ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Great win by the Cats.

Can you believe the Vandy played tough defense for 40 minutes and only got called for 5 fouls? UK got 2 free throws. Wow.
Yes, saw that unusual stat. Two free throw attempts by Oscar. Rechecked box score on another site to ensure FTs were correct. Unreal. Game was also played at a fast pace.

Very nice road win.

IJEFgcwypuVPQOLlDtGbohl8eAGq4weN-5YmzAI_zyUWhPocNe78n207boeYXBgLbNvrxmWZFQFIxeZCnb1e11AQLvnk08TcVLkyw1pfsDJEXQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Good morning D

Enjoying a strong black cup of coffee under the stars. It is a pleasant 62° and we will see 81° by this afternoon. The skies are clear and you can see bright stars which is a favorite pastime of mine in the early morning hours. I like to "star gaze" and since we live in a sparsely populated area we do not get the city lights to block them out. So on a clear night you can see without a problem. It is best to find an isolated, no lights around beach and look out over the water.

Looking forward to the SEC - Big 12 Challenge. Some great games including Texas v. Alabama and of course the big one, UK - Kansas. I like our and the SEC chances.

Trust all are well and in good spirits

iu

Good morning from ATX. Currently 41°F with light clouds, Warming to 57°F later. Feels more like a central Texas winter.

What a performance last night. Where has this Cats team been? Just 9 turnovers on 56% FG shooting, Aggressive play. Wowza. Loved it.

Looks like I'll head back to work soon, possibly as soon as Friday or next Monday. I'm also exploring retirement options.

Wishing you fine gents an awesome day.

National-Irish-Coffee-Day-January-25.jpg

Good morning from ATX. Currently 41°F with light clouds, Warming to 57°F later. Feels more like a central Texas winter.

What a performance last night. Where has this Cats team been? Just 9 turnovers on 56% FG shooting, Aggressive play. Wowza. Loved it.

Looks like I'll head back to work soon, possibly as soon as Friday or next Monday. I'm also exploring retirement options.

Wishing you fine gents an awesome day.

National-Irish-Coffee-Day-January-25.jpg
Great news Austin. I would seriously consider retiring if I were in your shoes. I found that when I retired I could make money consulting and work as I dictated. I was able to work 100% from my home, no travel and work my hours. I insisted on no travel and no office to go to. I traveled enough for one lifetime.

I usually knocked of at 12:00 noon (at noon I turned on Rush LImbaugh so no work for me) and was able to make 6 figures a year. I could select my work and turn down what I did not want. The opportunities are there when one has the talent you have.

The best to you in your decision. The D is pulling for you.

Well I am using an HP desktop that is about to crash on me. I have had it 14 years and it has been a great one but it is out of date now and freezing up. Firefox is doing it constantly.

The computer runs 8.1 windows and you can not get updates anymore. So it is obsolete I guess. I have another desktop, Dell, that is one year old and is a little more powerful than this one.

I best transfer my documents, photos, music, etc. and do it quick. I have a lot of stuff on it. This old boy is about to bite the dust.

Saluting-Legionnaire.jpg

Morning D-Legionnaires!

33° this morning with a high of mid 40's expected. Did not get the amount of snow predicted, only about 1/2 inch yesterday so it will all be gone by this afternoon. Monster loved it though; she laid around and played around in it for a good part of the day.

Good game last night as the Cats have won 4 straight. A win against Kansas this weekend should get us back to the top 25. A couple of weeks ago I would not have given us a chance for this game but now, 60-40 maybe even better chance since Kansas has lost 3 straight. Only caveat is that Kansas has lost 3 straight.

You good folks enjoy your day and Oh yeah @AustinTXCat , come on in the retirement pool, the water is fine.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Well I am using an HP desktop that is about to crash on me. I have had it 14 years and it has been a great one but it is out of date now and freezing up. Firefox is doing it constantly.

The computer runs 8.1 windows and you can not get updates anymore. So it is obsolete I guess. I have another desktop, Dell, that is one year old and is a little more powerful than this one.

I best transfer my documents, photos, music, etc. and do it quick. I have a lot of stuff on it. This old boy is about to bite the dust.
Song of the day for your computer and the last basketball conquest with hopes of continued success.

Well Disney is shutting down Splash Mountain. Cancelled and closed. This was my children's favorite ride but in the year 2023 it is suddenly racist. It has a Song of The South theme and we can't have that can we? Anything Southern has to go in today's America.

I wish Disney World had never come to this state. They are not worth it.

No More Splash Mountain At Disney

Well Disney is shutting down Splash Mountain. Cancelled and closed. This was my children's favorite ride but in the year 2023 it is suddenly racist. It has a Song of The South theme and we can't have that can we? Anything Southern has to go in today's America.

I wish Disney World had never come to this state. They are not worth it.

No More Splash Mountain At Disney
Closing Splash Mountain over racism? Wow.

We lived in FL a few times. Discussed WDW with many folks during later visits about Disney's impact down there. Many long-time residents seemed turned off by all the enormous changes brought on by the park. First few years seemed okay, but once the attraction went full scale, all the problems (overcrowding, traffic, crime, and many others) started.

Good morning everyone.

A nice win for us last night. Not only that it was a fun game to watch. I managed to stay up and watch it all.

@warrior-cat All my labs loved the snow but one in particular loved it. She would slide down the hill, eat and throw a couple of bites of snow, then walk back up and do it all over again.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Good morning D-League.

Starting to feel a little better about the Cats. Every year I get a sense of dread ahead of playing in that bizarre barn in Nashville and when the Cats manage to win down there I get a big sense of relief. Some memorable games there in memorable years -- remember Nazr Mohammed's ice cream scoop shot as time expired in 1998 as the Cats were revving up for their title run? Then, that remarkable game in 2003 that totally turned the season around when the Cats came out after being flat as a pancake in the first half and buried Vandy with smothering defense.

Maybe this'll be another good turning point.

Last edited:
Disney, for all of our happy memories of it, has been at the forefront of changing America for the worse. We just didn't know much about it until recently. I learned about it when some friends' kids and/or nephew was trying to get a job there. One kid did and he told me about all of the cultlike, grotesque, and political stuff.

I tried to warn others about it, but was accused of attacking America and being un-American.

Another friend's nephew went to work there in the stage entertainment side. Was a staunch conservative for many years, but finally gave in to the world's pressure and (even though he still knows conservative values are clearly more in the right across the board) now claims he's a liberal and after fighting it for many years, gay. He was raised conservative, Christian, and his parents never divorced, but he never lived up to his own high expectations of himself, got into drugs and alcohol, got taken advantage of and programmed by kids and TV from an early age, and now he's lost.

No idea just how much Disney had an influence, but it had been seen by so many as such a clean and wholesome company that everything was soaked in without question or scrutiny for a very long time. I stopped watching anything Disney after the movie with the black hole. Somethings about it didn't sit right with me back then. Only saw things sporadically on video releases at friend's or gfriends houses much later.

Very disappointing history there, considering how loved they were by so many

Disney, for all of our happy memories of it, has been at the forefront of changing America for the worse. We just didn't know much about it until recently. I learned about it when some friends' kids and/or nephew was trying to get a job there. One kid did and he told me about all of the cultlike, grotesque, and political stuff.

I tried to warn others about it, but was accused of attacking America and being un-American.

Another friend's nephew went to work there in the stage entertainment side. Was a staunch conservative for many years, but finally gave in to the world's pressure and (even though he still knows conservative values are clearly more in the right across the board) now claims he's a liberal and after fighting it for many years, gay. He was raised conservative, Christian, and his parents never divorced, but he never lived up to his own high expectations of himself, got into drugs and alcohol, got taken advantage of and programmed by kids and TV from an early age, and now he's lost.

No idea just how much Disney had an influence, but it had been seen by so many as such a clean and wholesome company that everything was soaked in without question or scrutiny for a very long time. I stopped watching anything Disney after the movie with the black hole. Somethings about it didn't sit right with me back then. Only saw things sporadically on video releases at friend's or gfriends houses much later.

Very disappointing history there, considering how loved they were by so many
We have the Disney channel/app on our internet TV service but are not renewing it when it runs out shortly.

Good morning, D finished Titus this morning, on to the next Philemon.

SC cut out three more USAF Emblems yesterday, I have another one ready to be picked up, thanks!!!!

Good game last night! There was one point in the game when he player that was throwing up all those threes, Ky took the ball and sloooooowly brought the ball up the court, I thought, here we go again, play not to loose, but they kept going after Vandy, that's the old style of KY basketball, run and gun!!!!

I hope the D, has a great day and prayers for the D!!!!

BBUK, don't to forget to wear pink today!!!!!!! LOL just kidding!!!!

SC or any of the D, ya'll need to try and find the comet that's out now, they call it the green comet, we are supposed to see it in really dark skies with the eye, I will try to find it with my binoculars first, then drag out my telescope, it will be close to the Little Dipper from the 25th-29th. I've always enjoyed finding comets!!!!

Maybe I'm just getting older, and less impressed by baseball players of the past 30 years than guys who played when I was a kid, but I was surprised Scott Rolen - ex-Card, ex-Red -- made the Hall of Fame. Yeah, he was an exceptional fielder with a good bat, made lots of all-star teams and won several Gold Gloves. It just felt to me he was on that next level just below "Hall of Famer."

Here's a comparison Bernie will appreciate: Rolen is in, but not Ken Boyer, who had more hits, almost the same number of home runs, was also a perennial All Star and won several Gold Gloves himself.

I would have put Ken Boyer in before Scott Rolen, but again, that is probably the bias of youth.

Maybe I'm just getting older, and less impressed by baseball players of the past 30 years than guys who played when I was a kid, but I was surprised Scott Rolen - ex-Card, ex-Red -- made the Hall of Fame. Yeah, he was an exceptional fielder with a good bat, made lots of all-star teams and won several Gold Gloves. It just felt to me he was on that next level just below "Hall of Famer."

Here's a comparison Bernie will appreciate: Rolen is in, but not Ken Boyer, who had more hits, almost the same number of home runs, was also a perennial All Star and won several Gold Gloves himself.

I would have put Ken Boyer in before Scott Rolen, but again, that is probably the bias of youth.
Actually, being a Cards fan, I saw both in person and on TV. It is pretty close, but I liked Rolen better, though he wasn't a Card as long. They are talking about it on a Cards site I read. I think Roen's saber stats are also slightly better. A shoulder injury cut short his effective career. He wasn't as good by the time he reached the Reds. On the Cards site, they are saying Rolen and LaRussa hated each other, in part because LaRussa wanted Rolen to do the roids to help overcome his shoulder injury and Rolen didn't want to.

Actually, being a Cards fan, I saw both in person and on TV. It is pretty close, but I liked Rolen better, though he wasn't a Card as long. They are talking about it on a Cards site I read. I think Roen's saber stats are also slightly better. A shoulder injury cut short his effective career. He wasn't as good by the time he reached the Reds. On the Cards site, they are saying Rolen and LaRussa hated each other, in part because LaRussa wanted Rolen to do the roids to help overcome his shoulder injury and Rolen didn't want to.
That's interesting Bernie.

I saw both too, though certainly not as often as you. Rolen was still an above-average 3rd baseman with the Reds teams that won the NL Central 2-3 times under Dusty Baker. And I remember how good he was for a while with the Cardinals. I just would have ranked other players as more worthy of the HOF - including Ken Boyer.

It's just the bias of youth, I suppose. Major Leaguers, especially All Stars, seem like Gods when you are 10 years old. It's a lot easier to judge them critically when you are 35-40.

I can believe that about LaRussa, by the way. Good for Rolen if he stood up to him.

Great news Austin. I would seriously consider retiring if I were in your shoes. I found that when I retired I could make money consulting and work as I dictated. I was able to work 100% from my home, no travel and work my hours. I insisted on no travel and no office to go to. I traveled enough for one lifetime.

I usually knocked of at 12:00 noon (at noon I turned on Rush LImbaugh so no work for me) and was able to make 6 figures a year. I could select my work and turn down what I did not want. The opportunities are there when one has the talent you have.

The best to you in your decision. The D is pulling for you.

Loan me some dough Sir....

On account...😁

In the same boat Sir... I don't want to change out. I have my data backed up but no extra computer...sigh... I designed this baby. Now it's about gone....

SC or any of the D, ya'll need to try and find the comet that's out now, they call it the green comet, we are supposed to see it in really dark skies with the eye, I will try to find it with my binoculars first, then drag out my telescope, it will be close to the Little Dipper from the 25th-29th. I've always enjoyed finding comets!!!!

Comet makes your teeth turn green. Comet it tastes like Listerine...vomit today.... (Don't really do it.) Sir...

I certainly agree Ken Boyer should be in the Hall of Fame. I am surprised he is not He had a brother who was a great third baseman too, Played on some great Yankee teams after he was traded by the K C Athletics. He later played for the Atlanta Braves. He was a better fielder than a hitter.

His brother Ken Boyer could do both very well.

In the same boat Sir... I don't want to change out. I have my data backed up but no extra computer...sigh... I designed this baby. Now it's about gone....
This thing started acting up some time back and I had bought the extra desktop just in case. I have it hooked up to a spare 48" TV and use the TV as a monitor.

My wife is about every Apple you can think of. The phones, the laptops, the desktops, the I Pads and on and on. She loves to take photos and video on them and is out back about every day looking at nature and wildlife that comes through the yard.

She has some fantastic video as well as photos and puts them on Facebook. I wish I knew how to post a video off of Facebook but I have not a clue. If I did I would post some of them.

I certainly agree Ken Boyer should be in the Hall of Fame. I am surprised he is not He had a brother who was a great third baseman too, Played on some great Yankee teams after he was traded by the K C Athletics. He later played for the Atlanta Braves. He was a better fielder than a hitter.

His brother Ken Boyer could do both very well.
Clete Boyer. One year Clete and Ken both started at 3B in the All Star game. Another brother Claud was a pitcher, but not near the player as Clete and Ken.

You guys all know how the NCAA has pretty much always had it in for UK and it started with Adolph Rupp. He was an innovator and they had to change rules because of him. I've read stories by Tev Laudeman about some of it. Along came the scandal years with the Beard teams. The team punished was the Hagan/Ramsey bunch. Rupp was going to play a schedule anyway and say screw the NCAA. Privately, every SEC team told Rupp they would play UK. The NCAA told the SEC they would be punished if they did. Every SEC team but one reneged when the SEC took an official vote. Only Tenn voted to play UK and Rupp never forgot that. After that, he helped Tenn every chance he got.

You guys all know how the NCAA has pretty much always had it in for UK and it started with Adolph Rupp. He was an innovator and they had to change rules because of him. I've read stories by Tev Laudeman about some of it. Along came the scandal years with the Beard teams. The team punished was the Hagan/Ramsey bunch. Rupp was going to play a schedule anyway and say screw the NCAA. Privately, every SEC team told Rupp they would play UK. The NCAA told the SEC they would be punished if they did. Every SEC team but one reneged when the SEC took an official vote. Only Tenn voted to play UK and Rupp never forgot that. After that, he helped Tenn every chance he got.
That is the truth about Rupp and Tennessee. I saw it with my own eyes and heard it from the lips of Rupp.

Rupp started the UKIT or University of Kentucky Invitational Tournament in the 1950's. This tournament was set up to be played just before Christmas on the home floor of Kentucky. It was to have the best four teams in the nation available for a two game tournament. Friday night's winners played for the championship on Saturday night. The losers played in the consolation game. We had some of the greatest teams and players of that era play on our home floor. The best of the best.

One year, it may have been 62 or 63, a team pulled out at the last moment for some reason and it left a spot open. The UKIT was the highest paying collegiate "holiday tournament" in the country and lots of teams wanted to come because of the $$$$.

But Rupp called Tennessee and offered them the spot. He publically said he wanted them to play as a thank you for having UK's back. Now Tennessee was a horrible program at that time and their attendance in Knoxville was low so they jumped on the chance to play. They wanted the big payout and Rupp was eager to give it to them in show of gratitude for backing UK during the dark days of the scandal. Most SEC teams were ready to kick UK out of the SEC conference but Tennessee argued no. And we stayed. But it took a huge argument from Tennessee in support of UK.

I remember that UKIT game so plain because the big man on Tennessee was Orb Bowling from Sandy Hook, KY. He was almost 7 feet and weighed a little over 200 lbs. He was awkward looking and had a funny face. UK students were familiar with Sandy Hook, KY and their famous cheer. It went like this.

Sandy Hook, Sandy Hook
We are it
SH for Sandy Hook
IT for it.

Each time Orb Bowling got the ball we would start on that chant. The picture below is Orb Bowling being guarded by UK great Ted Deeken, forward #12. Deeken was solid and paired up well with Cotton Nash, the All American. Scotty Baesler was the point guard on the team, he is on the right #14. He became a U.S. Rep from Lex and mayor of Lexington.

iu

Orb Bowling also played for the Kentucky Colonels

iu

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT