ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

wx_69.png
50°➫ 77° Crisp, Mostly Cloudy, Dry.

04689-Joshua-trees-at-sunrise.jpg

a307ff1a-9590-478b-942e-042f7af448ac.gif

Good Morning

Good morning from ATX. Currently 46°F. Heading into the mid-70s. Clear.

Guess we have a long week until the Va Tech game next Saturday. Should be a good one.

I've got nothing else. Y'all behave.
25 here and we ain't heading to mid-70's! ....just mid 50's.

It was a good weekend. Duke, Indiana and Kansas lost. The Hoosiers are acting like that was an upset.

Mornin'
Seems like everybody had a good weekend.
Over/under on how many snow angels Don made this weekend?
Bko was all over the board on Saturday. She loves her some college basketball!
My guess is she watched about 15 games...made lunch AND dinner, did 3 loads of laundry, cleaned out a closet, and made a batch of cookies all while keeping up with the threads...
Good luck murph_23 on the CDL test.

C'mon Bert! That ain't how you make a snow angel!
anigif_sub-buzz-3974-1483887762-3.gif

Very sad. The young man is getting a ton of celebrity support though.
Maybe some thug will find out who is bullying him and go beat the little shit a new ass hole.

I was once bullied and went to my dad with my problem. He told me that I had a 34" Yogi Berra base ball bat and he advised that I tell Dallas (the bully) I was going to hunt him down with my bat.

Dallas walked in the middle of the street for three month afraid that I would hide and get him. The bastard never bullied me again.

Just watched "It's a Wonderful Life" for the 300th time. And yet, when George's brother Harry rushes in from the blizzard and says, "Here's to my big brother George, the richest man in town!" my eyes got dusty yet again.

I've studied that scene practically frame by frame and I still can't figure out how Frank Capra manipulates me every time.
I enjoy it every time. That Mr. Potter was an evil man.

Perhaps not directly related, but there has been a spate of teen/adolescent suicides in my adopted county in Maryland -- at least five have been reported in roughly two weeks, and I suspect there are some that are under the news radar. Scary for parents of two teen-agers. At least where I live, it has gotten a lot tougher for young people. Bullying is an issue for some kids, but also the absurd expectations of some parents in places like my county. I'm sure all you parents are alert to signs of social disengagement and lack of enthusiasm for things that were important. I don't think it hurts to bring it up directly, either.

Growing up I was smallish always and would get bullied from time to time. Dad taught me how to fight. I didn't win every fight, but when the bullies found out that I would fight the bullying stopped. Once I whipped a kid that was bigger than I was, but a year younger than me. He went home and got his big brother who was a year older than I was and much bigger. I thought I was dead. We squared off and I landed a few times, and he quit. That was a happy day.

About bullying
It breaks my heart. My son is bullied pretty badly
Here is the problem more than anything now: the bullied kids aren’t ALLOWED to stand up for themselves. If they do, they get in trouble for fighting. The schools have an anti bullying policy. But that means the kids have to tell. You guys understand, I’m sure, the stigma of being a tattle tale; it gets them worse treatment.
Kids like my son are between a rock and a hard place. They can take it and not say anything or they can tell and be ostracized for it. Then you have the situation where if it’s a “special needs” student (which includes anger issues btw) that does the bullying, virtually nothing is done, because they can’t be punished for having issues
I’ve told my boy: if it’s just words, ignore it. If they try to get in your face, try to walk away. If they hit you, flatten them. He won’t get in trouble with us for defending himself EVER

Scary thing happened just last week; my sons best friend is in the same boat. He’s had problems with certain kids just like my boy has. Well last week he was shoved hard into a table by one of these bullies. He wouldn’t have said anything but for the pain he ended up having. You see, this child has a pacemaker. When he was shoved into the table, it dislodged the pacemaker from the sleeve in his chest. He ended up in the hospital that afternoon. His mother went to the school only to be told they couldn’t punish the child who did it because he is special needs.

About bullying
Here is the problem more than anything now: the bullied kids aren’t ALLOWED to stand up for themselves. If they do, they get in trouble for fighting. The schools have an anti bullying policy. But that means the kids have to tell. You guys understand, I’m sure, the stigma of being a tattle tale; it gets them worse treatment.
Kids like my son are between a rock and a hard place. They can take it and not say anything or they can tell and be ostracized for it. Then you have the situation where if it’s a “special needs” student (which includes anger issues btw) that does the bullying, virtually nothing is done, because they can’t be punished for having issues
I’ve told my boy: if it’s just words, ignore it. If they try to get in your face, try to walk away. If they hit you, flatten them. He won’t get in trouble with us for defending himself EVER

Scary thing happened just last week; my sons best friend is in the same boat. He’s had problems with certain kids just like my boy has. Well last week he was shoved hard into a table by one of these bullies. He wouldn’t have said anything but for the pain he ended up having. You see, this child has a pacemaker. When he was shoved into the table, it dislodged the pacemaker from the sleeve in his chest. He ended up in the hospital that afternoon. His mother went to the school only to be told they couldn’t punish the child who did it because he is special needs.

I spent a year substitute teaching. I learned pretty quickly to only sub K-4th Grade. Any higher and it was a zoo. I feel sorry for teachers. They are not allowed to discipline their students in any effective way at all (at least where I taught - in CA)..

Last edited:
About bullying

Parents must feel helpless at times during these difficult situations. You and your husband are obviously handling it the right way.

Very much in the Alistair Sim camp myself. But I'll watch any version. And I read the book every couple years. Great tale.
The 1951 Alistair Sim version follows the book more accurately. Great flick! The 1938 version strayed a bit but I still like it better. They're all good. How can anyone not like A Christmas Carol?

Last edited:
Good morning from ATX. Currently 50°F. Warming to the mid-60s. We've got another cold front inbound. Looking at a light freeze early tomorrow.

I ordered a bunch of cell-phone related accessories off Amazon last night. Paid for it with Amazon gift cards from my Job Spotter gig. May order a new laptop soon.

At any rate, life is good. Y'all behave.

The 1951 Alistair Sim version follows the book more accurately. Great flick! The 1938 version strayed a bit but I still like it better. They're all good. How can anyone not like A Christmas Carol?
Yeah, its an elegant little tale. In Washington, they have a production every year in Ford's Theatre. I've been a couple times. As a history buff and a Dickens fan, that's always a good night.

Brisk morning here in Eville...
Watched all of the MNF game last night...I love watching the Patriots lose.
I had the same feeling when IP Ft. Wayne beat IU last year...
Oh well, gotta go, stay warm, drink coffee....like I need to tell you to drink your coffee.

Brrrrr....jpg

Brrrrrrrrr
They can be destructive I know. but I love watching these little creatures hustle most of the time. I put up a squirrel house in one of our trees years ago. It is still up there. I made it out of Oak. Dad took me squirrel hunting when I was young, but I soon found that killing animals was not for me. We ate what Dad killed so that was a little better. Mom would cook whatever Dad came in with. Squirrel dumplings were actually pretty good.

When Dad was young he used to hunt with Paw Paw's old shotgun, a 12 gauge. He lost the trigger guard and replaced it with the trigger guard from a muzzle-loader. I still have it. That TG is huge. When Dad was a young boy, he worked and saved until he had $7.00 and bought a .22 out of the Sears catalog. I still have that old single shot too.

when I was young, I soon found that killing animals was not for me.

Same for me...I'm not a hunter. I don't like guns & I don't like killing things.

I'm not against hunting or guns...you can have 3,000 guns as far as I'm concerned and I'm glad there are people that like to hunt. I'm just not one of 'em.

I look forward to basketball season like some people look forward to hunting season.

ADVERTISEMENT