ADVERTISEMENT

Could Indiana get the Louisville regional ahead of us?

ukfan79

All-American
Apr 15, 2007
It's pretty certain at this point that Indiana, Oregon, and West Virginia are all 3 seeds. That leaves one spot for us to possibly take.

Do we want that three or would we rather have a 4 with a better shot at getting to play in Louisville?

For arguments sake, let's say we do end up as the 4th 3 seed with the aforementioned teams. West Virginia would go East to Philly (Philly is about 90 miles closer to Morgantown than Louisville). Oregon would naturally stay West and go to Anaheim.

That would leave UK and IU fighting for Louisville with the 'loser' getting Chicago. Maybe the committee would say Chicago is more of Indiana's 'natural' region and put them there, but if they were going by distance and considered IU a stronger 3 than us then they'd get Louisville.

Of course all that would depend on who the 2 seeds are as well. For example if Michigan State were the 2 seed in Louisville they wouldn't make IU the 3 seed there. Or if Oklahoma was the 2 seed in Philly they wouldn't make West Virginia the 3 seed there.

Honestly, I don't think UK deserves the Louisville region. I don't think you should play that close to home unless you are a 1 or 2 seed.

And yes, I'm sure it's happened before - but that doesn't make it right. It wouldn't be fair to any of the 1 seeds to have to play a Sweet 16 game against a 4-seed UK in Louisville. It just wouldn't.

Selfishly, sure I hope it happens. But if the situation were reversed, and we were a No. 1 seed playing a No. 4 an hour from their campus, this board would lose its mind.

it's fannies in the seats..IU doesn't travel like UK..I'm not sure if eye u has a fan base since Booby Knight left..UK would sell the YUM!! out..IU not so much..:boxing::boxing:

it's fannies in the seats..IU doesn't travel like UK..I'm not sure if eye u has a fan base since Booby Knight left..UK would sell the YUM!! out..IU not so much..:boxing::boxing:
The YUM is already sold out. IU would certainly fill their allotment and eat up the tickets on the secondary market that UK fans already have in hand (like me).

As for the other response in this thread, if these are the 4 #3 seeds it makes sense that either IU or UK would be in Louisville. Would it be any more fair to put Indiana there? Their campus is almost as close the YUM as ours is (maybe 15 miles further).

If that plays out Chicago is the natural fit for IU and Louisville for the Cats. We need Utah I guess to lose early in the Pac tournament though I think they are a joke at a three-indy

First of all, no spots are locked up!!!!!!

We win the SEC-T, and we get no worse than a 3 (chance at s 2).

Secondly, did I miss something, is there a reason why we and IU both couldn't play in Louisville?

Lastly, you always want a 3 over a 4!

Reactions: IL Wildcat

Secondly, did I miss something, is there a reason why we and IU both couldn't play in Louisville?

We both couldn't play in Louisville as 3 seeds....that was my point. Of course nothing is locked up, but those 3 certainly seem very likely to be 3 seeds.

Now another scenario could be.....IU wins B1G Tourney and UK wins SECT. Maybe IU is a 2 and UK a 3? How much fun would that be at the YUM?

IU could get a 2 if they win the Big Ten Tourney. I actually hope it happens and UK is in IU's bracket in Louisville or Chicago.

Honestly, I don't think UK deserves the Louisville region. I don't think you should play that close to home unless you are a 1 or 2 seed.

And yes, I'm sure it's happened before - but that doesn't make it right. It wouldn't be fair to any of the 1 seeds to have to play a Sweet 16 game against a 4-seed UK in Louisville. It just wouldn't.

Selfishly, sure I hope it happens. But if the situation were reversed, and we were a No. 1 seed playing a No. 4 an hour from their campus, this board would lose its mind.
It seems like dUKe and unc get to play in NC almost every year, so why doesn't UK?

It's not about that though if say UK was the 4th 3 seed and IU was the 3rd 3 seed. I talked about this earlier in another thread this morning but according to the mock draft media session the committee does geographical curve for 1-3 strength of the seeds. The 4th of any seed 1-4 is sent where ever this is an open slot.

IU could get a 2 if they win the Big Ten Tourney. I actually hope it happens and UK is in IU's bracket in Louisville or Chicago.

They won't. MSU will win that tourney. If MSU wins out I think they get a 1.

I disagree you always want a 3 over a 4 this year as well to the other poster. None of these 1 seeds, other than maybe KU, are that impressive and I doubt we are put in KU's region as a 4 seed.

It seems like dUKe and unc get to play in NC almost every year, so why doesn't UK?

To be fair, Louisville is hosting a regional this year and Greensboro to my knowledge only hosted the first 2 rounds. The two times the Yum Center has had the first round games ('12 and '15) UK played there. Before the first round games were in Lexington and UK can't play there,.

I may vomit after saying this, but IU is a good ball team right now. Now Clappy still has plenty of time for them to flame out, but as of today they're not bad.

Reactions: iufan71

But those are first and second round games. There's only been 1 regional held in the state of North Carolina in the last 20 years. That was in Charlotte, and UNC was in that region, but they were the No. 1 seed.

I just firmly believe teams that have earned a No. 1 seed should be protected from playing what amounts to a road game in the Sweet 16.

I don't care if it's a regional. unc and dUKe have played many games in NC over there years. And that has bound to have given them an edge. Now, UK finally has a place in KY where they can play. I say they deserve the chance. SCREW iu!!!!!!

If the experts and media are right most are saying that the NCAA Committee will put UK and IU in same region and have them as a possible match-up at Sweet 16 or Elite 8 game. This could mean that IU would be the #3 Seed and UK the #4 Seed or IU the 2 seed and UK the 3 seed in the South Region. I can't believe we have Kentucky Fans saying we don't deserve the South Region and Possibly playing in Louisville. We had some tough breaks with injuries to Hawkins, Ulis, Poythress, and Willis. If we finish the SEC Tourney at 3-0 and finish 26-8 and go 10-2 in our last 12 games.We had the most difficult SEC schedule in last 7 games playing 4 on the Road at South Carolina, at TA&M, at Vandy, at UF and home vs. BAMA, UT, and LSU. We could get #3 Seed or #2 Seed depending on how the other teams ahead of us fare in there Confernce Tournaments. It sounds like the Committee would love to see UK and IU in same bracket eventually matching up in Sweet 16 or Elite 8 game in Louisville in the South Region. That would be awesome to have UK and IU match up in the S16 or E8 game in a packed Louisville YUM Center!

Reactions: mdlUK.1
I don't care if it's a regional. unc and dUKe have played many games in NC over there years. And that has bound to have given them an edge. Now, UK finally has a place in KY where they can play. I say they deserve the chance. SCREW iu!!!!!!

Do you understand how the POD system works?

IU would fill the Yum! Center just fine. All you have to do is see how they packed Freedom Hall in 1991 and Rupp Arena in 2002. They travel just fine in NCAA Tournament play.

IU would fill the Yum! Center just fine. All you have to do is see how they packed Freedom Hall in 1991 and Rupp Arena in 2002. They travel just fine in NCAA Tournament play.
I'm sure IU fans would travel to the Yum Center. It's close to Indiana and the IU fans should have plenty of money saved for the tourney because they haven't been to the final 4 in many years.

Could IU be our saving grace to get to Louisville? They will bring fans, therefore cutting down on UKs numbers some. May actually help us get there. Thoughts?

Reactions: KWilt43atbuzz
Could IU be our saving grace to get to Louisville? They will bring fans, therefore cutting down on UKs numbers some. May actually help us get there. Thoughts?
I don't know how much they would cut into our numbers. The tickets are sold out and guess who bought the vast majority of them? UK fans.

Now there will be plenty on the secondary market as well, but IU fans aren't going to outspend UK fans for those. It would still be 80/20 UK/IU if we played them there.

I don't know how much they would cut into our numbers. The tickets are sold out and guess who bought the vast majority of them? UK fans.

Now there will be plenty on the secondary market as well, but IU fans aren't going to outspend UK fans for those. It would still be 80/20 UK/IU if we played them there.
Yeah. I'm just wanting to get to Louisville badly. If IU in any way helps us get there, I'm all for it.

But those are first and second round games. There's only been 1 regional held in the state of North Carolina in the last 20 years. That was in Charlotte, and UNC was in that region, but they were the No. 1 seed.

I just firmly believe teams that have earned a No. 1 seed should be protected from playing what amounts to a road game in the Sweet 16.
The 2003 Kentucky Wildcats say hello. Do you remember who they played in the 2003 Midwest Regional semis and finals?

Thank you . Just asinine to say they are . We have no idea what the committee is thinking . WE will be a 3 seed if we win out IMO as our RPI , SOS ect are too high.

The 2003 Kentucky Wildcats say hello. Do you remember who they played in the 2003 Midwest Regional semis and finals?

Yes, I do. And I didn't like it one bit. As I said - I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying I don't like it when it does, and I'm not going to be a hypocrite just because it might benefit us this year. The No. 1 seed should be protected from playing a virtual road game whenever possible.

We win out and IU doesnt make Big 10 Final....
I think its UK 3 in Louisville, Indiana 4 seed.

POD system was designed to benefit the top 4 seeds in each region where possible, not just the 1 seeds. The AD's and presidents of the universities elected to use the system to minimize expenses instead of having a true seeding of the tournament.

As such, fans of other teams (especially those in North Carolina!) should not be crying over the fact that the state of Kentucky now has a venue in which the Goliath of college basketball can play it's NCAA games utilizing the rules put in place. In other words, if Kentucky does not receive the chance to play in the Louisville Regional being a 4 seed or less, there better be a better reason than trying to protect the poor Tar Holes, who have benefitted for years by having games in their back yard!

i think the selections are made before the final SECT game
we need to win the first two

POD system was designed to benefit the top 4 seeds in each region where possible, not just the 1 seeds.

Yes, but the pod system only deals with sites for rounds 1 and 2. I really think that the Cats have a better shot at the Louisville region if they are a 5 seed. Then the committee could explain that UK was never expected to reach the regional anyway.

I don't mind if UK gets to play in Chicago. It's only about 6.5 to 7 hours from Lexington, and it's only 40 minutes from my house. I live in the southwest suburbs.

I'd imagine our fans would dominate any regional set in Chicago. Plus, Tyler and Charles would have the added incentive of playing in front of their hometown fans.

Chicago-based fans are typically good about rooting for hometown products. Any Chicago-area fan without a rooting interest going into that gym would be cheering for Kentucky within two minutes of tipoff.

We win out and IU doesnt make Big 10 Final....
I think its UK 3 in Louisville, Indiana 4 seed.

I really wish the SEC Tourney wrapped up a day early. Historically, it doesn't seem like the committee even factors in the SEC Tourney championship game. Plus, it would be great for UK to have that Sunday off and rest and relax for the full day on Selection Sunday.

POD system was designed to benefit the top 4 seeds in each region where possible, not just the 1 seeds. The AD's and presidents of the universities elected to use the system to minimize expenses instead of having a true seeding of the tournament.

As such, fans of other teams (especially those in North Carolina!) should not be crying over the fact that the state of Kentucky now has a venue in which the Goliath of college basketball can play it's NCAA games utilizing the rules put in place. In other words, if Kentucky does not receive the chance to play in the Louisville Regional being a 4 seed or less, there better be a better reason than trying to protect the poor Tar Holes, who have benefitted for years by having games in their back yard!
The POD system strictly deals with the first two rounds. I'm not sure why people in this thread are having such a hard time realizing that. As others have pointed out, yes, from time to time, a lower seeded team might have a geographical advantage over a higher seeded team in a Regional, but it's rare that this happens and if it does, it's not due to the POD system.

The POD system strictly deals with the first two rounds. I'm not sure why people in this thread are having such a hard time realizing that. As others have pointed out, yes, from time to time, a lower seeded team might have a geographical advantage over a higher seeded team in a Regional, but it's rare that this happens and if it does, it's not due to the POD system.
POD system was put in place to minimize travel in the first two rounds. The same thinking carries over to the Regional sites. There is just no way to have teams from different regional semifinal sites to play the regional finals.

That was the impetus behind the change, to minimize expenses in ALL rounds. The POD just made it easier to sever the first two rounds from the regionals. The same concepts remain for the regionals however. The top FOUR seeds are given preference to regional locations.

This was a change implemented by AD's and presidents. UNC and Duke have benefitted from it nearly every year. Only since the Yum Center was built have we been able to do so, since the Cats are prevented from playing in Rupp due to home court restrictions.

Last edited:
I hope IU gets sent as far away as possible! My wife is an IU grad. She would want to get tickets and go. I would not be able to take being around all the IU fans. She has gone with me the past couple of years to to UK games in Indy and Louisville, but most UK fans are not dicks like Indiana fans. Even after doing nothing for 30 years they are insufferable!

Reactions: OldEvilleCat
ADVERTISEMENT