ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing FF last-second shots...Harrison vs. Suggs

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
Now that history has played out, and we can say that neither Aaron Harrison's last-second shot vs. Wisconsin in 2014, nor Jalen Suggs last second shot vs. UCLA was the moment that led to a championship, it is interesting to compare them. This is in no way an attempt to downplay what a great shot Suggs made. Maybe, if anything, it is to resurrect a bit the Harrison shot which somehow seems to already be fading a bit in the universe of great clutch FF shots...

1. Degree of difficulty: Suggs' shot was by far the tougher shot, further out and coming off a dribble. Give him a 10. Harrison's shot was pretty damn far out when you go back and look at it, and was sort of a broken play. Give him an 8.

2. Do-Or-Die Factor: Suggs' shot won the game. That's pretty significant. Give him a 9. But Harrison's shot kept the game from being lost. Kentucky was behind. Miss the shot and the season is over. Give him a 10.

3. Pressurized Performance. UCLA tied the game with 3.3 seconds to go. Gonzaga raced up the floor and Suggs timed the shot perfectly. Again, because the score was tied and teams were racing up the court, it is hard to say how much pressure he felt. 9. Kentucky was attacking a half-court defensive set. The play became a bit broken and the ball couldn't be gotten inside. Harrison must have felt the clock ebbing away, and knew when he saw his brother out of options that he was getting it with zero time to spare. 10.

4. Tournament context. Suggs was clear and away Gonzaga's shining star all the way to the Final Game. But most of the games were blow-outs. He only had the one extraordinary play. 8. Harrison's collection of shots versus Louisville, Michigan and Wisconsin can be viewed as a set, and I firmly believe have never been matched by a single player in NCAA tournament history - not any one shot, but the set of three. One of the frustrations in Kentucky losing in the finals: I really believe if Kentucky wins, Harrison's performance would rightly be seen as in the very top tier of NCAA tournament performances in history. Instead, it feels already a bit undervalued. 10.

Anyway, just some fun on a slow day. If you feel obliged to accuse me of bashing Suggs or Gonzaga, be aware I'm not inclined to respond.

Last edited:
All three of Harrison‘s daggers are far and away better than the one shot by Suggs. Not even a debate. It was Aaron, by the way, OP. 🤔

EDIT: Even just the shot against Wisconsin was better IMO. If he misses, the season is over.

All three of Harrison‘s daggers are far and away better than the one shot by Suggs. Not even a debate. It was Aaron, by the way, OP. 🤔

EDIT: Even just the shot against Wisconsin was better IMO. If he misses, the season is over.
Oops. How did I mix up those twins. I'll fix.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The way the game was played the Suggs shot was more exciting as a highlight. But, it was not a good shot and got that lucky bounce off the backboard. Harrison's shots were dead on. I just hope they start playing that shot over the Laettner one finally. However, as difficult as it is to acknowledge, Laettner was a great college player and had an amazing game in that contest.

I'm not really interested in being objective about it. Suggs shot was incredible, but it didn't really make me do anything other than rewind the dvr and make my wife watch how it all unfolded (she was a Juzang fan because of his IG).

Aaron's game winner, on the other hand, is the most dramatic Kentucky basketball shot of my life. Knight's game winner against tOSU is even a notch below. As pointed out, we were losing and the season would have been over. No OT to fall back on. I went bonkers when the final buzzer sounded on that one.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Honestly, I keep seeing people saying Suggs shot was a lucky bank shot and I don't know if I agree with that. I'm not saying he CALLED bank but it's pretty common to see guys bank it in from that distance when all their momentum is moving forward. You still have to get it up there on the right line moving like that. Maybe you can call it a little luck, but that's not ALL luck. It takes skill to get it on the middle of the square like that right on the right line.

Reactions: ryanbruner
Suggs' shot was a true last-second shot that won the game the moment it went through the net.

Wisconsin actually got a pretty look on a 15' jumper that damn near went in and would've won it after having over 5 seconds to get down the floor.

In terms of being more memorable, it has got to be Suggs. Especially if there's no COVID and that's a packed house reacting to that going in. Each shot was equally impressive to me.

Reactions: YouKay
which one had a deficit to work against in hopes of making a 3?

Suggs did that because of time, the score was even.

ADVERTISEMENT