ADVERTISEMENT

D-League

Continuing on...so here's me in the mountains of NC. By Day 4, even I'm getting a little bit bored. At this point, you have to entertain yourself. At least the married/SO folks have each other. So Mr Wolf (me) decides to see if there's any Little Red Riding Hoods out and about. As I go back to my suite to change into something suitable for walking, there's a housekeeper in my suite. I size her up. The only word to describe this woman is 'round'. She wasn't fat, or chunky, or anything like that. EVERYTHING about her was round. Her hairdo was round. Her head was round. Her face was round. Of course, her bosom was round. Her hips were round. I didn't want to interrupt her so I grabbed the newspaper and waited until she was finished so I could change clothes.

Making small talk, her name was Olivia and she was from Honduras. It's impossible to figure out how old a Latina is once they pass young womanhood so I didn't even try to. She giggled tho. A lot. It was cute. And when her two coworkers came by to see if she was done so they could have lunch, part of me wanted to go full werewolf and devour all three. The feeling passed tho...maybe I'm evolving into a middle aged man now!

Friday finally arrived, I had a huge breakfast, we had our last lecture, and 36 attendees put schoolkids out on summer break to shame getting the hell out of Dodge! Would I do this on my own with my own money? Hell to the naw, but you can't beat free!
Have fun, Ghost. One of my aunts owns a place near Linville NC. Nice area.

Enjoy!

This afternoon as I commuted via 400, I-85 South, on the 400 to I-85 exit I saw this car parked at a weird angle, driver's side door open (I actually thought the driver had crashed) with not a soul in sight. I figure the driver had some kind of intestinal emergency, but ......... I'll never know. I did chuckle a little, Poor guy/gal.

Science Break:

The raw material to create stars for millions of years is captured in this stunning photo. Located in the constellation Vulpecula, or Little Fox.The region (pictured here in infrared wavelengths) births some of the biggest stars in the galaxy. These gigantic O and B type stars have much more mass than the sun, up to 16 times more for B stars and up to a staggering 100 times more for O stars, and their lives are significantly shorter for it.
little-fox-herschel.jpg

(click image to expand)
These stars last only a few million years before exhausting their fuel, collapsing and exploding as supernovas, triggering the next batch of stellar births in the region. Because they are so short-lived, the presence of a large number of them in one place signals intense ongoing star formation. The interesting part of this image is that the filaments of glowing interstellar gas seen here as red and orange threads are part of a vast, structured web that stretches across all of the galaxy's star-forming regions

Science Break:

The raw material to create stars for millions of years is captured in this stunning photo. Located in the constellation Vulpecula, or Little Fox.The region (pictured here in infrared wavelengths) births some of the biggest stars in the galaxy. These gigantic O and B type stars have much more mass than the sun, up to 16 times more for B stars and up to a staggering 100 times more for O stars, and their lives are significantly shorter for it.
little-fox-herschel.jpg

(click image to expand)
These stars last only a few million years before exhausting their fuel, collapsing and exploding as supernovas, triggering the next batch of stellar births in the region. Because they are so short-lived, the presence of a large number of them in one place signals intense ongoing star formation. The interesting part of this image is that the filaments of glowing interstellar gas seen here as red and orange threads are part of a vast, structured web that stretches across all of the galaxy's star-forming regions
th

Correct me if I'm wrong caftan, but those white dots would be the fully developed stars of the Milky Galaxy, would they not? And if you were far enough away, wouldn't the entire galaxy appear to be a white blob?

Your not wrong. Depending on distance you are observing from. Vulpecula, in the photo, is in the Milky Way. It is 297 light years (relatively close) away from us.

Looking back at us from there you would see less red and orange and more bright white dots.
That view reminds me a little of my freshman year in college. Got drunk for the first time on Bacardi 151 and Mountain Dew. When I laid down on my bed and closed my eyes -flashing stars rotating in circles........we didn't have to spend all that money on Hubble
Just buy me a couple of bottles of rum

Headed back home to the bluegrass state for a few days!!!!!. My dad Bday is the 4th ( so is my anniversary ) We have other family coming in from New York and Florida I haven't been around since I was young
It's funny having southern accents and thick New York Italian accents in the same room.

I hope I can score some fresh KY wonder green beans and silver queen corn while I'm there

Headed back home to the bluegrass state for a few days!!!!!. My dad Bday is the 4th ( so is my anniversary ) We have other family coming in from New York and Florida I haven't been around since I was young
It's funny having southern accents and thick New York Italian accents in the same room.

I hope I can score some fresh KY wonder green beans and silver queen corn while I'm there
Lucky. Have fun.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT