ADVERTISEMENT

Corruption Scandal/FBI

if the number of schools that Thamel is throwing around is accurate then everyone should be worried - including us
Thamel has been trying so hard to dig ANYTHING he could on Cal since his arrival at U.K. If we were involved in this, he wouldn't wait to implicate Cal.

Cal made it known how he felt about the "triumvirate" of writers that had a personal vendetta against him a few years ago. He exposed their bias and their credibility took a major hit, Thamel was one of the main culprits.

So IMHO, if U.K. were one of the schools ALL of the "hate Cal and U.K. Media"(Thamel, Forde, Goodman, etc) would have already named us.

First of all, the obituary of US media was written in 2017. I no longer believe anything anyone says. "Sources close to the situation" my ass. Wikileaks confirmed what we always thought we knew - that people are both getting into bed and conspiring against the people they're covering, depending.

Mark Schlabach actually beat Thamel by a day. Schlabach says "as many as three dozen school" while Thamel says up to 50.

Put those 2 things together and I wouldn't be surprised if its all wildly hyped and inflated. Although, as Gonzo points out, if you're one of the ones accused in this, you should hope it's a hundred schools.

Both say that there's 2 different ways to get caught up in this. First, the FBI intercepted over 4,000 phone calls. Second, they have Andy Miller's bank records. On the first one there's no way to make any educated guesses as to who might be involved. But with Miller looks like you could somehow back into some educated guesses, starting with his client list which was linked earlier.

Those thinking it's going to be Duke are going to be severely disappointed. In fact -- and I know this is going to be incredibly unpopular here -- their recent haul and our steep decline in recruiting (compared to the last 8 years) has me really worried.

It's almost as if there's information out there in the recruiting circles that is positive for them and negative for us. To take that further, if this goes down like many are saying, college basketball will be on life support. What better way to try to save the sport than to have the white knight -- the guy who has always done things "the right way" -- to have a super team to try to get attention back on the court rather than off it.

You think every kid and program knows we're in trouble and Duke is clean and yet none of that has made its way to anyone who covers college basketball?

Some of the Duke paranoia here is completely out of control.

If true, somebody better throw Thamel Toe a hanky. Syracuse will be on the top of the list.

No way any top talent with options would want to play for in that crap hole town, in the giant airline hanger of an arena, running that gimmick zone, for that sour puss coach, without getting paid.

I'd be shocked if Arizona and Kansas aren't dirty.

As a Duke fan, I'm also worried. Our recent run of recruiting success - especially with last-minute guys like Duval and Bagley - and with an assistant coach who was previously busted at OK - is pretty crazy and while I hope it's legit, I'd be lying to say I wasn't concerned.

Having said that - it seems strange that nothing much has happened the last few months, so who knows if these "sources" actually have any clue. Seems like something would have leaked by now if it was as massive as this article says.

You've got nothing to worry about. Now, if you were a Cleveland State fan you'd have a huge reason to worry!

Hoping our subpar play isn't a result of the staff/players knowing this is looming. Though watching them on the court it just seems like it's more ineptitude.

If we are somehow dirty, Duke definitely has to be with all their gets lately.

The sudden Bagley "injury" is very interesting. They have Clemson on deck... Curious to see if he plays.

Reactions: TM2013
If you use a fine-tooth comb to investigate every BB and FB team in the country, I'm not sure you will find one single program that is 100% clean. You never know what a kid, especially one struggling financially, might do. There's too much temptation, too many dirty handlers and too many greedy family members around who want to take advantage of their situation. And this can be done without any coach knowing what's going on.

If true, somebody better throw Thamel Toe a hanky. Syracuse will be on the top of the list.

No way any top talent with options would want to play for in that crap hole town, in the giant airline hanger of an arena, running that gimmick zone, for that sour puss coach, without getting paid.
No kid that wants to play "D" in the NBA...

Reactions: RonEJones
Reading the story it has nothing to do with any of this. There are apparently parents upset with the treatment of their kids.
Good, I thought I read elsewhere that there were multiple reasons behind it. Good to hear.

The article says that if the information under seal leaks out before the selection committee meets this year, you could see Tennessee Chattanooga as a two seed.

The notion that “They’re watching Cal, if they knew anything it would already be out” doesn’t apply here. The NCAA doesn’t know anything, nor does the media. Or it would be out, I agree. They didn’t know anything about U6 and Bowen, either and we see how that turned out. This is the FBI we’re talking about here, not the NCAA. They have powers the NCAA doesn’t, such as the ability to wire tap, etc. And theyre not releasing anything to anyone until the time is right. So no, it wouldn’t already be out. My only hope is that if we go down that K and Duke go down with us.

Last thing, Who are notable recruits from other schools that have used Andy Miller as an agent. Heres a link. Notables stanley johnson, austin rivers, myles turner. Then you have keith bogans lol.
https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent-client-list/Andy-Miller/14
Rivers didn't start out with Miller's agency. He switched after he was a pro.

Cal
Coach K
Izzo
Boeheim
Roy Williams
Bill Self

Current coaches in the hall of fame
Came to post this. Good work.

The articles are trying to capture viewers so they write them as sensational as possible.Some of it could be a recycling of information we already know about.Timing of this begins to seem suspect,we are getting close to conference tourneys and the NCAAT, what better way to build suspense and anticipation.Treat it like a soap opera,throw in a few insinuated twists and turns for everyone.

8 of the top 16 seeds? That cuts us out as no way are we a 4 seed or better

Let's guess which teams from the list are being targeted.

To make it more interesting which schools have lottery picks, HOF coaches and are top 16 seeds?

Perhaps, but I've made a similar comment on this board. Why would the NCAA allow a team to participate in the post season, when the FBI has them on tape committing egregious violations? Seems to me they'd want to avoid having to vacate a post season. We'll find out soon enough.
The generated revenue...

To make it more interesting which schools have lottery picks, HOF coaches and are top 16 seeds?

Auburn, Kansas, and Arizona seem like safe bets.

(don’t tell @SacramentoKat, he’ll bet his house.)

Last edited:
Those thinking it's going to be Duke are going to be severely disappointed. In fact -- and I know this is going to be incredibly unpopular here -- their recent haul and our steep decline in recruiting (compared to the last 8 years) has me really worried.

It's almost as if there's information out there in the recruiting circles that is positive for them and negative for us. To take that further, if this goes down like many are saying, college basketball will be on life support. What better way to try to save the sport than to have the white knight -- the guy who has always done things "the right way" -- to have a super team to try to get attention back on the court rather than off it.
im sure more than me has seen a different demeanor Cal this year , as well i say he looks 20 years older , and it has nothing to do with this team. I frankly believe the team is a good distraction.
This is the trouble when you sign your soul to a group - religion - political - etc, and let it hurt you too deep and end up looking silly defending something that blows up in your face. I used to be very happy u of l had a pretty clean record but i afmittted early it got weird when these 4 stars showed up this year. It’s cool we’ve all been there right?

can you be more specific in what the negatives vs UK could be in recruiting circles?

Reactions: FrankUnderwood

ESPN's list of lottery picks excluding foreign players

Deandre Ayton- Arizona
Mohamed Bamba- Texas
Marvin Bagley III- Duke
Jaren Jackson- Michigan St
Michael Porter- Missouri
Trae Young- Oklahoma
Wendell Carter- Duke
Miles Bridges- Michigan St
Collin Sexton- Alabama
Mikal Bridges- Villanova
Kevin Knox- Kentucky
Robert Williams- Texas A&M
Troy Brown- Oregon

I think UNC May be tied up in this. Kind of similar to Bowen I think. Little was a heavy lean to either Zona or Miami and supposedly offered 150K. Out of nowhere he drops those two and ends up at UNCheat???

Reactions: TM2013 and Fox2monk
I'd be shocked if Arizona and Kansas aren't dirty.

As a Duke fan, I'm also worried. Our recent run of recruiting success - especially with last-minute guys like Duval and Bagley - and with an assistant coach who was previously busted at OK - is pretty crazy and while I hope it's legit, I'd be lying to say I wasn't concerned.

Having said that - it seems strange that nothing much has happened the last few months, so who knows if these "sources" actually have any clue. Seems like something would have leaked by now if it was as massive as this article says.

