ADVERTISEMENT

Could you bet your life on this team?

Feb 16, 2010
Obviously this is just for fun and I know a lot of people will get upset or snub their nose at the question, but if someone came to you right now and said you have to pick a team in college basketball that you feel will make the E8 or better (I almost said sweet 16 but remembered we're not Indiana or Texas A&M circa 2007) and your life depended on it, could you pick this team?
My friend asked me this today. He said he hadn't felt fully comfortable with a Cal team early in the season that would end up being one of the superior teams at the end of the season and make a run since 2017 and maybe 2019. I was the same way with 2017 and 2019 (up until the Duke game). Those were the last times I thought we had good enough players that we would end up being a superior team at the end. I could not put my life on any Cal team since then to be more than just a possible Cinderella team at the end of season. Even last year still felt off Even though we were a 2 seed. This year feels off too. The way people have reacted to a win over an unranked Michigan team, gave me flashbacks to how people were reacting when we beat unranked K-State and WV in BCG's second year. They thought it proved we were back.
And please don't start with 2020. The 2020 team is easy to hype up because the tournament didn't happen. The 2020 team is that guy in high school who would go around saying the hottest girl in school wanted to bang him if he had showed up to a party she was going to, but for some reason couldn't go and all they tell stories about are what they would've done if they had gone to that party.

Obviously this is just for fun and I know a lot of people will get upset or snub their nose at the question, but if someone came to you right now and said you have to pick a team in college basketball that you feel will make the E8 or better (I almost said sweet 16 but remembered we're not Indiana or Texas A&M circa 2007) and your life depended on it, could you pick this team?
My friend asked me this today. He said he hadn't felt fully comfortable with a Cal team early in the season that would end up being one of the superior teams at the end of the season and make a run since 2017 and maybe 2019. I was the same way with 2017 and 2019 (up until the Duke game). Those were the last times I thought we had good enough players that we would end up being a superior team at the end. I could not put my life on any Cal team since then to be more than just a possible Cinderella team at the end of season. Even last year still felt off Even though we were a 2 seed. This year feels off too. The way people have reacted to a win over an unranked Michigan team, gave me flashbacks to how people were reacting when we beat unranked K-State and WV in BCG's second year. They thought it proved we were back.
And please don't start with 2020. The 2020 team is easy to hype up because the tournament didn't happen. The 2020 team is that guy in high school who would go around saying the hottest girl in school wanted to bang him if he had showed up to a party she was going to, but for some reason couldn't go and all they tell stories about are what they would've done if they had gone to that party.
I wouldn’t place my life on any team. Maybe 2015 to get to the final four or 2012 but even then I’ve seen great teams throw a stinker too many tournaments.

I wouldn't place my life on any team either but it was just kind of like a if you had to bet your life on a team, is this team strong enough in your opinion to pick them. Like if someone put a gun to your head.
There's been teams in the past where despite early season struggles, I can still look at them be like "There are some studs on this team and could be great if they start clicking." Where as recently we might have good or decent players but they all seem weak and scared. Not alpha types that embrace the moment. Basically all Davids and no Goliaths.
I don't know, just heartbreaking that I feel like UK now isn't a team anymore that If I had to choose basing a decision I made with my mind. Just feels like the late Tubby years where we played UConn good in '06 and it felt like we could've won but the logical reason told us most likely we wouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFuqua
I wouldn't place my life on any team either but it was just kind of like a if you had to bet your life on a team, is this team strong enough in your opinion to pick them. Like if someone put a gun to your head.
There's been teams in the past where despite early season struggles, I can still look at them be like "There are some studs on this team and could be great if they start clicking." Where as recently we might have good or decent players but they all seem weak and scared. Not alpha types that embrace the moment. Basically all Davids and no Goliaths.
I don't know, just heartbreaking that I feel like UK now isn't a team anymore that If I had to choose basing a decision I made with my mind. Just feels like the late Tubby years where we played UConn good in '06 and it felt like we could've won but the logical reason told us most likely we wouldn't.
Basically no

Reactions: KFuqua
Ok, then really that should tell you all you need to know about this team. If you don't think they have the type of players (mentally, physically, and skill) that you would bet would be an elite 8 or better team by season's end, that should tell you all you need to know. I look at these guys and none them besides Oscar look like championship caliber players. Even the transfers that are upperclassmen look younger than freshman that we've had before

Cowbois won’t answer the hypo they’ll be easy to spot in this thread lol.

“Dur I wouldn’t bet my life on basketball Dur”

Answer - hell no. Because this team isn’t winning anything.

1. Wheeler will be given way too much rope to hang up.

2. Even if he didn’t, we don’t have the offensive ability to run half court in the tournament and be efficient enough to win. Ain’t no AD or A Harrison to bail us out.

3. Half of our team are pogo sticks with no skills. They just bounce around pretty much all they can do.

4. The one shooter we did bring in cannot create his own shot and Calipari doesn’t know how to get him open.

5. Even if we somehow perform well over what we’re capable of, and wheeler decides to not screw up in the last 3 minutes of tight games, and the pogo sticks learn to shoot basketballs, Calipari is your coach. He’ll screw it up.

So no, I wouldn’t bet 10 bucks to win a million this team will cut the nets down.

Ok, then really that should tell you all you need to know about this team. If you don't think they have the type of players (mentally, physically, and skill) that you would bet would be an elite 8 or better team by season's end, that should tell you all you need to know. I look at these guys and none them besides Oscar look like championship caliber players. Even the transfers that are upperclassmen look younger than freshman that we've had before
What? Hold on, you're asking dudes to bet their lives… .on a college basketball team… .in a one and done scenario.

Do you understand wtf that means? Not one single person would do that, even if that team was the Golden State Warriors.

If you want to say $500.00, cool, but you're saying "if they don't make it to the elite 8, I shoot you in the head".

Not only that, but the reason I wouldn't bet on this team, is not because the players aren't up to it, it's the coach that doesn't know what he is doing. I like this team, this team should be damn good, it's the coach that is failing them.

WTH is happening here?

What? Hold on, you're asking dudes to bet their lives… .on a college basketball team… .in a one and done scenario.

Do you understand wtf that means? Not one single person would do that, even if that team was the Golden State Warriors.

If you want to say $500.00, cool, but you're saying "if they don't make it to the elite 8, I shoot you in the head".

Not only that, but the reason I wouldn't bet on this team, is not because the players aren't up to it, it's the coach that doesn't know what he is doing. I like this team, this team should be damn good, it's the coach that is failing them.

WTH is happening here?

It’s a hypothetical. Meaning you won’t really die by answering the question Jeff.

You’re safe.

So…..what would you bet your life on?

• Haha
Reactions: Gromcat
Yeah, I get that, but at least make the hypothetical somewhat real. Nobody is going to say they would take that bet.
This is some 3rd grade shit here.

I would bet my life we don’t win a title for sure.

No. Has nothing to do with any lack of potential.

Things are looking better lately (minus this year). But for a long time Kentucky Football fans used to say we had a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Cal has had that knack lately. He needs to figure it out. Until he does I’m not betting spit regardless of how good our team looks on paper.

Reactions: kyjeff1
So a slight twist on the cal sucks since 2015 genre. Cool.

To answer the question, I haven’t watched enough teams to know if any team fits that bill, but I know this year’s UK squad, as of today, does not give me much confidence. At this point I can see how they could come together and go on a run of some type but we need to see some conference road games to get a flavor of how they are going to pan out.

Cowbois won’t answer the hypo they’ll be easy to spot in this thread lol.

“Dur I wouldn’t bet my life on basketball Dur”

Answer - hell no. Because this team isn’t winning anything.

1. Wheeler will be given way too much rope to hang up.

2. Even if he didn’t, we don’t have the offensive ability to run half court in the tournament and be efficient enough to win. Ain’t no AD or A Harrison to bail us out.

3. Half of our team are pogo sticks with no skills. They just bounce around pretty much all they can do.

4. The one shooter we did bring in cannot create his own shot and Calipari doesn’t know how to get him open.

5. Even if we somehow perform well over what we’re capable of, and wheeler decides to not screw up in the last 3 minutes of tight games, and the pogo sticks learn to shoot basketballs, Calipari is your coach. He’ll screw it up.

So no, I wouldn’t bet 10 bucks to win a million this team will cut the nets down.
The amount of good looks Fredrick has missed this year is Ridiculous. I don’t understand why people say he’s not getting open looks. Has 3-4 every game

This thread is bizarre. “Gun to your head would you bet that this team makes it to the elite 8? And if you don’t doesn’t that tell you what kind of players we have?”

I’m against Cal but this thread was made by someone very immature for their age, or very young. I haven’t heard anyone talk like this about sports since I was in junior high.

There are no locks in college basketball with parity. Of course no one would bet their life on this team making the elite 8 and this season there wouldn't be any teams that make me comfortable.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I would bet my life we don’t win a title for sure.
Well, if this was real, which is what we're pretending it is, no, I wouldn't bet my life, because this team SHOULD be on the short list of teams that can win a title.

If we're just throwing the words "bet you're life" out there, knowing they're just words that would never come true, okay, cool, but aren't we suposed to be pretending like we would really bet our lives? If not, what's the point?

If Cal wasn't the coach, I'd bet a thousand on this team to get to a FF and another $500 to win the title, but nobody would legit bet their life, especially when the odds are so low.

Reactions: ORCAT
This thread is bizarre. “Gun to your head would you bet that this team makes it to the elite 8? And if you don’t doesn’t that tell you what kind of players we have?”

I’m against Cal but this thread was made by someone very immature for their age, or very young. I haven’t heard anyone talk like this about sports since I was in junior high.
Exactly, even KL, Bass and Ed aren't stupid enough to place this bet. This is some weird 3rd grade stuff.

There are no locks in college basketball with parity. Of course no one would bet their life on this team making the elite 8 and this season there wouldn't be any teams that make me comfortable.
I wouldn't have even bet my life on the 2010, 2012 or 2015 teams making the E8 at halftime of their sweet 16 games.

If you find yourself placing that kind of bet, get in the car and find a gamblers anonamous meeting STAT.

If I'm betting my life on something, I will at least have some control on the outcome of whatever the competition is, I damn sure won't bet my life on something John Calipari has total control over.

I wouldn't have even bet my life on the 2010, 2012 or 2015 teams making the E8 at halftime of their sweet 16 games.

If you find yourself placing that kind of bet, get in the car and find a gamblers anonamous meeting STAT.

2015 was up by a ton at halftime but yeah, in this fantasy I'd never bet my life on college kids playing a game lol.

no-no-no.gif

Ill Change his hypothetical.

Would y’all bet 500 to win a million that UK wins the title this season?

Reactions: Backer cutter
Would pick Houston to Elite Eight if my life depended on it and hope for the best. There isn’t a single team I would feel good about predicting to Final Four.

Would pick Houston to Elite Eight if my life depended on it and hope for the best. There isn’t a single team I would feel good about predicting to Final Four.
I'm not sure I would trust Houston either. They're undefeated but had a couple of near losses to mid majors. I believe Kent St missed a 3 to tie it late in the game and I don't think there was any score in the last 2 minutes of a 5 point game against St Mary's. I don't think I would bet my life on any college teams anymore.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

WTH is happening here?
I was wondering the same thing
This is probably the oddest..and most disturbing..question I’ve seen asked here

This team hasn't shown me anything yet... other than the inability to run a decent half court offense.

I'm not sure I would trust Houston either. They're undefeated but had a couple of near losses to mid majors. I believe Kent St missed a 3 to tie it late in the game and I don't think there was any score in the last 2 minutes of a 5 point game against St Mary's. I don't think I would bet my life on any college teams anymore.

They aren’t great, but they’ve been pretty consistent lately and will put a stranglehold on you. Wouldn’t trust them to win 6 straight games, but I say they’d be your best bet to win 3.

I’ll bet my left testicle that Cal never wins another title - anywhere.
Agreed. Even if we somehow make it to the F4 or title game, the officiating for us will be so egregious, it’ll make it even tougher to actually finish the job. We have to have overwhelming talent to: 1. cancel out Cal’s bonehead coaching and 2. cancel out the horrible officiating we are almost guaranteed to get. JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT