ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Counting As Forfeits This Season?

SEC said last week games would be forfeits as losses, not rescheduled, postponed or cancelled and the story went pretty much unreported. Whoever Bud Elliott is, he's just now figured it out.

SEC said last week games would be forfeits as losses, not rescheduled, postponed or cancelled and the story went pretty much unreported. Whoever Bud Elliott is, he's just now figured it out.

Got a link? Seems like news that would have major implications.

Got a link? Seems like news that would have major implications.
No, I don't do links. Google SEC Media Days last week, think it was Monday a week ago,

And yes, it is major, that's why I said the story was amazingly un/under reported.

Reactions: jauk11
No, I don't do links. Google SEC Media Days last week, think it was Monday a week ago,

And yes, it is major, that's why I said the story was amazingly un/under reported.

...i looked it up. last week sankey said "may have to forfeit" which is less strong than you implied. i didn't think it was made so black and white last week.

"As Sankey noted, he does not have the power to unilaterally impose a rule such as mandatory forfeits if a school can’t field a team amid an outbreak. That would have to get a sign-off from the conference’s athletic directors."

oh, and i do links ;)

Reactions: mrschwump
...i looked it up. last week sankey said "may have to forfeit" which is less strong than you implied. i didn't think it was made so black and white last week.

"As Sankey noted, he does not have the power to unilaterally impose a rule such as mandatory forfeits if a school can’t field a team amid an outbreak. That would have to get a sign-off from the conference’s athletic directors."

oh, and i do links ;)

I'm just not geeky Sax.

We'll see what happens re forfeits when the rubber meets the road.

Reactions: YaketySax
Good decision. Guys screw over their team, kick them off & pull schollie.

What if the positive cases include vaccinated players and/or coaches?

COVID is so widespread, it isn’t like people have to partaking in some risky behaviors to acquire and/or transmit it.

Reactions: THE_HOOK

COVID is so widespread, it isn’t like people have to partaking in some risky behaviors to acquire and/or transmit it.

As it stands right now, a vaccinated player testing positive shouldn’t be much of an issue based on SEC COVID policy as long as the rest of the team is also fully vaccinated.

Any player who is fully vaccinated is no longer required to be regularly tested, so it’s unlikely they’d be discovered as positive unless they were symptomatic.

Also, fully vaccinated players are no longer required to quarantine if they’re exposed to someone who tests positive.

So if one player tests positive, the rest of the team can still play as long as they’re fully vaccinated and asymptomatic.

Reactions: rojas
As it stands right now, a vaccinated player testing positive shouldn’t be much of an issue based on SEC COVID policy as long as the rest of the team is also fully vaccinated.

Any player who is fully vaccinated is no longer required to be regularly tested, so it’s unlikely they’d be discovered as positive unless they were symptomatic.

Also, fully vaccinated players are no longer required to quarantine if they’re exposed to someone who tests positive.

So if one player tests positive, the rest of the team can still play as long as they’re fully vaccinated and asymptomatic.
Thought I saw last week something like only 6 of the 14 SEC teams were at least 80% vaccinated. Time's running out but there is time.

Reactions: jauk11
Players/coaches can be anti-vax if they want, it’s their right. But if you’re going to be anti-vax then you’re going to have to continue to wear a mask and social distance. SEC football is pretty much a billion dollar industry on its own and if you think they’re letting that money slip away due to cancelled games for a second year in a row then you’re a fool.

Reactions: rojas
These vaccines operate really well in protecting us from severe disease and death, but the big concern is that the next variant that might emerge - just a few mutations potentially away - could potentially evade our vaccines," CDC Director Rochelle Walensky said in a Tuesday press briefing.

• Haha
Reactions: GoB!gBlue
Thought I saw last week something like only 6 of the 14 SEC teams were at least 80% vaccinated. Time's running out but there is time.
Yeah, that was the impetus behind the timing of Sankey’s comments about forfeits. Basically trying to light a fire under some folks to get them on board.

I’m not sure if UK is one of the 6, but if not, hopefully this motivates them.

Didn't they say it could be a forfeit if they couldn't get it rescheduled?

I'm sure they'll look at the circumstances and see how it impacts the teams bowl wise.

Really, an actual game not played should be very rare. Last year teams wouldn't play when they had key players out. They really could've played but didn't want to

If vaccinated people are having to go back and wear masks that don't work then why get vaccinated? Look at the product update below.

Reactions: THE_HOOK
  • The CDC updated its guidelines on Tuesday to recommend masks indoors, even for vaccinated people.
  • The Delta variant makes it easier for vaccinated people to transmit the virus, the CDC said.
  • Vaccinated and unvaccinated people infected with Delta may have similar viral loads.

• Haha
Reactions: GoB!gBlue
Didn't they say it could be a forfeit if they couldn't get it rescheduled?

I'm sure they'll look at the circumstances and see how it impacts the teams bowl wise.

Really, an actual game not played should be very rare. Last year teams wouldn't play when they had key players out. They really could've played but didn't want to
They haven’t finalized anything just yet. Sankey was just sending a warning.

I suspect that if a game did get cancelled, and both teams had an open weekend later in the season that was available, then they’d probably reschedule it.

The problem is that last year’s schedule included extra cushion to allow for rescheduling. But since they’re planning on playing a full non-conference and conference schedule this year, they don’t have the same flexibility to accommodate that.

So if you do end up in a situation where COVID causes a cancellation, you better hope that you have a future open week and/or future opponents willing to move things around. Otherwise, I suspect they’ll force a team to forfeit.

