ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Squirrel dumplings were actually pretty good.
When I was a kid among my favorite meals was Mammaw's Squirrel Pies. Hmmm. The dumplin's too!
chix%20pot%20pie1.jpg
The game animals were farmed. Family hunted groves of mast trees they had planted. Got better squirrels that way.

when I was young, I soon found that killing animals was not for me.

Same for me...I'm not a hunter. I don't like guns & I don't like killing things.

I'm not against hunting or guns...you can have 3,000 guns as far as I'm concerned and I'm glad there are people that like to hunt. I'm just not one of 'em.

I look forward to basketball season like some people look forward to hunting season.

Try it out on a Robin.
I did that too, Except I killed it. Got to clean,cook and then eat it. Tasted like dirt, I don't know if that was psychological or real but after that I wasn't confused and only killed with specific intent and while eating was definitively among the valid reasons for killing. Sport wasn't.
Basketball was sport. If we're playing and I could steal the ball, guess what happened . . . I became a thief. I never took a shot I thought I going to miss. I was a better hunter than basketball player. For me, killing wasn't sport it was easy because I knew why and that it's serious stuff. I still hunt . . . with binoculars. Even though I'm not an active deer hunter (too much work), Bambi still has a reservation in my freezer. But since I've become partial to bison and elk, Bambi's off the hook.

They can be destructive I know. but I love watching these little creatures hustle most of the time. I put up a squirrel house in one of our trees years ago. It is still up there. I made it out of Oak. Dad took me squirrel hunting when I was young, but I soon found that killing animals was not for me. We ate what Dad killed so that was a little better. Mom would cook whatever Dad came in with. Squirrel dumplings were actually pretty good.

Squirrel dumplings are wonderful.

Good morning from ATX. We've got 39°F. Warming to 67°F later.

Hunting: Have not been since 1996. Possess 10 firearms here, and several at my brother's place in FL, but have not shot them since just before retiring in early 2001. More of a live and let live guy these days.

I got nothing else. Y'all behave.

I love guns and I used to love to hunt. The last hunt that I was on was in 1966. I have two pistols and 4 rifles. Two of the rifles are priceless to me.

Many folks around here hunt all the time. I get deer and wild turkey given to me quite often. I prefer the turkey. As Al Purnell says "its good".

22°F here. Frost and clear skies.

"Blue skies smilin' at me
Nothin' but blue skies do I see
Bluebirds singin' a song
Nothin' but bluebirds all day long
Never saw the sun shinin' so bright
Never saw things goin' so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When you're in love, my how they fly"

A true Clark Griswold performance by me today.

We have a Christmas tree that is not only massive, it's remarkably dense and heavy. I swear the thing weighs 150 pounds. So my wife notices a slight list today, and I realize the thing is shifting in the stand. I get her and my sleepy teenager to hold it this morning while I try to re-set it in the stand. As soon as I get in a crouch and touch the stand screws the tree plunges toward the ground, with my wife and son playing the role of innocent bystanders. I manage to reach out from a crouch and arrest the fall, but now I feel like someone took an axe to my spine.

Last edited:
If you are familiar to this area...you been warned!

My friend tried to warn me, but I didn’t listen. Hopefully you will. There’s a guy on dixie by valley st rd who is asking for places to stay because it’s getting cold out, so I took him into our home last night out of the kindness of my heart. I felt sorry for him because he looked so distraught. Poor guy was just standing out in the cold wind shivering. But this morning he just vanished. Not a word. Not even a goodbye or a thank you for putting a warm roof over his head. To make matters worse, he had peed all over the living room floor! That's the thanks I get for being good to people?!?! So I'm warning all my friends to watch out for this guy. He is heavy set, wearing nothing but a scarf and a top hat, has a nose that looks like a carrot, two black eyes, and his arms are so skinny they look like sticks. He goes by the street name “Frosty”. Don't bring him into your house! Hope this made you smile ! Merry Christmas !!

Morning D
Baby it’s COLD outside (bet you’re singing it in your head now) at 19 degrees
Y’all ready for Christmas? I’m nowhere near
Be glad when we don’t have to wait a week between games
Time for more coffee

Agree. Week between games should be illegal. I really like this team. Kind of team that can win the whole dance. Plays as a unit. Many scorers. Never know who's gonna get 20 plus. FCC.

Bison2017_2.jpg

The Grand Canyon bison herd of approximately 500 strong will be culled by 50% to 60% by hunting the adjacent Kaibab National Forest to control the ecosystem impact of their overgrazing of endangered plants the next 3 to 5 years. The plants do need protection from the bison. Management needed is actually a couple wolf packs to keep them wild, moving and not let them degenerate into lazy overprotected government cows. Ranchers complain about both bison and wolves. Demand expensive management protocols and compensation for their existence. One steer consumes about the same as a bison, 2 elk or 5 deer. Less than 3% of beef is produced by grazing public land at the cost of billions of dollars to taxpayers. Repeal of the obsolete Taylor Grazing Act is warranted. The bison, elk and deer are much more valuable. Their use for tourism and recreational harvest through hunting produce much far greater economic returns to rural communities than ranching, and a much healthier ecosystem to boot. I see cars lined up to see and photograph Arizona's herds of elk and bison. Cattle not so much. The ranching welfare of public land administration needs to phased out, not bequeathed to a next generation of ranchers. Another instance of institutionalized corrupt political decisions fleecing taxpayers.

If you are familiar to this area...you been warned!

My friend tried to warn me, but I didn’t listen. Hopefully you will. There’s a guy on dixie by valley st rd who is asking for places to stay because it’s getting cold out, so I took him into our home last night out of the kindness of my heart. I felt sorry for him because he looked so distraught. Poor guy was just standing out in the cold wind shivering. But this morning he just vanished. Not a word. Not even a goodbye or a thank you for putting a warm roof over his head. To make matters worse, he had peed all over the living room floor! That's the thanks I get for being good to people?!?! So I'm warning all my friends to watch out for this guy. He is heavy set, wearing nothing but a scarf and a top hat, has a nose that looks like a carrot, two black eyes, and his arms are so skinny they look like sticks. He goes by the street name “Frosty”. Don't bring him into your house! Hope this made you smile ! Merry Christmas !!
There must have been some magic in .........

Bison2017_2.jpg

The Grand Canyon bison herd of approximately 500 strong will be culled by 50% to 60% by hunting the adjacent Kaibab National Forest to control the ecosystem impact of their overgrazing of endangered plants the next 3 to 5 years. The plants do need protection from the bison. Management needed is actually a couple wolf packs to keep them wild, moving and not let them degenerate into lazy overprotected government cows. Ranchers complain about both bison and wolves. Demand expensive management protocols and compensation for their existence. One steer consumes about the same as a bison, 2 elk or 5 deer. Less than 3% of beef is produced by grazing public land at the cost of billions of dollars to taxpayers. Repeal of the obsolete Taylor Grazing Act is warranted. The bison, elk and deer are much more valuable. Their use for tourism and recreational harvest through hunting produce much far greater economic returns to rural communities than ranching, and a much healthier ecosystem to boot. I see cars lined up to see and photograph Arizona's herds of elk and bison. Cattle not so much. The ranching welfare of public land administration needs to phased out, not bequeathed to a next generation of ranchers. Another instance of institutionalized corrupt political decisions fleecing taxpayers.

I basically agree.

I don't want to piss off my friends; however, why do we grow cattle in the arid west?

In Kentucky we can have 1000 bison on 100 acres. The arid west can't grow shit.

If West Texas can grow one cow per acre. Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Mississippi, Georgia & Alabama can grow 10 (actually it is more). this is a year around number.

Why do we, as a nation, do this shit? (Hint: the arid west lives off lies.)

One of my best friends, in the Lions club, raised "beefalo". They are 5/8th beef and 3/8th buffalo. Buffalo thrive in Kentucky and barely make it in the arid west. Why do we as a government make economic decisions on supporting crap that will not work in a damned desert?

We need to wake up and use our land as it best suits what we want to produce.

Bison2017_2.jpg

I basically agree.

I don't want to piss off my friends; however, why do we grow cattle in the arid west?

In Kentucky we can have 1000 bison on 100 acres. The arid west can't grow shit.

If West Texas can grow one cow per acre. Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Mississippi, Georgia & Alabama can grow 10 (actually it is more). this is a year around number.

Why do we, as a nation, do this shit? (Hint: the arid west lives off lies.)

One of my best friends, in the Lions club, raised "beefalo". They are 5/8th beef and 3/8th buffalo. Buffalo thrive in Kentucky and barely make it in the arid west. Why do we as a government make economic decisions on supporting crap that will not work in a damned desert?

We need to wake up and use our land as it best suits what we want to produce.

Rooster and Bert you both have so much information in you post. The Buffalo are featured in TVA's Land Between the Lakes. Bison is delicious meat served at times at KY Dam State Park restaurant. I can see how the native Americans hated how settlers and hired guns depleted the natural heard only for the hides. I thought I was big but they are huge wild animals!

Rooster and Bert you both have so much information in you post. The Buffalo are featured in TVA's Land Between the Lakes. Bison is delicious meat served at times at KY Dam State Park restaurant. I can see how the native Americans hated how settlers and hired guns depleted the natural heard only for the hides. I thought I was big but they are huge wild animals!
Buffalo are basically cows.

You can breed the two and produce offspring.

I once did a taste test. I (dumb ass) could not distinguish between buffalo and beef. Even (even bigger dumb ass) I could not distinguish between elk and beef.

Because of the cost; I now eat good angus beef. Best rib steaks on earth are angus beef.

Buffalo are basically cows.

You can breed the two and produce offspring.

I once did a taste test. I (dumb ass) could not distinguish between buffalo and beef. Even (even bigger dumb ass) I could not distinguish between elk and beef.

Because of the cost; I now eat good angus beef. Best rib steaks on earth are angus beef.
I have a first cousin that raises Angus beef cattle. I asked him how he chose Angus. He replied "because they are popular."

Morning D
Baby it’s COLD outside (bet you’re singing it in your head now) at 19 degrees
Y’all ready for Christmas? I’m nowhere near
Be glad when we don’t have to wait a week between games
Time for more coffee
I'm almost ready for Christmas. Have to more gifts to buy and we're finished. I hate having to wait so long for games but I sure look forward to seeing this team improve as the season progresses. This team has a chance to be really good in March.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT