ADVERTISEMENT

Correct me if im wrong, but does UK have 7 Helms titles?

TyCatPrice14

Sophomore
Jul 11, 2007
I know probably everyone is tired of talking about them or at least the other programs saying they have more national championships because of the helms, but according to this article we have 7 Helms titles, which means if anyone says helms count we would have 15 national championships? I know some are the same years we won the national championship (not counting 1933 or 1954).

http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/basketball/college/helmscollegechampionship.htm

Last edited:
I know probably everyone is tired of talking about them or at least the other programs saying they have more national championships because of the helms, but according to this article we have 7 Helms titles, which means if anyone says helms count we would have 15 national championships? I know some are the same years we won the national championship (not counting 1933 or 1954).

UK's 7 Helms titles listed below:

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/TeamHelmsTitles.html

These are titles, not national championships.

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
There was no NCAA Tournament in 1933. It started in 1939. For most years after the Tournament started the Helms title was awarded to the winner of the NCAA tournament. However, the 53-54 Wildcats were awarded the Helms title over LaSalle because they were the best team that year. Coach Rupp did not take his team to the Tournament that year because his top three players were ruled ineligible to play. The rule that made them ineligible was changed the next season.

Last edited:
Helms Foundation titles are generally accepted in college basketball and universally accepted in college football.

Helms Foundation titles are generally accepted in college basketball and universally accepted in college football.

Generally accepted by schools who do not have enough REAL titles, so they have to hang the bakery fake ones up next to a real one.

I mean really? One guy at a bakery made this decision and a blueblood like Kansas portrays them as accomplishments on par with winning the tournament... sad.

Generally accepted by schools who do not have enough REAL titles, so they have to hang the bakery fake ones up next to a real one.

I mean really? One guy at a bakery made this decision and a blueblood like Kansas portrays them as accomplishments on par with winning the tournament... sad.
Years after the fact.

The Helms foundation would have awarded the 2015 title in about 2035 without ever seeing UK play if you use the standard for pre tournament Helms recipients . Whoopsie , only problem is that UK didn't win it all . So I would bet a significant portion of those Helms recipients never would have won a tournament , I feel confident in Kansas choking pre tournament as well .

Reactions: brianpoe
They were accepted and claimed by your Coach Rupp. Duke, UK and Louisville fan base seemed to be biggest group of fans that oppose any mention of Helms.

Maybe students will get custom made bread wrappers with helms on them and throw them around and maybe several will blow across the court towards their feet and force the announcers to talk about the bread wrapper banners.

Again, the great Coach Rupp told the story many times that he played on and coached a National Championship team. Maybe he didn't tell Pat Reley about the Cracker Jacks.

Well the UK football does have one.

It is completely different. In basketball, there is a tournament that crowns the national champion and there is zero arguing who the champion is. In football, prior to this past year and definitely prior to the BCS, it was a media voted title. 1950 is the perfect example of why such a title, it football, means something (I believe UK was voted national champions by Sagarin that year). Oklahoma is known as the consensus National Champion in football in 1950. One problem, they finished 10-1 and their lone loss was to UK in a bowl game, who finished 11-1. In recent college football, UK would have been voted National Champions after the completion of that season imo.

What was Coach Rupp's reasons when he listed his "Helms Foundation National Championships"?
OK, I'll bite.

Can you provide any evidence that Rupp referenced a Helms National Championship and when did he do it.

My assumption is that if he did actually mention it, it was prior to his winning the tournament. So, it would be consistent with KU and UNC in that they mentioned it solely in an effort to inflate their title count.

Also, I find it funny how these jackasses from UNC and Kansas who attempt to justify their use of Helms titles in their overall title count, don't seem to include all of UK's when referencing the number of titles Kentucky holds.

It just seems like UK (after Rupp) and Duke fans are the only fan base that complains about it. Different perspectives...

It just seems like UK (after Rupp) and Duke fans are the only fan base that complains about it. Different perspectives...

You can't answer the questions so you ignore them.

I'll ask you once again. Provide some evidence that Rupp mentioned Helms as national titles and when did he do it.

If you can't or won't answer these, I invite you to go eff yourself and leave this board.

You know I figured you guys would be sick of discussing this subject for the trillionth time. I'm not sure why you care so much.

Who cares?

We don't care. We just like making fun of the guys that cling to Helms "certificates of participation". Must be a sad existance when a program's claim to fame comes in a bread wrapper. And you know what the best part is?

The boneheads keep coming back. Fish in a barrel.

You can't answer the questions so you ignore them.

I'll ask you once again. Provide some evidence that Rupp mentioned Helms as national titles and when did he do it.

If you can't or won't answer these, I invite you to go eff yourself and leave this board.

I am not ignoring you. Trying to work today. I found it on my own but I will help you in your search. Kindness is important.

You know I figured you guys would be sick of discussing this subject for the trillionth time. I'm not sure why you care so much.

I want to know if in the future are you going to hang your YMCA titles in your gym.

Does the 4 Helms Championships that 'Bama claims in football cause this issue on the football board?

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about concerning the way that Rupp viewed Helms titles. He publicly called them mythical titles. This article is from 1935.

Now run along and go make up lies elsewhere to justify KU's mythical titles because we aren't buying that crap here. It is funny, though, that you thought you could come to a UK board of all places and make up lies about Rupp of all people.

1935_rupp_nationaltourney.jpg

Last edited:
Does the 4 Helms Championships that 'Bama claims in football cause this issue on the football board?

How many football championships has the NCAA ever directly awarded in Division 1 football? I'll give you a hint: If your answer is > than 1, you are wrong. No more than three guesses now.

Football is different for that exact reason. And yes, they squabble about meaningless titles all the time in football because they don't have real championships sponsored by the NCAA, like in basketball. As a result all they have to work with is fake crap, like Helms titles. You know the same fake crap that some basketball teams hang banners for.

UK has definitely claimed Helms championships.

Here is the 1954-55 Kentucky Media Guide, which claims they are the defending national champions: http://ebay.com/itm/1954-55-UK-Kentucky-Wildcats-Basketball-Media-Guide-Adolph-Rupp-/201003809620

And here is a link where Ed Beck talks about Kentucky showing off their Helms plaque in a successful attempt to get him to commit to UK: https://books.google.com/books?id=Z...X&ei=9d9bVZiADYvDggT9-oDQDw&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBjha

Everyone would rather have an NCAA championship, but UK, like Kansas and UNC, have long recognized the significance of a Helms title.

Reactions: RC_Texas
UK has definitely claimed Helms championships.

Here is the 1954-55 Kentucky Media Guide, which claims they are the defending national champions: http://ebay.com/itm/1954-55-UK-Kentucky-Wildcats-Basketball-Media-Guide-Adolph-Rupp-/201003809620

And here is a link where Ed Beck talks about Kentucky showing off their Helms plaque in a successful attempt to get him to commit to UK: https://books.google.com/books?id=Z...X&ei=9d9bVZiADYvDggT9-oDQDw&ved=0CDwQ6AEwBjha

Everyone would rather have an NCAA championship, but UK, like Kansas and UNC, have long recognized the significance of a Helms title.

Back in 1954-55 maybe. But if you read the newspaper article quoting Rupp, he even said they were not real titles. Today you guys still believe they are as real as NCAA championships are. That is comical.

ADVERTISEMENT