ADVERTISEMENT

Cramer says no to expensive sports tickets

Catfanlou

Sophomore
Oct 30, 2014
Cramer who is richer than most of us on this board list expensive sports tickets as one of five things he never purchases .

I just wondered how each of you felt about that . Interestingly, my tailgate crew consisting of a bunch of old farts who can well afford it
stopped going to the Champions classic because they “ were turned off” “ felt taken advantage of “ by $ 400 plus tickets . One friend
commented “$1000 bucks to see a game I can c better on TV ? Even though I can afford it , knowing where I came from it just makes me feel guilty . “

I suppose the powers that b will sell tickets at that price as long as fans will buy them. However, I wonder if perhaps they are killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Are these prices out of control ? Are they unreasonably asking fans to pay for outrageous salaries of coaches and administrators? Are they trying to have their cake and eat it too by having huge TV deals and also jacking up ticket prices to unreasonable levels? I think so . Just wondered what people on this board felt?

Should we be surprised that Kramer doesn't want to pay?

its-too-much-seinfeld-kramer.gif

Yeah. To a point. But when gas in my city is thirty cents higher than the city with an INTERSTATE running through it I call shenanigans.
That’s not surprising. Interstate towns commonly have cheaper gas because of more competition and supply.

Hard to price gouge when you’ve got multiple competing stations at the same exit.

Who cares about what Coke Rat thinks?? I’d let my dog pick stocks for me before I’d let that asshat get anywhere near my portfolio. He’s not rich because he’s smart, he’s rich because he’s a paid shill.
Yes. The stock market is mostly people investing in low fee, index funds. This is based on the apparently surprising discovery that nobody can see the future and you're better off just increasing your wealth at the same rate as society at large. Anybody pretending to foreknowledge is a conman.

What a weird thing for Cramer to opine on. I guess I get it though. Making money is what makes him happy.

Your mileage may vary, as they say.

I’ve spent plenty on UK football and basketball games, NBA playoff games, NFL, MLB, and NHL games. I like sports. I like to see live games. I don’t like sitting in crappy nosebleed seats. I will pay more for good seats.

I haven’t missed a UK basketball game in New York City since Cal has been at UK. I had $800 tickets for the East Regional in Philly this year. (Yea I did sell them).

I’ve also spent a couple thousand dollars on concert tickets in the last 2 years. Haven’t regretted it for a second. Live music is my therapy and stress relief. I missed it terribly during Covid.

Yeah, I could have made some more money if I had invested all those dollars. But I don’t need it. I need fun!

Reactions: ukfan041
Supply and demand. It’s a concept everyone should be familiar with.
Perhaps... but I see it more as the haves and the have-nots. Luckily we have program that is on T.V. for just about every game. If not, many UK fans might only get to see 10-15 games a year, even those who live near Lexington.

Supply and demand. It’s a concept everyone should be familiar with.

Yea except for the fact that attendance is going down and demand is not what it was. Ticket prices are staying high becaause they have have other avenues of money streams. This isn’t a supply and demand issue. You’re oversimplifying this as usual.

Luckily I have a good friend that is generous to offer my family great sports seats. He’s been good to us and kept me from having to miss out or sit in the heavens to watch.

I could be worth 10 times what I am. I’m just not going to pay some of these prices for a family of 4. I’d rather buy a dirt bike.

Reactions: drbubba
My wife agrees with Cramer: Never buy expensive sports tickets. On the other hand, she spends hundreds of dollars on Broadway tickets a couple times a year, and spends more to take the Acela from DC to NYC for the day to use them. That's totally worth it to her.

Me, on the other hand, I'm the exact opposite. So, it depends on what one considers "worth it." And who knows what Cramer finds "worth it?" Is he even a casual sports fan? Maybe he'd spend $1,000 for a ticket to go see Das Rheingold at the Metropolitan Opera House. Seems like a pointless thing for him to say.

My husband dropped $500 on tickets to see The Music Man on Broadway for my Christmas gift. Best money he could have spent. Was one of the best shows we’ve seen in our 40 years together. Luckily we both like Broadway shows and we live in driving distance. These tickets are hideously expensive now, but the memories of seeing the biggest stars on stage will last a lifetime.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
It's one of those things where some people prefer to put their money towards experiences while others prefer to buy material things.

It's really a matter of preference IMO

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Who cares about what Coke Rat thinks?? I’d let my dog pick stocks for me before I’d let that asshat get anywhere near my portfolio. He’s not rich because he’s smart, he’s rich because he’s a paid shill.

This is true. You can do better by utilizing Reddit than listening to this guy tell you what advertisers want you to invest in.

Reactions: Cats192
This. Dude is rich because of all the fees he's made charging people to manage hedge funds.

If he truly had the ability to predict the market, he wouldn't be wasting his time talking in front of a TV camera.

This. Dude is rich because of all the fees he's made charging people to manage hedge funds.

If he truly had the ability to predict the market, he wouldn't be wasting his time talking in front of a TV camera.
This, plus he’s really an entertainer more than an investment guru. He honks horns, screams, shouts and says weird things. Which is the real source of the success he’s had on that show. Today’s typical short-attention-span American would rather watch his act than someone who’s smarter but more boring.

Similar to the reason why so many oddballs have been elected politically in recent years. Voters today seem to want to be entertained almost more than they want serious earnest responsible leadership.

Reactions: G-PIP
I'd rather spend money on the football program personally... as for the most part they have to commit to 3 years with the program. I don't really want to spend cash on one n done players.

Refs make college basketball hard to watch honestly... if I didn't grow up a UK fan not sure how interested I'd really be in CBB.

I did shell out $$$ to go see the Bengals in the SB this year... put a winning product on the field they will come out.

We’ll be able to get into Rupp pretty cheap this season, even the Kansas and Louisville games. Not a bad seat in there except the baseline bleachers. Cal will be lucky if the student sections up there are 25% full besides those two games. The banner side should be as those are mostly season ticket holders. But UK ticket office were begging people to buy season tickets last year.

Last edited:
That’s not surprising. Interstate towns commonly have cheaper gas because of more competition and supply.

Hard to price gouge when you’ve got multiple competing stations at the same exit.
I guess. I’ve always heard the opposite. More demand in interstate exits due to naturally occurring customer base. Therefore higher price for more net gain.

Who the hell knows anymore.

I'd rather spend money on the football program personally... as for the most part they have to commit to 3 years with the program. I don't really want to spend cash on one n done players.

Refs make college basketball hard to watch honestly... if I didn't grow up a UK fan not sure how interested I'd really be in CBB.

I did shell out $$$ to go see the Bengals in the SB this year... put a winning product on the field they will come out.

I get what you’re but we literally have Cal’s most experienced team. We had two one n dones last year. That was it.

My family has had Kentucky season tickets for both Football and Basketball since the 60's. I rarely go to games anymore and if were up to me I would turn them in. My sons pay for them now. I would never pay that much.
My oldest works for the NFL. He called me to tell me he got me 4 tickets to the Bengals-Dolphins Thursday night game in Cincinnati. He told me if he paid for them, 4 tickets were 1200 dollars. No way in hell I would spend that to watch a game. It has got way out of hand. I'm getting old and would rather just sit in my recliner and watch

My family has had Kentucky season tickets for both Football and Basketball since the 60's. I rarely go to games anymore and if were up to me I would turn them in. My sons pay for them now. I would never pay that much.
My oldest works for the NFL. He called me to tell me he got me 4 tickets to the Bengals-Dolphins Thursday night game in Cincinnati. He told me if he paid for them, 4 tickets were 1200 dollars. No way in hell I would spend that to watch a game. It has got way out of hand. I'm getting old and would rather just sit in my recliner and watch

Oh god. As a Dolphins fan that was planning on going to that Thursday night football game, 300 dollars is a bit too much IMO lol.

Reactions: ace on the river
More demand in interstate exits due to naturally occurring customer base. Therefore higher price for more net gain.
No offense, but your logic is flawed. You’re ignoring the fact that more “naturally occurring customer base” inevitably also leads to more stations/supply in those spots. You don’t see four competing gas stations right next to each other on rural roads, but you do on interstate exits. More supply and competition leads to lower prices, that’s just basic Econ 101.

I’m kinda surprised that you’re surprised by this. Interstate stations having better prices than more isolated ones is something I’d always considered normal.

Cramer who is richer than most of us on this board list expensive sports tickets as one of five things he never purchases .

I just wondered how each of you felt about that . Interestingly, my tailgate crew consisting of a bunch of old farts who can well afford it
stopped going to the Champions classic because they “ were turned off” “ felt taken advantage of “ by $ 400 plus tickets . One friend
commented “$1000 bucks to see a game I can c better on TV ? Even though I can afford it , knowing where I came from it just makes me feel guilty . “

I suppose the powers that b will sell tickets at that price as long as fans will buy them. However, I wonder if perhaps they are killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

Are these prices out of control ? Are they unreasonably asking fans to pay for outrageous salaries of coaches and administrators? Are they trying to have their cake and eat it too by having huge TV deals and also jacking up ticket prices to unreasonable levels? I think so . Just wondered what people on this board felt?

Ticket prices are insane nowadays.

I haven't been to a Bengals game in years because they were bad and didn't want to waste my money on it.

Well I decided I wanted to go to a game this upcoming season. Bought two in corner lower level for wife and I ($375 total) for Nov 6th game vs Carolina.

It then occurred to me in several years when we would actually take our 3 oldest kids that purchase will be near $1000 (God help us all when our baby daughter is old enough, tack on another $200).

$1000 for a family to go to a game. Lol...I do well for myself but that is just ridiculous. That isn't even including food, merch, drinks, etc.

I fully anticipate we will spend at least $100 at the game on food/beverage and that will probably be 2 hotdogs and 4 beers total.

It is totally out of control.

Hard to justify when we are still able to watch on 80" TV in basement for the cost of a cable subscription.

Last edited:
I haven’t missed a UK basketball game in New York City since Cal has been at UK. I had $800 tickets for the East Regional in Philly this year. (Yea I did sell them).

I’ve also spent a couple thousand dollars on concert tickets in the last 2 years. Haven’t regretted it for a second. Live music is my therapy and stress relief. I missed it terribly during Covid.
Lol are you me? Exact same thing with me. I'll go to every UK game in the NYC area and spend way too much of my income on concert tickets. Live music is the one thing I'll pay for regardless of the price.

Not really, one gas station raises prices and the rest do the same. It happens every time. I see one station lower for about a day and then the next boom same price. It’s the days of the internet. You can get up to the second prices. Overall tho the oil cartel is what causes the outrageous prices outside inflation and the market itself.

I load up on beer before the Bengals game at the banks... then buy 1-3 at the game depending on how it's going.

Ticket prices are insane nowadays.

I haven't been to a Bengals game in years because they were bad and didn't want to waste my money on it.

Well I decided I wanted to go to a game this upcoming season. Bought two in corner lower level for wife and I ($375 total) for Nov 6th game vs Carolina.

It then occurred to me in several years when we would actually take our 3 oldest kids that purchase will be near $1000 (God help us all when our baby daughter is old enough, tack on another $200).

$1000 for a family to go to a game. Lol...I do well for myself but that is just ridiculous. That isn't even including food, merch, drinks, etc.

I fully anticipate we will spend at least $100 at the game on food/beverage and that will probably be 2 hotdogs and 4 beers total.

It is totally out of control.

Hard to justify when we are still able to watch on 80" TV in basement for the cost of a cable subscription.

Exactly. On a sheer “cost of time and money vs. value” analysis, it’s hard to think of much that rates worse than pro sports today. Especially if you want to treat your whole family/kids to the full experience.

People still go because we’ve built up team loyalties and feel we should, but I have to think we’re nearing a breaking point where fans are gonna say no more unless prices come WAY down ( and declining attendance suggests that’s already started).

Plus the competing home viewing experience has made it even harder to justify wasting a weekend day fighting traffic and dealing with hassles and costs to watch a game that you could see better from the big ole flat screen in your living room.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
If you can light cigars with $100 bills, it’s your right. I don’t agree but it’s a free country.

It comes down to how you value the experience vs the cost. Myself, I'll watch at home and use that cash on something that better suits my wants/needs. But, it's how you value things and experiences.

Well put.

Cramer is a dirtbag. I once saw him recommend to buy ORCL going into earnings at 30/share. Earnings were bad and it it dropped to 25. At 25, he said he was DONE with ORCL.........2 years later I saw him recommend people buy it at 40 ! He never stands by his word is beyond reckless with his advice.

He's done stuff like this countless times, almost daily. He should be in jail.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT