ADVERTISEMENT

Could Stoops pull off the unthinkable at UK?

Lets finish something other than 12-14 in SEC total defense and then get back to me.

Yeah if he's around when saben retires. Or bama has a surprisingly below average season and our cats have a serious above average season in the same year or years.

An SEC Championship?

Depends on when you are talking about, winning the SEC is probably not going to happen, I don't think UK has a Tebow or Newton type talent on the roster and that is what it has taken keep them from winning th SEC every year the last 8-9 years. Their overall team talent is just so much better than everyone else in the conference

Reactions: screwduke1
Honestly, probably not. Until UK can beat UT and FL in football they won't win the SEC East and won't have a chance to compete for the SEC Championship. We need to get better players overall, and are working in that direction, but still have a ways to go. And even if UK wins the East you probably have an Alabama there waiting. Good luck.

Reactions: ORCAT
Let's assume Stoops trajectory continues: he will not be here when Saban retires, he will have moved on to a bigger job. If stoops does move on that means he's accomplished a lot and that means we have to hit a home run on next coaching hire. At this point Saban will begin to age out and the doors may open up. What if we're a top 20 program by that point and grab the next Dabo?

Bottom line, I don't think Stoops has the time frame to do so, but his successor might. Stoops legacy may be the distinction of taking a snake bitten program and pushing them into relevance, and honestly that may be more impressive than winning a sec title itself.

Could he? Absolutely. All it would take is a down year for TN, GA, and FL and whoever we play in the West to craps the bed.

If CMS keeps improving his recruiting at a rate similar to when he started here, there won't be much difference in talent or recruit rankings compared to TN, GA, and FL in 6-8 years. Classes in the 10-15 range every year will give us ample opportunity to win the east.

Winning the championship vs the West isn't very possible with Alabama, LSU, and Auburn's current form. Again though, in 6-8 years there's no guarantee they will continue to recruit at such a high level. Or say that we are facing a 3 loss team in the title game that has nothing to play for while UK is at 10-2 and a win away from the playoffs. Would give Kentucky a massive boost.

It is all about taking the little steps needed to build a good college football program. Right now, we need to take the next step up from an annual 6-7 win team with top 20-25 recruiting classes to an annual 8-9 win team with top 15-20 classes. Then to a 9-10 win team with top 10-15 recruiting classes.

Once we reach that 3rd level where winning 9-10 games and getting a top 10-15 class is the norm instead of an anomaly, YES. I strongly believe a SEC championship is a possibility.

It won't happen over night. If we continue to progress as we witnessed last season, I'd say reaching that point in 6-8 years isn't being far too ambitious.

If CMS is still here in 8 years, I look for us to turn into the next Kansas St. Or Virginia Tech when they were at their peak due to amazing coaches like Snyder and Beamer sticking around and subtly improving them every year until the point they're legitimate contenders to win against anyone.

6-8 years, Top 10-15 ranked recruiting classes, and 9-10 win seasons. If CMS continues building the team, I see the possibility down the road without a doubt

All in my completely worthless opinion as always.

I think we have a legitimate shot at the East this year but getting by Bama would be a Herculean task that I do not feel we have the talent for - yet. An upset of a team loaded with 5 star talent in a championship game would be an enormous, yet very unlikely upset.

Reactions: TheKentuckyKid
I think we have a legitimate shot at the East this year but getting by Bama would be a Herculean task that I do not feel we have the talent for - yet. An upset of a team loaded with 5 star talent in a championship game would be an enormous, yet very unlikely upset.
when the players think they can win the SEC and the State produces a few really good players that choose U.K. Then it would be doable.

Not as long as Saban is at Bamba......when was the last time the East champion was competitive in the championship game?

Let's assume Stoops trajectory continues: he will not be here when Saban retires, he will have moved on to a bigger job. If stoops does move on that means he's accomplished a lot and that means we have to hit a home run on next coaching hire. At this point Saban will begin to age out and the doors may open up. What if we're a top 20 program by that point and grab the next Dabo?

Bottom line, I don't think Stoops has the time frame to do so, but his successor might. Stoops legacy may be the distinction of taking a snake bitten program and pushing them into relevance, and honestly that may be more impressive than winning a sec title itself.
I think you assume too much in assuming he leaves just because we post a 10 win season and win the East, or something to that effect.

I think you assume too much in assuming he leaves just because we post a 10 win season and win the East, or something to that effect.

In order to win the SEC, we need at least 4-7 more years of solid growth as a program. If we get to the point where were a perennial top 20 team, meaning 8 win minimum, some 9s and some 10s for the next 7 years, that Stoops will still be here? A big name will open and he'll be gone. Can you think of any coach that pulled a program out of obscurity, won a major title, and stayed there well over a decade?

Right now our offense is good enough to win maybe eight or nine games. Our defensive line and special teams limit us to plus or minus six.

Probably average out to be six or seven wins unless Higgins begins to ref football games.

Right now our offense is good enough to win maybe eight or nine games. Our defensive line and special teams limit us to plus or minus six.

Probably average out to be six or seven wins unless Higgins begins to ref football games.

I think you may be overestimating your offense a little and underestimating your defense a little. UK's passing game is much like UGA, returning stats basically mirror each other in yards, completion %, TDs, ints. Neither of us have a returning WR who will make a DB nervous, while both of us have guys who haven't played much or any at all we are counting on, The passing game is a huge concern for us. On the other hand both of us have good/great production at RB. Snell is a very good back, if Chubb is back to 100% and he apears to be, I wouldn't trade backs with any team in the country.

But on the other side, UK returns alot of proven talent on the defense, their starting LB unit is very good, don't know about your depth but lots talk about Daniels being physical, but the first 4 are very good. Secondary has some good players and bring alot of experience. The front catches some grief but they are an experienced group and should be better.

From the outside it looks like you are basing your projections of the offense off potential at WR, certainly not Snell because he is proven and not giving enough credit to a defense that won 7 games for you last year.

No. The basketball only fans don't want three total SEC championships in football overshadowing their 50.

[eyeroll]

Any SEC East team winning the SEC is pretty unthinkable right now.

I am not sure about that, Bama has a poor passing game, Clemson showed stopping the run you stopped Bama. Now that might change this year but they had no offense when the big back went down. They didn't rotate defensive front like they have in the past, so the DL and LB are going to be inexperienced compared to other years. I think Bama can be had this year, but they are still going to be loaded in the backfield and OL.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
I think you may be overestimating your offense a little and underestimating your defense a little. UK's passing game is much like UGA, returning stats basically mirror each other in yards, completion %, TDs, ints. Neither of us have a returning WR who will make a DB nervous, while both of us have guys who haven't played much or any at all we are counting on, The passing game is a huge concern for us. On the other hand both of us have good/great production at RB. Snell is a very good back, if Chubb is back to 100% and he apears to be, I wouldn't trade backs with any team in the country.

But on the other side, UK returns alot of proven talent on the defense, their starting LB unit is very good, don't know about your depth but lots talk about Daniels being physical, but the first 4 are very good. Secondary has some good players and bring alot of experience. The front catches some grief but they are an experienced group and should be better.

From the outside it looks like you are basing your projections of the offense off potential at WR, certainly not Snell because he is proven and not giving enough credit to a defense that won 7 games for you last year.

Granted, someone must catch the ball. We have someone who can throw and use his legs. The offensive line looks to be good. So your point about the wide receivers is worrisome.

The second and third tier defense looks solid. They may have to be. Don't stop the run and you know what happens next. We proved that last year with our ground game against the competition. Chubb and Snell are key for both teams for ball control and forcing the other team to load the box.

Granted, someone must catch the ball. We have someone who can throw and use his legs. The offensive line looks to be good. So your point about the wide receivers is worrisome.

The second and third tier defense looks solid. They may have to be. Don't stop the run and you know what happens next. We proved that last year with our ground game against the competition. Chubb and Snell are key for both teams for ball control and forcing the other team to load the box.

Not having OL worries is a huge plus, we have a big question mark there. Chubb appears to have regained his quickness that just wasn't there, the only touch he got in the spring game was a swing pass that where he blasted past one of our faster LBs for 20 yards. He is in incredible shape, but Michel isn't far behind plus he may have the best hands on the team, word is he is going to get some time at slot, We signed 4 bigger WR, all 6'2"+, the one from Ga. is a great athlete, 50 ft triple jumper in HS, better than good speed, not great but he hasn't caught a pass in a game, OL wasn't very good last year, it wasn't even SEC level in my opinon, and 2 return so its a huge question mark too. Defensively we are deep with experienced depth at all 3 levels, they will have to carry us early.

