ADVERTISEMENT

Could Zion really end up @ Clemson? More likely than you think!

if cal tweaked his system a little, we wouldn't need a top 5 player to be a legit title contender

Isn’t he already tweaking it?

Most of UK’s present roster will be returning next season. Johnson, Herro, and Quickley are all probably multi-year guys as well. Add Brown, and that’s another multi-year guy.

Johnson/Alexander/Quickley are all the type of guards we’ve seen dominate the tournament over the last few years – bulldogs who lock people down defensively and don’t take any shit from opposing stars.

Just curious, but how exactly would you tweak the system outside of using some of the recruiting strategies Cal has employed the last few years?

Most of UK’s present roster will be returning next season. Johnson, Herro, and Quickley are all probably multi-year guys as well. Add Brown, and that’s another multi-year guy.
Look, teams like UNC and Villanova and Virginia take this approach and are good almost every year. Take a 2nd year Johnson and Herro and they'll be better than damn near any top 10 freshman.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
If Richards bolts as expected, Brown will get a spot regardless. He’s a 7’1” center. Williamson is a tweener three. There recruitments are totally separate from one another.

Bigs: Wynyard, SKJ, Brown = 3

Combo forwards: Washington, Vanderbilt, Gabriel = 3

Combo Wings: Johnson, Herro, = 2

Guards: Baker, Alexander, Quickley, Green = 4

That’s only 12 scholarships. 13 with Zion.

You're probably right about Brown. He is likely a multi-year investment.

But I am not sure Cal signs him if he already has 11 or 12 on scholarship. Here lately he has tried to keep 1-2 scholarships open, just in case a guy like Diallo comes along and wants to come to college early.

The total number is the only way that Williamson affects Brown.

If we have Green, Baker, SGA, Quickley, Herro, Johnson, Williamson, Vanderbilt, Washington, Gabriel, SKJ, and Wynyard back, thats 12 scholarships. I think Cal holds onto the last scholarship in that instance.

I definitely agree with you that we return more than most think. Cal has eluded to a lot of guys returning. He said we would sign 1, maybe 2 more, which means 4-5 new players. That likely means we lose 4-5 guys. Cal isn't going to be caught short handed, We likely lose Diallo, Knox, Richards, and 1-2 more from SGA, Vanderbilt, Washington, and Gabriel.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I’m still not convinced that all of those guys come back. We all know how the pros feel about potential.

Clemson? Does he think he's a football player. Does he know how many guys Cal has put into the NBA? If you want to succeed at the next level in basketball is there a better place to go than UK? Didn't Booker, who sat on the bench while we lost to Wisconsin put up 70 recently on the Celtic's? Come on young man, help us win another title, and then go make millions.

Clemso? Does he think he's a football player. Does he know how many guys Cal has put into the NBA? If you want to succeed at the next level in basketball is there a better place to go than UK? Didn't Booker, who sat on the bench while we lost to Wisconsin put up 70 recently on the Celtic's? Come on young man, help us win another title, and then go make millions.

The Booker who scored all those points was not the same player that was on the bench especially after he was a liability on defense.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Clemson? Does he think he's a football player. Does he know how many guys Cal has put into the NBA? If you want to succeed at the next level in basketball is there a better place to go than UK? Didn't Booker, who sat on the bench while we lost to Wisconsin put up 70 recently on the Celtic's? Come on young man, help us win another title, and then go make millions.
Should we convince a 5 Star football recruit In KY to go to Bama?

The article says Zion might want to put a program like Clemson on map rather than be one of many players that have come through a blue blood program. It also says Zion has been offered opportunities to transfer to other high profile high schools or be on better AAU teams, but he consistently opted to stay local and support his SC community. Also, Clemson has been recruiting him since he was 14.

BTW - The Upstate SC UK Alumni association is planning to go see Zion this month and show him some UK love. We’re not giving up on Zion!

Johnson/Alexander/Quickley are all the type of guards we’ve seen dominate the tournament over the last few years – bulldogs who lock people down defensively and don’t take any shit from opposing stars.

Just curious, but how exactly would you tweak the system outside of using some of the recruiting strategies Cal has employed the last few years?

I don’t see johnson or IQ being “multi year” guys? Maybe 2 years at most ... imo of course . You see them staying 3+ years ?

I also agree with this . Cal HAS begun to “tweak” his system by including more NON sure fire one n dones. I think we’ll have at least 4 guys return next season to go along with yet ANOTHER top rated recruiting class.

Reactions: TM2013
I don't think Cal made Petty a priority like he did Young.
Petty was the 1st scholarship offer last recruiting cycle. The staff spent plenty of time recruiting Petty but he simply decided to stay home. Avery Johnson helps add a unique feel to Alabama because of his success playing and coaching in the league. Bama bball recruiting has reached new heights but has it done so w/o violations?

ADVERTISEMENT