ADVERTISEMENT

Committee rankings are ridiculous

The best system is CLEARLY

8 team play off.

Each power 5 conference winner gets in, top 3 NON power 5 teams fill the remaining spots.

Little to no subjectivity. In a power 5 and want in? Win your conference.

Plus it actually gives non power 5 teams a chance to at least make the playoffs

I completely disagree. The idea that there are three non-P5 teams that deserve a shot at the NC over other P5 teams is an odd position, IMO.

And, a conference championship is crap if you are a 5 loss UVA team and have a crazy win over Clemson. Who in the world wants UVA in a tournament for the NC. No one.

There are rarely 3 teams, let alone 8 that can make a case at the end of the year for a shot at the NC. Keep the underdog scenario in basketball.

Reactions: The-Hack
It is basically the same thing with the NCAA tournament. They say conference tournaments don't matter until UK loses in one and drops 2 or 3 seeds.

Bama is the most underrated team. They lost squeakers against LSU and Auburn...They beat the crap out of everyone else.
Everyone else = Duke, Tennessee, Mississippi State. Big whoop. Alabama is coasting off of previous year Success. Their best win was against 7-5 Texas Am. They beat 3 bowl teams.

Penn State beat 9-3 Michigan. They beat 9-3 Iowa. They beat 8-4 Indiana. They beat 7-5 Pittsburgh. They beat 6 bowl teams.

Excellent evidence to keep playoffs at 4 teams and that's it.

You can argue Penn State is not as good as Florida or Auburn. Or that Oklahoma is better than Utah. Or Alabama is better than Wisconsin. Scream and yell till tour blue in the face.

Doesn't matter. LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson are the only teams that matter. Whoever the 4th team that gets in is lucky to make it. I don't care who that team is and no one else gets to complain about not making it.

I don't want to see any other teams blown out and possibly injure players from the best teams. Last year, Clemson thwomped Notre Dame 30-3. Alabama was ahead of Oklahoma 31-10 at halftime. Why on earth add more of that into the mix.
Except that if if Auburn & Alabama were where they should be, then UK would get placed in a better bowl.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I think the “LSU best resume in the country” claim is very debatable. They had a nice win over a ranked (at the time) Texas team that is now unranked and had a very disappointing season. They’ve had some good quality wins in the SEC.

Based on the latest rankings, OSU has 2 top 10 wins, 3 top 15 wins, and 4 top 20 wins, all of which have been in convincing fashion. I don’t think any other team can make that same claim. So, I’d say it’s more than just the eye test that they are ranked #1.

I think your hatred for the Big 10 is skewing your vision. Big 10 is a very solid conference. Most would say a close second to the SEC.

You're right, the Big 10 is a solid conference. It's easily the second-best conference. But, it is not the SEC.

LSU will have won at Texas (better than any OOC win OSU has), Florida at home, Auburn, @ Alabama, and Georgia at a neutral site. There is no team that can match that.

Sorry, even if OSU beats wisconsin again, that wisconsin team lost to Illinois. OSU has a good resume, and I have no problem with them being seeded above clemson (even though I think clemson will beat them) b/c OSU has done more against a better schedule. Using that same logic, LSU deserves to be ahead of OSU and play Utah in Atlanta (as opposed to having to play Clemson in a semi)

You do have some valid points. But as you say the eye test tOSU HAS A better overall team than LSU, imo. I do believe they can match up on offense, but Chase Young is a game changer on defense and I don't see LSU with that type of defensive game changer. Both are very good teams and deserve their rankings. But, being ranked 1 means you get a big advantage, by not having to face Clemson in the first round. I believe the top 3 teams are on a different level than all the 1 loss teams, including UGA. Teams 2 and 3 will be in a dogfight type game, while I think the number 1 team will have a relatively easy win over number 4.

I just don't buy the "eye test" as a great evaluating tool. The committee is supposed to be focused on data and facts with some added knowledge from "football people" (though I think that last part is a farce given that football people like Condi Rice and a bunch of athletic directors who never played the game have been on the committee).

It's easier to "look great" when you have far superior talent vs. anyone else in your conference. The speed of Ohio state is night and day vs. what they face in the big 10. They'd fare well in the SEC too, but the talent gap is not nearly as wide and they would have had a much higher chance of losing a game if they had to play teams like UF, UGA, LSU, Auburn, or Bama.

8 team play off.

Each power 5 conference winner gets in, top 3 NON power 5 teams fill the remaining spots.

Disagree. This year, there are clearly 3 teams a cut above the rest. Why do we need five extra teams to muddy the water? The only valid reason that 8 would be better this year is that it wouldn't give the 1 seed (given that the 1 seed will be controversial) as much of an advantage in round 1 (ie. getting to play utah vs. having to play clemson)

Everyone else = Duke, Tennessee, Mississippi State. Big whoop. Alabama is coasting off of previous year Success. Their best win was against 7-5 Texas Am. They beat 3 bowl teams.

Penn State beat 9-3 Michigan. They beat 9-3 Iowa. They beat 8-4 Indiana. They beat 7-5 Pittsburgh. They beat 6 bowl teams.

I agree that Alabama CANNOT be rewarded this year given that they basically beat no one of consequence. The same cannot be said of GA, FLA, and Auburn. Those teams did more than Penn state. Auburn is debatable with three losses, but they played a murderous schedule. I think UF and UGA should clearly be ahead of Wisconsin and PSU, and if Wisconsin loses to OSU, then they should drop behind Auburn too.

8 team play off.

I honestly think this might be the worst idea I've heard yet.

8 team play off.

That's stupid. So you want to give 3 cupcakes like Memphis, Cincy and Boise the 3 spots over teams like Oklahoma, Georgia, Penn State, etc.

LSU will have won at Texas (better than any OOC win OSU has)
I would say OSU destroying (42-0) a 10-2 Cincinnati team that’s very solid (top 20) is more impressive than LSU narrowly beating a 7-5 Texas team that’s currently unranked.

I would say OSU destroying (42-0) a 10-2 Cincinnati team that’s very solid (top 20) is more impressive than LSU narrowly beating a 7-5 Texas team that’s currently unranked.

I would tend to agree.

That said, if LSU beats Georgia convincingly this Saturday they should be back to #1. They won't be though.

I honestly think this might be the worst idea I've heard yet.
Agreed. It's so ludicrous that I wonder if he made a mistake when posting it, if he meant to post three at large team, one of which must be a midmajor. THREE midmajors in a playoff guaranteed? Laughable. I'd be generous and give them one, and that's being very generous. But four teams are best anyway. This isn't March Madness.

None of the teams mentioned above could come within 2 touchdowns of Alabama.

The SEC is the only league to have an undefeated team and a one loss team playing for their conference championship. This is more proof the SEC is the toughest conference, all other conference championship games pale in comparison.

ADVERTISEMENT