ADVERTISEMENT

Complete SEC non-divisional opponents

By assigning point value for each team based on general predicted order of finish:

1- Alabama/ Georgia 7 points each
2- LSU/ Florida 6 points each
3- Texas A&M/Tennessee 5 points each
4- Auburn/ Kentucky 4 points each
5- Miss State/So Carolina 3 points each
6- Mississippi/ Missouri 2 points each
7- Arkansas/ Vanderbilt 1 point each

Alabama avoids 10 points
Auburn avoids 9 points
Arkansas avoids 8 points
Florida avoids 14 points
Georgia avoids 13 points
Kentucky avoids 12 points
LSU avoids 16 points
Mississippi avoids 14 points
Mississippi State avoids 14 points
Missouri avoids 11 points
South Carolina avoids 11 points
Tennessee avoids 11 points
Texas A&M avoids 13 points
Vanderbilt avoids 12 points

Easier to see who got the best of schedule by who teams don’t play.

Alabama- South Carolina. Vanderbilt ,Florida
Auburn- Vanderbilt, Florida, Missouri
Arkansas- Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina
Georgia- Mississippi, LSU, Texas A&M
Florida- Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State
Kentucky- Arkansas, Texas A&M, LSU
LSU- Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee
Mississippi- Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee
Mississippi State- Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina
Missouri-Auburn, Mississippi, Texas A&M
South Carolina- Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi State
Tennessee-LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State
Texas A&M- Georgia, Kentucky, Missouri
Vanderbilt- Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas

Note: Used UKvisitor’s post that has who teams play to compile this list. If any errors, I apologize.
Good post. People were too focused on the 4 opponents from the cross division not realize by a team like Bama already plays LSU, Auburn ahd Texas A&M. This is a much better way to look at it

Reactions: brian.mikeson
I'd like to see the system they used.

It may be out there, but can't find it, so I made my own just for Sh's & Gigg's.

Since I've been a UK-football fan my whole life, I assumed we got screwed and the traditional powers got a pass. Did this study mainly to let me compare apples to apples and take my bias out.

METRICS/METHODOLOGY:
I assigned both divisions into 3 tiers (Power, Mid, Bottom/Rebuilding) with points corresponding to how tough an opponent they'd be (Power=5, Mid=3, Bottom=1).
EAST TOP TIER:
UGa
Fla
EAST MID TIER:
UK
UT
USC
EAST BOTTOM TIER:
Vandy
Mizzou

WEST TOP:
Bama
LSU
A&M
WEST MID:
Auburn
MSU
WEST BOTTOM:
Ole Miss
Arkansas

If you have to play a team on the road, their toughness gets a 1pt. bump (so, playing at Bama makes them a 6 instead of a 5).

Some may disagree w/ where I placed some of these teams (should MSU be a 'bottom' team since new coach, struggled at end of 2019, etc?), but hopefully it's close enough to where teams might really be.

After assigning opponents their 'toughness score,' here's what I got for each team's 4 out-of-division opponents:

"Easiest" draw: 12 TOUGHNESS POINTS:
* Mississippi St. (playing both Mizzou & Vandy at home and only one 'power' in UGa)
* LSU (two bottom dwellers -- one on road/one at home, one mid-level, and one 'power' in A&M)

"Medium" draw: 14 TOUGHNESS PTS:
* Bama
* Florida
* UGa
* UK
* Ole Miss
* A&M

"Toughest" draw: 16 TOUGHNESS PTS:
* Ark
* Auburn
* Mizzou
* USC
* UT
* Vandy

...so, at least by my formula, we didn't really get screwed, but it DOES seem that the teams with the toughest draws are mainly bottom-dwellers.

...also, if you DO want to subscribe to some conspiracy-ish ideas a lot of us assume are true, none of the teams w/ a shot at a national championship got a 'toughest' draw.

...and, one of the teams with aspirations but who also lost a LOT to attrition/graduation got one of the most favorable draws of all (LSU).

I'd like to see the system they used.

It may be out there, but can't find it, so I made my own just for Sh's & Gigg's.

Since I've been a UK-football fan my whole life, I assumed we got screwed and the traditional powers got a pass. Did this study mainly to let me compare apples to apples and take my bias out.

METRICS/METHODOLOGY:
I assigned both divisions into 3 tiers (Power, Mid, Bottom/Rebuilding) with points corresponding to how tough an opponent they'd be (Power=5, Mid=3, Bottom=1).
EAST TOP TIER:
UGa
Fla
EAST MID TIER:
UK
UT
USC
EAST BOTTOM TIER:
Vandy
Mizzou

WEST TOP:
Bama
LSU
A&M
WEST MID:
Auburn
MSU
WEST BOTTOM:
Ole Miss
Arkansas

If you have to play a team on the road, their toughness gets a 1pt. bump (so, playing at Bama makes them a 6 instead of a 5).

Some may disagree w/ where I placed some of these teams (should MSU be a 'bottom' team since new coach, struggled at end of 2019, etc?), but hopefully it's close enough to where teams might really be.

After assigning opponents their 'toughness score,' here's what I got for each team's 4 out-of-division opponents:

"Easiest" draw: 12 TOUGHNESS POINTS:

First of all thanks for taking the time to do the research. The only real surprise is OM and AU being in the groups they ended up in, I would thg think they would be reversed.

I think the conference tried to equalize schedules of the contenders as much as they reasonably could.
* Mississippi St. (playing both Mizzou & Vandy at home and only one 'power' in UGa)
* LSU (two bottom dwellers -- one on road/one at home, one mid-level, and one 'power' in A&M)

"Medium" draw: 14 TOUGHNESS PTS:
* Bama
* Florida
* UGa
* UK
* Ole Miss
* A&M

"Toughest" draw: 16 TOUGHNESS PTS:
* Ark
* Auburn
* Mizzou
* USC
* UT
* Vandy

...so, at least by my formula, we didn't really get screwed, but it DOES seem that the teams with the toughest draws are mainly bottom-dwellers.

...also, if you DO want to subscribe to some conspiracy-ish ideas a lot of us assume are true, none of the teams w/ a shot at a national championship got a 'toughest' draw.

...and, one of the teams with aspirations but who also lost a LOT to attrition/graduation got one of the most favorable draws of all (LSU).

I'm fine with playing BAMA. They will have a new QB in Mac Jones if you've ever heard of him . Might be a good time to play them, especially if its early

Reactions: ukgrad2004
Damn right!!! The Blue wall give Bama fits. The defense will play solid as we beat Bama in Bama. #OatsStrong
Toughest road schedule in the country. But the saving grace is that home field advantage will be somewhat negated by no or few fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT