ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Baseball NCAA projections...

Show math for Louisville being in as a 2 seed and UK being a “last five in” as a 3 seed. Does not compute.

Im gonna guess because they win more games...they had a better record down the stretch amd destroyed Vandy while we were swept

Show math for Louisville being in as a 2 seed and UK being a “last five in” as a 3 seed. Does not compute.

Im gonna guess because they win more games...they had a better record down the stretch amd destroyed Vandy while we were swept

Down the stretch play maybe, the other two items, not really considered. Regardless, nothing on their resume places them in a higher slot than UK.

Reactions: law1127

They have a strength of schedule of 69. Ours is 19th.

They have done well down the stretch because they played teams with RPIs of 168, 113, and 92 and picked up 5 wins in May from teams with losing records. They played only two teams with top 50 RPIs and they split. Meanwhile, UK played 7 games against teams with top 30 RPIs. Since the start of SEC play UK has played just 6 games against teams with losing records. Louisville has played the same amount this month.

Don't think it should be held against us that we played a much much harder schedule than Louisville over this past month.

If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it, but tell me how a team that's been Top 25 (polls & RPI) all year long and has the 5th most Group 1 wins in America gets left out of a Field of 64 tournament.

Imagine that happening in March Madness. [roll]

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Blind team comparison...

TEAM A:
37-19
No. 13 RPI
No. 9 SOS
15-17 vs Group 1

TEAM B:
34-21
No. 25 RPI
No. 19 SOS
17-15 vs Group 1

* Team A is a "lock" for the NCAA Tournament.
* Team B won 2 of 3 games from Team A during regular season.

If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it, but tell me how a team that's been Top 25 (polls & RPI) all year long and has the 5th most Group 1 wins in America gets left out of a Field of 64 tournament.

Imagine that happening in March Madness. [roll]

The amazing thing is that we were talking a week ago about UK hosting if they won 2 of 3. They lost 3 of 3 and they go from hosting talk to not even being in...?

Blind team comparison...

TEAM A:
37-19
No. 13 RPI
No. 9 SOS
15-17 vs Group 1

TEAM B:
34-21
No. 25 RPI
No. 19 SOS
17-15 vs Group 1

Aren't you preaching to the choir here? Shouldn't you take your argument to the publications that were linked?

Reactions: Jeff Drummond
This is all about conference record. Despite playing in the toughest conference (by far), UK's 13-17 conference record is being held against it. If the conference record is 2 games better, UK is a host and nowhere near the bubble. I don't understand the logic but that seems to be conventional wisdom.

This is all about conference record. Despite playing in the toughest conference (by far), UK's 13-17 conference record is being held against it. If the conference record is 2 games better, UK is a host and nowhere near the bubble. I don't understand the logic but that seems to be conventional wisdom.

It is asinine to me. Just asinine. Auburn, UK, and TAMU were all considered possible hosts competing for basically the last spot to host. UK gets swept, TAMU loses 2 of 3 and Auburn wins 2 of 3. Auburn has basically locked in a host, or a high 2. TAMU and UK are borderline in while somehow LSU, who lost those 2 of 3 to Auburn is also on the cusp with just 2 more SEC wins than both UK and TAMU despite being 20+ spots lower than the Cats and Aggies in RPI. LSU has 4... count that... 4 road wins this season... and absolutely zero wins in neutral sites (0-1).

Blind team comparison...

TEAM A:
37-19
No. 13 RPI
No. 9 SOS
15-17 vs Group 1

TEAM B:
34-21
No. 25 RPI
No. 19 SOS
17-15 vs Group 1

Even worse:

Team A:
29-22-1
No. 28 RPI
No. 16 SOS
9-10 v. Group 1
16-8 in conference

Team B:
34-22
No. 26 RPI
No. 17 SOS
17-17 v. Group 1
13-14 in conference

Who should get in?

Team A is Oklahoma State and is considered lock as a 2 seed out of the Big 12.

I know it somewhat re-defines things, but against top 25 RPI OK State is 1-5. Kentucky, on the other hand, is 10-10. That, clearly, is a pretty big difference.

We can keep going with this:

Team C
35-20
RPI No. 37
SOS No. 29
10-14 v. Group 1
13-10 v. Conference

This team is UCF, largely considered a 3 seed in the tournament. They finished 5th in the AAC, oddly enough, the AAC has a possible host site in East Carolina, who finished 4th in their league.

Team D
34-21
RPI No. 39
SOS No 25
9-13 v. Group 1
14-10 in conference

Team D is Oklahoma... largely considered in out of the Big 12 as either a 2 or 3 seed.

Team E
32-19
RPI No. 42
SOS No 57
7-12 v. Group 1
13-11 in conference

This is Baylor. Considered a 3 seed by 2 publications and a last 4 in by another.

I will add another point to UK'a case, Star Power ... Kole Cottam 19 HR's and a .350 BA, Luke Heyer 18 HR's .348 BA, Sean Hjelle, a projected 1st or early 2nd rd. pick.
I believe the regular Baseball fan wants to see them play more baseball.

I will add another point to UK'a case, Star Power ... Kole Cottam 19 HR's and a .350 BA, Luke Heyer 18 HR's .348 BA, Sean Hjelle, a projected 1st or early 2nd rd. pick.
I believe the regular Baseball fan wants to see them play more baseball.
If we get in does anybody want to make a guess if Lewis is ready?

It is asinine to me. Just asinine. Auburn, UK, and TAMU were all considered possible hosts competing for basically the last spot to host. UK gets swept, TAMU loses 2 of 3 and Auburn wins 2 of 3. Auburn has basically locked in a host, or a high 2. TAMU and UK are borderline in while somehow LSU, who lost those 2 of 3 to Auburn is also on the cusp with just 2 more SEC wins than both UK and TAMU despite being 20+ spots lower than the Cats and Aggies in RPI. LSU has 4... count that... 4 road wins this season... and absolutely zero wins in neutral sites (0-1).
Looks like LSU is about to take down Mst

You're damn right. There is no way to compare the SEC to the Big 10, ACC or any other conference. In baseball, we are the king, undisputed.

You're damn right. There is no way to compare the SEC to the Big 10, ACC or any other conference. In baseball, we are the king, undisputed.

Teams that play in good conferences/divisions get left out of the playoffs all of the time. That's sports.

UK has a good resume, but 13-18 sticks out like a sore thumb. In his daily update today, Kendall Rogers wrote "the Wildcats are likely in big trouble". They are now at the mercy of the results of mid-major tournaments which is never a good position to be in - especially in college baseball.

I think Mingione knows how big yesterday's game was - given his post game comments and his use of Hjelle in relief. What is so puzzling is if he knew how critical it was, why roll the dice. Why not START your ace?

Teams that play in good conferences/divisions get left out of the playoffs all of the time. That's sports.

UK has a good resume, but 13-18 sticks out like a sore thumb. In his daily update today, Kendall Rogers wrote "the Wildcats are likely in big trouble". They are now at the mercy of the results of mid-major tournaments which is never a good position to be in - especially in college baseball.

I think Mingione knows how big yesterday's game was - given his post game comments and his use of Hjelle in relief. What is so puzzling is if he knew how critical it was, why roll the dice. Why not START your ace?

Why does it matter that he didn't start Hjelle? We lost 3 to 4. That's a good enough pitching performance to win. We faced two guys who ERAs well over 4 and we still couldn't hit them. Their middle reliever made us look pretty silly. Who started didn't lose that game for us. Our lack of timely hitting that left 10+ runners on base lost us that game.

Why does it matter that he didn't start Hjelle? We lost 3 to 4. That's a good enough pitching performance to win. We faced two guys who ERAs well over 4 and we still couldn't hit them. Their middle reliever made us look pretty silly. Who started didn't lose that game for us. Our lack of timely hitting that left 10+ runners on base lost us that game.
How many risp?

I disagree, I think it mattered. Harper had one good inning but was otherwise very shakey. If Hjelle starts, we probably jump ahead of them as he wasn't giving up ANYTHING yesterday. We probably head to the 8th or 9th inning up 2-0 if that's the case...

I disagree, I think it mattered. Harper had one good inning but was otherwise very shakey. If Hjelle starts, we probably jump ahead of them as he wasn't giving up ANYTHING yesterday. We probably head to the 8th or 9th inning up 2-0 if that's the case...

Possibly, but the problem wasn't poor pitching. The pitching did enough to win. The bats didn't.

I think Auburn's showing lately should enter into the equation--------swept a top team in Florida, had to go to extra innings with UK, and still going strong, just beat a very good Ole Miss team handily.

But it probably won't.

I think Auburn's showing lately should enter into the equation--------swept a top team in Florida, had to go to extra innings with UK, and still going strong, just beat a very good Ole Miss team handily.

But it probably won't.

Auburn didn't sweep Florida. Miss State did and we just beat Miss. State the weekend before that.

Auburn didn't sweep Florida. Miss State did and we just beat Miss. State the weekend before that.

OOPS! Got them mixed up knew there was an upside to Florida being swept. Still an extra inning loss to a very good team that won their next game in the tourney pretty handily shouldn't be the end of the world-------but it could be for this team. One of the few times I would consider rooting for Auburn.

You'll have to excuse him cb3 he has trouble with his facts...maybe if MB would have built a bb recruiting room 15 years we wouldn't be in this shape. Guy is a real doozy.

You'll have to excuse him cb3 he has trouble with his facts...maybe if MB would have built a bb recruiting room 15 years we wouldn't be in this shape. Guy is a real doozy.

Talk about my dumb mistake, and then talk about building a bb recruiting room when they have had EVERYTHING possible for forever.

Really shouldn't expand the feud over here, not about baseball and probably not popular here so please don't read if you are baseball only and mitch has poured a lot of football's money (mostly from OTHER SEC ADs support of football) into baseball and the minor sports but here are SOME of the FACTS about mitch's support of the money cow I usually hit him with, FACTS he says he disproves, but he never has even tried. The FACT is that he would have had even more money for other sports if he had given football the support it deserved. Getting lazy, just copying the last reply to his claim that mitch was great for football BEFORE the strike. Sorry, won't be back over here with our private dispute.

Earlier reply:

Did he do ANYTHING above the bare minimum for UK football his first decade here?

Did he do some stupid things, like leaving the "recruiting room" in use his first decade here?

Did our PR man do an even more stupid thing, call his customers "microwave fans"?

Did he cost UK tens of millions of dollars in season ticket sales, about 20,000, and is it still costing us money?

Did you read the long running thread on here where hundreds of fans swore they would never donate a cent to UK football while he was in charge of spending the money? MORE tens of millions.

How do you explain a recruiting budget for football (which had ZERO advantages) only 60%
of the one for bb (which has EVERY advantage) for 500% of the number of recruits?

Brooks having to give Joker part of his salary, keeping Brown as "Co-DC in order to save his buyout (about TWO percent of Stoops), delaying the scoreboards two years past when they were designed to be replaced, AN OPERATING BUDGET for SIX times the players in a more expensive sport about the same as bb when football in 2010 or so cleared EIGHTEEN MILLION DOLLARS while the best program in America with EVERYTHING cleared about five million.

Stupid tirade, lol, FACTS that you don't even try to dispute, although you LIE and make fun of them.

Time for another one of your stupid lies with no facts to back it up.

End of post.

And yes, lots of support for football after the bean counters saw the millions football was throwing away-------still is really, lots of those season ticket holders will never be back, and what choice did he have with the millions from OTHER programs rolling in now.

Sorry for the interruption and I won't again, unless he asks for it, but the FACTS should probably be known over here also. And thanks Slugger for allowing me to spread the FACTS again.

And back to baseball I don't think UK hurt their image with a very good game against a top opponent in the tourney, but then the rules don't always allow the right thing to be done.

Fire away.

ADVERTISEMENT