ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Tubby!

bkat30120

Sophomore
Nov 23, 2005
Their 80-71 win today should make them a lock for the tourney. An eight seed Tech could be a real threat to someone without dominant bigs, like Villanova. In related news, little Ricky lost by 20+ to an awful Rutgers team. Nice move Minnesota, 2-16 in the Big Ten.

Good for Tubby. As for Little Dick Pitino, he's not really interested or engaged...just biding his time to take over for his daddy.

I must say congratulations to tubby as he's still very generous to us for our charities. I must add that.

However, to say he's a total "class act" is fine, and I agree he can be, but to pretend he didn't do UK wrong in the end is misguided. He was flirting with jobs while being paid by UK, lied to his bosses, and pretended he was above firing his staff at UK only to completely ditch them when he took another position. Not to mention, he ditched his recruits and left without saying much of anything. That was a true POS move, whether you want to cling to "he's just a great guy" stuff or not. HIs pride was his downfall in the end, class act aside. He was here 4 to 5 years too long, and we nearly lost everything screwing with the PR nonsense due to this PC age.

Other than that typical stuff, glad you had an OK year tubby.

Tubby was ok. If Randolph"freaking"Morris had grab a rebound aganist Mich St in the elite 8 people would probably feel different about Tubby

Or if he didn't refuse to change his staff that was obviously inept.

Or if he didn't ditch his recruits on the way out

Or if he didn't almost single handedly lose our status at the top of the mountain...

Yea, you're right, except for all of that, we'd feel differently.

A 2nd Final Four would certainly have helped the Tubster with how he is viewed.

The problem is, it more than likely would have been fools gold, and considering who our AD is, he'd likely have been here even longer; in my mind, that would have been a catastrophe.

No Cal, maybe no titles, and probably a prolonged disaster......

I'm glad how it worked out really, but again, congrats to Tubby. I know thats what the thread is for.

Or if he didn't refuse to change his staff that was obviously inept.

Or if he didn't ditch his recruits on the way out

Or if he didn't almost single handedly lose our status at the top of the mountain...

Yea, you're right, except for all of that, we'd feel differently.

Or if he didn't have Chuck Hayes on the bench in crucial moments of that game. Because he had 4 fouls. Late in an elite 8 game. Never understood what he was saving Chuck for. Cost us the season.

I always wonder why nobody says, "Let it go. He has been gone 9 years and we need to focus on OUR team!" in a pro-Tubby thread????? It kinda shows the agenda of a lot of posters on this board who are somehow threatened by any thread that doesn't extol OTS as a great coach.

Maybe Keyser will show up and call me a redneck?

I always wonder why nobody says, "Let it go. He has been gone 9 years and we need to focus on OUR team!" in a pro-Tubby thread????? It kinda shows the agenda of a lot of posters on this board who are somehow threatened by any thread that doesn't extol OTS as a great coach.

Maybe Keyser will show up and call me a redneck?

Don't even start with the race nonsense. He had this job longer than most because if it.

Reactions: Pewee Cat
The problem is, it more than likely would have been fools gold, and considering who our AD is, he'd likely have been here even longer; in my mind, that would have been a catastrophe.

I'm glad how it worked out really, but again, congrats to Tubby. I know thats what the thread is for.

Hard to tell what might have happened. Almost assuredly not having the success we're having now .. but we would have had Draymond Green for 4 years along with PPAT and Jodie with them for a couple of years. That might have produced something

This thread won't end well, bc they never do but that's quite an accomplishment if he gets Texas Tech to the tourney
I agree. They were the worst team in the B12 when he took them over.

Very solid coaching job by Tubby.

Reactions: michaeluk26
This thread won't end well, bc they never do but that's quite an accomplishment if he gets Texas Tech to the tourney

Tech's a lock. I see no way they're left out even if they somehow lost to TCU in the first round of the Big 12 tournament. Wins at home over Texas, Iowa State and Oklahoma as well as a win on the road over Baylor with an RPI is in the mid-20s and the top SOS in the country is more than enough.

Reactions: Samurai Cat

This dude is mad at Tubby for "flirting with other jobs" then complainshe that Barnhart would have kept him. Every coach we've ever had flirted with other jobs at some point in his career. It was time to part ways and I'm glad it ended the way it did instead of in an ugly divorce.

BTW, you swore up and down that Skal was dirty and everyone in Memphis knew it and he was gonna be ineligible. How did that workout Mr Know It All?

Don't even start with the race nonsense. He had this job longer than most because if it.
See this is where your type gets in trouble.

Explain to me when, exactly, Tubby was supposed to be fired before he left? I wanted the man to leave by about his 3rd season, because I could tell it wasn't going to work out, but EVERYONE at the time realized he wasn't going to be fired. So tell me when he should have been?

Was it 01-02, 4 years removed from a national title, never having missed the tournament, never having won fewer than 22 games or lost more than 10? Do you think that's a realistic firing? It sure couldn't have been the next 3 years, because whatever NCAA Tourney failings there were, we're still talking about 87-15 with 2 Elite 8 appearances. No one gets fired when they're doing that unless they get caught blatantly cheating, or they have an absolutely awful relationship with the AD or school president.

Could have been the next year (and that's when fan pressure legitimately started), but still, we're talking 1 year after a 3 year 87-15 run. The next season was the one he left.

So, you make your totally politicized, anti-affirmative action, "Tubby was only hired because he's black, Tubby only kept his job for as long as he did because he's black, it was all about UK trying to be PC" accusations, which completely ignore a huge portion of the historical reality, and yet you get your panties in a wad when anyone implies that hey, maybe (just maybe), there's a racist element amongst the segment of fans who can't let their hatred of Tubby go (then, now, or forever)?

Does that about cover it? And please, by all means, now blame ME for derailing this Tubby thread

Last edited:
I agree. They were the worst team in the B12 when he took them over.

Very solid coaching job by Tubby.
We try to allow Tubby to ride off into the sunset but some can't let go of the past. Here's to Tubby. Good X & O's coach. I believe his lack of consistency in bringing in good recruits and unwillingness to adapt his coaching style was his demise. It was hard to get 5 star recruits to buy into his coaching style. Last just a little food for thought. Since Cal has been here I've heard him take the blame for a loss several times. Never heard Tubby do that. To me (JMO) that's a sign of a man that doesn't accept change very well. Nice guy, but stubborn too.

Reactions: yoshukai
I have kept following Tubby post-UK. It was time for him to leave here, but he has a lot to offer programs that aren't consistent contenders. Minnesota was moronic for firing him, after he won a tournament game no less!
No they weren't. He was underachieving at Minn.

I must say congratulations to tubby as he's still very generous to us for our charities. I must add that.

However, to say he's a total "class act" is fine, and I agree he can be, but to pretend he didn't do UK wrong in the end is misguided. He was flirting with jobs while being paid by UK, lied to his bosses, and pretended he was above firing his staff at UK only to completely ditch them when he took another position. Not to mention, he ditched his recruits and left without saying much of anything. That was a true POS move, whether you want to cling to "he's just a great guy" stuff or not. HIs pride was his downfall in the end, class act aside. He was here 4 to 5 years too long, and we nearly lost everything screwing with the PR nonsense due to this PC age.

I hope you are as good in regular life as you are in message board monday morning quarterbacking hoss

Yes, they do play faster than last year

If Coach Smith has his team in -- I'll be willing to bet they're in our bracket

too good of a storyline for the bracket-makers to pass up

I"m still not rurally sure how the seeds are supposed to fall out so it might be tricky - but watch us get placed in each other's path -- I'm expecting it now

See this is where your type gets in trouble.

Explain to me when, exactly, Tubby was supposed to be fired before he left? I wanted the man to leave by about his 3rd season, because I could tell it wasn't going to work out, but EVERYONE at the time realized he wasn't going to be fired. So tell me when he should have been?

Was it 01-02, 4 years removed from a national title, never having missed the tournament, never having won fewer than 22 games or lost more than 10? Do you think that's a realistic firing? It sure couldn't have been the next 3 years, because whatever NCAA Tourney failings there were, we're still talking about 87-15 with 2 Elite 8 appearances. No one gets fired when they're doing that unless they get caught blatantly cheating, or they have an absolutely awful relationship with the AD or school president.

Could have been the next year (and that's when fan pressure legitimately started), but still, we're talking 1 year after a 3 year 87-15 run. The next season was the one he left.

So, you make your totally politicized, anti-affirmative action, "Tubby was only hired because he's black, Tubby only kept his job for as long as he did because he's black, it was all about UK trying to be PC" accusations, which completely ignore a huge portion of the historical reality, and yet you get your panties in a wad when anyone implies that hey, maybe (just maybe), there's a racist element amongst the segment of fans who can't let their hatred of Tubby go (then, now, or forever)?

Does that about cover it? And please, by all means, now blame ME for derailing this Tubby thread
You make good points about when he should have been fired. I do have my own feelings as to the bitterness many carry towards Tubby. I believe he was a lazy recruiter, I hate his cowardly departure, and I did not appreciate his style of play.
I contend that the 98 championship was due to the desire and determination of the players to be the come back cats, not from Tubby's coaching.
As per race, it's just pigment or melanin. Why should skin color make such a difference vs hair color. Don't we have more important things to fight about? Like who sucks more-Puke, uncheat, or U of cesspooL

Last edited:
Reactions: jrm693

He was also being pushed out at the same time. Only a fool wouldn't be looking around. We all wanted him out, me included, so I'm certainly not going to complain that he protected himself.

ADVERTISEMENT