ADVERTISEMENT

Cool article shows UK making headway

Aug 27, 2022
I know this is one persons work, but at least they made the effort.

Of all the so-called “basketball schools”, Kentucky has embodied a football culture comparable and greater than other so-called “football schools”.

I don’t want us to become a so-called
“Football school” because basketball tanks. I want to be called that because we play, spend, invest etc like a great football program. We can have both.

Last edited:
I know this is one persons work, but at least they made the effort.

Of all the so-called “basketball schools”, Kentucky has embodied a football culture comparable and greater than other so-called “football schools”.

I don’t want us to become a so-called
“Football school” because basketball tanks. I want to be called that because we play, spend, invest etc like a great football program. We can have both.

They show Notre Dame as a basketball school, uh, no.

The mistake was trying to be inclusive and add in women’s basketball to the basketball point system. That’s what is making schools like ND not make sense. ND/UT etc have good women’s programs and that’s being weighted equally to Men’s basketball even tho men’s is what’s implied when someone says “basketball school.

A women’s program doesn’t make you an anything school and ratings tell you that. Yes we joke that South Carolina and Tennessee are women’s basketball schools bc that’s where their titles come from…great for a joke…terrible for an accurate rating systems.

Had they just used a 1 for 1 between men’s basketball and football (your 2 revenue/ratings sports) or a 0.33 x3 if you included baseball (South Carolina is a baseball school) then it would have been a worthwhile article that actually gave insight. Or at minimum a .75 to .25 MBB/WBB split

Reactions: UKat1
Labels are idiotic. Schools are what they are, their records speak for themselves. Kentucky has extremely large and strong fan support for both of the revenue sports, which is all that matters.
This is ultimately the truth.

How many schools in America could play their most heated rival in a 23,000 seat basketball arena in Lexington, and also haul 20K+ to a mediocre bowl with multiple opt outs 5 hours South.

I’m guessing four or five, nationally, could do this.

And we must be more inclusive than the old “football school,” nonsense.

Track might not make money at the turnstiles, but I see multiple YouRube videos with hundreds of thousands of views with our track stars, past and present, sporting the Cat symbols. You cannot put a hard value on this, but it is hardly worthless.

Whether JMI overpaid for their rights, and what those rights actually entail, has provided lots of discussion. The fact that we are Top 10 across the board in all sports tends to make me think JMI got a good deal.

ADVERTISEMENT