Who knows if it’ll ever come to that though. If a team does end up in a situation where they think they’ll have to forefeit, I think they’d probably just go ahead and play short handed and hope for the best instead of taking a guaranteed loss.

But your guess is as good as mine until they announce something definitive and the situation actually pops up.

Yeah, that was the impetus behind the timing of Sankey’s comments about forfeits. Basically trying to light a fire under some folks to get them on board.

I’m not sure if UK is one of the 6, but if not, hopefully this motivates them.
I don't know where UK stands either only that Stoops responded with "We have some work to do." FWIW.

I think the issue of COVID is less important team vs team than it is within the individual teams. If 20% on each SEC team are unvaccinated then the problem is what to do with them…. There will be covid problems aplenty with those type numbers… What would I do if I was Stoops? Be looking hard at ways to segregate those players from the other 80%… But as many of us remember… segregation is not without its own issues😉

Nick Saban said at SEC Media Days that Alabama's team is close to 90% vax rate. Pretty sure they know they can't afford to forfeit games and make the playoffs. They won't leave it up to chance.

Reactions: mrschwump
  • The CDC updated its guidelines on Tuesday to recommend masks indoors, even for vaccinated people.
  • The Delta variant makes it easier for vaccinated people to transmit the virus, the CDC said.
  • Vaccinated and unvaccinated people infected with Delta may have similar viral loads.
Thousands of illegals are allowed to cross our Southern border every day. They are not tested or vaccinated. So until the U.S. Government shows they are serious about really stopping the virus i will go on with my life,

I am vaccinated but if I knew then what I know now I would think twice. I was sold on a false premise if I got vaccinated I could live a normal life. No mask and certainly no shutting down. I guess that was a lie too.

Thanks Joe. Stop illegals and I might be more inclined to believe. Keep doing what you are doing and I will laugh at the U.S. of A. What a stupid country we are.

I am vaccinated but if I knew then what I know now I would think twice. I was sold on a false premise if I got vaccinated I could live a normal life. No mask and certainly no shutting down. I guess that was a lie too.

You know millions of people every year get the flu despite getting flu vaccinations, right? You know 20% of people who get the chickenpox vax still get chickenpox, right? I don't think you were sold a false premise, I think you weren't paying attention and now want to blame others for your oversight.

You know millions of people every year get the flu despite getting flu vaccinations, right? You know 20% of people who get the chickenpox vax still get chickenpox, right? I don't think you were sold a false premise, I think you weren't paying attention and now want to blame others for your oversight.
Well maybe so but it is not something I have to worry about. We will not have a mask mandate where I live. Our governor will not shut the state down. He will hunt down the illegals the U.S. government is sending our way and deal with them. That is the real threat, not vaccinating some 12 year old.

I have had the chicken pox, I have had polio vaccines which actually worked. As did the smallpox vaccine I took. I was glad to get them.

I am not blaming anyone for anything. I have free will and make my own decisions. I got the vaccine on recommendations. It was my decision to actually do it but I will not recommend it to anyone else if we are back to square one. After the Delta passes what next? And there will be a next. This government will make sure there is a next. I am much too old to live my life in fear. Especially over some virus that is 99% non fatal.

Reactions: KMKAT

It's totally okay.

If an NFL team has an outbreak of Covid among vaccinated personnel (has happened numerous times just this summer), it's A-OK.

If the personnel are unvaccunated, it's a fine and forfeiture of games.

As if Covid from someone unvaccinated is somehow worse?

Just another ploy to force people to vaccinate.

He didn't say anything about dying...

He said "I could live a normal life", and that's not true.

The premise everyone is being told is “Get the shot so we can all return to normal”. If the CDC is now backtracking, then Sawnee is correct.

Reactions: KMKAT
Good decision. Guys screw over their team, kick them off & pull schollie.
The third string kicker might cause us a chance at the east title. I don't know what the coach can do, but I think leaving anyone that is not a starter off the roster for games would be a start.

I think 80% immunity is a hell of a lot better than ZERO percent. And we aren't speaking of chicken pox, we are talking the Corona virus, pretty sure the failure rate for the shot is a lot better than 20%. AND I think the shots do make the effects of the variants a lot less. What do the majority of the doctors say, or do you trust your local internet poster more than them. WE, the responsible adults are trying to wipe out the virus, some are more interested in proving you can't make me.
Ridiculous, JMO.

Last edited:
It's totally okay.

If an NFL team has an outbreak of Covid among vaccinated personnel (has happened numerous times just this summer), it's A-OK.

If the personnel are unvaccunated, it's a fine and forfeiture of games.

As if Covid from someone unvaccinated is somehow worse?

Just another ploy to force people to vaccinate.
And your Doctor told you this, or did you figure it out for yourself, with your high school lab equipment? And I was really looking forward to this football season, thought we did have a (slim) chance to make some real noise.

Last edited:
What if one dies from vaccine? I guess you wouldn’t have to worry about pulling their scholarship
I don't know, I went to some classes at UK where some students showed no sign of life. Although the end of the class seemed to revive some of them.

I said the same thing when I heard "15 days to flatten the curve."

Sure enough, he were are a year and a half later...
AND the shots did save a lot of lives AND the variants aren't as bad AND IF you do get it the effects aren't as bad if you do get any of them..

What kind of Doctor do some of you listen to, maybe you ought to take a census of what a dozen Doctors think?

Last edited:
Was going to bet Clemson under 11.5 wins at -120 since Dabo said he wasn't tracking their vax % or making them get vaxxed, but then the book said all games must occur as scheduled to win/lose which is too bad

I wonder if teams in contention for the national title are pushing vaccinations more than teams like UK?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT