ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Tubby!

TT has a strange list of coaches. Bob Knight, Pat Knight, Billy Gillispie, & Tubby. The Pitinos should eventually coach there.

It's 10 miles beyond nowhere. They seem to specialize in good coaches who are past their Sell By dates.

See this is where your type gets in trouble.

Explain to me when, exactly, Tubby was supposed to be fired before he left? I wanted the man to leave by about his 3rd season, because I could tell it wasn't going to work out, but EVERYONE at the time realized he wasn't going to be fired. So tell me when he should have been?

Was it 01-02, 4 years removed from a national title, never having missed the tournament, never having won fewer than 22 games or lost more than 10? Do you think that's a realistic firing? It sure couldn't have been the next 3 years, because whatever NCAA Tourney failings there were, we're still talking about 87-15 with 2 Elite 8 appearances. No one gets fired when they're doing that unless they get caught blatantly cheating, or they have an absolutely awful relationship with the AD or school president.

Could have been the next year (and that's when fan pressure legitimately started), but still, we're talking 1 year after a 3 year 87-15 run. The next season was the one he left.

So, you make your totally politicized, anti-affirmative action, "Tubby was only hired because he's black, Tubby only kept his job for as long as he did because he's black, it was all about UK trying to be PC" accusations, which completely ignore a huge portion of the historical reality, and yet you get your panties in a wad when anyone implies that hey, maybe (just maybe), there's a racist element amongst the segment of fans who can't let their hatred of Tubby go (then, now, or forever)?

Does that about cover it? And please, by all means, now blame ME for derailing this Tubby thread

I'm not going to read all of that. There's no point, as my point was a simple one.

The race issue worked both ways back then. Had Tubby been white, he probably would have been fired a few years prior. UK and Barnhart had some soft bigotry working at the time. Very afraid of the PR moves. I don't really know why it's so shocking to understand nor see it, but there's always the ones.

Reactions: UK till Death
He was also being pushed out at the same time. Only a fool wouldn't be looking around. We all wanted him out, me included, so I'm certainly not going to complain that he protected himself.

Except the part where we (Barnhart) was going to retain him yet again, and only wanted him to change his staff, I guess. We took a huge PR hit when it was Tubby who should have taken it. That's all I'm saying. I do like tubby, just don't like the way it ended when UK in all reality kept him years too long and accommodated out the ass only to look like the bad guy in the end.

Their 80-71 win today should make them a lock for the tourney. An eight seed Tech could be a real threat to someone without dominant bigs, like Villanova. In related news, little Ricky lost by 20+ to an awful Rutgers team. Nice move Minnesota, 2-16 in the Big Ten.

They can't be thrilled about that hire now. He better get better next year or he's gone, and he should be. Makes Tubby look pretty good about now.

They can't be thrilled about that hire now. He better get better next year or he's gone, and he should be. Makes Tubby look pretty good about now.

You switch Minnesota with Kentucky, and some people still wouldn't of let go that it was a race issue.

Congrats to Tubby. If he had recruited better he would still be the UK coach. He wasn't a bad recruiter but not up to UK standards.

I'm not going to read all of that. There's no point, as my point was a simple one.

The race issue worked both ways back then. Had Tubby been white, he probably would have been fired a few years prior. UK and Barnhart had some soft bigotry working at the time. Very afraid of the PR moves. I don't really know why it's so shocking to understand nor see it, but there's always the ones.
When? Say exactly when he would have been fired if he was white.

I agree. They were the worst team in the B12 when he took them over.

Very solid coaching job by Tubby.
Tubby will be one of 2 Coaches to take 5 schools to NCAA Tournament..I was told by a UK Asst AD they will retire a jersey for Tubby as soon as he retires..

When. Name exactly when he would have been fired if he was white.

Your kind wouldn't believe anything that wasn't one sided against the race you hate. Tubby got the option to fire his staff, keep on the job, and get new contracts up to a decade after he hadn't made a final four. Change his color, and I don't believe for a second he would have been given those options and survived that long. You think you're actually going to give that? everyone understands your type. You're not going to admit anything.

Unless you want to get personal to my face, watch yourself. I teach in inner cities with black youth and work for many charities including 410'2 out of Cals own. You sit behind a computer spouting insults feeling uppity about yourself doesn't make you ish. It's a simple opinion of the way things were working in time. There was nothing racist about it, (even though your kind have totally disgraced the word anyway). a "racist" should be reserved for people doing harm to others based on their skin color, not a meaningless opinion. Get some historical perspective and keep your insults where they belong.

Now, since you can't handle yourself in a simple discussion, don't even answer it. I couldn't care less of your mindless one sided opinions on everything "race". Actually, Im just gonna put you on ignore again until you can handle this.

Your kind wouldn't believe anything that wasn't one sided against the race you hate. Tubby got the option to fire his staff, keep on the job, and get new contracts up to a decade after he hadn't made a final four. Change his color, and I don't believe for a second he would have been given those options and survived that long. You think you're actually going to give that? everyone understands your type. You're not going to admit anything.

Unless you want to get personal to my face, watch yourself. I teach in inner cities with black youth and work for many charities including 410'2 out of Cals own. You sit behind a computer spouting insults feeling uppity about yourself doesn't make you ish. It's a simple opinion of the way things were working in time. There was nothing racist about it, "even though your kind have totally disgraced the word anyway". a "racist" should be reserved for people doing harm to others based on their skin color, not a meaningless opinion. Get some historical perspective and keep your insults where they belong.
When? When, exactly, would Tubby have been fired if he was white?

You have no real answer.

When? When, exactly, would Tubby have been fired if he was white?

You have no real answer.

MJ, it was answered. The options he was given to replace his staff and sign a new contract. I believe PR played a major roll in UK bending over backwards for him at the end.

This is tiresome. You're just trying to stir up the pot now. Your immature rants and mindless reasoning are old. let it go.

Tubby has also won Big 12 coach of the year, it was announced today. Congrats Coach Smith! Good job in Lubbock for sure. That place was a dumpster fire when he got there. It may have been the worst BCS bball program in the country.

I reckon I am just a sentimentalist, but I loved that '98 title like none other. Of the four I have been alive for, that is the only one in which it was not "title or failure". 78, 96, and 2012 were all incredible because we were great and we knew it. That '98 team...tell me it wasn't a little sweeter.

Funny part is, we consider that a Cinderella-type season and we were 35-4!!!!

Back to topic-very happy for Orlando Tubby Smith! He brought home #7.

Last edited:
Their 80-71 win today should make them a lock for the tourney. An eight seed Tech could be a real threat to someone without dominant bigs, like Villanova. In related news, little Ricky lost by 20+ to an awful Rutgers team. Nice move Minnesota, 2-16 in the Big Ten.
Who built the Minnesota team that lil ricky got stuck with? The non recruiting tubster that's who.

The real reason Tubby left after 2007 was that he simply felt like he was no longer welcome/supported by BBN at large. As for their main grievance, that he didn't return to the Final Four after his 1998 championship...he easily had an excellent chance to do so in 2003-05 (especially 2005 when he came just a 2OT short)...and in fact in 2006, even though we only got an 8/9 seed, we still came just four points shy of upsetting top seed Kansas.

Luck. That's what it came down to in the end. Pure dumb luck. It worked very much against Tubby in 2003-05, though on the flip side it worked very much in our favor in 2014. :D

It's weird that Tubby is more of a lightning rod here than BCG is/was.

The same BCG who in only his second game here lost at home to Garden-Webb???? Are they even Division 1? :p Talk about honeymoon's over after only two games!! That's gotta be some kind of record, though not one worth bragging about.

Say what you will about Tubby but we always had a more than reasonable chance of a Final Four bid (especially 1999 and 2003-05). At no point in his entire administration (even during the so called "Team Turmoil" early 2000s era) were we in any real danger of going to the NLT like BCG did :p

The problem is, it more than likely would have been fools gold, and considering who our AD is, he'd likely have been here even longer; in my mind, that would have been a catastrophe.

No Cal, maybe no titles, and probably a prolonged disaster......

I'm glad how it worked out really, but again, congrats to Tubby. I know thats what the thread is for.

I agree 100%.

Reactions: .S&C.
The real reason Tubby left after 2007 was that he simply felt like he was no longer welcome/supported by BBN at large. As for their main grievance, that he didn't return to the Final Four after his 1998 championship...he easily had an excellent chance to do so in 2003-05 (especially 2005 when he came just a 2OT short)...and in fact in 2006, even though we only got an 8/9 seed, we still came just four points shy of upsetting top seed Kansas.

Luck. That's what it came down to in the end. Pure dumb luck. It worked very much against Tubby in 2003-05, though on the flip side it worked very much in our favor in 2014. :D

Well if you are going to use the luck argument against Tubby then my God you must not have paid attention in 1998. That team had a lot of luck go its way against Duke, Stanford and Utah at times. Every championship team does though so not hating, just pointing that out.

And it was UCONN in 2006, that game near broke my heart as our guys busted their asses for once that season and played up to their potential, but their best was still not as good as UCONN's (still can't believe they lost to GM) best. The Kansas game was Tubby's last in 2007 and a not really that close 88-76 final.

Reactions: .S&C.
PQUOTE="bigbluelou, post: 4018959, member: 10416"]It's weird that Tubby is more of a lightning rod here than BCG is/was.[/QUOTE]
That's because BCG acted like a narcissistic idiot. Was not a coach that bought into the UK tradition. His tenure was more of a twilight zone experience to me. Glad he was fired. Brought it on himself.

On the other hand, Tubby came in and won with an already battle hardened group who had tournament experience. I won't even call it Pitino's players but a group that understood the team concept. His 2nd year at UK started out good with Keith Bogans and Marvin Stone signing to play at UK. and let's not forget the tragic death of John Stewart who would have been a good player too. After that he signed one more stellar class headed up by Randolph Morris and the kid from Michigan. But, for the most part his coaching style was not attractive to the racehorses who liked the run and gun system. He was in the end resorting to last minute 3 and occasionally 4 star players who signed at the eleventh hour.Remember the silent verbal and all that jazz? Bobby Perry and Sheray Thomas were not going to get you to the big dance, let alone cut down the nets. Tubby seemed to think player development would make any player into a stud. Sorry, but determined talent almost always wins out.

We could sum up Tubby as nice guy, mediocre recruiter, who believed so much in himself that it blinded him to reality. I will say this. He was brilliant in the 98 NCAA tournament. Three comeback wins against Duke, Standford and Utah. No one can ever take that moment from him. But, good coaches change with the times and build the offense and defense around the type players they have. Cal and Coach K are a prime example of a willingness to do just that.

I really think it's time to let Tubby go and wish him well deep in the heart of Texas.

Here is a blast from the past:

While the Smith to Minnesota rumors are red hot, nothing's in writing just yet. Still, if Minnesota pulls this off it will be one of the slickest AD maneuvers in years. It also shows that Minnesota took the bull by the horns and aggressively pursued Smith.

While I was and am an ardent supporter of Smith's candidacy for the Michigan job, reading through the Kentucky papers and listening to Kentucky fans rail on their head coach has tempered my enthusiasm a tad. But, if Smith does indeed end up at Da U, Michigan's coaching search just got a hell of a lot tougher. The dominoes falling over the next few days should be spectacular.

You heard it here first, if Smith jumps to Minnesota, Gillispie to Kentucky.

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2007/3/22/151021/914

to say he's a total "class act" is fine, and I agree he can be, BUT..........

Congrats on being "that guy". You know the guy that absolutely HAS to turn the positive Tubby conversation into an argument. Yeah yeah he was good and all BUT.......blah blah blah

You are good at being that guy though I'll give you that. Absolutely the quintessential Rafters poster.

Tubby sucks
NCAA out to screw us
Duke Duke Duke
I'm right you're wrong
Rinse and repeat

No they weren't. He was underachieving at Minn.
You couldn't be more wrong. Minnesota was 8-22 and 3-13 in the Big Ten the year before he took over and they were very solid during his tenure with three NCAA appearances in five years. They have 12 total appearances over 60 years of tourneys as a measuring stick.

Congrats on being "that guy". You know the guy that absolutely HAS to turn the positive Tubby conversation into an argument. Yeah yeah he was good and all BUT.......blah blah blah

You are good at being that guy though I'll give you that. Absolutely the quintessential Rafters poster.

Tubby sucks
NCAA out to screw us
Duke Duke Duke
I'm right you're wrong
Rinse and repeat

Good God you are awful. 211 likes?

seems high.

You couldn't be more wrong. Minnesota was 8-22 and 3-13 in the Big Ten the year before he took over and they were very solid during his tenure with three NCAA appearances in five years. They have 12 total appearances over 60 years of tourneys as a measuring stick.

Four seasons after his arrival, Smith's tenure at the University of Minnesota is officially a disappointment.

Kentucky fans complained that Smith runs no discernible offense.

That he failed to recruit outstanding talent.

That his program had lost momentum and had slid into mediocrity.

Smith won the national title in his first season at Kentucky, with Rick Pitino's players. He continued to be remarkably successful through 2004-05, when he reached the NCAA Elite Eight for the fourth time in eight years.

Since then, Smith appears to have become a different coach. Since then, Smith's teams have been mediocre, and he has appeared increasingly aloof and sensitive.

At Minnesota, he is 31-35 in Big Ten games and has failed to win an NCAA tourney game. Since his last Elite Eight appearance, he is 49-49 in conference games and 2-4 in the tournament, despite having enjoyed the immense advantages provided by Kentucky.

http://www.startribune.com/uh-kentucky-y-all-were-right-about-tubby/116091704/

MJ, it was answered. The options he was given to replace his staff and sign a new contract. I believe PR played a major roll in UK bending over backwards for him at the end.

This is tiresome. You're just trying to stir up the pot now. Your immature rants and mindless reasoning are old. let it go.
No, it wasn't really answered.

Because what you're saying, but refusing to say, is 2007. And, regardless of whether he was fired or quit, Tubby NEVER COACHED A GAME AT UK AFTER 2007. Meaning the idea that he Tubby "lasted" at UK longer than he should have because he was black makes absolutely 0 sense whatsoever- except to prop up your repulsive politics.

Reactions: 420grover
Don't even start with the race nonsense. He had this job longer than most because if it.
Wow I what would say then about us having B---- players maybe they should all go to an all B---- school see if we can win with Cal then O he would leave then never mind.

Good God you are awful. 211 likes?

seems high.
No substantive response to my post is pretty much what I expected. However I'm not interested in arguing with you. You threatened to put me on ignore because I don't share your paranoia about the ncaa/refs/duke. Just get it over with.

No, it wasn't really answered.

Because what you're saying, but refusing to say, is 2007. And, regardless of whether he was fired or quit, Tubby NEVER COACHED A GAME AT UK AFTER 2007. Meaning the idea that he Tubby "lasted" at UK longer than he should have because he was black makes absolutely 0 sense whatsoever- except to prop up your repulsive politics.

Man you are sick and twisted. You need help, and trust me, you aren't some uppity do gooder like you think you are. Stop talking to me. You're on ignore.

No substantive response to my post is pretty much what I expected. However I'm not interested in arguing with you. You threatened to put me on ignore because I don't share your paranoia about the ncaa/refs/duke. Just get it over with.

Another on ignore.....see ya

Wow I what would say then about us having B---- players maybe they should all go to an all B---- school see if we can win with Cal then O he would leave then never mind.

see ya....some of you are totally sick, and use peoples race to prop your sick agendas.....

You and MJ can talk about big bad white men together. Ignored.

Man you are sick and twisted. You need help, and trust me, you aren't some uppity do gooder like you think you are. Stop talking to me. You're on ignore.
Like I said initially- YOU make it about race. YOU use no real logic to back up your assertions. YOU get your panties in a wad when someone dares to question how YOU are trying to make race such a huge issue.

There are plenty of people who were/are as color-blind as it's possible to be who (justifiably) lost faith in Tubby's ability to do the job at UK. Those people don't try to use Tubby as some political football to kick down the field for their obvious agenda. But YOU do.

Bye-bye now.

Unless you want to get personal to my face, watch yourself. I teach in inner cities with black youth and work for many charities including 410'2 out of Cals own. You sit behind a computer spouting insults feeling uppity about yourself doesn't make you ish. It's a simple opinion of the way things were working in time. There was nothing racist about it, (even though your kind have totally disgraced the word anyway). a "racist" should be reserved for people doing harm to others based on their skin color, not a meaningless opinion. Get some historical perspective and keep your insults where they belong.

Now, since you can't handle yourself in a simple discussion, don't even answer it. I couldn't care less of your mindless one sided opinions on everything "race". Actually, Im just gonna put you on ignore again until you can handle this.
As you stated to a response earlier, I am not going to read all that because I am sure it is more of the same of what you have been posting. But I note you were asked a very simple question and you did not even come close to answering it in the first paragraph. After that all I see is just more blah, blah, blah....

As you stated to a response earlier, I am not going to read all that because I am sure it is more of the same of what you have been posting. But I note you were asked a very simple question and you did not even come close to answering it in the first paragraph. After that all I see is just more blah, blah, blah....

I made a simple assertion that many people believe. Tuuby was given extra rope, because of the PR at the time. Given UK's history (unfounded I might add), they were very careful how they had to handle Tubby. The media was closely watching and waiting to drill UK over the firing(what would have been) in case you didn't notice? Are you even old enough to remember?

It is in large part due to the race issue. This isn't hard to understand, but some people have a hard lined agenda to promote soft bigotry and won't allow common sense into their logic. It's as simple as bad white, good black, and if someone doesn't agree with that, it's racism racism racism. And no, I won't sit back while being called a racist for a simple opinion many people saw, believe, and hold. These soft bigots need to get a grip and a life.

Do you have a problem with that? Because I'm not easily silenced like most terrified people of today. I won't shut up to fit that agenda. deal with it.

Last edited:
Truthfully, I'm pretty neutral on Tubby: he's not as bad as some make him out to be and not as great as the other side makes him out to be

But really: there's no excuse as to why Barnhart hasn't scheduled a game with Tech and had a jersey retirement ceremony. ZERO excuse for it.

ADVERTISEMENT