"Let's assume?" Why?

"Let's assume?" Why?

because with the topic of this thread, "can stoops win a SEC title," you have to assume his trajectory will continue upwards. Obviously if it goes any other way he WON'T win a SEC title. You can't have any further discussion in this thread without assuming he'll get better and better. Think about it.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Absolutely! If Stoops can bring in better and better recruits and complete his "Head Coach" training, we could do it before I die. I feel comfortable that I have 15 years left.

Reactions: BlueTick2
Honestly, probably not. Until UK can beat UT and FL in football they won't win the SEC East and won't have a chance to compete for the SEC Championship. We need to get better players overall, and are working in that direction, but still have a ways to go. And even if UK wins the East you probably have an Alabama there waiting. Good luck.

UKWildcats#8 I think you are right on in your comments. You have identified our major obstacles and we haven't overcome them yet. Sure could happen if Stoops continues with his building process but not sure when that might happen or if it will happen while he is here.

SubbornPenny Soon as I read your post I thought immediately of Rich Brooks and what he did at Oregon. He built up a terrible football program and created the foundation for what would happen at UO which put them in two national championship game appearances. If that sort of thing can happen at Oregon, not a traditional football power it could happen at UK. Stoops could be our Brooks that builds the foundation for future success. I think you have hit on a good comparison.

No. The basketball only fans don't want three total SEC championships in football overshadowing their 50.

[eyeroll]

I am a major UK basketball fan and have been for many years. Your statement irritates me and comes as an insult to UK fans. Just incredibly stupid. I have many, many UK fans who love our basketball program and team but they all want major success with our football team. Don't know who the lousy UK friends are that you have but none of mine are wanting the football team to stay in the background and I haven't met any other UK fans like that either. You sound like a grumpy old man.

Reactions: ekywildcat
A few yards from a SEC and national title. I bet that hurts still 5 years later. UGA would have beaten ND by 2-3 TDs easily, if not more IMO.

This is BS. That was a really good UGA team. The ND showed how good they were at getting blown out to BAMA 7 touchdowns. hahhahahahaha

UKWildcats#8 I think you are right on in your comments. You have identified our major obstacles and we haven't overcome them yet. Sure could happen if Stoops continues with his building process but not sure when that might happen or if it will happen while he is here.

SubbornPenny Soon as I read your post I thought immediately of Rich Brooks and what he did at Oregon. He built up a terrible football program and created the foundation for what would happen at UO which put them in two national championship game appearances. If that sort of thing can happen at Oregon, not a traditional football power it could happen at UK. Stoops could be our Brooks that builds the foundation for future success. I think you have hit on a good comparison.

Good thought on Rich Brooks. Funny he coached here too and had us a solid foundation before Joker ruined it. People don't realize it takes DECADES of more than competent coaching to elevate a program. People are used to basketball where it can be a one or two season thing. There's never one guy who takes you from the depths to the title game in football. It takes 2-3 great coaching hires in a row, university support, fan support, class after class of players reporting back to younger classes. Coach Stoops will probably never take us to a NCAA college playoff, but he can set the stage for the next guy, and that guy can set the stage for the next guy, and withing a deacde or two, we can be an elite program. I'm sorry everyone, it just takes that long to become one of the "big boys" in college football.

because with the topic of this thread, "can stoops win a SEC title," you have to assume his trajectory will continue upwards. Obviously if it goes any other way he WON'T win a SEC title. You can't have any further discussion in this thread without assuming he'll get better and better. Think about it.
LOL! I DID think about it and I disagree with you. As a UL fan, you assess UK's football program differently from the way I assess it. We don't need to make assumptions. The thread asks whether Stoops COULD win an SEC title. This calls for a PROJECTION, not an assumption. I ASSUME any SEC team can win the title under the right circumstances. But I can PROJECT that Stoops is already on that kind of an upward path. Stoops has already demonstrated an ability to recruit at a high level, win SEC road games, beat Louisville in the Pizza House (ouch!), and play competitively with almost every SEC team (although, so far, not Alabama, LSU, Florida, Tennessee yet). I can PROJECT that Stoops' recruiting momentum and his team's ability to win competitive games is accelerating. On this path, either he will eventually hit a wall, or else he will eventually take Kentucky to an SEC title game. I can PROJECT this without specifically taking into consideration what is happening in Knoxville and Athens, although those independent factors make it even more likely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT