ADVERTISEMENT

Committee rankings are ridiculous

STUCKNBIG10

All-SEC
Aug 30, 2006
Where to begin, this is a total farce with constant moving targets. At the end of the day, there are no rules, they just move the goalposts depending on what team they are reviewing. A few examples:

-Ohio state is deemed to be #1 based on eye test. There is no reasonable explanation as to why they're above LSU except for eye test (and even that is questionable, as LSU has looked amazing).

-LSU has easily the best resume in the country and they inexplicably are dropped b/c of defense. Uh, their third string D is in and gives up 14 garbage points to Arkansas, so the committee decides that Dave Aranda's group is deficient.

-Utah has beaten NO ONE. Their best wins are ARIZONA STATE AND WASHINGTON. Two 7-5 unranked teams are their best wins. They lost to a mediocre USC. HOW ARE THEY 5????

-Penn State has one good win (Michigan). Why does the committee love them so???

-Wisconsin lost to freaking Illinois who just lost at home to Northwestern. WHY are they in the top 10? Even if the committee thinks minnesota is good (who Wisconsin just beat), why did they drop minnesota ten spots for losing to them? Which is it? Does wisconsin suck and therefore that is a bad loss? Or, is Wisconsin good...and in that case, why drop them 10 spots?

-Minnesota, who now must SUCK, beat Penn state. Why are they ten spots below penn state who has the same record?

I agree with Auburn being above Alabama. One of the few things they got right.

-Why don't they like Florida? Florida beat Auburn, and they gave both LSU and Georgia very tough games. Florida should be ahead of Penn state and wisconsin.

Watch, they'll move the goalposts again next week based on what it is they decide to prioritize. Oh, we want to get a PAC 10 team in - well, UTAH has a great defense!!! They really clamped down on colorado!

Oh, we want to get Oklahoma in b/c of the brand. Well, Oklahoma swept two games against Baylor (who we hated a few weeks ago but we pumped them up 7 spots after they showed their manhood against kansas).

Total joke.

I’ll say beating Iowa was a good win, but in their last 4 games, they lost to Minnesota (18th), Ohio State (1st), best IU by a touchdown, and beat Rutgers by 19 points.

PSU finished 2-2, and is ranked solidly ahead of Bama?

Let’s just be blunt: the chances of an expansion of the Playoffs is nil: if expanded to 8 or more teams, most years would see 3 of the final four teams being from the SEC, and maybe all 4, if someone could knock Clemson off in the first round.

With only 4 teams, it allows the committee to use the SEC title game as a limitation on SEC participation.

I hope Georgia smokes LSU, and both get in.

And I hope whoever draws PSU sends ‘em back to Happy Valley with a worse loss than we gave ‘em last year!

Excellent evidence to keep playoffs at 4 teams and that's it.

You can argue Penn State is not as good as Florida or Auburn. Or that Oklahoma is better than Utah. Or Alabama is better than Wisconsin. Scream and yell till tour blue in the face.

Doesn't matter. LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson are the only teams that matter. Whoever the 4th team that gets in is lucky to make it. I don't care who that team is and no one else gets to complain about not making it.

I don't want to see any other teams blown out and possibly injure players from the best teams. Last year, Clemson thwomped Notre Dame 30-3. Alabama was ahead of Oklahoma 31-10 at halftime. Why on earth add more of that into the mix.

Bama has literally only 1 quality win against a top 25 team (24th to be exact).

Their resume isn't much more impressive than Utah's.

Also LSU is ranked lower because it's obvious that their defense is garbage. As per both Ole Miss and Vandy scoring over 30 on them.

Its pretty obvious if Rhys Plumlee ran all over them all night that Justin Fields is going to light them up like a Christmas tree.

Reactions: TM2013
Where to begin, this is a total farce with constant moving targets. At the end of the day, there are no rules, they just move the goalposts depending on what team they are reviewing. A few examples:

-Ohio state is deemed to be #1 based on eye test. There is no reasonable explanation as to why they're above LSU except for eye test (and even that is questionable, as LSU has looked amazing).

-LSU has easily the best resume in the country and they inexplicably are dropped b/c of defense. Uh, their third string D is in and gives up 14 garbage points to Arkansas, so the committee decides that Dave Aranda's group is deficient.

-Utah has beaten NO ONE. Their best wins are ARIZONA STATE AND WASHINGTON. Two 7-5 unranked teams are their best wins. They lost to a mediocre USC. HOW ARE THEY 5????

-Wisconsin lost to freaking Illinois who just lost at home to Northwestern. WHY are they in the top 10? Even if the committee thinks minnesota is good (who Wisconsin just beat), why did they drop minnesota ten spots for losing to them? Which is it? Does wisconsin suck and therefore that is a bad loss? Or, is Wisconsin good...and in that case, why drop them 10 spots?

-Minnesota, who now must SUCK, beat Penn state. Why are they ten spots below penn state who has the same record?

-Why don't they like Florida? Florida beat Auburn, and they gave both LSU and Georgia very tough games. Florida should be ahead of Penn state and wisconsin.

Watch, they'll move the goalposts again next week based on what it is they decide to prioritize. Oh, we want to get a PAC 10 team in - well, UTAH has a great defense!!! They really clamped down on colorado!

Oh, we want to get Oklahoma in b/c of the brand. Well, Oklahoma swept two games against Baylor (who we hated a few weeks ago but we pumped them up 7 spots after they showed their manhood against kansas).

Total joke.
I’m OK with OSU being number 1 and LSU being number 2.

First, I think OSU is ranked number one because they have appeared dominant in all phases of the game in every single game. LSU has looked shakey on defense several times (Vandy and Ole Miss scored 38 & 37 points respectively and gained a ton of yards). Add to it that everyone was giving LSU a lot of credit for beating “then No 1” Alabama. I believe we now see that Bama is (was) a good team but not a great team this year given the fragility of Tua.

Second, the big 10 is a pretty darned good conference this year....on par with the SEC IMO. OSU whipped PSU and Michigan to finish out the season. I see conference level of difficulty for both schools as a push.

Impact of SEC/Big 10 Championships: Today OSU is #1, but LSU clearly has a tougher task in the conference championship with UGA. IF (and it is a big “if”) LSU beats UGA and OSU beats Wisconsin, that will be a big factor in the final playoff poll. In such a scenario, I expect the final ranking to be switched with LSU entering the playoffs at #1, OSU #2, Clemson #3, and a rugby scrum between Utah, Oklahoma, and Baylor to finish out the picture.

Regardless, someone has to win two really tough games to claim the national championship.

Pass the popcorn and GBB!

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
IMO, their or some decision maker's goal is to have teams from different geographic regions. Last week the move of osu to #1 was designed to insulate them against possible loss to Wisc or whomever they played in the championship game. The move of LSU to two means that the loser of the SEC definitely gets knocked out if it's UGA and , write this down, knocks out LSU if they lose. I believe it would be a wrong move, but can see them doing it.
Clemson will get in.
With one SEC team out, that paves the way for Utah or Oklahoma.

I believe the four will be ohiiiiiiiiiiiiiio st, LSU, Clemson, Utah

OSU is number one in the various analytics systems too. More than just eye test.

LSU’s defense is meh beyond just the Arkansas game.

Sooners have only played Baylor once as of today.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
What’s happening with Minnesota and Penn State is precisely what happened between us and Florida last year. It’s all about perception. Traditional powers will get the favorable look every time.

Have to go to 8 teams. Winners of each power 5 conference and 3 at large bids

NOOOOOOO!!!

I really hope they don’t succumb to this drum beat. I see the OP’s issue, but I don’t completely agree. PSU does seem annually to get the benefit of every doubt and Utah has not had any special wins. But, whether OSU is better than LSU is a very close call.

I actually think the ball should move week to week based upon matchups. That said, I really hope they don’t water this down by expanding to 8 teams. Ugh!!!

IMO, their or some decision maker's goal is to have teams from different geographic regions. Last week the move of osu to #1 was designed to insulate them against possible loss to Wisc or whomever they played in the championship game. The move of LSU to two means that the loser of the SEC definitely gets knocked out if it's UGA and , write this down, knocks out LSU if they lose. I believe it would be a wrong move, but can see them doing it.
Clemson will get in.
With one SEC team out, that paves the way for Utah or Oklahoma.

I believe the four will be ohiiiiiiiiiiiiiio st, LSU, Clemson, Utah

The move of OSU was more than likely the fact that they mandhandled a ranked UM while LSU manhandled an unranked A&M. Those two teams are clearly deserving of the top.

We disagree about LSU. I think LSU and OSU stay in the top 4 if they lose this weekend. If Clemson loses, I am not as sure, because they have played no one.

In ranking Auburn and Alabama outside the top 10, this will greatly impact the bowl pecking order for the SEC.....This could likely drop UK to the Belk or even the Liberty.....

Reactions: RocknRollCats
The move of OSU was more than likely the fact that they mandhandled a ranked UM while LSU manhandled an unranked A&M. Those two teams are clearly deserving of the top.

We disagree about LSU. I think LSU and OSU stay in the top 4 if they lose this weekend. If Clemson loses, I am not as sure, because they have played no one.
Agree re: Clemson.

You can argue Penn State is not as good as Florida or Auburn. Or that Oklahoma is better than Utah. Or Alabama is better than Wisconsin. Scream and yell till tour blue in the face.

Doesn't matter. LSU, Ohio State, and Clemson are the only teams that matter. Whoever the 4th team that gets in is lucky to make it. I don't care who that team is and no one else gets to complain about not making it.

I don't want to see any other teams blown out and possibly injure players from the best teams. Last year, Clemson thwomped Notre Dame 30-3. Alabama was ahead of Oklahoma 31-10 at halftime. Why on earth add more of that into the mix.
This. The rest are immaterial.

Why people want more risk of top teams losing top players before the championship game & thus affecting that result escapes me. Hell, the top seniors on those teams don't want to risk their NFL $$$.

Sure sometimes somebody gets left out but having a 4 team playoff virtually ensures the 2 best teams are in it. That is a much better situation than trying to select the best 2. IMHO the 4 best teams (as of today) in no particular order are LSU, tOSU, Clemson and take your pick for #4.

Peace

First, I think OSU is ranked number one because they have appeared dominant in all phases of the game in every single game. LSU has looked shakey on defense several times (Vandy and Ole Miss scored 38 & 37 points respectively and gained a ton of yards). Add to it that everyone was giving LSU a lot of credit for beating “then No 1” Alabama. I believe we now see that Bama is (was) a good team but not a great team this year given the fragility of Tua.

Second, the big 10 is a pretty darned good conference this year....on par with the SEC IMO. OSU whipped PSU and Michigan to finish out the season. I see conference level of difficulty for both schools as a push.

Impact of SEC/Big 10 Championships: Today OSU is #1, but LSU clearly has a tougher task in the conference championship with UGA. IF (and it is a big “if”) LSU beats UGA and OSU beats Wisconsin, that will be a big factor in the final playoff poll. In such a scenario, I expect the final ranking to be switched with LSU entering the playoffs at #1, OSU #2, Clemson #3, and a rugby scrum between Utah, Oklahoma, and Baylor to finish out the picture.

Regardless, someone has to win two really tough games to claim the national championship.

My only issue with what you say is that LSU getting the 1 seed matters b/c playing Utah in round 1 is a huge advantage vs. having to play Clemson.

I hate Ohio state. I don't want them to win a national title. If they have to play both Clemson and LSU to win it, then I like the odds. If they only have to play Utah and then the winner of LSU / Clemson, then their odds go up exponentially.

Sure sometimes somebody gets left out but having a 4 team playoff virtually ensures the 2 best teams are in it. That is a much better situation than trying to select the best 2. IMHO the 4 best teams (as of today) in no particular order are LSU, tOSU, Clemson and take your pick for #4.

Peace
I agree with you analogy, but the real difference is the quality of opponents that LSU plays vs OHST. I don't see but maybe 1 or two teams in the Big Easy making .500 in the west division of the SEC. Actually I don't think any of the Big Easy's could hold up to playing Bama, Auburn, LSU, TA&M and others in the SEC year after year. They all would come down a notch or two with that competition.

Reactions: JASUN74
Have to go to 8 teams. Winners of each power 5 conference and 3 at large bids
Not sure that would be any different. Not all the power 5 champions really deserve to be in the top 8. So 5 of the slots will be occupied by some questionable teams. Plus it wouldn't fix the current issue. The current issue is that it is too debatable after the first 2 teams for the at large bids to be fair. In this situation you would still have basically the same system since only 3 at large teams that deserve to be there can be added creating the same arguement. If you go to 8 then all of them have to be at large bids. No conference gets an automatic entry to the playoffs.

Reactions: JASUN74
Every undefeated team is ahead of every 1 loss team, and every 1-loss P5 team is ahead of every 2-loss team. You can argue with it, but there's certainly a logic behind that and it explains Utah, Oklahoma, and Baylor.

Wisconsin clearly has a strong resume with 3 wins over ranked teams. They have a bad loss but better wins than Florida. Penn State beat Iowa and Michigan which gives them more wins against ranked teams than Florida, and you complain that they should be ranked behind Florida... while they ARE ranked behind Florida. Alabama beat no one and lost to the only two ranked teams they played. Auburn lost 3 games. Not sure what you want. This post reeks of SEC homerism.

Do away with the playoff. Let the conference championships mean what they used to. As long as teams that finish no better than 3rd in their conference are selected over conference winners, playoffs are useless in deciding best teams. Bowl games would mean more. Players will be more willing to play in them.

So, if an average UVA team upsets an undefeated Clemson, UVA goes to a playoff? And, if a G6 conference is tougher than a P5 in a given year, tough? And, if the two best teams are in one conference, who cares?

Nah.

The current method is just fine.

Reactions: STUCKNBIG10

Because that gives us Football Junkies another week and Four more games to watch. Lol. I know what you’re saying for though. I do love that it would give teams like Kentucky a better chance to get there. I’m looking for us to start being a top ten team year in and year out from now on.

It is what it is though and I still think in the next few years We’re going to take one of those four spots. We’ll be hard to beat next year. Our Defense will be top five in the country I believe and we should have a really good offense to. I’m excited to death actually about next year. Anyway, it’s working out now, but I really think it will go to 8 in the next few years. Especially if Bama misses two in a row!! Hahaha. Nick will threaten them and they’ll fold. Lol.

6 team playoff if any expansion at all. Like the NFL conference playoffs. Top 2 teams get a bye. P5 conference winners and one at large. Current 4 team model also fine. No 8!

That’s what I remind myself of. We can all have our opinions on who gets the 4th spot if Georgia loses, but once the field is set it will be won or lost on the field not in some poll or committee room. And I think almost no one would argue with the top 3.

Auburn is the team really undervalued. Can't believe they aren't higher. They should've moved up to about 7 and bama just behind them.

There’s some legitimate debates to be had but I’m just glad college football got away from county fair pageantry and has a playoff. The way past champions were decided was an absolute joke, top two usually never playing with corny bowl and conference tie ins. There’s no telling how many of those voted champions would have lost in a playoff, history would be different for sure.

Bama has literally only 1 quality win against a top 25 team (24th to be exact).

Their resume isn't much more impressive than Utah's.

Also LSU is ranked lower because it's obvious that their defense is garbage. As per both Ole Miss and Vandy scoring over 30 on them.

Its pretty obvious if Rhys Plumlee ran all over them all night that Justin Fields is going to light them up like a Christmas tree.
Bama is the most underrated team. They lost squeakers against LSU and Auburn...They beat the crap out of everyone else.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I think the current system is mostly fine, but we’ll see what things look like after the conference championship games.
If LSU and/or OSU get beat, it will be interesting to see what the committee does.

Utah is a solid team...USC was a fluke, similar to USCjr and Georgia...
Also, iirc their field goal kicker really screwed that game (sound familar?)...iirc he missed some early tries

Total joke.

I think the “LSU best resume in the country” claim is very debatable. They had a nice win over a ranked (at the time) Texas team that is now unranked and had a very disappointing season. They’ve had some good quality wins in the SEC.

Based on the latest rankings, OSU has 2 top 10 wins, 3 top 15 wins, and 4 top 20 wins, all of which have been in convincing fashion. I don’t think any other team can make that same claim. So, I’d say it’s more than just the eye test that they are ranked #1.

I think your hatred for the Big 10 is skewing your vision. Big 10 is a very solid conference. Most would say a close second to the SEC.

Total joke.

You do have some valid points. But as you say the eye test tOSU HAS A better overall team than LSU, imo. I do believe they can match up on offense, but Chase Young is a game changer on defense and I don't see LSU with that type of defensive game changer. Both are very good teams and deserve their rankings. But, being ranked 1 means you get a big advantage, by not having to face Clemson in the first round. I believe the top 3 teams are on a different level than all the 1 loss teams, including UGA. Teams 2 and 3 will be in a dogfight type game, while I think the number 1 team will have a relatively easy win over number 4.

The best system is CLEARLY

8 team play off.

Each power 5 conference winner gets in, top 3 NON power 5 teams fill the remaining spots.

Little to no subjectivity. In a power 5 and want in? Win your conference.

Plus it actually gives non power 5 teams a chance to at least make the playoffs

Reactions: UK_fanatic
I think the “LSU best resume in the country” claim is very debatable. They had a nice win over a ranked (at the time) Texas team that is now unranked and had a very disappointing season. They’ve had some good quality wins in the SEC.

Based on the latest rankings, OSU has 2 top 10 wins, 3 top 15 wins, and 4 top 20 wins, all of which have been in convincing fashion. I don’t think any other team can make that same claim. So, I’d say it’s more than just the eye test that they are ranked #1.

I think your hatred for the Big 10 is skewing your vision. Big 10 is a very solid conference. Most would say a close second to the SEC.
As much as I detest ohiiiiiiiiiiiio st and its fans (if they played against the taliban I'd pull for the guys riding the camels), this may be their year. Only consolation is that it happens after UM leaves.

ADVERTISEMENT