ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Good morning folks. I can't even afford to wake up these days with the way my job is going. Opened my email first thing to find that a terrific WW2 historian in London I am working with has to bow out of a major project for personal reasons. Hate it for him, and I am at least temporarily screwed. But as we all learned over our long work lives, there is always an answer and it always works out.

My wife and daughter are getting revved up for their London excursion. I'm just hoping they don't get crushed by the terrible scramble air travel has become. I'm toying with the idea of using my freedom for a quick raid on the Bluegrass. I was just there three weeks ago, but can always use another visit.

Hope you folks are doing well.

Holy goodness, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that the Environmental Protection Agency does not have the authority to mandate carbon emissions from existing power plants. Hallelujah! Now let us unfund the EPA.

Maybe Congress will now put the final nail in the Green New Deal. Screw the extremists. Now it is time to overthrow a bunch of Joe's Executive order.

Good morning D! Read Matthew16 this morning. No rain Bert!!!

Well today I turned 71, just seemed like yesterday I was 70!!!!

Going to Texas roadhouse for my lunch today in Owensboro. While we are there, we're going to the courthouse, every year the Kawanis club puts up flags with the names of some loved ones on them, we have JP, my MOM and DAD and my MOTHER-IN-Law there this year, tomorrow will be JP's birthday.

I hope the D has a great day and Prayers for the D!!!!

Going to Texas roadhouse for my lunch today in Owensboro. While we are there, we're going to the courthouse, every year the Kawanis club puts up flags with the names of some loved ones on them, we have JP, my MOM and DAD and my MOTHER-IN-Law there this year, tomorrow will be JP's birthday.

I have been wondering where you have been. Good to see you Cord.

Happy Birthday to you, you young punk. Geeze people that are only 70 should not even have a drivers permit! :)

Happy Heavenly Birthday tomorrow to J.P.

248586907_4426573640791519_1752845883366480710_n.jpg

Also yesterday was when my grandson Owen got killed in 2015.
244742028_4373555126093371_2105034470814153983_n.jpg

Happy Birthday Cord.

Happy Birthday Cord.

71st-birthday-13.gif

I turned 71 a few weeks ago. Same train different time. We're simple here. When you ain't, you're missed and always welcome.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 75°F and mostly cloudy. Today's high expected around 98°F. More triple-digits on the way.

I'm nearly packed. Pup seems well. Must prepare some boiled chicken for her and grocery shop tonight. Sure is a challenge getting out of here.

Happy Friday, y'all.

Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

23ed1aa3df5dd8e692bd7a37d741797a.jpg

Good Friday Morning D

Well, I made it to Friday. Our temperature at the present is 72° and we should hit 84° this afternoon. Humidity is below normal with a 65% chance of rain by 3:00 PM. Winds are 8 mph from the west.

Today several new state laws go into effect one being the playing of loud "boom box" radios in your car. If a person can hear your radio with all the windows rolled up in traffic you are violating the law. I like that one. One reason for this was some car stereo radios were so loud motorist could not hear emergency vehicles. This has caused accidents and even deaths. Noise pollution is a problem in some of our large cities. Maybe the new law will fix that problem. Our local sheriff said it will be enforced starting now.

I trust all have a great day, free of noise pollution and boom box stereo speakers in the car next to you at the red light. Rap on boy and pay your fine.

179fd9c2360f2ec45033d79ac6fcf7d8.jpg

Went to a viewing of my karate instructor's mother at the funeral home last night with some of his black belts. One of the guys in recent times had colon cancer and had a foot of colon removed because if it. He said the treatments and medication has lightened his skin a lot as he saw we had noticed it. He is black and the shorter of the two black men pictured below.
Resized-20220630-202655002.jpg

I told him that in 10 years he will look like this if it keeps going:

Montgomery.jpg

78.8°F to top out at 93° with 40% chance of rain. Not a drop yesterday, probably none today.

The college conference realignment is going to change thing dramatically. With USC and UCLA missing from the Pac (what ever number) will it remain a "power" conference? That will make the Big Ten a 16 team conference, but the travel expenses could get big as it will be a transcontinental conference.

Good morning folks. I saw that Hershel "Woody" Williams died yesterday - the last World War 2 Medal of Honor winner to pass away.

I had the honor of chatting with him a couple years ago, setting up an interview for a piece I designed and edited on the 75th anniversary of VJ Day. I turned him over to a writer working for me after that, but I'm glad i got to speak with him at all. Here's the piece, in case anyone is interested. We led off with the Woody interview...

I have been wondering where you have been. Good to see you Cord.

Happy Birthday to you, you young punk. Geeze people that are only 70 should not even have a drivers permit! :)

Happy Heavenly Birthday tomorrow to J.P.

248586907_4426573640791519_1752845883366480710_n.jpg

Also yesterday was when my grandson Owen got killed in 2015.
244742028_4373555126093371_2105034470814153983_n.jpg
Bert, So sorry for your losses. I can't imagine the pain you had to endure with losing grandson Owen. Not sure of your connection with J.P. but obviously someone close.
I'm sure they are never far from your thoughts.

The squirrels have attacked my avocado tree again this year. I have tried every known gimmick to keep them out of the tree to no avail. So another crop is going down the tubes. Looking on the positive side, at least it provides a nice shade tree. I picked these off of the ground this morning. Each has a squirrel bite in it.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teTuG_a-4RCOxKR7QFFVqiMvrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A
00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQiiD0MAFZHdzrA7nO3YfcmaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

The squirrels have attacked my avocado tree again this year. I have tried every known gimmick to keep them out of the tree to no avail. So another crop is going down the tubes. Looking on the positive side, at least it provides a nice shade tree. I picked these off of the ground this morning. Each has a squirrel bite in it.

00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teTuG_a-4RCOxKR7QFFVqiMvrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A
00-VGoiT3Y43HCVi5zFo8RP4qAIx90G3xGFQmQ4UHj7teQiiD0MAFZHdzrA7nO3YfcmaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA
I know how pitiful it is when the little rodents attack, but they are God's gift to mankind.

I have had two pet squirrels in my life. I named both of them Chip. They are mean, ornery, and wonderful.
250521858_4441934749255408_6156362852743761964_n.jpg

Good Friday Morning D

Well, I made it to Friday. Our temperature at the present is 72° and we should hit 84° this afternoon. Humidity is below normal with a 65% chance of rain by 3:00 PM. Winds are 8 mph from the west.

Today several new state laws go into effect one being the playing of loud "boom box" radios in your car. If a person can hear your radio with all the windows rolled up in traffic you are violating the law. I like that one. One reason for this was some car stereo radios were so loud motorist could not hear emergency vehicles. This has caused accidents and even deaths. Noise pollution is a problem in some of our large cities. Maybe the new law will fix that problem. Our local sheriff said it will be enforced starting now.

I trust all have a great day, free of noise pollution and boom box stereo speakers in the car next to you at the red light. Rap on boy and pay your fine.
Certainly qualifies as disturbing the peace. Not unlike In-a-gadda-da-vida Good reason for a fine. Garden of Eden thru the light at the end of the bottlle.

Good morning D-League. Heading out for my Saturday morning hike. Cloudy and humid on the way to being oppressively hot today.

My wife and daughter made it to London on a smooth flight, and I had a bunch of photos of them riding the Tube this morning as their subway is called and of Big Ben, which they can see from their hotel room. Wish I’d blown off work and gone with them.

Hope it is a jolly good day for all of you.

Good morning from ATX. Currently 79°F and cloudy. Today's high expected around 100°F.

Bags packed. Picking up rental car at 9:30 am. It's roughly a half-mile walk to the car rental facility.

Pup seems well. Hope she stays happy while I'm away. Wife and I plan on conducting Facebook Messenger calls so pup can see my ugly face and hear my voice.

We'll check in later. Wishing happiness and health for all our fellow D-League members.

106560649_2970846356316849_5187425488282173367_n.jpg

Good Saturday Morning

Today's weather is a typical summer pattern. We start this morning at 73° and will climb to 86° by mid afternoon. We will have the usual 30-50% chance of thunderstorms and rain. If it comes it will be hard and over within 30 minutes or so.

One of my cousins wife died and relatives from all over are headed down here. He lives in Turkey Creek, FL which is about 65 miles away. He has a brother about 10 miles from me and we will meet over there for a quick "reunion". Those who live far away have requested we have an old fashion Florida meal we all grew up with (for old times sake). We are talking fried seafood, swamp cabbage, hush puppies, pork chops, fried chicken, grits and tomato gravy, collards and cornbread. Plus a bunch of other stuff like banana pudding that we were all raised on. Some live in places that have never heard of some of those things.

I look forward to seeing everyone but not under these conditions. But as they say life goes on and she was a good woman, very attractive and a good wife and mother. She was taken too soon but cancer does not pay attention to age. I sure hope it can be cured someday.

I trust all are well and Austin has a nice trip back to his home state.

This is what I requested for one of the dishes the women folks fix.

Shrimp-and-Grits-Southern-Style_ExtraLarge1000_ID-3076402.jpg

Good morning D-League. It's currently 72° and cloudy here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring thunderstorms and a high of 85°.

Everyone stay safe out there today.

MAIN-PHOTO_General-Store.jpg
Looks like the original that burned down some 5 years ago. Rebuilt to be identical, but doubt they could get the paint job that beat up yet. Been there 2-3X.

Good morning D-League. It's currently 72° and cloudy here in Eastern Kentucky. This afternoon will bring thunderstorms and a high of 85°.

Everyone stay safe out there today.

MAIN-PHOTO_General-Store.jpg
Ha. Thanks for memories of Rabbit Hash.

We used to drive due west down the Ohio River from my little town to Rabbit Hash when I was a teenager during our long beer-fueled backroad meanderings on 32-cent a gallon gas. I haven't been to that store in many years, but it was a good place to drop by back in the day. I hope they've kept it as it used to be.

While Rabbit Hash takes great pains to remain "country" there are some wealthy people who have very expensive homes on the bluffs of the Ohio River just outside the town. The former CEO of the Cincinnati-based Scripps Howard newspaper chain lived there back in the 1990s when I worked as that chains' war reporter (a job held from 1942 until 1945 by the world famous Ernie Pyle, I'm proud to note.)

It is partly cloudy and 83.3°F on our way to a humid 89°F. We only have a 50% chance of rain and I have already quit praying for rain as my grass is already going dormant, so the damage is done. Plus I bet we beat the crap out of 89° before the day is done.

Good luck Sawnee to the grand daughter. I bet that they will challenge her.

You all have a wonderful Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT