ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Buffalo are basically cows.
Finally got a chance to respond. Yes it's true both the bison and cattle are bovines and can interbreed, but are very very different creatures. A better analogy would be comparing wolves to dogs. Bison are much smarter than cattle, Bulls actively defend their herd from wolves and bear. Aggressively remove fencing restricting migratory movement of their herd. Bison with their a circumpolar bio-geographical distribution have adapted to harsh winter conditions of these habitats. For example, the huge muscular shoulders and hump allow using the massive head to shovel deep snow from side to side to expose and access available forage resources. A bison herd will delay calving during blizzard conditions until hazardous storm conditions pass. They synchronize calving limiting the newborn calves availability to predation. They grow to 2000 lb animals foraging on prairie grasses without the benefit of grain fed feed lots. The meat is leaner and healthier for human consumption. You're absolutely correct about the dry mismanaged desert scrubland, desert grassland and chaparral environments. Bison, Elk, Bighorn, Donkey, Horses, Feral Hogs, and Bigfoot are all limited by in Arizona by the availability of free water habitats. All can really stress these resources. Accordingly these animals seek alternate source of water during seasonal droughts bringing them into conflict with humans.

:cool2: What Lola sees in the mirror.
minnesota-wolf-attack.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to respond. Yes it's true both the bison and cattle are bovines and can interbreed, but are very very different creatures. A better analogy would be comparing wolves to dogs. Bison are much smarter than cattle, Bulls actively defend their herd from wolves and bear. Aggressively remove fencing restricting migratory movement of their herd. Bison with their a circumpolar bio-geographical distribution have adapted to harsh winter conditions of these habitats. For example, the huge muscular shoulders and hump allow using the massive head to shovel deep snow from side to side to expose and access available forage resources. A bison herd will delay calving during blizzard conditions until hazardous storm conditions pass. They synchronize calving limiting the newborn calves availability to predation. They grow to 2000 lb animals foraging on prairie grasses without the benefit of grain fed feed lots. The meat is leaner and healthier for human consumption. You're absolutely correct about the dry mismanaged desert scrubland, desert grassland and chaparral environments. Bison, Elk, Bighorn, Donkey, Horses, Feral Hogs, and Bigfoot are all limited by in Arizona by the availability of free water habitats. All can really stress these resources. Accordingly these animal seek alternate source of water during seasonal droughts bringing them into conflict with humans.

:cool2: What Lola sees in the mirror.
minnesota-wolf-attack.jpg

Yep. I have a little Jack Russell who will attack any dog, regardless of size, if he can get loose. Usually comes back limping.

Getting ready to smoke a venison roast. It is about 4 pounds.

My cousin, the hunter, gave me about 20 pound of venison. I usually pass it along to my son, but this year I am going to try cooking some of it myself. He, the hunter, has already taken two deer and they happen to be massive this year. The first one he got was a doe that was 200 pounds, field dressed, and the second was an 8 point buck that was 226 pounds field dressed. Last year he got a 600 pound elk cow, so his freezer space is running out.

I am rubbing it with olive oil, salt, minced garlic and pepper and smoking it with apple wood. I plan on covering it with bacon while I smoke it. I am going to put wine in the water closet of the smoker. I will let you know how things turn out.

Hey D! Busy day yesterday.
The kids are done with finals...I think they're going to do some celebrating for awhile.
One game a week sure does make for a loooooooong week, that aint no lie!
Everybody keep it up....well, you know whut I mean.

Free breakfast this morning....cake for lunch...

Getting ready to smoke a venison roast. It is about 4 pounds.

My cousin, the hunter, gave me about 20 pound of venison. I usually pass it along to my son, but this year I am going to try cooking some of it myself. He, the hunter, has already taken two deer and they happen to be massive this year. The first one he got was a doe that was 200 pounds, field dressed, and the second was an 8 point buck that was 226 pounds field dressed. Last year he got a 600 pound elk cow, so his freezer space is running out.

I am rubbing it with olive oil, salt, minced garlic and pepper and smoking it with apple wood. I plan on covering it with bacon while I smoke it. I am going to put wine in the water closet of the smoker. I will let you know how things turn out.
Damn that sounds good!

Good morning from ATX. Currently 48°F. Heading to 60°F later.

TGIF is R-I-G-H-T !!!!!!!!!

Y'all behave.

30°F and overcast here on its way to a whopping 40°F.

My venison was okay. Not as good a pork. It wasn't the deer's fault that I am not crazy about the taste of deer. My wife likes it better than I do.

My friend, local cop, shot a boar and promised me a roast out of that. Now I really look forward to smoking that.

It wasn't the deer's fault that I am not crazy about the taste of deer.
Knowing you weren't born last night, I'm sure you're aware of field dressing dos and don'ts but all readers may not be. That is the a key factor for processing wild game as well as the cooking techniques. DON'T PROCRASTINATE FIELD DRESS ASAP. Linky Linky2

Knowing you weren't born last night, I'm sure you're aware of field dressing dos and don'ts but all readers may not be. That is the a key factor for processing wild game as well as the cooking techniques. DON'T PROCRASTINATE FIELD DRESS ASAP. Linky Linky2
Yeap, my cousin that gives me the wild game is expert from elk, bear, deer, wood chuck, quail, dove and turkey.

He is now 59 years old. He has a John Deer all terrain vehicle he tows behind his truck when he hunts large game. He field dresses the deer as soon as he gets to the deer and then puts it on the atv. Bad knees favors rapid field dressing to lessen the weight. Plus he will not hunt when it is going to be warm as he want the meat.

He bought an old hill side farm next to Mammoth Cave national park just to hunt on. Additionally he owns 400 acres in Barren and Metcalfe counties with 150 acres of wood. He has a large section of that farm in natural grasses that the State of Kentucky pays for him to keep in the original "barrens" grasses. http://bluegrasswoodland.com/uploads/Historical_Notes_on_the_Big_Barrens.pdf
The man's life revolves around hunting and the outdoors. He puts his resources behind his love.

I love elk. Both are similar, but my taste buds love elk and do not get terribly excited about the taste of deer.

Checking in .........
  • Likes applied
  • Deer meat ......... Dad gave us a bunch of deer steaks. I had no idea how to cook this meat so I grilled them on the charcoal grill. We could not chew the stuff. I gave them to our Scottish Terrier. I think he ate them all. But it made him sick as a ......... well ... a dog.
  • That's it.
  • Take care.
  • Carry on.

Happy 18th to your son! I remember my 18th (barely). Freshman year at UK, November 1978. Felt like death warmed over the next day.

Cold and clear in Smiths Grove. 31.8°F now with sun. I mowed one last time yesterday to get rid of all the remaining leaves. I am always awed by how much the grass grows in cold weather.

I look forward to the game. I also don't like the early games. (grumpy old man!)

MD Cat Happy Birthday to your Son. The Marines, The Few, The Proud!

ADVERTISEMENT