ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Evans says Wiseman to Memphis (low confidence level pick)

There's nothing to admit, because the opposing argument is arbitrary and constantly changing.

Cal couldn't win it with freshmen leading the way until he did. Now he needs top 5 player, unless we get number 7 and 8 and they're better than usual and no one gets hurt and Higgins doesn't ref and it doesn't rain that day and the wooly-worms are yellow.

It's also removing the claim from context, which is the entire reason the argument happened in the first place. Folks were panicking about recruiting and saying that because our recruiting was "down," that we couldn't be elite/title contenders. And then we got a lot of folks back, and the goal posts moved.

But I mean, if your claim is we need really good players with varying degrees of experience relative to their talent and readiness to win a title, sure. But that's not what the discussion was about in the first place. It was the definite restrictions and standards you guys made up and tried to claim were facts.

I'm not changing anything. Cal could win with 5 freshman starters, if you've got a legitimate top 5 NBA ready stud surrounded by other fringe NBA freshman guys and a few returnees.

No one said Cal couldn't win with freshman players. They said he couldn't win with ONLY freshman players, and I dont even believe that. So you're changing the topic.

The "top 5" discussion is about winning a championship without solid returning players or NBA ready athletes. Essentially, we can't win a title while returning very little, and only bringing in 10-30 range players. They just usually aren't impactful enough to offset the unbalance and lack of upperclassman. Top 5 guys like Randle, AD, MGK, Knight, KAT, etc are enough to offset that at times because they're NBA ready stars. Bam is not of that mold as good as he was. He wouldn't be enough to offset it and he wasn't. An exception to this could be Fox, who was just outside the top 5, that's why I just say top 5ish because that's usually where those guys are.

Kentucky under Cals youthful approach.

Titles without top 5 players? Zero.

Titles without two top 5 players - zero

Final fours without upperclassman and or top 5ish players - zero.

Going on 10 years.

Facts.

I think the problem a lot of us (some of us) have is the fixation on “top 5.”

I completely agree that we need elite talent with this model, or pretty good returning talent. I will argue to the end of time that we had elite talent in ‘17, with or without the top 5 designation.

People want to talk “proof” and try to make a Stats problem out of it, and it is pretty silly. Buzzer beaters bailed us out in ‘11 and ‘14, and bit us in ‘17. If you want to talk Stats, look at the luck factor, because that’s the only difference in how those seasons finished up.

We have missed out on most of the can’t miss, game-changing prospects the past few years. No disputing that, and I think we all now realize that there were a lot of shady underlying reasons for that.

I will also agree that our likelihood of being dominant decreases when we lack the AD/KAT level game-changer. I don’t think that assessment requires any math.

I think where we actually differ is that I’m ok with being one of the handful of best teams, with a decent shot at a title. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy dominance. But I enjoy a top 4-5 type team just as much.

I think you are still living under a thought process that Cal should be Wooden/UCLA level dominant. And I’m not saying you’re wrong, just that I understand how frustrating that must be. It’s certainly your prerogative to set the bar as high as you want. Just don’t be surprised when you get some pushback.

But I'm not talking about being dominant. We can be as dominant as we want to be, we aren't going to win a title without returning players, or if we dont have that, they better be impactful NBA ready freshman like Kat or AD or Randle. Hell, without a top 5 in Randle we wouldn't have even been a sweet 16 team imo.

Imagine being in the 2011 final four without a senior big man? Nope.

Imagine winning a title without AD on 2012. Nope.

Imagine being in the final four without KAT? Nope.

The Goodwins, Bams, Monks, Murray's etc are fantastic players. But they aren't dominant enough to be the game changers we need to offset unbalance and youth. They won't make final fours without other factors.

I expect Cal to put the best team possible on the court and I dont believe hes done that consistently. I think he was caught up in the glamorous idea of being the NBA's guy in college and rejected fundamental principles that has always been the answer.

But when he changed his approach, and he has because of Duke, we dont have to have AD.

I don't see where that's hard to accept, but some people can't. And the reason they can't is because they pushed the idea for years that we dont need balance, we dont need upperclassman, we need 13th ranked freshman and a basketball. Sorry, it was wrong then and it's wrong now.

I think Cal placed heavy expectations on himself. Coaches know better than to set an insanely high bar and Cal said F it, we're chasing UCLA. I'm on board, but don't say that then bring rosters like 2013 and be cool with it because the draft was awesome.

If we don't get a top 5 guy this year, I'm not sure when we ever will again. It will be the 4th yr in a row without one, and the last one we did get was Skal, who obviously was overrated. Towns is the last legit top 5 guy we got. It will cement the idea that something has drastically changed in the recruiting world and Cal and UK is just not seen as the place to go anymore. Have no idea what changed that, but something must have.
Everthing gonna bee aight

Beeleave in are Lord an Saver....Jon Cowaparee.

But I'm not talking about being dominant. We can be as dominant as we want to be, we aren't going to win a title without returning players, or if we dont have that, they better be impactful NBA ready freshman like Kat or AD or Randle. Hell, without a top 5 in Randle we wouldn't have even been a sweet 16 team imo.

Imagine being in the 2011 final four without a senior big man? Nope.

Imagine winning a title without AD on 2012. Nope.

Imagine being in the final four without KAT? Nope.

The Goodwins, Bams, Monks, Murray's etc are fantastic players. But they aren't dominant enough to be the game changers we need to offset unbalance and youth. They won't make final fours without other factors.

I expect Cal to put the best team possible on the court and I dont believe hes done that consistently. I think he was caught up in the glamorous idea of being the NBA's guy in college and rejected fundamental principles that has always been the answer.

But when he changed his approach, and he has because of Duke, we dont have to have AD.

I don't see where that's hard to accept, but some people can't. And the reason they can't is because they pushed the idea for years that we dont need balance, we dont need upperclassman, we need 13th ranked freshman and a basketball. Sorry, it was wrong then and it's wrong now.

I think Cal placed heavy expectations on himself. Coaches know better than to set an insanely high bar and Cal said F it, we're chasing UCLA. I'm on board, but don't say that then bring rosters like 2013 and be cool with it because the draft was awesome.

I think you are kind of all over the map here.

I think 2011 would have been fine with Kanter instead of Harrelson. Going to the FF with Harrelson does not constitute proof that they wouldn’t have gone with Enes.

The Bam/Monk/Fox group wouldn’t have needed many more factors to be a FF team. Just a smidge of luck. They lost in the EE on a buzzer beater.

I think you are talking about dominance. Not a hair of difference in how 2011, 2014, and 2017 performed down the stretch. Just the luck of the bounce had 2 of those teams in the FF and the other on the outside looking in. That isn’t proof. It’s just a lucky or unlucky result.

Dominance is what ‘12 and ‘15 were all about. Doesn’t mean perfection (unfortunately), but it does mean the deck was stacked in our favor.

When we don’t have dominance, when we are just one of those teams with a shot, I think you retrospectively put too much value on whatever attributes were possessed by the winning team.

If we had gotten a little luckier and knocked off UNC 2 years ago, I’m guessing you could have found a way to fit that team into your model of what it takes to make the FF. Sometimes we just have to back up and acknowledge that sans dominance, it is always going to take a little luck.

Reactions: GonzoCat90

I think 2011 would have been fine with Kanter instead of Harrelson. Going to the FF with Harrelson does not constitute proof that they wouldn’t have gone with Enes.

The Bam/Monk/Fox group wouldn’t have needed many more factors to be a FF team. Just a smidge of luck. They lost in the EE on a buzzer beater.

I think you are talking about dominance. Not a hair of difference in how 2011, 2014, and 2017 performed down the stretch. Just the luck of the bounce had 2 of those teams in the FF and the other on the outside looking in. That isn’t proof. It’s just a lucky or unlucky result.

Dominance is what ‘12 and ‘15 were all about. Doesn’t mean perfection (unfortunately), but it does mean the deck was stacked in our favor.

When we don’t have dominance, when we are just one of those teams with a shot, I think you retrospectively put too much value on whatever attributes were possessed by the winning team.

If we had gotten a little luckier and knocked off UNC 2 years ago, I’m guessing you could have found a way to fit that team into your model of what it takes to make the FF. Sometimes we just have to back up and acknowledge that sans dominance, it is always going to take a little luck.

hold on.

In 2011, we had a top 5 recruit in Knight. RCSI rated number 4 IIRC. I spoke about Harrellson because he's an upperclassman. 2011 more than anything had balance, and that in all reality has been the single biggest problem with Cal's philosophy. He devalued balance somewhat and went all in on talent. As a former player and coach, I personally have a problem with that. Talent will not overcome work, balance, and skills. And John Calipari is probably 2-4 titles short in his career because of his philosophy. Talent alone can win, but on the biggest stages, it's going to come up short somewhere without transcendent talent or a balanced approach. Out of 10 seasons we should easily understand this. Cal has 10 years - ZERO final fours without balance or top 5 recruit. Every one of his teams that was too young without transcendent talent has fallen short somewhere. Higgins could have tried whatever he wanted, 2012 couldn't be stopped. You have to always account for those types of factors before you get there. We will always have those obstacles.

2011 had two elements that are a perfect storm: NBA ready, highly sought, top rated player in the class / and upperclassman which helped in terms of balance. We just had a complete basketball team which was nowhere near the most talented we've had. It poke's holes in the theory that we don't need what they had.

You can call things luck if you want. Was '17 good enough to go to a final four? I bet if they were sophomores they would have gone to a final four....I bet if they had a sophomore in Terrence jones they would have gone to a final four. That class had a weaker top 5 group, but in general the argument seems to apply. They were too young to overcome bad officiating and Bam / Monk were not dominant enough to get there as freshman. Replace Bam with Kat, or Davis, I bet you have a final four right there. As big and strong as Bam was, to not be a top 5 recruit told a story. His basketball skills were behind, he's not KAT, Davis, Cousins....

We all know going into each season that we only have 1 chance to win a title. Cal didn't really push to get guys back, he didn't recruit multi year players, he constantly recruited guys who wanted to be pro's from day one and some even said it out loud. That's his philosophy, just reload and talent will carry you. It helped him recruit that way for what his vision is. So it's not bad luck that we found ourselves in situations that under skilled youthful teams without transcendent talent couldn't get their way through. That's how sports work.

Let's not forget that Cal adapted to this fact. He's not getting AD's and MKG's right now. He wants to win another title, and we've been recruiting guys that 6 years ago, never would have happened. In 2012 Herro doesn't get an offer. And he's not alone.

Knight and Harrellson went through an extremely tough bracket, playing OState and UNC before the final four and they found a way to make it happen. I'm not surprised they made it and '17 didn't. Actually it makes perfect sense.

We're getting off track anyway. If Cal is going to go all in on talent alone, it needs to be transcendent talent. That is typically around the top 5 or better, with some exceptions of course. But so far we've had no exceptions, that's a fact.

If you're not going to get those kinds of talents, then you need upperclassman to help the younger talent overcome if you want to get to the final four and have a shot at actually winning the national title. And balance is necessary regardless of what you have. You will not take a group of talented freshman, without those elements (balance transcendent talent etc), and lean on them all the way to a championship. I don't think that's an opinion at all. They can go far, but more than likely, even a team of Bam's and Monk's will fall without it.

And any discussion about "top 5" means they need to actually be a top player in the class. Not just named top 5, they need to live up to that tag. Just being "top 5" doesn't mean anything in and of itself.

Last edited:
Damn, Morgousky be dropping truth bombs all over the place. But don't take that to mean I am not a Cal guy. I think Morgousky is too, but there is not much you can quibble with in his posts in this thread.

@morgousky - the thing is, we mostly agree. I just don’t think there is some mythical variable describing the difference between ‘11, ‘14, and ‘17. Those were all teams that were good enough to go to a FF, who were hot at the right time.

‘11, we come within a hair of losing to Princeton or this conversation would never happen. Gutted out tough wins vs. OSU and UNC. Great games, but down to the wire coin flips. Both of them. Easily could have gone either way.

Just like Wichita, then UL, then Michigan, then Wisconsin in ‘14. Some of the best times I’ve ever had watching basketball. “Magical,” if you believe in magic. But ultimately, lucky.

We dodged a bullet vs. a game WSU team in ‘17. Played great against UCLA. Our luck ran out in another coin flip vs. UNCHEAT.

If you honestly believe there was some tangible difference in the ability of those three teams, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Clearly ‘12 and ‘15 were a cut above. I don’t think there’s any disputing that. But most of the other years, we were either not quite good enough (‘13, ‘16, ‘18), or good enough (to compete for a title) but ultimately unsuccessful.

I get that we appreciate more and celebrate more teams that get all the way to the FF. But the act of getting to the FF alone doesn’t prove what you seem to think it proves. Just like barely missing doesn’t prove the opposite.

First, there have been years with top 5 talent that didn't result in a title, title game or even a final four.

Of course, that's because the best team won't always win it. I don't think every team needs the top of the landscape to win titles, but at UK during Cal's tenure, without returning players or top 5ish (legitimate) players, it ain't happening without them.

There are a lot of coincidences in life that people can try to connect, but in the end, they are just coincidences.

Yea, I just can't accept that. We are going on a decade, I think it's fair to say it's not a coincidence. I think it's a fact that the record is what it is.

It's just like the we have never won a championship without a player from Kentucky on the roster. Yea, that's true, but is it really a requirement?

Not the same thing.

Secondly, even the "Top 5" is an opinion of someone or someones. It isn't a black and white curriculum. It's people's opinion. If the top 5 consisted of 5 players in the mold of Skal, and 6-10 were in the mold of Knight, MKG, and AD, would you still believe that you had to have a "Skal" on the roster to go to the Final Four?

Well, there never has been a top 5 class consisting of 5 Skal's. What if the moon were made of cheese?

The top 5 is just a way of saying we aren't getting the highest sought out players who are more likely to have an impact as a freshman during the 10 months he's on campus.

When we LOSE our entire roster, and do not fill the void where AD was standing, or a 3rd/4th year senior would be standing, and instead bring in a fringe second rounder and expert him to be enough.....hello?

If the argument wasn't changed it's easy to understand. Today we have balance, scores, shooters, upperclassman, returning NBA talent, and top 8-20 freshman. You don't need AD when you do this. When you dont, you need him. I dont understand why this is hard.

Ok you got me. Because Cal hasn't retired yet I guess 4 freshman fringe second rounders and a sophomore Poythress could win the title in the next decade at some point.

The facts as of the last decade are it won't work. It's not a knock on Cal to admit he needs dominant NBA ready talent if hes not going to have upperclassman or returning second round talent / and balance. Why some or you won't just admit that, I dont know. It is a fact that as of this moment, that's reality.

So I admit that I quoted the above message before reading completely through the thread, and I'm too lazy to go back and unquote it, so I'm releasing it here.

Having said that, over the course of this thread, we have almost hit the nail on the head of what it really takes with Cal teams, and possibly just teams in general. Cal teams need 1 player at every position that can hold their own and be natural at that position. That player doesn't have to be a top 5 freshman, or an upperclassman, or some big-time transfer, but he has to have it. The years he has failed to take the team far are years where he had to search within the team to fill a position, and/or had to play someone out of position to get them on the court.

2010 was really talented, had 2 top 5 freshmen, and returning talent and put 5 guys in the first round of the NBA draft, but we searched all season for SF consistancy, and played a PG at SG.
2011 wasn't near as talented, but did have a top 5 freshman, a little returning talent, and a couple of other really good freshman. They also had a player that could contribute and be comfortable at all 5 positions, whether that player was young or old, Elite talented or just really talented, he filled all 5 positions naturally.
2012 had 3 of the top 6 players (pay attention to this Duke fans), a couple returning guys, but more importantly was able to have players to contribute at all 5 positions naturally. Nobody played out of position for more than a few minutes a game just to spell someone else because that team wasn't deep. As a side note, that team was also the most balanced in terms of perimeter and paint play.
2013 likely just needs to be left out due to a key injury, and without that injury, not sure how we would have finished. But that team certainly lacked a player to contribute at every position, especially post injury.
2014 ranking wise was Cal's most top heavy class. They struggled early, but they had a player that could comfortably contribute at every position, and went all the way to the title game. And they did that with 1 sophomore as the only non-freshman contributor.
2015 was probably Cal's most talented team overall to date (numbers and talent). The main thing is that they had contributors at all five positions, and hence went to the final four.
2016 had a top 5 player, in fact had the number 1 player, and a couple of returning players. The problem with that team is we struggled to find anybody to contribute consistently inside, and we played a PG at SF.
2017 didn't have a top 5 player, but a top flight recruiting class, and some returning players. The top ten players were able to overcome a lot, but we again played a PG at SF, and struggled to find a consistent post player opposite Bam.
2018 didn't have a top 5 player, and barely had any top 10 talent, but in reality, that team struggled because we played a PF at SF, struggled to consistently get contributions from our SG spot, and struggled to find a consistent post player opposite PJ.

So in the end, really talented players at 5 positions that are natural at those positions. My biggest problem with the argument is that "top 5" is arbitrary. There is no system to determine that other than people's opinion, and the difference between the 5th rated player and the 10th rated player really isn't that much most years, though I admit that there are some years where it could be significant. We need players who can consistently contribute naturally at every position on the floor, whether that is a returning JR, or an elite talented freshman, or even a lower rated freshman (Shai comes to mind), it doesn't matter. Contributions and balance matter, not arbitrary numbers pulled out of the sky. This has always been my argument.

ADVERTISEMENT