ADVERTISEMENT

Continuing the polite debate: Malik Newman as high school senior vs. Devin Booker as college frosh.

Booker has been a much better basketball player for around 5 years. That should really end the discussion. I like newman's game, but with his size and streaky shot, I dont think he has much room to get better.

I never wanted Neuman. He was a volume scorer, not efficient, and a guy who needed his 15-20 shots a game. Not a fit for UK.
I said it when many of you were wanting him at UK bad, and it turned out I was right.

I'll say this - when I watched Booker go up against Andre Iguodala in a one on one pickup game on YouTube, I knew then and there Booker was gonna be something pretty special. From what I can tell said pickup game occurred in June of 2013, which would've been right before Booker's senior year of HS. Booker held his own and them some against one of the best defensive players in the NBA. I know it wasn't an "engaged" one on one pickup game, but one could definitely tell that Booker had some big time game.

As for Newman, he was always undersized to play the 2 in the NBA (his natural position) and he doesn't/didn't really possess elite PG skills, whereas Booker has/had ideal size for a NBA 2 guard. Newman is also very, very streaky and Booker is much, much more consistent. Just given the physical attributes alone, I always thought Booker was the better NBA prospect. Then you add in Booker's elite offensive gifts and it became even more clear, to me anyway. Again, that's JMO - then and now.

Last edited:
I answered this in the other thread.

And seems VERY odd to start a whole separate thread about something so trivial.

You stated back then that Malik Newman was better than Devin Booker.

You were incorrect.

As were a lot of people I'm sure.

It's okay to admit that you were wrong back then.

And at the end of the day, who cares.

This is pretty pathetic.

I agree. Get a life..

Reactions: Newcat38
Newcat is a Memphis troll. He’s here to do two things.

1. Take up for his favorite ghetto mid major pos program.

2. Follow myself and Saul around screaming because we bashed his program and city.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Interesting that you reply to me on this thread...and try to change the narrative on how stupid you look in hindsight. I guess since I'm a bit more open minded that constitutes me as being a fan of other schools. You're simply a childish poster in the vein of that morgusky character.

And you are a Memphis fan which has already been established. Quit lying and go away back to your ghetto and pray for some uncle T’s to bring Memphis a few new bloods for your team.

And you are a Memphis fan which has already been established. Quit lying and go away back to your ghetto and pray for some uncle T’s to bring Memphis a few new bloods for your team.
Thought you had me on ignore. Seems like you're a lying POS poster who doesn't actually have a team and decided to latch on to UK. More or less you're a "transient" fan who provides racially charged slants towards a community where you supposedly grew up by ranting on a sports message board nonetheless. Either there's a deeper mental deficiency taking place beneath the surface with your postings on this subject or it's a cowardly copout because you lack the intellect to post without including non basketball related subject matter. Either way it's a pathetic existence.

Thought you had me on ignore. Seems like you're a lying POS poster who doesn't actually have a team and decided to latch on to UK. More or less you're a "transient" fan who provides racially charged slants towards a community where you supposedly grew up by ranting on a sports message board nonetheless. Either there's a deeper mental deficiency taking place beneath the surface with your postings on this subject or it's a cowardly copout because you lack the intellect to post without including non basketball related subject matter. Either way it's a pathetic existence.

Not reading. Go away.

Didn’t read this either. Go back to your Memphis board.
Last I checked you don't own this board and likely not a pot to p*** in. You most certainly can't be gainfully employed judging from the times of day you post your bs here. I submit to you that lying about your allegiance to a school you've admittedly never attended, nor donated to, nor been to an actual game...says you have zero voice to say where someone who has actually done these things should go.

Bottom line: at the time, did NBA GMs value a January 2015 college frosh Booker more than a January 2015 high school senior Newman? Was the gulf so wide as to dismiss what I wrote in 2015?

If this is, in fact, the question, then the answer is likely not, and the appeals to Booker's and Newman's subsequent careers are 100% irrelevant. If the question was instead who will have a better career (i.e. make a prediction and we'll see who was right in X years), then the answer is obviously Booker and the OP was wrong. If the question was, based on the information available at the time, who would have a better career (i.e. who had the best argument at the time), then either position could have had merit and without the original thread it's impossible to judge the contemporaneous arguments.

OP and his detractors are answering completely different questions, though, so this all seems like monkeys flinging poop at each other.

Edit: wait, Tampa cat or whoever necro'd a 4-year old thread and is now complaining about this thread? Seems pretty childish.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
ADVERTISEMENT