ADVERTISEMENT

Corruption Scandal/FBI

“The soundtrack to the three federal basketball corruption cases is essentially a ticking time bomb, which will inevitably explode. It will impact every major conference, Hall of Fame coaches, a score of current top players and some of the nation’s most distinguished and respected programs.”

“NCAA officials are staring at the prospect of a tournament with a winner that will likely be vacating its title – and many others eventually vacating their appearances. There’s a lingering mushroom cloud over the sport’s upcoming showcase event that won’t go away. The most fascinating and tricky variable here is time.”

And drumroll please.... #UNCHEATS still got away with 20+ years of Academic Fraud.... poetic justice for the UNCAA...

Reactions: awf
The NCAA knew about the shoe companies 20 years ago.. This has always been their way of players getting paid without losing the NCAA's tax status...

Just make it within the rules for shoe companies to give players money under the condition that the players arent told to go to which schools. Get with the shoe companies and make it a max amount of money or something

if the number of schools that Thamel is throwing around is accurate then everyone should be worried - including us

Reactions: awf
We have to be the cleanest program in the country we have a local reporter who does nothing but try to dig up dirt. Sorry don't think we are in this. We are selling them on huge bucks in the future. Just look at the kids we won't touch or walk away from. When Bowen was available we could have used a shooter We all thought Diallo was gonna leave but Cal looked at 2 four stars instead of contacting Bowen that tells me we aren't playing that game. Past couple seasons we always have recruits out there that seemingly meet our recruiting needs that Cal just won't talk to some like Preston who made it very public he wanted us to recruit him. I think we are the most scrutinized program and there for forced to be cleaner than the rest not many places to hide in the spotlight.

So after reading it all. You have to Think Bagely and Ayton. They will go in the top 3 and seem like the easy choice of the lottery picks. If Kentucky can come out of this unscathed it will be absolutely amazing.

Who was our only player that used This guy as an agent? Teague?

It would certainly be amazing if we came out unscathed, but if it's truly THIS big, the sport of college basketball will be demolished.

It's already taken hits on attendance and coverage. It's clear that this is an inferior product when compared to the NBA. March Madness (if there's even such an event 10 years from now) will only mean something to hardcore fans and degenerates.

If it's 50 schools, it's everyone who matters. It's us and Duke and Kansas and Carolina and Arizona and everyone you can imagine. It's anyone who has recruited anyone worth paying.

Which means it really won't matter. If everyone gets hit, it's still an even playing field. Everyone who can compete with be under sanctions and it'll basically kill the sport.
Bingo. Post of the day. There would be no basketball in college if 50 schools are involved in scandal. At least not the basketball anyone would want to watch and pay big $$$$ to watch. It would turn into a club sport like wrestling or ice hockey. Should be fun to see what happens, if anything

We have to be the cleanest program in the country we have a local reporter who does nothing but try to dig up dirt. Sorry don't think we are in this. We are selling them on huge bucks in the future. Just look at the kids we won't touch or walk away from. When Bowen was available we could have used a shooter We all thought Diallo was gonna leave but Cal looked at 2 four stars instead of contacting Bowen that tells me we aren't playing that game. Past couple seasons we always have recruits out there that seemingly meet our recruiting needs that Cal just won't talk to some like Preston who made it very public he wanted us to recruit him. I think we are the most scrutinized program and there for forced to be cleaner than the rest not many places to hide in the spotlight.

You are misunderstanding ..... We can be clean.. all it takes is for Nike to have paid one of our players to sign with them in the future... or hell even Adidas or another shoe company...and without anyone at UK knowing but that player.... it still will hit us and effect us

Honestly I think the FBI will keep most of it secret....... and even if they hand it to the NCAA... they'll keep it secret.

Yep I agree. This paragraph stuck out more than all the others. Gives the NCAA the excuse to punish some and excuse others under the auspices of “respecting the criminal investigation.” puke, Kansas and unccheat’s get out of jail free card. Then again it’s that dick Thamel (of the Bledsoe transcript “leak”) “reporting.

Will it trickle out? Or get released all at once? That’s complicated and procedural. The NCAA’s involvement in this case so far has been minimal. They’ve been in consistent contact with the federal investigators, careful to respect the boundaries of the criminal investigations. Whenever the information is released from under protective order, the NCAA will have to continue to respect the boundaries of the criminal investigations as they begin their own.

I'd be shocked if Arizona and Kansas aren't dirty.

As a Duke fan, I'm also worried. Our recent run of recruiting success - especially with last-minute guys like Duval and Bagley - and with an assistant coach who was previously busted at OK - is pretty crazy and while I hope it's legit, I'd be lying to say I wasn't concerned.

Having said that - it seems strange that nothing much has happened the last few months, so who knows if these "sources" actually have any clue. Seems like something would have leaked by now if it was as massive as this article says.
The FBI doesn't "leak". You should be worried. Weird things going on at Duke these past 3 years, and Capel has already been proven to be a massive cheat.

Sorry (not sorry) to say this, but I hope your school gets the ultimate smack down and K's grand retirement plans are shot ALL TO HELL!

he’s leaving something out. depth of “material” or evidenc? the ncaa doesn’t have to do anything that could make it look any worse. they could wait until appeals on charges anyway. he’s saying it like the ncaa would put all accused on probation or strip them of eligibility. that would never happen so fast. they are too corrupt. they need months to think about anything.

My biggest takeaway from both articles is the very real possibility that the evidence may never reach the NCAA and depending on what that evidence is, the NCAA may not even be able to act on it. If they think UNCheat lawyered up, wait til they have half of the P5 schools bucking for all they're worth. Interestingly, this could be the straw that forces P5 schools to abandon the NCAA.

Thamel loves hyperbole and sensationalism so I'll take it all with a grain of salt for now.

This comment makes me think some post season bans are going to drop:

NCAA officials are staring at the prospect of a tournament with a winner that will likely be vacating its title – and many others eventually vacating their appearances.

You are misunderstanding ..... We can be clean.. all it takes is for Nike to have paid one of our players to sign with them in the future... or hell even Adidas or another shoe company...and without anyone at UK knowing but that player.... it still will hit us and effect us

This is what makes it bigger than the coach or the schools. Coach K came out in sept when this started . Do you remember what he said?
These kids are corrupted before they even get to us. Eighth graders are treated like kings .

So the Amateur Athletic Union has a lot of ‘splainin to do.
The ncaa is at fault for letting the shoe company’s in the hen house.
Now it should come out that colleges have been playing pro players.
Gloating your coach is clean is moot. We all wondered how he did it but it was growing legs on its own and everyone does it through the shoes. Laundering recruits.
I can’t say why Pitino got his name in it especially while on probation. He must have had a senile moment.
Now the schools are the ones getting scammed as the FBI even said. There’s millions flying around and the schools suffer scholarship costs other students could be getting better educated with. At one point in time this was student athlete competition and the by law’s are written as such.
A unique step would be for a class action lawsuit the schools could serve the shoe companies for fraud and conspiracy that puts them at odds with the NCAA’s by laws regarding protecting amateurism. The schools liability in monetary terms are huge when the penalty axe comes down .
Oh wait . The shoe companies pay employees inside the athletic dept’s salaries.
It’s a frighin mess is what it is.

oh and to think your school was , by a wishing star , one of the few to be lucky to get the clean 5 stars or four stars ??? If it’s hamdked right , our sport needs a paradigm shift.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanHalen88
This comment makes me think some post season bans are going to drop:

NCAA officials are staring at the prospect of a tournament with a winner that will likely be vacating its title – and many others eventually vacating their appearances.
That's speculation, and sensationalism, from Thamel.

This is fascinating. The first thing that comes to mind is that the NCAA isn’t staffed to handle 50 cases like this along with all the other cases in other sports. They just can’t tackle it individually I wouldn’t think. This reminds me of the Major League Baseball steroid scandal. It’s possible that they just have to re-boot college basketball and start fresh with re-written rules and punishment structure. There was a handful of martyrs in the steroid bust and then the league put everyone on notice and they trudged on with new policies. This could be an interesting summer

That's speculation, and sensationalism, from Thamel.
Perhaps, but I've made a similar comment on this board. Why would the NCAA allow a team to participate in the post season, when the FBI has them on tape committing egregious violations? Seems to me they'd want to avoid having to vacate a post season. We'll find out soon enough.

If they have all this dirt and evidence on all these schools, how did they decide to lead with the Bowen thing? The article said they worked on this probe for 300 plus days. Why the UL thing and not someone else that went public?

Last edited:
Reactions: bluevincent
This is gonna be very interesting to watch play out. Holy cow. Imagine if it does take some of these current HOF coaches?
My goodness, the sport could be crushed.

I just don't believe Cal would be that stupid. He waited 20 yrs to get a job like Kentucky. I just can't believe he would be involved and throw all that away.

Cal doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. If a Nike rep or a UK fan/booster paid a player behind Cal's back, then the end result is still the same.

2 things to consider:

- Cal's history of not keeping a close eye on everything at UMass and Memphis, which resulted in vacated seasons even though he wasn't responsible for the violations

- the report that Anthony Davis' father was shopping his commitment. The report came out about a week after a couple big schools suddenly dropped out of his recruitment.

What I want to hear is that the statute of limitations has expired, and no matter what they find, the 2012 title can not be touched. Because if we are being 100% honest with each other, the idea that some UK booster paid AD's dad under the table seems like a legit concern. Chicago hoops recruiting has always been shady.

Those thinking it's going to be Duke are going to be severely disappointed. In fact -- and I know this is going to be incredibly unpopular here -- their recent haul and our steep decline in recruiting (compared to the last 8 years) has me really worried.

It's almost as if there's information out there in the recruiting circles that is positive for them and negative for us. To take that further, if this goes down like many are saying, college basketball will be on life support. What better way to try to save the sport than to have the white knight -- the guy who has always done things "the right way" -- to have a super team to try to get attention back on the court rather than off it.

Those thinking it's going to be Duke are going to be severely disappointed. In fact -- and I know this is going to be incredibly unpopular here -- their recent haul and our steep decline in recruiting (compared to the last 8 years) has me really worried.

It's almost as if there's information out there in the recruiting circles that is positive for them and negative for us. To take that further, if this goes down like many are saying, college basketball will be on life support. What better way to try to save the sport than to have the white knight -- the guy who has always done things "the right way" -- to have a super team to try to get attention back on the court rather than off it.
I’m going to lean the complete opposite of you and go with the team getting the players all of a sudden should be more concerning than the team not getting them.

ADVERTISEMENT