ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Rombauer turns on the jets to come from way back to win the Preakness.
I had 10 bucks on Rombauer. I'm picking by names these days because it seems like the best way. My favorite wine.

8812517589022.png

Great minds think alike. After mowing 1/2 of one of the fields today I burned some brush, etc in the fire pit. But we really don't have any neighbors to bother....so fire it up. Every Spring we have a ton of brush, dead stuff from last year, sticks from trees, etc to burn. The Mrs always piles it all up in the fire pit as she's gathering it up...even though I've told her for years and years not to. More work for me...have to pull everything out before I even start. Anyway, all in ashes now other than a few decent size branches/logs.

Tilled about 1/2 of the garden. That wears me out. Got a big rear tine Husqavarna that is big, heavy, etc. And even though it self-propelled, it's still like hanging on to a bronking horse. Then got cleaned up and grilled some ribeyes, so I'm pooped.
The Director is a firebug......can't keep her out of a fire..........she has just got to poke at it for some reason........I have a Cub Cadet rear tine tiller......it is much bigger that what my gardens really need.........I can have the tines in reverse while the wheels are pulling forward........I have raised beds that were built out of compost.........think screened potting soil........with a fair amount of rock in it.........(watch out for loads of free dirt),,,,the reason for a large tiller is I just have to back it up and guide it.....I had a Troybuilt Pony tiller that some one done me the favor of stealing.........I called it, "little bucky"......the only thing I have left to plant is my sweet potato plants.......so maybe the Director and myself can go catch a mess of crappie........

We could get the Louisville folks together for a lunch somewhere, sometime. Of course, if anyone wanted to make a drive from Ashland or Evansville, they would be welcome as well. Hell, let's just open it up to Smith's Grove folks too.

Darn, My Darling and I along with probably my Grandson will be making a trip to Radcliff in probably the next ten days to two weeks. I'd sure buy at least all the drinks if I could crash the party!

Darn, My Darling and I along with probably my Grandson will be making a trip to Radcliff in probably the next ten days to two weeks. I'd sure buy at least all the drinks if I could crash the party!
Safe travels. Good old Radlciff. My cousin, Mary, lived there while her husband was stationed at Fort Knox. Been through a few times. It's changed a bit.

was gonna work on the bushes today but never got to it..mowed yesterday along with plenty of cold beer just left me not wanting to do much today...maybe tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Been to linnigs several times since they opened back up. bout 15 minutes from my house. Cunningham's IMO is just as good, kingfish will not get anymore of my business.

got my garden in the ground, now just need to warmer weather for the ground to warm up...

Not much else shakin this end of town...

was gonna work on the bushes today but never got to it..mowed yesterday along with plenty of cold beer just left me not wanting to do much today...maybe tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Been to linnigs several times since they opened back up. bout 15 minutes from my house. Cunningham's IMO is just as good, kingfish will not get anymore of my business.

got my garden in the ground, now just need to warmer weather for the ground to warm up...

Not much else shakin this end of town...
Years ago I was involved in the Phoenix Place construction project east of the hospital complex downtown......near the end of the project the owner took the foremen to Cunningham's for "lunch"........by the time I left there I was seeing quadruple.....I tore up a Chevy Van......didn't get hurt......had just enough sense to pull off at Norton Pool......I woke up several hours later laying on my tools in the back......quit drinking for several yrs.........My grandpa has his picture on the wall at Cunningham's...............family traditions....

Last edited:
Good Lords Day from the Buckeye State. Overcast and cool with a high later on in the 70s...I'll take it. They talked all week of rain today...and now it's nowhere to be seen. That's OK. Me and the Mrs after dinner last night sat on the swing on the porch for awhile and then in the backyard. About the first time we've done it together this year. Beautiful day yesterday. We'll see about this one.

Everybody have a safe, healthy, and productive Sunday.

Fish for a different variety of fish. Bass are giving you not only fits, but nightmares.

Oh, I pray all's day is well. Been out with my Darling and grandson most of the day. God bless you and may you all know the feeling of a grandchild looking at you with all the love in the world. God bless you all...
No, the bass are testing me, tasking me, asking me, Are you Man Enough! I must answer them with a barrage of tempting lures. Besides, it gets me out of the house by myself and some exercise moving around the ponds.

Good morning! Been up for about an hour now. Nothing has changed.

I think I'll cook us up a couple of ribeyes for lunch today. Might even bake a tater.

I have to take my wife to work tomorrow and then take her car to the dealer to be serviced. She gets that free (lol) for the first 3 years or 36,000. It's a nice place and they have a badass coffee machine in the waiting area.

Don't know what I'll do after that but I would assume a piddler mall or two is in my immediate future.

Take it light today. Later...

I will probably be in Radcliff in July. Me and my daughter traveled last year about that time frame and she wants to go again this year and has not said when yet. We will determine that off of her plans for the summer after school is out this weekend. Summer camp involved.

Had MIL and BIL at house yesterday and my wife fried up the fish caught last weekend because they are vegans. I offered them for desert a piece of that apple pie Austin had me buy (suggested, subliminal national whatever day) and both declined because neither one like apple pie and her brother does not like pies at all. I almost said that he should try shepherds pie to see if he liked that one (Heh, heh, heh). But, I decided to be good for once. Which brings me to this morning's breakfast. Apple Pie! Almost added chocolate chips to it to complete my national whatever day.

I love KFC. My favored pieces are legs, wings, livers and thighs. The next day is a good as when they are hot, in my book.
I am the same way. I love dark meat and it works out good because my wife likes white meat, the breast and pulley bone. We always get the biggest bucket they sell and put what we don't eat in the refrigerator for snacks the next couple of days.

About four or five times a year I will cook about a dozen turkey legs and snack on them during a football game on TV. Why not?

Speaking of chicken. How many women or men do you know who can cut a chicken up to fry? The women in my family can but I am not sure about the rest of America. Another lost art. Growing up my grandparents had chickens in the yard and every Saturday grandma would put on big pot to boil and go out in the yard and wring a chicken's neck. I was about 5 years old and I asked her on day if I could wring the neck. I grabbed the chicken and twisted it around a couple of times and the dang chicken just walked away confused. Grandma picked it up and with one snap, it was ready for the pot. But that is how you learn. You have to fail a few times to do it right.

Last edited:
Some of my fondest memories are in Radcliff. When I was a DI at Knox i got married and move my wife into an apartment building in Radcliff. There were four nice sized one bedroom apartments in the building and all four units were inhabited with men in my Company. One of the soldiers was a "cooks helper" and he would bring things from the mess hall and we would cook out 3 or 4 times a week. Some beer joint in the next county over sold PBR to soldiers boys for $3.95 a case.

The mess hall would throw out everything they did not cook and we had some choice meat available. Lady Bird Johnson was the first lady and she did the menu preparation for the Army back then. Being from Texas she made sure we had plenty of steaks and beef. I have to say we were very well fed in the Army back in those days.

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 71°F and cloudy with a slight drizzle. Expecting more precious, beautiful rain with a high of 79°F. In fact, we should receive rainfall over the next few days. Definitely need a wet spring so our coming summer might not be so brutal.

Not much else going on. Plan on knocking out a few chores here after breakfast.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

98002788_3090205547706747_1000467401302605824_n.jpg

That flood was in 1933. It is the 10th largest flood to hit Louisville. Actually, it's the 10th highest flood stage for the river. The flood wall protects it now. 1997 flooded a lot of the southwest area where the flood wail ends and was 4.5 feet higher than 1933.

That's enough about history...let's talk about the future. A higher flood than 1937 will come some day. It just will.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 71°F and cloudy with a slight drizzle. Expecting more precious, beautiful rain with a high of 79°F. In fact, we should receive rainfall over the next few days. Definitely need a wet spring so our coming summer might not be so brutal.

Not much else going on. Plan on knocking out a few chores here after breakfast.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

98002788_3090205547706747_1000467401302605824_n.jpg
Alright Austin, I draw the line at eating some Saints Jock.

My wife says it is good though. She is half French. Her grandmother who brought her dad over here from France when he was a boy used to make it for them.

Growing up my grandparents had chickens in the yard and every Saturday grandma would put on big pot to boil and go out in the yard and wring a chicken's neck. I was about 5 years old and I asked her on day if I could wring the neck. I grabbed the chicken and twisted it around a couple of times and the dang chicken just walked away confused. Grandma picked it up and with one snap, it was ready for the pot
I remember as a little kid visiting relatives (especially one Aunt/Uncle) in S. Ky. who lived on farms. Since we were company it was always a big fried chicken dinner...with fresh chicken. All us kids (probably 7-8 total) running around the barnyard trying to catch chickens so my Aunt could do the deadly deed. Was fun, but me and my siblings, being Ohio city kids, weren't too good at it.
Lady Bird Johnson was the first lady and she did the menu preparation for the Army back then. Being from Texas she made sure we had plenty of steaks and beef.
Don't tell me that her menus were better than what Michelle put together for the schools? Can't be.

I was born and raised primarily in Louisville but, my last three years in high school was at West Hardin High outside of E-town in Stephens county. We were on a 52 acre farm and we learned to kill and clean and cook our own chickens since both parents worked (That is if my step father did not pick us up after school to work) We would just chop their heads off and let them flop until dead then, douse them in some hot water to make it easier to pluck the feathers.

That flood was in 1933. It is the 10th largest flood to hit Louisville. Actually, it's the 10th highest flood stage for the river. The flood wall protects it now. 1997 flooded a lot of the southwest area where the flood wail ends and was 4.5 feet higher than 1933.

That's enough about history...let's talk about the future. A higher flood than 1937 will come some day. It just will.
In Cincy, 2nd highest to 1937 flood is 19' above flood stage. They've been measuring for about 150 years, so the range of 0-19' flood heights can pretty well estimate the standard deviation of flood heights by dividing that by 6 or a 3' std. dev.

+/- 3 std. dev. is 99.7% of events, or 0.3% outside that with 0.15% on each side. At Cincy, 1937 is another 3 standard deviations higher, +28' - on one side of the curve. Net, higher than 1937 could be millions of years out.

Is that Louisville during the 37' flood?

Being a river rat memories of the enduring nature of that life is in my soul. Many spectacular. Some very dark.

I am the same way. I love dark meat and it works out good because my wife likes white meat, the breast and pulley bone. We always get the biggest bucket they sell and put what we don't eat in the refrigerator for snacks the next couple of days.

About four or five times a year I will cook about a dozen turkey legs and snack on them during a football game on TV. Why not?

Speaking of chicken. How many women or men do you know who can cut a chicken up to fry? The women in my family can but I am not sure about the rest of America. Another lost art. Growing up my grandparents had chickens in the yard and every Saturday grandma would put on big pot to boil and go out in the yard and wring a chicken's neck. I was about 5 years old and I asked her on day if I could wring the neck. I grabbed the chicken and twisted it around a couple of times and the dang chicken just walked away confused. Grandma picked it up and with one snap, it was ready for the pot. But that is how you learn. You have to fail a few times to do it right.

At least gizzards don't come in the buckets.

Oh, may God bless you all on this Lord's day. Give thanks in all circumstances...God Bless you all... Again...

Edit: In case you all didn't notice: gizzards have scarred me for life. May have to get used to them ..

Last edited:

I was raised on the farm and the fried chicken we ate was about 15 minutes away from walking around. I never cut a chicken up, but I know how because I watched dad.

My dad shot them in the head with a .22 short. He did not like to see them flop around. He would throw some corn on the ground and wait until he could not see the grain he was aiming at. The chicken simply fell over. Dad would throw her into a pot of boiling water, wait a minute and pull off the feathers, cut it up and take it to mom.

Alright Austin, I draw the line at eating some Saints Jock.

My wife says it is good though. She is half French. Her grandmother who brought her dad over here from France when he was a boy used to make it for them.

I will go with your interpretation. (I got cockles out of it and then just stopped.) I was concerned to be letting my mind loose on that one... Whew...

I was born and raised primarily in Louisville but, my last three years in high school was at West Hardin High outside of E-town in Stephens county. We were on a 52 acre farm and we learned to kill and clean and cook our own chickens since both parents worked (That is if my step father did not pick us up after school to work) We would just chop their heads off and let them flop until dead then, douse them in some hot water to make it easier to pluck the feathers.
Part of my kid years included lots time spent on a farm where KY222 & WK PKWY intersects.....I guess I have walked most of the property in that area rabbit hunting........

Had MIL and BIL at house yesterday and my wife fried up the fish caught last weekend because they are vegans. I offered them for desert a piece of that apple pie Austin had me buy (suggested, subliminal national whatever day) and both declined because neither one like apple pie and her brother does not like pies at all. I almost said that he should try shepherds pie to see if he liked that one (Heh, heh, heh). But, I decided to be good for once. Which brings me to this morning's breakfast. Apple Pie! Almost added chocolate chips to it to complete my national whatever day.

Sacrilege...ALL Americans MUST like Apple pie.... Just like all must renounce their heritage or they must like non-gender bathrooms or.... Sigh ..

Schmidt, you are getting exercise sleeping from what I've read.
There have been many dreams in the past and it is why my wife insisted to go with me when the VA referred me to a psychologist in OKC. She wanted to make sure I did not forget to tell him my problems. I have a tendency to just say all is good just to get out of doctors offices. Have only seen a psychologist/psychiatrist once before in my life. Army made it mandatory back then that if you requested DI duty (I was DA selected) or you ask for a third year (I did) then you needed to be evaluated.

ADVERTISEMENT