight. Lackluster effort so far. Hampton driving to the basket and getting some good looks.

OP is right. All year with the exception of Towns, the bigs just throw the ball at the basket if they aren't dunking. It literally doesn't even look like they are shooting. They are throwing it up there in hopes someone gets a rebound. It drives me crazy.

Originally posted by CatPhight:
Dunk it or use the glass.
Please. It's hard to watch WCS on Offence sometimes. DJ just needs to shoot and not think about it. Sometimes I think Lee needs more mins when WCS is watching the bugs fly around the lights.

A good shooting big man (two feet and out) is rare in today's game. So you just teach them to keep on banging the boards until it goes in the basket, goes out of bounds or some one gets fouled. That is the game in 2015. This is not your daddy's offensive game. That game died.

Stat padding, thats all.
roll.r191677.gif

Seriously though, its very frustrating to watch.

I wish they both had developed better post moves when the catch the ball but Cal has said many times that just putting it on the board is OK with him. He obviously thinks their offensive rebounding will result in a lot of baskets. It does make you wonder how much better they would be if their post game was better. Lee is a great athlete but has terrible hands. With that said they are 35-0 so I will stop complaining now.

GO CATS !!!!!!!!

Originally posted by caneintally:

Originally posted by KWilt43atbuzz:
35-0
LOL i know right . WCS offense has grown by leaps and bounds but people still bitch . LMAO is all i can say. It is near impossible to take Hampton seriously .
Honest to God, I can't understand that when someone follows a team and sees something of concern that MIGHT GET THEM BEAT LATER they are POUNDED for not realizing "well, it's not gotten us beat yet, yuk yuk yuk!"

As if to say we've already played the best teams we're going to play and have beaten them all, so--in the words of Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Neuman -- "what, me worry?"

Coaches (and concerned fans) always look at weaknesses that COULD get you beat down the road if not fixed. Why do some somehow think, "well, we've won 'em all to this point doing what we've done; that ought to be good enough."

UNLV come to mind anyone?

Originally posted by brian.mikeson:

Has been the case all season. Hasn't gotten us beat YET, because so good everywhere else.

I have been saying this all year. Willie loses "attention" during the moments he makes his move to "put back" the ball - except when he shoots a pure hook shot. When he shoots the hook you can see him eyeing the bucket and feel his effort in directing the ball toward the rim. But when he is just making a put back with opponents thrashing at the ball he doesn't look directly at the rim and throws "bricks" toward the backboard like in kind the infamous Rob Lock. Dakari did this several times last night also.

This is an attention span problem that can be corrected. When Willie is in "block" mode he is totally focused and the best in CBB. If and when he manages to get over his Brick shot era he will be one of the best big men in the business.

Originally posted by DDS62:

I have been saying this all year. Willie loses "attention" during the moments he makes his move to "put back" the ball - except when he shoots a pure hook shot. When he shoots the hook you can see him eyeing the bucket and feel his effort in directing the ball toward the rim. But when he is just making a put back with opponents thrashing at the ball he doesn't look directly at the rim and throws "bricks" toward the backboard like in kind the infamous Rob Lock. Dakari did this several times last night also.

This is an attention span problem that can be corrected. When Willie is in "block" mode he is totally focused and the best in CBB. If and when he manages to get over his Brick shot era he will be one of the best big men in the business.
Rob Locke...lol. Hey, I'm critical of Willie's shooting style, but he's NO Rob Locke!

I was thinking more LaVon Williams-esque.

It's upper body strength, particularly for Dakari. He's lost a lot of weight, and with that went mass. Right now, he's having a hard time getting the ball up for a shot without the defender altering his movement drastically because he doesn't have that same upper body weight to steady himself. It's like he's brining his arms and the ball up through sand, because defenders can just hang on them on the double and triple teams. So he winds up sort of throwing it at the basket to get his shot off.

Spend a year living in the weight room (not just cardio), and he becomes a different player in the paint.

Originally posted by OldBlueNuts:

Lob Rocke...lol. Hey, I'm critical of Willie's shooting style, but he's NO Rob Locke!

I was thinking more LaVon Williams-esque.
Fixed...
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Well, you just won MY internets for the day!

ADVERTISEMENT