Whatever you think the FBI has on this multiply it by ten. The amount of red tape and beaurocracy of the hovers will mean tens of thousands of documents, untold tape, film, money transactions. Etc. just depends on what law they can and will apply to it.

I think UNC May be tied up in this. Kind of similar to Bowen I think. Little was a heavy lean to either Zona or Miami and supposedly offered 150K. Out of nowhere he drops those two and ends up at UNCheat???

There are only so many HOF coaches, top 16 programs and whatnot. If we escape this I will feel blessed.

If they take away any wins this year will them dirty no goods take away our NIT game if we were involved. And heaven help anybody that pay more than $10 to any of our players if so I have some land for sell

Thamel has been trying so hard to dig ANYTHING he could on Cal since his arrival at U.K. If we were involved in this, he wouldn't wait to implicate Cal.

Cal made it known how he felt about the "triumvirate" of writers that had a personal vendetta against him a few years ago. He exposed their bias and their credibility took a major hit, Thamel was one of the main culprits.

So IMHO, if U.K. were one of the schools ALL of the "hate Cal and U.K. Media"(Thamel, Forde, Goodman, etc) would have already named us.

Goodman’s recent article on ESPN about this being the worst Cal Kentucky team reeks of his hate as well. What a turd.

Reactions: catben
It is a known fact Thamel and Goodman hate Cal with every thing possible in them. They are both garbage and sometime just make things up about BBN and Cal

what are the chances the perfect march madness bracket and 1 million dollar prize goes to some fbi flatfoot this year?

There are only so many HOF coaches, top 16 programs and whatnot. If we escape this I will feel blessed.

Exactly. Skal had a handler. Murray was a late get. Fox had someone from AAU post on twitter that he knew what he was getting (Fox denied). Arkansas raised a huge fuss about Monk. Adebayo was supposed to go to NC State. We know about Davis and his dad. The Harrisons father worked for Under Armor.

Take any one of these and it's nothing. Look at all of them and then look at what two writers have now said, and it makes me nervous. Cal has said himself "I'm no saint" and then when asked about this thing at the start of the season would only say "we don't know where this thing is going to go".

And this season something has been different. He seems different. I just hope they nail the other blue bloods at the same time. A UNC friend of mine said Duke will be left out because they are a private institution and the FBI wouldn't care about them. Hope that's not true.

The articles are trying to capture viewers so they write them as sensational as possible.Some of it could be a recycling of information we already know about.Timing of this begins to seem suspect,we are getting close to conference tourneys and the NCAAT, what better way to build suspense and anticipation.Treat it like a soap opera,throw in a few insinuated twists and turns for everyone.
You're very perceptive.:pimp:

The FBI doesn't "leak". You should be worried. Weird things going on at Duke these past 3 years, and Capel has already been proven to be a massive cheat.

Sorry (not sorry) to say this, but I hope your school gets the ultimate smack down and K's grand retirement plans are shot ALL TO HELL!

"The FBI doesn't leak"? Where did you get that crazy idea? I saw James Comey (sic) testify to the House Oversight folks that he leaked materials on Trump. If the director of the FBI is leaking, then you can bet others in the FBI are leaking.............

Last edited:
Well, if this gets the shoe companies and the AAU handlers out of college ball. I am all for it, no matter who gets hit.

Reactions: T-Bickle
You are misunderstanding ..... We can be clean.. all it takes is for Nike to have paid one of our players to sign with them in the future... or hell even Adidas or another shoe company...and without anyone at UK knowing but that player.... it still will hit us and effect us

If so just hire the best attorney and use the I didn't know Duke defense used with Maggette. If that doesn't work then sue the crap out of the NCAA for discrimination or selective enforcement of the rules.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood

Do we have that list by shoe company?

Not worried about Cal. Coaches cheat so they can win. Cal stated several days ago, he's not worried his record, or the teams record. He also has stated that he is not here to win championships, but to put players In the NBA. Players first. Plus he already gets most of the players he wants, and he's rich, so money wouldn't be the reason. I love coach Cal, just disagree with his objectives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT