ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Evans: Jaden McDaniels talks about his five finalists

He is good, reminds me alot of Brandon Ingram when he first went to Duke.. His and Kentucky interest is probably real, just depends on how Khalil Whitney will feel about it, Cal has made egos work before, so it will be fine imo.. My guess is Kentucky is out of it for Matthew Hurt, his brother is graduate transferring next season and what ever school takes Hurt is gonna end up with his brother from Minnesota.. My guess is Kansas will be that school, they took Xavier and CJ Henry in about the same regard..

The thing about McDaniels is that he'd be so phenomenal surrounded by elite talent.

He needs that push and competition each day in practice, and he needs to be able to face single coverage in games. If he's the best player on the court by a mile, it's going to bog things down for him, and as improved as his handle and shot seem to be, they aren't ready yet to have an astronomical usage rate against major D1 competition.

He reminds me of Jonathan Isaac in a way, and Isaac's stock was helped a ton by being surrounded by a supporting cast that fit his game at Florida State.

The thing about McDaniels is that he'd be so phenomenal surrounded by elite talent.

He needs that push and competition each day in practice, and he needs to be able to face single coverage in games. If he's the best player on the court by a mile, it's going to bog things down for him, and as improved as his handle and shot seem to be, they aren't ready yet to have an astronomical usage rate against major D1 competition.

He reminds me of Jonathan Isaac in a way, and Isaac's stock was helped a ton by being surrounded by a supporting cast that fit his game at Florida State.

Good comparison!

What do you all think our chances are at getting him here at UK ? Has he said when he is going to commit fall or wait until spring ?

The great thing about signing McDaniels is that it shouldn't scare any of our other big men targets off. Jaden McDaniels is more of a SF/PF combo forward. Carey,Wiseman Stewart & Tshiebwe who are PF/C type players. McDaniels as an NBA player will be a small forward all the way.

What do you all think our chances are at getting him here at UK ? Has he said when he is going to commit fall or wait until spring ?

He’s said spring in the past but some think that’s changed as his mom wants him to get serious about recruiting process. There have been mixed signals if uk has actually offered which is interesting. I think it’s SDSU or uk, but wouldn’t rule out Washington/texas

After 2 visits I'm sure Cal probably has a good read on him.
Seems like a kid that would be totally content on commiting to SDSU and calling it a day.

The Cats are built for the tournament this season.

We have good shooters (Baker / Herro / Green / Keldon)
We have the best front court duo in college basketball (Washington/Travis)...with two other great players to back them up.
We have quality depth at all positions
We have returning experience
Hagans and Johnson are two of the best on-ball defenders we've had since arguably MKG (arguably our biggest weakness last season...stopping dribble penetration)

This team may not be loaded with top 5 NBA draft picks, but I honestly think this is the most complete team that Cal has ever had at UK perhaps outside of the 2012 championship team, though it's close from a personnel perspective.

How far we actually advance in the tournament will depend on 3 things:

1. Someone has to step up and clearly take control of the PG spot. Will it be Green, Quickley, or Hagans? I think one of these guys will step up and take charge, and they are are all capable, but who will be the go-to? Quickley looked the best in The Bahamas, but you can't ignore Green's experience / shooting or Hagans' remarkable defensive abilities.

2. Chemistry. All signs suggest that this will be a non-issue and they are all already close off the court, but you never know when you have a team as deep as ours.

3. No injuries (especially in the backcourt) As deep as we are, I think injuries will be key, especially for the guards. Green, Quickley, and Hagans each bring a unique dynamic at PG. I think having all 3 of these guys available and healthy will be an incredible weapon for us. Then you have Herro and Baker who are both deadly shooters. Just an incredible amount of balance and they all compliment one another. This will be the story of the season in my opinion if everyone can stay healthy.

Would LOVE to reel this stud in!

If Mcdaniel had Jonathan Issac's height and length, he would be the next Kevin Durant for sure..

The great thing about signing McDaniels is that it shouldn't scare any of our other big men targets off. Jaden McDaniels is more of a SF/PF combo forward. Carey,Wiseman Stewart & Tshiebwe who are PF/C type players. McDaniels as an NBA player will be a small forward all the way.
No he won't. Most NBA teams will want him to bulk up enough to be a 4. Although in reality, there is now very, very little separation between the 3 and 4 (and often the 2 or the 3) in a lot of NBA systems.

People always think of guys being projected down a position in the NBA, like it's impossible for a 6'9"-6'10" guy to be a center, or that a 6'7"- 6'8" guy can't be a 4. What's playing out on the court is a different story.

Consider this fact about the teams that reached the conference finals in the NBA last year- Percentage of playoff minutes played by players listed under 6'10":

Golden State: 96% (I personally think Durant is taller than his listed 6'9", but even so, he's hardly a "big guy")
Cleveland: 87.5%
Houston: 82.2%
Boston: 74.6%

The most traditional 5 among those 4 teams was Al Horford, which is sort of humorous since he was often listed as a PF when he was in college. And the most common 4, as far as you can define it, for each of those 4 teams was really Durant for GS, Jeff Green for Cleveland (or LeBron, sort of), Jayson Tatum for Boston, and PJ Tucker for Houston (or Trevor Ariza- take your pick). Not exactly a bunch of bruisers in that group.

In the past it been tuff getting players from out west. We have had a few that came but overall they don't seem to want to come east. Guess we will see.

ADVERTISEMENT