ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to the Cats

CardHack

All-American
May 29, 2001
I used to do this back in the day but had gotten away from it...but a big congrats to the football team for the beating put on us Saturday. Something my late Dad impressed on me at an early age was "Y'know...you will never regret just shaking the guy's hand who just kicked your ass than to fight the obvious". The armchair quarterback in me wonders if that type of football is something Kentucky tries to stay with, but I suspect next year with Wilson your attack will look a lot like Wake Forest's if you have ever seen them (the sort of dead looking mesh between the QB and RB where they look like they are frozen in a read for a second). Either way if I took my Louisville hat off and watched in admiration it reminded me a lot of what I'd hear from SEC sorts when they Florida and Tennessee got matched up with Nebraska in the mid 90's where people would delude themselves into thinking it's easy to defend (and man did I win a few bar bets back then). When it ends up being 8v8 and your 7 blockers are superior in size and more importantly strength...it's a mismatch and the pickings are as abundant as a Christmas buffet.

Best of luck in whatever bowl you land. Your running game is somebody else's problem now.

Call me crazy, but I like the OP’s moniker.

I would rank Cardhack just a tad below PushupMan as a quality poster and a Football first fan among the Card faithful.

Frankly, neither I nor the vast majority of Cat fans foresaw the full potential of Bowden at QB, especially the night I and thousands of Ky. fans poured out of Williams-Brice stadium in Columbia SC.

If Satterfield can build a D-line to go with those offensive skill players, U of L will be dangerous.

Reactions: MbergCat
CardHack, would be great if all fans could demonstrate mature sportsmanship as you have done here. There's a lot of bad blood between the two rivals, but in the end it's a game, and life is so much more than football. Of course, I'm glad we won and I'm a passionate fan who hopes we win every time we play, but win or lose I still have to go out the next week and earn a living for my family.

I do think you all have a decent coach and if given time to build, he will probably have you all moving up.

Reactions: shutzhund
Best of luck in whatever bowl you land. Your running game is somebody else's problem now.

Thanks for your post. Yep the running game has been very hard for a lot of folks to defend.

I think I heard somewhere that UofL only had 65 scholarship players to start the year. With Satterfield putting up 7 wins playing with that short of a deck I would say he did a hell of a job. Better hold on to that guy.

Last edited:
With Satterfield putting up 7 wins playing with that short of a deck I would see he did a hell of a job

I think he pulled in 10 graduate transfers to fill out the squad.

Pretty impressive season for all the ish he inherited.

Being gracious in victory also speaks volumes. I hope that most Cat fans understand that. For so long we've always seemed to be on the losing end of games and have experienced the ridicule of other fan bases. Now we have a winning program... and hopefully it will continue for a long time. We should rise above vindictiveness and win with class. And when we are beaten by a better team, we ought to lose with class. Fight hard. Root with passion. Poke some innocent fun. Display you Ls or, in our case, upside down Ls. But in the end always be gracious. It's just a game. There is a generation rising that needs to see how each other should be treated. Fans as well as players help create the right culture.

Examples like we saw in the Ole Miss, Ms State game, the urinating dog jesture, are the kinds of displays that are below human dignity. They are the worst examples for the many young ones who attend games. They are classless acts that degrade the sport. But too often the fans are just as classless. Someone has to do better... and the OP here is one example of how it should be done.

I used to do this back in the day but had gotten away from it...but a big congrats to the football team for the beating put on us Saturday. Something my late Dad impressed on me at an early age was "Y'know...you will never regret just shaking the guy's hand who just kicked your ass than to fight the obvious". The armchair quarterback in me wonders if that type of football is something Kentucky tries to stay with, but I suspect next year with Wilson your attack will look a lot like Wake Forest's if you have ever seen them (the sort of dead looking mesh between the QB and RB where they look like they are frozen in a read for a second). Either way if I took my Louisville hat off and watched in admiration it reminded me a lot of what I'd hear from SEC sorts when they Florida and Tennessee got matched up with Nebraska in the mid 90's where people would delude themselves into thinking it's easy to defend (and man did I win a few bar bets back then). When it ends up being 8v8 and your 7 blockers are superior in size and more importantly strength...it's a mismatch and the pickings are as abundant as a Christmas buffet.

Your so lucky to have had a Dad so wise, I was fortunate to have one also. Sportsmanship is a form of class as no other. My Dad always said, "Actions speak louder than words."

Cards have very good skill position players. Cunningham, Atwell, Fitzpatrick and Hawkins are quite talented. But as UK knows from a long history of trying to compete in the SEC, skill position players can only get you so far if you don't have the OL and DL to support them.

The Card DL (and honestly the LBs too) were just not able to compete with the UK OL. And the more the Cards tried to stack the box, the easier it became for UK to rip off not just nice gains, but HUGE runs. As we know, it is very difficult to build a quality DL - takes recruiting, developing, and honestly some luck when building mostly from scratch.

Same story for the Card OL. Becton is very good, but had very little around him. As the game went on, they wore down. UK's superior talent AND depth meant the Card's couldn't sustain any O. (a problem they had in other games - they hit long plays or stalled, little in between) With Becton moving on, OL will remain a concern for the Cards.

I do appreciate the OP. Especially in a rivalry, folks get carried away. I live in Louisville (well, just outside it), love the city, have many family and friends who root for the Cards. Love beating them, enjoy it greatly, etc. But some on both sides take a sports rivalry too far and act like rooting for a different team makes someone a better (or worse person).

ADVERTISEMENT