ADVERTISEMENT

D1 baseball, Early Fall report

Feb 21, 2018
https://d1baseball.com/fall-report/fall-report-kentucky-4/

Do you agree with these assessments or not?

92b66395-2fed-40e5-89d1-153067e19eaa.gif

Well, I am a bit disappointed that Rogers thinks that the best/only option behind Thompson is the freshman Marsh. I think Hazelwood pitched well enough this summer to solidify himself as a solid contender for a weekend role, and a guy like Ramsey certainly has the potential if he can keep his control and keep his pitches down. I hope that it is a reflection of how well Marsh is doing as opposed to a knock on Hazelwoood and Ramsey.

I think Coleman has a massive amount of talent, but to me he is just the perfect closer. Throws hard and strikes guys out. He is what you want to finish teams off, and I see him being another great closer for UK.

I do think after these five or so that it is pretty shaky. There is potential there, but just so many unknowns.

That outfield is scary and there is one heck of a traffic jam out there. I don't know a whole lot about Rook Ellington, but I would think it isn't going to be easy to take centerfield away from Cam Hill. I just think the way the guy plays defense is going to be invaluable, add to that the fact that he is a serious and dangerous threat on the bases and hits pretty well and he will be hard to keep off the field. I certainly understand Shinn being out there if he continues to hit, but I know Shelby will also be given every opportunity to play out there given his pedigree. Add to that the prospect of having Breydon Daniel out there and we will have quite the fight on our hands.

I am a little disappointed that this didn't breakdown the infield more. We have to replace every position out there and I'd like to hear the thoughts on who is going to be at 3, 4, and 5.

Reactions: chill133
@unclebig'un

Would like to point out that this report does mention Ben Jordan and that he is recovering, but that he needs to get his strength back up. In high school he was approaching triple digits and was sitting in the high 90s with his fastball. Right now he is sitting in the low 90s with that fastball. So, not sure if he will ever get back to the 98-100 he was sitting at in high school, but he does at least appear to be back pitching and could factor into our bullpen this spring.

Also, in all reality, I don't know enough about Louisville to know how good the report is. I know that they are likely to be a good team because they always are. We will face them twice and both times we will see midweek pitching, which is always very strong for them. UK will likely have a freshman or a RS freshman on the mound for them during those games, so we will have a tough task in front of us to win those. As usual, there is always the threat and possibility that if one of us hosts a regional that the other one might find themselves as the 2 seed in that regional. Even if we both host then it is a strong possibility that we meet in the super regionals. So, I suppose I should start keeping more of an eye on them, but I usually just assume they are going to be good and learn more about them closer to when they are set to play UK.

Well, I am a bit disappointed that Rogers thinks that the best/only option behind Thompson is the freshman Marsh. I think Hazelwood pitched well enough this summer to solidify himself as a solid contender for a weekend role, and a guy like Ramsey certainly has the potential if he can keep his control and keep his pitches down. I hope that it is a reflection of how well Marsh is doing as opposed to a knock on Hazelwoood and Ramsey.

I think Coleman has a massive amount of talent, but to me he is just the perfect closer. Throws hard and strikes guys out. He is what you want to finish teams off, and I see him being another great closer for UK.

I do think after these five or so that it is pretty shaky. There is potential there, but just so many unknowns.

That outfield is scary and there is one heck of a traffic jam out there. I don't know a whole lot about Rook Ellington, but I would think it isn't going to be easy to take centerfield away from Cam Hill. I just think the way the guy plays defense is going to be invaluable, add to that the fact that he is a serious and dangerous threat on the bases and hits pretty well and he will be hard to keep off the field. I certainly understand Shinn being out there if he continues to hit, but I know Shelby will also be given every opportunity to play out there given his pedigree. Add to that the prospect of having Breydon Daniel out there and we will have quite the fight on our hands.

I am a little disappointed that this didn't breakdown the infield more. We have to replace every position out there and I'd like to hear the thoughts on who is going to be at 3, 4, and 5.
I would think that Shelby would be in the mix for an OF spot, most likely LF.

I would think that Shelby would be in the mix for an OF spot, most likely LF.

Yep, but there is a big log jam out there. Rook and Hill are likely candidates for center. Shelby. Daniel, and Shinn are likely candidates for the other two spots. So, finding 3 out of those 5 won't be easy.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
ADVERTISEMENT