ADVERTISEMENT

Compelling optimism for Blue to UK

Among the most watched recruitments in the country over the next month will be that of Smith, the No. 31 ranked prospect in the 2018 class. Here is what we know for sure after talking with Smith and others close to the Rivals100 prospect: he will announce his decision Aug. 27 in Huber Heights Wayne’s nationally televised season opener against Pine-Richland (Pa.) High. Cincinnati, Kentucky, Michigan State, Ohio State and Tennessee are the top five, though not necessarily a final five – he is not closing the door to any teams. Final visits to Cincinnati and Kentucky before Aug. 27 are highly likely, with visits to Michigan State and Tennessee also possible.

Blue Smith plans to announce soon. If he does, that means staying home for college. If Urban Meyer is taking him as a wide receiver, I don't see any likely way that Smith will turn down Ohio State. But I think Stoops will sign a strong class of receivers anyway.

Now for the reading of tea leaves. The expectation is that this is a Kentucky-Ohio State battle. If there is a dark horse it is Cincinnati, and Blue made a compelling case for why the Bearcats should be given greater respect in his recruitment. Still, a choice other than Kentucky or Ohio State would be a surprise, but both of those schools have compelling cases for why they could land Smith. I have been hesitant to pick against Ohio State because of how successful they usually are with in-state prospects they target, but I would not be forthcoming if I didn’t say that I came out of this weekend with a stronger respect for Kentucky’s chances – and that was after an event at Ohio State.

Here is what the tea leaves are really saying. Smith is going to Ohio State. If he makes any other decision, it would be Kentucky, not UC. But it will be Ohio State. If Smith was going to snub Ohio State, he would wait and put off his announcement.

Reactions: Babysluggo
It would be incredible if he turned down the Buckeyes but I'm not counting Stoops and Marrow out until the ink is dry. Those guys are great at building relationships with these young men. It's obvious Blue respects them and it will be a very tough choice for him either way which is really all we can ask for. Hope he makes the best decision for himself and I wish him success wherever he goes. He will be a good one no matter what color he ends up wearing but I mean, come on, I think he knows which color makes the most sense ; )

Here is what the tea leaves are really saying. Smith is going to Ohio State. If he makes any other decision, it would be Kentucky, not UC. But it will be Ohio State. If Smith was going to snub Ohio State, he would wait and put off his announcement.
Given that, then here's hoping he delays beyond 8.27. But then if he did that, the pressure on him from OSU would build due to unending contacts which I doubt he wants. Net, while the odds favor OSU & would make you correct, I don't see the 8.27 date as significant to whom he selects. I see it as him wanting to end it.

Given Blue SMith's confidence and swagger, I do not see the 8/27 date as significant.

I would think Ohio State is the favorite, regardless of the moment of announcement, but Kentucky is making it hard for him to pull that trigger.

There's a post by josh hemholdt on the HOB - won't give it away other than to say you are not correct.

If you announce for UK on national TV, that says, "There, I did it, the whole world watched me do it, so how interested do you think I am in continued attention?" If he announces for us, OSU writes him off as a flake, and their spin doctors explain to all of us how he was never really a take in the first place. [eyeroll]

Reactions: BearBryantsWatch
Man making the announcement so early on national tv has me thinking it's OSU. I just don't see how an Ohio kid coveted by OSU turns them down on national tv.

Maybe I'm wrong and reading to much into it, but I would feel better if he was going to make his decision at a later time with no national audience. Can you imagine the backlash he'd get the entire season if he does spun OSU for UK? Kid's life would be a living hell.

Given that, then here's hoping he delays beyond 8.27. But then if he did that, the pressure on him from OSU would build due to unending contacts which I doubt he wants. Net, while the odds favor OSU & would make you correct, I don't see the 8.27 date as significant to whom he selects. I see it as him wanting to end it.
Recruitment of college athletes is among the most unpredictable of human activities. At the end of the day, none of us knows what high school players will decide. I was just commenting on what the "tea leaves" are telling us since someone else brought that up. An August announcement by a high profile kid who has been recruited hard by his ranked state school usually means he picks the ranked state school. I will be surprised if Smith announces for UK in August. But here's another thing that the tea leaves are telling us - UK will sign a strong class of receivers this year.

His twitter is confusing to watch. It is basically all OSU and UK, with an occasional nod to UC. However, he seems to occasionally "like" little digs at UK. One in particular I saw last week was a tweet with someone saying "Since when does Kentucky think they're a powerhouse after one bowl game?"

That wasn't the exact tweet, but something to that effect.

The chicken voices in my head have spoken. And here is what they said: I will die someday, I will pay my taxes on or before 4/15/18, and Blue Smith will be a Cat.

You're my boy, Blue!!!

Just curious, do the chicken voices in your head say "cock a doodle doo" or "cluck cluck"? Mine usually sa-------hold on, another message coming in, may take a year or two to interpret it, they are usually pretty profound.

Just a thought here, but when it comes to nationally televised announcements, the big names usually win out. And it's the same in basketball. Look how many recruits commit to UK on ESPN. Do you think ESPN would put them on TV if they committed on Penn State in basketball? Since this is nationally televised, look for OSU in my opinion.

Remember Matt Elam was supposed to commit at that all-american game and mysteriously it was pulled. Of course the announcement was he wasn't ready, but I think it's more likely they weren't going to let him pick UK on a national stage.

I know not every announcement is this black and white, just a hunch based on the norm.

Reactions: jauk11
Just a thought here, but when it comes to nationally televised announcements, the big names usually win out. And it's the same in basketball. Look how many recruits commit to UK on ESPN. Do you think ESPN would put them on TV if they committed on Penn State in basketball? Since this is nationally televised, look for OSU in my opinion.

Remember Matt Elam was supposed to commit at that all-american game and mysteriously it was pulled. Of course the announcement was he wasn't ready, but I think it's more likely they weren't going to let him pick UK on a national stage.

I know not every announcement is this black and white, just a hunch based on the norm.

Some truth here. Picking UK on national TV would hair lip Herbstreit for a year.

Just curious, do the chicken voices in your head say "cock a doodle doo" or "cluck cluck"? Mine usually sa-------hold on, another message coming in, may take a year or two to interpret it, they are usually pretty profound.

All of the above. They are constantly arguing and bickering with one another. It's rather difficult for me to make definitive choices based on their ramblings because they seldom ever agree in solidarity. But on this topic they are 100% unanimous:

Blue will be a Cat!

Just a thought here, but when it comes to nationally televised announcements, the big names usually win out. And it's the same in basketball. Look how many recruits commit to UK on ESPN. Do you think ESPN would put them on TV if they committed on Penn State in basketball? Since this is nationally televised, look for OSU in my opinion...

d30abd9bd591a3ebd7cc5c6ea8b33aa14f81dc9bbe0f0ad468433aee969622f5.jpg

whoever he announces for, seems like this would be a big distraction for his team(mates)!

All of the above. They are constantly arguing and bickering with one another. It's rather difficult for me to make definitive choices based on their ramblings because they seldom ever agree in solidarity. But on this topic they are 100% unanimous:

Blue will be a Cat!

I was hoping that was a Radiohead "Paranoid Android" quote.

I like the fact we're starting to really become a legit possible choice for some of these top 100 players while going against the big boys of college football. It's not every day we make a fan of Ohio State sweat before a kid makes his pick. At least not During my life time. If I had to guess, I think it's Ohio State, but boy, do I hope I am wrong! Any player with the name of Blue should be playing at Kentucky. If this kid decides it's Kentucky, It won't be the last for our coaching staff. These guys know what they are doing on the recruiting trail.

Just a thought here, but when it comes to nationally televised announcements, the big names usually win out. And it's the same in basketball. Look how many recruits commit to UK on ESPN. Do you think ESPN would put them on TV if they committed on Penn State in basketball?
If they're 5* - yes. Why not? Net, I think it's the players' quality WAY more so than to whom they are committing.

ADVERTISEMENT