ADVERTISEMENT

COVID-19 testing beginning for UK students, 30K to be tested

smh. This is going to be a disaster. We won't get a full football or basketball season due to all these non essential non athletes being on campus.

Reactions: Blueaz
A test this week determines nothing about what happens two weeks from now. It's more PR than anything.
Not saying it is a bad thing to test, but unless you are going to strictly follow CDC guidelines with social distancing, masks, etc. then kids will be spreading it in no time at all soon after testing.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
You can control a team when it’s just them. But once the general student body population gets on campus there will be cases everywhere. Most won’t know they have it and pass it along before their test results get back.

If they don’t keep the teams totally isolated I don’t see how it won’t spread. The question will be how quickly can the players get over it and return a negative test.

Reactions: Blueaz
A test this week determines nothing about what happens two weeks from now. It's more PR than anything.
Not saying it is a bad thing to test, but unless you are going to strictly follow CDC guidelines with social distancing, masks, etc. then kids will be spreading it in no time at all soon after testing.
Yep

Reactions: sambowieshin
You can control a team when it’s just them. But once the general student body population gets on campus there will be cases everywhere. Most won’t know they have it and pass it along before their test results get back.

If they don’t keep the teams totally isolated I don’t see how it won’t spread. The question will be how quickly can the players get over it and return a negative test.
Agreed. I know it's not realistic to have a bubble comparable to the NBA's but they need to come as close as they can. That age group in particular. They might not be high risk of death but they don't social distance at all. That makes them a very high risk of silently spreading the disease. I still believe this can be done but it has to be done very carefully. Keep the players as isolated as possible from the general student body.

We are going to have players test positive at some point. The key is going to be how a positive is handled and limiting it's spread within the team.

Reactions: jpbky2
We are going to have players test positive at some point. The key is going to be how a positive is handled and limiting it's spread within the team.

Exactly. As a coach, how do you handle it? You know someone will test positive and you hope it doesn't spread, but how do you practice? If a quarterback gets it, then you would think the whole quarterback room is at risk, so do you keep your quarterbacks separated? Or an offensive lineman gets it and wipes out your whole o-line, so what do you do? I know cohesion and reps are a big part of football, but do you coach to keep your team safe in case of an outbreak? I'm just wondering? It adds a different dynamic to how you handle your team. Let's say Kentucky realizes this and keeps Terry Wilson and Joey Gatewood (assuming eligible) totally away from each other. If one comes down with it, presumably the other takes over and can take over because he is negative and been away from Terry. Let's say another team's quarterback gets it and all the way down to the fifth string quarterbacks are infected? It will be interesting how teams practice. If and it is a big if they play college football, I think a freshman or someone way down the depth chart may possibly have to play a big role.

Exactly. As a coach, how do you handle it? You know someone will test positive and you hope it doesn't spread, but how do you practice? If a quarterback gets it, then you would think the whole quarterback room is at risk, so do you keep your quarterbacks separated? Or an offensive lineman gets it and wipes out your whole o-line, so what do you do? I know cohesion and reps are a big part of football, but do you coach to keep your team safe in case of an outbreak? I'm just wondering? It adds a different dynamic to how you handle your team. Let's say Kentucky realizes this and keeps Terry Wilson and Joey Gatewood (assuming eligible) totally away from each other. If one comes down with it, presumably the other takes over and can take over because he is negative and been away from Terry. Let's say another team's quarterback gets it and all the way down to the fifth string quarterbacks are infected? It will be interesting how teams practice. If and it is a big if they play college football, I think a freshman or someone way down the depth chart may possibly have to play a big role.

I think we start the season, maybe play a couple of games, but if any of this BS we are being told is true, this will run through a team faster than you can say Covid 19. a cough, a sneeze, someone spitting, or even sweating will spread it. . If I were Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields are anyone else the NFL can't wait to make multi millionaires no way I would play this season, I would go into my own bubble. Those 2 are likely the top 2 draft picks if they play or not, Lawrence would have been the 1st his frosh and soph years. But I think he is a pretty good kid and will play, Fields too most likely, but I don't think it's the smart choice, even without covid

smh. This is going to be a disaster. We won't get a full football or basketball season due to all these non essential non athletes being on campus.
Wrong, our teams wont be around students all being under bubble. With this, assuming classes online as well

I think we start the season, maybe play a couple of games, but if any of this BS we are being told is true, this will run through a team faster than you can say Covid 19. a cough, a sneeze, someone spitting, or even sweating will spread it. . If I were Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields are anyone else the NFL can't wait to make multi millionaires no way I would play this season, I would go into my own bubble. Those 2 are likely the top 2 draft picks if they play or not, Lawrence would have been the 1st his frosh and soph years. But I think he is a pretty good kid and will play, Fields too most likely, but I don't think it's the smart choice, even without covid

I don't understand the panic.

Georgia more so than UK maybe, maybe covid enters another variable, and maybe UK catches Georgia with more players out and it evens the field, but then they have a deeper team anyway and if we did win that way they have a legit excuse. Meanwhile lets say both Lawrence and Fields get the virus, AND lose a game over it, isn't that better for their pro team, that they have had it and are over it, I haven't seen any proof yet that they won't recover if they don't have other problems.

I think teams should play through it, if half the team is out for one game then they should be good for the rest of the schedule. Everyone is playing with the same ball, sometimes it bounces your way and sometimes it doesn't, play the damn schedule and if you lose a game you shouldn't well it wouldn't be the first time.

Well, for UK at least. Having a season is very important for everyone, especially for financing the athletic departments, and if it is more like an exhibition season so what.

Play ball.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I would 100% be surprised if universities stay open past September. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they went online halfway through Sept. or sooner.

Having face-to-face courses is nothing but universities trying to recoup losses from refunds last semester and get as much money as they can before they're ultimately forced to shutter for the semester in lieu of the safer alternative.

This semester will be an absolute shit show. We're the audience. Students and faculty are the performers.

Edit: so for those worried about too many students on campus... You might not want to bail out just yet.

Nostradumbass prediction---- we beat Florida, LSU and Texas A&M. The SEC will then cancel the season. Then the rest of the SEC will claim it never happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT